homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Testament of Mary: brilliant or basically bollocks?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Testament of Mary: brilliant or basically bollocks?
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is, of course, the book by Colm Toibin which was critically praised and on an initial Booker list. It is short (always something I prefer) and undoubtedly Toibin can produce excellent prose.

But the whole premise seems somewhere between pointless and plain silly, and I wonder if it's just me. I don't lightly diss accepted Great Writers so have I got it wrong?

Basically it's about an embittered Mary, who to the end of her life thinks her son had basically just gone a bit loopy and surrounded himself with a group of misfit muppets which got him crucified. Others, who founded the Church are trying to get her to endorse The Message and if they can't do that, at least make sure she is kept away effectively under house arrest so she can do no harm.

And yet miracles are portrayed as events that took place, including the raising of Lazarus, but not, of course a word about the Resurrection.

I wonder why anyone wants to explore this? I mean you could do this to anyone by just making it up. Maybe the Buddha kept a harem and died of excessive sex. But what's the point - unless it's just for a laugh.

If nobody else has read the book, this will fall like a stone. But feel free to mount a stout defence of the book and prove that the only bollocks is in this post.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't read it, but have read some reviews. My initial instinct as a more theologically conservative Christian is to call it 'bollocks', but I feel hesitant to say that. It is an understandable reaction to focus on the earthy humanity of Mary, given the piety that has grown around her. I am sure much of the adulation - bordering on worship - of Mary does her a great disservice, and distorts our perception of her. The gospels, after all, hint at her doubts (see Mark 3:20-35).

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First off, it is a gorgeous object.
But I was really disappointed in it. It seemed to me to radiate a sense of male or adolescent "rebellion" and desire to shock. He obviously thought he was making a very important contribution to... something. Literature? Religion? Faith? Righting some wrong or other?
Can't even say I'm glad I read it.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like bollocks.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't work out who the intended audience was. The book clearly presupposes familiarity with the gospel story, which is something you just can't take for granted in a general readership. My daughter's book group read it recently and most of them had no idea who most of the characters referred to (but mostly not named) were.

Also, you need to know a lot about the world in which the story is set, for instance that Ephesus was the centre for the worship of Artemis, a fertility goddess.

And why was the Cana story placed near the end of the public life?

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
The gospels, after all, hint at her doubts (see Mark 3:20-35).

Well, not really. "Those coming from him," perhaps his family or associates seemed fixing to make an intervention. Maybe Mom was in the thick of it. Or maybe, upon hearing that "those coming from him" were fixing to butt in, Mom decided this was an instance where her presence would be helpful (to Jesus against the buttinskis).

In any event, this drive-by proof-texting is thrown up to provide cover for the partisan flag-waving of your preceding sentences.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's interesting that I actually found it quite offensive, and in it's way seems to want to offend as did Rushdie's book, for instance making Mary a secret devotee of Artemis.

I can understand someone who rejects Christianity being interested in how it got off the ground, but there is no attempt at this. As someone else pointed out very few people are named, and there are rather sinister figures, like her "minders".

Ho hum, maybe I was hoping for some alternative way of reading it. If, as it seems, most people think as I do that it is a waste of some undoubtedly beautiful text, then this thread will get very boring very quickly, and gently fade away

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too was disappointed. It is a really dull book, told in a dull way. It could have been so much better.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silent Acolyte
In any event, this drive-by proof-texting is thrown up to provide cover for the partisan flag-waving of your preceding sentences.

And this jargon laden comment has been concocted to avoid responding to the point I made in the penultimate and antepenultimate sentences of my previous post.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It reminds me of something out of the pen of Dan Brown. It is just plausible enough and tangentially related to the truth to interest readers, yet is ultimately nothing more than a figment of the author's imagination.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:
It reminds me of something out of the pen of Dan Brown. It is just plausible enough and tangentially related to the truth to interest readers, yet is ultimately nothing more than a figment of the author's imagination.

I haven't read it, but I believe from reviews there are two crucial differences. The first is that the author knows it's a figment of his imagination and intends that the reader know that too; and secondly that by all accounts Toibin can actually string sentences together and come up with something that makes sense.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear God how many more novels of the DH Lawrence "The man Who Died" ilk need to be written before someone yells "wanking plagiarists"?

Jesus was a very naughty boy who got it wrong.

Shit. Why didn't I think of that plot? Oh? Because 45 others have already and only Monty Python were funny?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

I suppose one of the - surely un intended - crumbs that a believer could drag from the book, is the cynicism that would be necessary on the part of those who started the gospels, to the extent of virtually keeping Mary under house arrest in case she exposed their fabrication.

I read an article by Toibin in which he said he was influenced by the work of Geza Vermes. He doesn't seem to have learned much, since Vermes' views, whilst clearly at odds with orthodox Christianity, are cogent and quite interesting. I don't agree with them but don't dismiss them either.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We read it as the December book for the Ship Book Club. Although it's a short book, I found it a slow read because the prose is so dense. Most people who read it hated the depiction of Mary. There was a bit of a spin off here

The Cana story wasn't that late in the telling of the book - and traditionally the Easter week liturgy includes things like the scourging of the temple, which are earlier in different books.

I found some of the ideas fascinating - how the Gospels were written, what happened to Lazarus, what it must have been like to live with Jesus - and it brought home to me how little we really do know about Mary and Jesus from the Gospels.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I too read the reviews and decided that the book wasn't for me.

The play based on the book is currently on at the Barbican, with Fiona Shaw as Mary. I know two people who have seen it - one thought it was absolutely brilliant, the other thought it was complete crap. Both are Christians. So I guess you pay yer money and take yer choice. I'm not planning to see it.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't find it offensive, certainly not any moreso than other secular presentations of Jesus - JC Superstar etc.

I just found it boring. Dull dull dull. A short book that felt like a really long book.

My one point of interest was that it struck me as what you might have thought Jesus was like this if you only ever read John's Gospel - sort of ethereal. And I think all the incidents were from John. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it; and if you must read it borrow don't buy.

--------------------
He hath loved us, He hath loved us, because he would love

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Leprechaun. There are better novels that deal with similar material. Good gosh, BEN-HUR is better -- at least you get some good chariot races for your money.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm someone else who found it dull and struggled to finish it, short though it is. However, it was given to me by a friend whose husband had committed suicide. She thought it was an accurate and moving account of a mother's bereavement, and wanted to give it to her mother-in-law.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I'm with Leprechaun. There are better novels that deal with similar material. Good gosh, BEN-HUR is better -- at least you get some good chariot races for your money.

Not to mention a lovely Stephen Boyd all oiled-up in the bath house [Biased]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
We read it as the December book for the Ship Book Club. Although it's a short book, I found it a slow read because the prose is so dense. Most people who read it hated the depiction of Mary. There was a bit of a spin off here
*snip*
I found some of the ideas fascinating - how the Gospels were written, what happened to Lazarus, what it must have been like to live with Jesus - and it brought home to me how little we really do know about Mary and Jesus from the Gospels.

There is, of course, Richard Beard's book, "Lazarus is Dead," which I have wanted to read, thinking that being resurrected must complicate one's social interactions greatly (and, as a former bureaucrat, I can only begin to imagine what this does to one's legal status).

Discussing the Toibin book yesterday at a reception, I found that one of my interlocutors sincerely believed that it was a recently-discovered biblical text and accordingly likely to bring down the Roman Catholic Church (but not the others??). She was astonished, then angry, when I pointed out it was a novel.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Augustine, don't ever let your friend get onto the Internet. Even email would be perilous for her, all those Nigerians who want to share their lotto winnings...

--------------------

Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think its very much rooted in Toibin's context as an Irish author of a particular generation. The older generation of Irish liberal intellectuals (which includes most artists and authors) still think there's something edgy and radical about questioning traditional Catholicism, which really isn't the case in Ireland or anywhere else in the 21st century. So 'The Testament of Mary' is an incredibly obvious book for an Irish author of Toibin's generation to write.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yerevan is, I think, right in this. Criticizing Xty and Catholicism was daring when I was in Ireland in the 1970s but I suspect would have less traction now-- it would continue to be a preoccupation for Toibin's generation.

As a sidenote, my Gospel-of-Mary friend studiously ignored me at my local coffeehouse yesterday. I will file this under the social consequences of querying apocryphal gospels.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
But the whole premise seems somewhere between pointless and plain silly, and I wonder if it's just me. I don't lightly diss accepted Great Writers so have I got it wrong?

Basically it's about an embittered Mary, who to the end of her life thinks her son had basically just gone a bit loopy and surrounded himself with a group of misfit muppets which got him crucified. Others, who founded the Church are trying to get her to endorse The Message and if they can't do that, at least make sure she is kept away effectively under house arrest so she can do no harm.

And yet miracles are portrayed as events that took place, including the raising of Lazarus, but not, of course a word about the Resurrection.

Bumping this thread up as I've just finished the book. I don't think the idea of it is pointless - as others have pointed out, speculating on what isn't written about Biblical characters is nothing new, and I think potentially useful - the name for the technique escapes me, but isn't meditating on the scriptures and imagining oneself a witness to/participant in the actual events considered a legitimate spiritual practice? Of course, having read the book I'm not suggesting that this is what Toibin was doing, but it did remind me of meditative exercises I have done in the past.

I thought the book was pretty cynical, but I didn't dislike it - just disagreed with where it was going. I also was struck by the description of Lazarus, who in this interpretation was much more god-like than Jesus. In that sense it kind of reminded me of Jesus Christ, Superstar - where Jesus comes across as the unhinged one, whilst Judas is far more sympathetic and rational.

Re the final point quoted above from the OP, I thought the Resurrection was talked about - but as far as I could tell it was presented as the shared dream between Mary and Mary, which was seized upon by the 'minder' who heard it all before they thought to stay quiet, and wrote it down as what had actually happened.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

Jack the Lass:
I realise I might be keeping this thread on life support when it should be allowed to pass quietly . . but I think there are some interesting questions about authorial intent, which are relevant not just to lit crit (which I am not that well up on) but also understanding the Bible.

Trouble is the question in my mind is hard to frame, but let me try.

If you start by saying Toibin doesn't have to have any "goal" or "point to make" then I think it makes his book trivial. Like a book on Nelson Mandela being obsessed with getting it off with white inmates at Robbin Island. That's a pretty sick idea and for an author just to say I'm not intending anything but just to write prose that you may like to read, is in IMO a cop-out. Nor am I aware that Toibin has said that.

But nor has he said clearly what he had in mind. He states in one interview that he had read Geza Vermes a lot, but like I said earlier, he hasn't learned much from him. All the miracle stories which he seems to write of as factual are taken from John which is generally held to be the least reliable. He has Christ explicitly claiming to be the Son of God, which is something he is generally not though to have done. Even more odd: In the miracle stories, where Christ speaks it is in old (KJV) English, thees thous and that.

Which makes me think he is not aiming at suggesting these things occurred, and since I believe he is no sort of believer, it would be odd for him to do so. But if he is just taking them as stories, the book becomes really odd, since no stories are likely to have circulated during Mary's lifetime.

An interesting comparison is with Gabriel Garcia Marques' book "100 years of solitude" where he does sort of explain that he is deliberately seeing life through the mind of a simple peasant from Antioquia (sort of the backjungle). So priests do levitate, there are showers of butterflies, but the government inspired train massacre never happened because the story was suppressed.

So I really wonder what he is getting at.

Honest, I will not keep this thread alive if no one else does. But it is a long while since I read a book from someone who I respect as a writer as much as Colm Toibin, but which I honestly thought was beautifully crafted bullshit. So it sort of bugs me. As you may have noticed.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016