homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Praying to the Porcelain God and Other Joys of Intoxication (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Praying to the Porcelain God and Other Joys of Intoxication
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
some of us are happy chatty euphoric drunks, who after the back-slapping, hale-fellow-well-met camaraderie of community intoxication settle down to sleep the load off, waking up somewhat subdued the next morning.

Most of the people who think they are the life of the party while drunk are only the life of the party to other people who are also drunk.
Keenly observed, but you've turned my "camaraderie of community intoxication" to a boorish "life of the party."
quote:
I drink, but I pace myself. And so I've often watched parties go from really enjoyable when people are sober or moderately intoxicated, to not very enjoyable as more and more people get to the point where everything they do is uproariously funny and should be laughed at as loudly as possible. I'm quite sure they're happy,...
No doubt there is some Principal of Proximately of Intoxication. Teetotalers rarely can have fun with falling down drunks, and vice verse. But, a party needn't be sundered along such a bright line. When folk don't share a fellow feeling, whether too distantly under-intoxicated or over-intoxicated, neither is likely to be fully comfortable.
quote:
...but as a person standing nearby who's working to ensure I stay under the blood alcohol limit, being in the company of these happy, chatty euphoric drunks starts becoming a chore.
Indeed, and you'd lighten your mood and ours by moving along. Perhaps you'd feel more comfortable in the kitchen, while me and my friends are being mutually witty and charming out on the porch.

I don't usually share the company of enthusiastic hockey fans, unless I have to. So, I move along to be out of ear shot of the television.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could write pages and pages about this topic...but I won't cause I'm fixin to meet some frineds for drinks in a little bit.

In my experience, most folks who end up sick as dogs the next morning don't set out to get that hammered. A couple of beers turns into many beers, then someone pulls out a bottle or a mason jar and a shot seems like a good idea, and two or three more seem like an even better idea and then they're sitting in the safety chair (low to the ground with arms, up against a convenient wall for extra support), having been deprived of their car keys. Having done my fair share of time in the safety chair myself, I will say that I always have a little moment of clarity (far too late) during which I realize that I am going to feel like the crap in the morning, but by then, any common sense I may have had has gone the way of the dodo.

For myself, I find the antics of most tipsy/drunk people highly entertaining when I'm sober. (I guess that's a good thing in my profession.) I enjoy watching people have fun...

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
No doubt there is some Principal of Proximately of Intoxication. Teetotalers rarely can have fun with falling down drunks, and vice verse. But, a party needn't be sundered along such a bright line. When folk don't share a fellow feeling, whether too distantly under-intoxicated or over-intoxicated, neither is likely to be fully comfortable.
quote:
...but as a person standing nearby who's working to ensure I stay under the blood alcohol limit, being in the company of these happy, chatty euphoric drunks starts becoming a chore.
Indeed, and you'd lighten your mood and ours by moving along. Perhaps you'd feel more comfortable in the kitchen, while me and my friends are being mutually witty and charming out on the porch.

I made it pretty clear I'm not a teetotaler. The bright line you're suggesting wasn't made by me.

As for "you'd lighten your mood AND OURS", it's perfectly clear to me from experience that the people who are completely plastered aren't actually aware enough of their surroundings to be bothered by my presence, standing there drink in hand but still possessing my muscle coordination. The being bothered is entirely one way.

[ 03. June 2014, 23:54: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dude, relax.

You're not a teetotaler. I'm not a falling-down drunk. Yet even without these poles, the fact that folk whose levels of intoxication are distant to each other can feel mutual discomfort is a good fact to recognize.

I guess I didn't strike the right tone in suggesting that distancing yourself (the one measuring out the liquor to ensure you stay under the blood alcohol limit) from the happy, chatty, euphoric drunks lest maintaining your mellow become a chore.

It was not my intention to antagonize. And, for doing so, I'm sorry and I apologize.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016