homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » What is life?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: What is life?
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd question - but I've been thinking a lot recently about what it is gives life meaning/significance...
Does it involve other people? God? Belief in self?
Thoughts to aid my thinking invited....

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At its most basic, life is change. Without change occurring, we have no perception of anything happening at all.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meaning in the sense of purpose is given to life by the motivation to serve God and other people. The motivation is derived from the love of God and of other people, as this love fosters desire and energises.

The love of God and of others grows through faith in and relationship with Christ.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other people. Being part of a family and a community.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of what makes people happy, a sense or meaning or purpose is known to be important.

But people derive meaning from many things, for some people that is faith, for many it is their work role or parenthood.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An interesting OP, as my meditation group sometimes uses 'what is life?' as a koan to focus on. There is no particular 'answer', except that people become vividly aware of the life going on now, and really open up to it. So it is this, and it is you and me and it is love.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
simple answer: Living.

I suspect some of us will have to answer in the post-life interview, questions about simple pleasures we avoided enjoying. I don't think we are supposed to hurt and suffer. I think we're supposed to alleviate and remedy it in ourselves and others whenever possible. Most of the other complicated stuff will take of itself.

Recommend: pat the dog and the cat, greet others, drink something hot or cold, plan supper. Stuff like that.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life itself is about change ( I was thinking about this too ). Change is sometimes good, sometimes bad, but always necessary.

Lifes meaning is a far more complex thing. I think there are two things involved in giving live meaning:

1. Having a dream, an aim or an intention. What are you wanting to do? It doesn't matter whether this is reasonable, realistic or not, or whether you achieve it. It just means that you have something to drive towards.

2. Bringing heaven to those we meet and engage with. That is, making a positive difference to those we meet and engage with.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life is the infinitesimally brief flickering moment of our existence in an infinitely vast nothingness, and is therefore infinitely special. Living well is to appreciate this and act accordingly towards others in the same boat.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
An interesting OP, as my meditation group sometimes uses 'what is life?' as a koan to focus on. There is no particular 'answer', except that people become vividly aware of the life going on now, and really open up to it. So it is this, and it is you and me and it is love.

At which point the meditation group spontaneously disbands and lives rather than meditating upon it?

At which point I spontaneously disband myself from SoF (for a while) and go to the allotment.

Have a good day!

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by que sais-je:
quote:

At which point the meditation group spontaneously disbands and lives rather than meditating upon it?

At which point I spontaneously disband myself from SoF (for a while) and go to the allotment.

Have a good day!

Well, no, because the meditation is also part of life. It's also a very surprising question, as it is always revealing new things. But I think allotmenting is a very nice part of life.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
At its most basic, life is change. Without change occurring, we have no perception of anything happening at all.

I think that idea came from Heraclitus.

But there was an opposing point of view too: a one Parmenidies who believed life was only really one thing - being itself. Solitary, undifferentiated and unchanging.

The two represent early poles in Greek philosophical thinking.

Personally I skew to Parminidies.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
Odd question - but I've been thinking a lot recently about what it is gives life meaning/significance...

Curious

Life is a gift from God who created you.

Think about the alternative: non-existence.

As to what gives it meaning?

1) To be what you were created to be: fully human (very Aristotle). It's all about you.

and that, IMV has something of

2) Self transcendence (it's not all about you)

I reckon it's a balance of enjoying the gift of existence to its fullest potential, while remembering and helping others to do the same.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

On Parmenides

That's rather like the Buddhist idea, emptiness is form, and form is emptiness. If you grasp at either one, you are a fool.

[ 11. June 2014, 11:11: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

[Confused]

I don't generally like Buddhist ideas: too life denying. Too much escape from reality via detachment.

Detachment is not a Christian idea at all - quite the reverse.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
[Confused]

I don't generally like Buddhist ideas: too life denying. Too much escape from reality via detachment.

Detachment is not a Christian idea at all - quite the reverse.

That's not my experience. It was through Zen that I overcame my detachment from life.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

So I'm wrong to say Buddhism advocates detachment?

Regardless: your story sounds interesting. I'd like to hear it. [Smile]

[ 11. June 2014, 11:33: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Evensong

There are many schools of Buddhism, and some do teach about non-attachment, but generally they mean with reference to desire and hatred, which many Buddhists see as causing suffering, as they are forms of clinging.

Another way of seeing this is about the ego. But then I think many religions advocate not following that; since it's like being chained to a maniac.

Anyway, I would say that it's through dropping the ego, that one becomes immersed in life itself, and one can see others more clearly, and treat them well.

However, other versions are available.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

I'm with you on the ego bit. Totally.

Christ is example par excellence of that.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, I think there are many interesting connections between Christianity and Buddhism, and one day, if I can get the energy up, I might do a thread on it, as I have spent a lot of time pondering this. People like Meister Eckhart and Angelus Silesius are very buddhistic.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Heraclitus vs Parmenidies - the end of the universe, heat death, is primarily one where nothing every happens or changes. At that point there is no life, there is nothing, because there is no change.

Which would support the Heraclitus approach, that (at the least) change is vital to life. A lack of change indicates a lack of life.

Not that I don't think there might be an interesting idea to explore about "eternal life" being non-corporeal existence in a heat-dead universe. But that is just something I find interesting to explore and contemplate.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
Originally posted by Curious:

Curious

Life is a gift from God who created you.

Think about the alternative: non-existence.

As to what gives it meaning?

1) To be what you were created to be: fully human (very Aristotle). It's all about you.

and that, IMV has something of

2) Self transcendence (it's not all about you)

I reckon it's a balance of enjoying the gift of existence to its fullest potential, while remembering and helping others to do the same.

I've been thinking about the alternative. Why is non-existence the alternative? Non-existence is where I come from - except in the sense that I was made from stuff that wasn't, then, me. And it is to non-existence that I shall return - except for the fact that nothing is detroyed or wasted. And since I am more than the summ of my parts, some of thebad things I've thought and done may linger on. I hope some of the good will survive and prosper and disperse and be of some use. I'm pretty sure I'm in my last decade. It's a bit late to hurry up and finish my homework - and there's not much mileage in worrying about the consequences. I had enough of that nonsesnse at boarding school, thank you very much. God? A waqste of time now, I think. I don't even understand basic calculus.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll tell you this much: it's over before you know it.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Candide
Apprentice
# 15755

- Posted      Profile for Candide   Author's homepage   Email Candide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several people have mentioned change, which I certainly support.

But it also involves building a framework, in which that change can be interpreted as positive or negative. Change in itself has no value, it gains value through the interpretation of it.

(The framework might change too, of course. As a person changes, so does the framework that inspired change in the first place).

Posts: 36 | From: Norway | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
I've been thinking about the alternative. Why is non-existence the alternative? Non-existence is where I come from - except in the sense that I was made from stuff that wasn't, then, me. And it is to non-existence that I shall return - except for the fact that nothing is detroyed or wasted. And since I am more than the summ of my parts, some of thebad things I've thought and done may linger on. I hope some of the good will survive and prosper and disperse and be of some use. I'm pretty sure I'm in my last decade. It's a bit late to hurry up and finish my homework - and there's not much mileage in worrying about the consequences. I had enough of that nonsesnse at boarding school, thank you very much. God? A waqste of time now, I think. I don't even understand basic calculus.

Physical non-existence may be where you came from, except that the seed was sown and grown and seeded from the beginning. Perhaps as it was physically, so it was spiritually?

Moses wasn't called until he was eighty afaik.
The physical ministry of Jesus only lasted for 3 years.

This life has potential until our very last breath. If we can do nothing else physically, we can still pray.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

quote:
Anyway, I would say that it's through dropping the ego, that one becomes immersed in life itself, and one can see others more clearly, and treat them well.

I always saw Buddhist concentration on Nirvana as a sort of selfishness: you avoiding rebirth (actually rebirth is no big deal: it's re-getting old, re-getting sick, re-dying that's no fun). But if reincarnation happens, we don't generally remember past lives so we're seeking enlightenment on behalf of those who would come after us but would have have no 'felt' personal connection with us. Which makes it an incredibly altruistic religion. Does that make sense?

--------------------

jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as this life is concerned, the only really meaningful things we can do are to sow seeds of various kinds. Hopefully they will be good seeds. Hopefully these will grow into something that will live on in some form or other after we're gone and produce seeds of their own. We may not get any credit for it. We may be completely forgotten. Maybe what we sow will in some way carry over into the next world.

--------------------
plug plug

IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very scientifically,life is the ability to take in nourishment and to reproduce. But obviously, this thread is about what is done with life once begun and sustained. Certainly we are more capable than an an amoeba and can do more than eat ant reproduce.

The question should be what can we do with the life we have?

Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Change? I'm not so sure of that. The more things change, the more they are the same. Whether we speak of baby boomer's boomerang children or the post Napoleonic war children who never left home. Or the generation in the 1890s who thought they discovered sex, until it was really discovered in the 1960s, only to be really really discovered in the 21 century age of internet porn. Or exploitation of land and environs with the consequences for life, whether in the ancient middle east which formerly had forests, Easter Island or the Alberta tar-oil sands.

We are born, we live, we die. The middle bit is where we should to live. This moment and a moment past and future, no more.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life is a constant battle against entropy.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Stricly speaking, if you are going to contribute, it ought to be to cry "Eurydice !! Eurydice !!" desparingly to the heavens.

I'll get my coat ....

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's blatant stereotyping, that is. You make one mistake and that's all anyone remembers about you for thousands of years.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

I always saw Buddhist concentration on Nirvana as a sort of selfishness: you avoiding rebirth (actually rebirth is no big deal: it's re-getting old, re-getting sick, re-dying that's no fun). But if reincarnation happens, we don't generally remember past lives so we're seeking enlightenment on behalf of those who would come after us but would have have no 'felt' personal connection with us. Which makes it an incredibly altruistic religion. Does that make sense?
There are some wonderful stories about compassion in Buddhism - for example, the bodhisattva of compassion, who vows to stay to help the suffering of people, and rescue them from samsara. In one version, he is given a thousand arms, with which to help people, and there are some amazing statues of a thousand armed Avalokitesvara. But there are many versions.

Reincarnation leaves me cold, except in the sense that everything is an expression of everything else, but there is a curious relationship between emptiness and compassion. In this sense, emptiness means that there is nothing inherent in any thing, since all things are interconnected and indivisible. Hence, I am That, whether it be a worm or a flea, and I reach out to myself in the worm.

You could also say that here the ego is annihilated, yet also is reborn again and again, and dies again and again. Even altruism is finally seen as redundant. So it goes.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
Meaning in the sense of purpose is given to life by the motivation to serve God and other people. The motivation is derived from the love of God and of other people, as this love fosters desire and energises.

Beautifully put. Thank you!

Life is about service, and therefore about love.

Love, and therefore happiness, is something received from God. And it is received according to what is going on with us, according to what we are doing and thinking, and therefore according to our function, activity, and the life of service that we are involved in.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

quote:
You could also say that here the ego is annihilated, yet also is reborn again and again, and dies again and again. Even altruism is finally seen as redundant. So it goes.

I like that. I frequently say "So it goes" about all sorts of things much to the annoyance of those who think there is always something you can do about everything. orfeo says "Life is a constant battle against entropy" but why fight the big battle you can't win when there are small ones you could (albeit victory is always temporary).

"So it goes" is the motto of the Tralfamadoreans in various Vonnegut novels (as I'm sure you know) who can see the future and so already know what is going to happen. They seem to be "from hope and fear set free" which also might make a good Buddhist adage.

--------------------

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Life is pain (princess).

(Well, someone had to say it, it may as well be me)

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

I like that. I frequently say "So it goes" about all sorts of things much to the annoyance of those who think there is always something you can do about everything. orfeo says "Life is a constant battle against entropy" but why fight the big battle you can't win when there are small ones you could (albeit victory is always temporary).

"So it goes" is the motto of the Tralfamadoreans in various Vonnegut novels (as I'm sure you know) who can see the future and so already know what is going to happen. They seem to be "from hope and fear set free" which also might make a good Buddhist adage.

Very interesting point about 'there is always something to be done'. I sometimes misquote Lenin, in his pamphlet 'What is to be done?', by saying, 'there is nothing to be done', which I suppose annoys some people. It doesn't actually refer to passivity, but everything is going on anyway, but the ego has a narcissistic habit in thinking that it can make a difference.

The old joke about guilt is that its positive pay-off is in thinking that you caused something.

My old dead Sufi friend used to ask the interesting question, 'what is it like not trying?', which used to reduce us to hysterics, as it's quite hard to not try, without trying to. But of course we do (not try), when we stop being so self-conscious. Hence, hit the target without aiming - a Zen idea. Quite hard to not-achieve!

The most extreme version of this that I know comes from the British guru, Tony Parsons (not the novelist), who says that nothing has ever happened. Well ...

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I sometimes misquote Lenin, in his pamphlet 'What is to be done?', by saying, 'there is nothing to be done', which I suppose annoys some people. It doesn't actually refer to passivity, but everything is going on anyway, but the ego has a narcissistic habit in thinking that it can make a difference.

I couldn't disagree more.

I think life is about doing, about motivation and about enjoying making small differences.

People make small differences to my life every day and I am grateful to them. I hope I manage to make someone's life a little better in some way every day too.

It's not about ego imo - it's about enjoyment.

I'm about to become a puppy walker for Guide Dogs, and I'm enjoying the preparations enormously. But I'm also pleased that I'll be doing something which will greatly benefit someone 12 months down the line.

What's wrong with being motivated to 'do'? It's what gets me up in the mornings for sure.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Boogie

But if it's not about ego, then you agree with me.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016