homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Should Pharmacies Stop Selling Tobacco? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Should Pharmacies Stop Selling Tobacco?
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently the huge CVS chain of pharmacies announced that they would stop selling cigarettes. And there has been increasing pressure from the legal community for other drug stores to do likewise. I say "Hooray!"

While pharmacies in the USA are typically for-profit businesses, they are still highly-regulated, and are viewed to some extent as health care providers, to the point where, in some states, you can actually be treated for medical problems by a physician's assistant or nurse practitioner, or receive a vaccination from a pharmacist, in such an establishment. Yet most pharmacies here continue to have big displays of cigarettes, highly-addictive products that kill thousands of people a year, right up front by the cashiers.

I'll admit to a huge bias against the tobacco industry- my mother died a horrible death from lung cancer on account of her addiction to cigarettes. As far as I am concerned, anything legal that makes it harder for Big Tobacco to market its wares is worth supporting -particularly when it comes to banning their sale in places entrusted with promoting health.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kudos to CVS NO pharmacey should sell tobacco products .

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father's pharmacy stopped selling tobacco almost 30 years ago this month. He was muttering underneath his breath as he did so, as they were a nice profit margin and as he used to liberate his own smokes from the cigarette shelf, but he did it willingly and was the first in our home town to go smokefree.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, is this really common in the U.S.? Talk about a rôle confusion!
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see pharmacies stop selling tobacco products. But I doubt it would make any difference in smoking rates, there's just to many other places to get cigarettes.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We old folk remember when it was common in Canada. In the 1980s and 1990s provincial pharmacy associations agreed with health ministries that it was just too much of a contradiction in terms and it came to an end.

My younger friends cannot imagine the smoke-infused world. Last night I was at the 20th anniversary of my local coffeehouse which, when it opened, was the only smoke-free café in Ottawa. Everyone told the owners that the smart money had it that nobody, just nobody, would have their coffee without a cigarette, and that they would soon go bellyup. We toasted the smart money with cava last night.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still laugh when flights announce that smoking is not permitted. When was the last time any airline allowed it?
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are pharmacies that sell tobacco?? Wow...I can't imagine that, such a mixed message to send people.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read some analysis when CVS announced this was happening. Part of this is they are aggressively expanding their drop-in health clinic service. See a doctor or a P.A. for minor medical services without the expense of a hospital or full medical service. They are negotiating with several large insurance companies to be a preferred provider. The cigarette business didn't really fit well with trying to become a medical establishment.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain ordered pharmacies to stop stocking tobacco in 1987, but it was still possible to buy tobacco products in some pharmacies until 2001. More than you ever wanted to know about the history of smoking and pharmacies (pdf)

Isn't part of the confusion because tobacco was used as a medicinal treatment? It wasn't until 1962 that a report was published showing the links between smoking and ill-health following Richard Doll's research.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am shocked that any pharmacies sell tobacco products. They certainly don't in Australia. Which countries allow the sale of cigarettes in pharmacies?

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
romanlion
editorial comment
# 10325

- Posted      Profile for romanlion     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, throw out those nasty tobacco products and stick to peddling the safe stuff like oxycodone and all manner of psychotropics.

Doctor's orders, ya know!

--------------------
"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook" - Harry S. Truman

Posts: 1486 | From: White Rose City | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:
Yeah, throw out those nasty tobacco products and stick to peddling the safe stuff like oxycodone and all manner of psychotropics.

Apples and elephants, dear.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A quick bit of googling discovered that people have been agitating for an end to tobacco in pharmacies since at least 1970.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by romanlion:

A proper system involves dangerous stuff only being available by prescription. Which negates pharmacists being able to 'peddle' anything.

I've no idea just what the situation is in the USA in this regard. On the one hand, I couldn't get my usual travel-sickness medication in the USA because there it's a prescription-only medicine. On the other hand, you have those bizarrely amusing adverts that try to weave vast amounts of legally required warnings into a cheery ad about how much this drug will improve your life.

[ 24. June 2014, 13:29: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What LQ, bib and others have said re the utter incongruity of the OP question in the 21st century...

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Genuine question*

Have pharmacies in the UK ever sold tobacco products? I'm 63 this year, and I can't say I've ever seen them in a 'chemist's shop' (UK-speak from a previous generation)!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - see the link in my earlier post. There used to be asthma cigarettes, for example. Apparently you could still buy tobacco products in some GB pharmacies until 2001, although the advice to stop stocking them was issued in 1987.

I was going to say something similar to you, but thought I'd check first, to find that there is a long history of tobacco being seen as medicinal.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
*Genuine question*

Have pharmacies in the UK ever sold tobacco products? I'm 63 this year, and I can't say I've ever seen them in a 'chemist's shop' (UK-speak from a previous generation)!

Ian J.

Yes - I'd like to know that as well (a year younger that B's F)

My mother used to say that doctors encouraged her to smoke 'because it is good for you' - she smoked up until her waters broke and I came along - which may explain a thing or two!

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo, that question has now been answered twice on this very thread by Curiosity killed.

[ 24. June 2014, 15:50: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pharmacies cannot sell tobacco in Canada except for in British Columbia as far as I know. So the point is mostly moot. Gas stations sell them, which creates easy access.

Many places in Canada, stores which sell cigarettes and other products must not display them where they can be seen, they are out of sight. No advertising allowed either.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Note to people not from the US: CVS is much more than a pharmacy chain. It is much more like a combination of pharmacy, mini-supermarket, convenience store, newsstand, etc.

There are also pharmacies in full-fledged supermarkets, Wal-Mart and other big box stores, etc. These places often not only sell tobacco products, but alcoholic beverages as well. The pharmacy section is just part of the store like the deli counter, dairy department, home electronics department, etc. The cigarettes are never sold behind the pharmacy counter but at the check-out counter of the main part of the store. Even in CVS (and Wallgreens, Rite-Aid, etc.), the pharmacy department is small compared to the rest of the store. Should supermarkets stop selling beer?

That said, I'm not opposed to CVS's decision. Having had a brief experience working in the industry of paying for cancer treatment (paying for it is an industry in itself), I can say that we need to do all we can to discourage smoking.

[ 24. June 2014, 16:10: Message edited by: stonespring ]

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
We old folk remember when it was common in Canada. In the 1980s and 1990s provincial pharmacy associations agreed with health ministries that it was just too much of a contradiction in terms and it came to an end.

My younger friends cannot imagine the smoke-infused world. Last night I was at the 20th anniversary of my local coffeehouse which, when it opened, was the only smoke-free café in Ottawa. Everyone told the owners that the smart money had it that nobody, just nobody, would have their coffee without a cigarette, and that they would soon go bellyup. We toasted the smart money with cava last night.

I'm just told enough to remember that smoky world. (I'm a few years older than LQ.) For those of us with allergies, it was nasty. I remember the old days when the non-smoking section at McDonald's was the long room beside the kitchen leading to the washrooms; the smoking section with tin ashtrays was out front with the big windows. This assumes the standard suburban McDonald's layout, the company had a standard design.

Then McDonald's decided that since smokers were now a minority, the non-smokers could have the front of restaurant seats with the big windows. And then they went entirely smoke-free as municipalities enacted smoke-free bylaws in the last 1990's.

I even remember tobacco in pharmacies. My pharmacy, which is a pharmacy counter in a bigger store still technically sells tobacco because the store sells it, though the tobacco counter is now a separate entrance from outside and there is no access to it for customers from the rest of the store.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd leave it up to the owners of the pharmacy to decide what they sell. I pick up one of my prescriptions at a Walmart pharmacy and another at an Ingles grocery store pharmacy. Both of them also sell tobacco, beer and wine. At the Walmart I can also pick up guns and ammo.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lapsed heathen

Hurler on the ditch
# 4403

- Posted      Profile for lapsed heathen   Email lapsed heathen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember them selling herbal cigs at one stage, back when we didn't think it was the smoke part that was bad. God knows what we thought was bad about smoking but seemingly it wasn't the actual smoke.
I don't like this trick of switching the term from smoking to tobacco products. Smokeless tobacco products are not as damaging as smoking and this conflagration of the two dose more harm than good.

--------------------
"We are the Easter people and our song is Alleluia"

Posts: 1361 | From: Marble county | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for drugstores selling cigarettes, there are commercials and ads for cigarettes in the 1850's that say "recommended by doctors" or "more doctors smoke xxx". It was a different attitude.

In many places, drugstores had an exemption from the Sunday closing blue laws. One explanation for the origin of the name ice cream sundae was that it was made when carbonated soda was not allowed on Sundays. So the drugstore provided a place to buy more cigarettes on Sunday, something important to a heavy smoker.

The other place that sold cigarettes in New York were "candy stores" which also served ice cream, candy and sold newspapers and magazines.

[ 24. June 2014, 21:26: Message edited by: Palimpsest ]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't ever remember our local chemist selling cigarettes, certainly my mother, quite a heavy smoker never bought hers there.

Anyone buying cigarettes or alcohol at a supermarket here has to be checked by a senior member of staff, and if they look under 25 ID will be demanded (legal age is 16 for tobacco, 18 for alcohol). This is supermarket policy as being caught selling underage means having the license to sell suspended for a number of days.

Cigarettes are out of the customers' sight and no posters advertising their sale are allowed to be displayed.

There is also quite a stiff tax on the sale of cigarettes and I think the duty-free allowance for travellers overseas has been heavily cut in recent years.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't buy cigarettes in pharmacies in the UK, but you certainly can buy e-cigarettes.

Does this give a certain 'health' message to these products?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our ex-roommate/girlfriend smokes like the proverbial smokestack. She smokes at her new apartment but is trying to get into public housing, first in Georgia and then she is yearning to move back to California. Well, I don't know about California but every single low-income public housing building and apartment in Seattle is now completely smoke-free. I am VERY happy that CVS and other drug stores in the U.S. are going to get out of the cigarette business. Dare we hope that in fifty years there won't be anyone smoking except in their own houses?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
every single low-income public housing building and apartment in Seattle is now completely smoke-free.

How do they enforce it inside of one's apartment?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
I'd leave it up to the owners of the pharmacy to decide what they sell. I pick up one of my prescriptions at a Walmart pharmacy and another at an Ingles grocery store pharmacy. Both of them also sell tobacco, beer and wine. At the Walmart I can also pick up guns and ammo.

I think the very fact you can have a pharmacy inside another store is something a little different in the USA compared to other countries.

I'd have to go hunting down the relevant laws to be certain whether such a thing is even possible here in Australia, but I suspect not as the location of pharmacies is fairly regulated. At one time at least (and it may still be the case), you couldn't open up a new pharmacy within a certain distance of an existing pharmacy. I once saw a case where they were arguing about whether people would walk down a path or cut across open ground, because the answer would determine whether the new pharmacy was too close.

[ 25. June 2014, 04:06: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would argue that there are certain benefits to having tobacco available at pharmacies (in the American sense). Someone addicted to nicotine is going to seek out tobacco products. If the most convenient location is a pharmacy like CVS, the health professionals therein can use the opportunity to promote methods of cessation/prevention. Now, consumers will simply purchase tobacco products elsewhere, where there is unlikely to be the same incentive to stop addiction.

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
You can't buy cigarettes in pharmacies in the UK, but you certainly can buy e-cigarettes.

Does this give a certain 'health' message to these products?

I thought there were legitimate studies showing that they were useful for the purposes of smoking cessation?

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

The articles I've read say that the jury is out on whether e-cigarettes help smokers stop smoking or if they are a transition drug for non-smokers to become smokers. I think they are new enough that there are simply not enough studies to make any useful conclusions with existing smokers, patch users and e-cigarette only users.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:
I would argue that there are certain benefits to having tobacco available at pharmacies (in the American sense). Someone addicted to nicotine is going to seek out tobacco products. If the most convenient location is a pharmacy like CVS, the health professionals therein can use the opportunity to promote methods of cessation/prevention.

How's it working so far?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The UK has big supermarkets with pharmacies and tobacco counters (locked with shutters, no advertising), so it's not just the USA.

Another argument I read when I was digging for information was that the big pharmacies, eg Boots, sell Coca Cola which has had some links to adverse health effects. But tobacco is the only drug that when used exactly as designed has known ill effects.

e-cigarettes are sold in pharmacies here in the UK too. There were stories saying that this had resumed after they were removed for a while when I looked.

--------------------

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
I would argue that there are certain benefits to having tobacco available at pharmacies (in the American sense). Someone addicted to nicotine is going to seek out tobacco products. If the most convenient location is a pharmacy like CVS, the health professionals therein can use the opportunity to promote methods of cessation/prevention.

How's it working so far?
Smoking rates in the U.S. have continuously been on the decline for decades now. As to what the effect will be now that pharmacies are removing tobacco products from their shelves, I guess we shall see.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think the very fact you can have a pharmacy inside another store is something a little different in the USA compared to other countries.

In NZ we used to have similar laws, but the re-built and newly reopened Countdown supermarket down the road from me has a pharmacy in it, despite being close to an existing one. I don't know when the law changed, but I think it was lobbying from big business that changed it.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Given the separation between the pharmacy counter and the rest of the convenience store parts of a CVS (as described by stonespring above), this seems a very unlikely scenario to me.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

How's it working so far?
Smoking rates in the U.S. have continuously been on the decline for decades now. As to what the effect will be now that pharmacies are removing tobacco products from their shelves, I guess we shall see.
And it's certainly true that CVS kept smoking cessation products right next to the cigarettes because I used to see both when I went into CVS to buy a snack. (Past tense because I haven't been in that CVS in years.)

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sometimes surprise that people can afford to buy tobacco. In the store down the street, a Walgreen's (which includes a pharmacy), a pack of cigarettes may cost as much as $6.00. A person who smokes a pack a day must spend over $2000 annually. That seems like a lot of money to me. Even more confusing is that (as I have heard it claimed) smokers tend to be less affluent, less educated individuals. If you don't have much money, why spend it on something you will simply burn?
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Curiosity killed:

quote:
It wasn't until 1962 that a report was published showing the links between smoking and ill-health following Richard Doll's research.
I've read this before. However, in the early C20th schoolchildren were advised that smoking could damage their health. Was it believed that tobacco was harmful to children, but healthy for adults? The advice to schoolchildren predates Richard Doll's research by decades.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 1940s, Robert Heinlein wrote "If This Goes On", a science fiction novel, in which he refers to the link between smoking and lung cancer. I think this was known even earlier.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I was quoting from the Pharmaceutical Society booklet linked above.

From the same booklet:
  • nicotine was recognised as a poisonous alkaloid from 1828
  • an advertisement for Nutt Brothers Pectoral Cigarettes which were marketed between 1877 and 1893 and could "be smoked by the most delicate lady or child"
which all sounds a bit contradictory.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like others, I cannot recall tobacco products ever being sold in pharmacies here.

Smoking here is becoming less and less common fortunately. Tobacco products can now only be sold in plain wrappers/packets and must carry one of a series of fairly blunt health warnings. They may only be sold at one place in a shop with multiple sales points, and cannot be on show - they must be behind plain doors. It is banned in public transport facilities and on buses, trains, ferries and on planes; it is banned in shopping malls (in the US sense), restaurants, pubs and bars. It is also banned on many footpaths in the vicinity of cafés, coffee shops and outdoor eating spots.

Smoking is now very much class-linked. New smokers are more likely to be young women than young men. From observation, a higher proportion of those from East-Asian origin or family background are smokers than Caucasian.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
every single low-income public housing building and apartment in Seattle is now completely smoke-free.

How do they enforce it inside of one's apartment?
Well, when I lived in Seattle Public Housing back in the nineties, we had a yearly inspection of our units. I know the housing authority can inspect anyone's unit legally if they give the tenant 24 hours notice. But you know, having posted what I did previously, I'll have to go back and check to see what their rules are for each apartment.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
I am sometimes surprise that people can afford to buy tobacco. In the store down the street, a Walgreen's (which includes a pharmacy), a pack of cigarettes may cost as much as $6.00. A person who smokes a pack a day must spend over $2000 annually. That seems like a lot of money to me. Even more confusing is that (as I have heard it claimed) smokers tend to be less affluent, less educated individuals. If you don't have much money, why spend it on something you will simply burn?

Addiction.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

Amanda B: Check out the eight and ninth paragraphs from this article. It's informative and makes me even more eager to pack up and move back to the Seattle area.

http://www.seattlehousing.org/news/releases/2011/liph-no-smoking-survey/index.html

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Almost half, or 45 percent of respondents, have experienced smoke drift in their home either from a neighboring unit or from outside and 72 percent noted the smell of secondhand smoke as bothersome.
Reminds me of the bad old days when I lived in an apartment building, especially one where the tenant directly under me smoked like a chimney and her foul emissions seeped up through my floorboards and into my bath linens, bed linens and clothes in the closet.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The UK has big supermarkets with pharmacies and tobacco counters (locked with shutters, no advertising), so it's not just the USA.

Another argument I read when I was digging for information was that the big pharmacies, eg Boots, sell Coca Cola which has had some links to adverse health effects. But tobacco is the only drug that when used exactly as designed has known ill effects.

e-cigarettes are sold in pharmacies here in the UK too. There were stories saying that this had resumed after they were removed for a while when I looked.

IME supermarkets big enough to have pharmacies have them far away from where they sell tobacco products, which is usually on a smaller checkout near ready-to-eat lunch/snack food like sandwich meal deals, normally near the entrance. I've never been to a supermarket that has a pharmacy near there.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

It's been a few years since I lived in England, but I don't recall any big UK supermarkets doing this. But admittedly when I think of 'pharmacy' I think of 'dispensing chemist', not an aisle, between the sat-navs and the baked beans, selling unclassified and non-controlled pain-killers or haemmorhoid cream. I certainly can't recall any chemist selling ciggies, even in the olden days. Though they certainly flogged a lot of other rubbish: 'diet' products like Limmits and Ayds and other stuff designed to make women hate their bodies (ahem!). And it's a good question about the sale of e-cigarettes in chemists, if that happens in the UK. I imagine it does, along with the Niquitin and similar products?

I do recall my granny telling me that a doctor once told her he would have recommended her to lose weight by taking up the fags - except they were too dangerous, and she'd probably die of smoking-related cancer before she died of obesity. And that was the early 60s apparently. Perhaps an unusual attitude in those days.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016