homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Hospitality and Dress Codes (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hospitality and Dress Codes
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Green is the colour associated with the fairies/elves/piskies, as Ariel says. For those who worried about attracting their attention, wearing green was considered unlucky at all times, not just at weddings (if you don't understand why anyone would be worried about the Elves noticing them, try reading Terry Pratchett's 'Lords and Ladies' sometime).

I was once told that the reason for the taboo against wearing red and green together was that jesters were traditionally dressed in red and green, but I don't know how true this is. Or, if it is true, why jesters were dressed in red and green in the first place.

[ 06. July 2014, 09:34: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarees are clearly the answer .

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather like the salwar kameez myself.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Green is the colour associated with the fairies/elves/piskies, as Ariel says. For those who worried about attracting their attention, wearing green was considered unlucky at all times...

Still is in some parts. I still come across people who, offered something in a choice of colours, won't pick green "because it's unlucky".

Next time you're out, have a look at a) the cars you see on the road, and b) what colours people are wearing. In Britain, blue, black, grey, white and red will very likely be almost everywhere (and pink for little girls), while green will probably only appear occasionally, with only yellow being even less popular and appearing once, um, in a blue moon.

[ 06. July 2014, 10:45: Message edited by: Ariel ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My bridesmaids were in green. We tried to match the green stripe in my husband's kilt, though as it was the 1980s and my bridesmaids were in shiny, shiny satiny material, the match might not have been that obvious. My flowers were white with green ribbons.

My daughter and I were bridesmaids last year, both in green; pale mint green with a jade green inverted pleat for her and jade green with a pale mint green inverted pleat for me.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
hanginginthere
Shipmate
# 17541

- Posted      Profile for hanginginthere   Email hanginginthere   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I chose green for my bridesmaids back in 1969 and was warned that this would attract bad luck . We are still married 45 years later - not sure if this proves or disproves the rule! You would have to ask Mr H.

--------------------
'Safe?' said Mr Beaver. 'Who said anything about safe? But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.'

Posts: 72 | From: Eboracum | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Sarees are clearly the answer .

I got one in bright orange/green/brown for a friend's wedding. I was told by the sari shop lady to not wear any black (including in watch straps and shoes) and when I get there, an Indian lady on my table is in a sari in black with silver accents.

The other forbidden colour combo was red/gold, as that is worn by the bride. It's also getting to be that white is unacceptable, due mainly to western sensibilities.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Next time you're out, have a look at a) the cars you see on the road, and b) what colours people are wearing. In Britain, blue, black, grey, white and red will very likely be almost everywhere (and pink for little girls), while green will probably only appear occasionally, with only yellow being even less popular and appearing once, um, in a blue moon.

Unless you are in or near Yorkshire this weekend. You can't see for yellow round here!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Surely that's more about the colour of coats people wear, given that the weather in Britain generally requires wearing a coat. Coats do seem to be in restricted colours, but clothes in general don't, specially not in summer.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my pet peeves - the colours of winter outerwear. Sludge, drizzle, dun, sleech, dreich and navy. You have the same palette for acres of menswear, for women's trousers, for shoes.

It's not as if we're living in coal-fired cities where you have to wear something that doesn't show the dirt, so why not colours?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer having a dark coat, so that it will go with whatever I am wearing. Unless you have several coats, it wouldn't really make sense to have, say, a bright green one. Makes more sense to have a variety of colourful scarves and hats and gloves.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
Surely that's more about the colour of coats people wear, given that the weather in Britain generally requires wearing a coat. Coats do seem to be in restricted colours, but clothes in general don't, specially not in summer.

No - I'd say it applies in summer as well. Judging by what I've seen over this weekend, beige can be added to the summerwear palette, but otherwise, it's still blues, greys, whites, reds and blacks. I don't know who does buy the other colours (other than me, I like my colours) but there certainly aren't many of them to be seen on the street.

And speaking of Victorian values, with the exception of red and inclusion of brown which seems less popular these days, these were all considered safe, respectable colours to wear in those days. Only a fast hussy would wear scarlet. You could get away with other colours on a summer dress, but bright colours were considered vulgar and it was better to stick to more muted shades or pastels.

Until, of course, the Aesthetic Movement came along and introduced the wonders of peacock's colours and other things - but that never really became mainstream in clothing. Brighter colours didn't really take off until the Sixties, when there was a kind of explosion of colour - a sort of reaction against the dullness of austerity and the restrictions of wartime, and the excitement of discovering tie-dye and wacky, sometimes lurid Oriental designs.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
One of my pet peeves - the colours of winter outerwear. Sludge, drizzle, dun, sleech, dreich and navy. You have the same palette for acres of menswear, for women's trousers, for shoes.

It's not as if we're living in coal-fired cities where you have to wear something that doesn't show the dirt, so why not colours?

I agree. In the most dismal, dark, depressing time of year, this is when you need bright colours.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Until, of course, the Aesthetic Movement came along and introduced the wonders of peacock's colours and other things -

Nyerm.

greenery-yallery, Grosvenor Gallery
Foot-in-the-grave young man

After the discovery of aniline dyes mid-century, later Victorian clothing was fairly strident. The Aesthetes were great ones for the night and the light and the half-light. In one of Margaret Oliphant's novels the heroine is appearing in an 'aesthetic' dress and we are given access to her thoughts about how it's unconventional sad colour is lifted by the gold thread in the accompanying shawl. She's cutting edge fashion and she knows it.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
No - I'd say it applies in summer as well. Judging by what I've seen over this weekend, beige can be added to the summerwear palette, but otherwise, it's still blues, greys, whites, reds and blacks. I don't know who does buy the other colours (other than me, I like my colours) but there certainly aren't many of them to be seen on the street.

Well, I'll have to take a look and see if this applies to where I live. I may be wrong, because I've never purposely looked to see the ratios of people wearing different colours, but it's always seemed to me that people wear all kinds of colourful things in summer, and I'm sure I've noticed this in the past couple of weeks too. Maybe it depends where in the UK you live. And maybe it depends on social class. Or maybe I've just not noticed this focus on blue, grey, white, red and black. Well, black, white and grey, yes, because they are good as base colours, which go with most colours, so it makes sense if you have a pair of trousers for work to have black ones, because they can go with a variety of different coloured tops. But in summer, women often wear colourful skirts and dresses. I will take a look tomorrow when I go into town.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pale and mint green shades are some of the most fashionable colours for bridesmaid dresses at the moment, along with grey and coral. Softer lavender shades of purple are also popular.

I have winter colouring so wear emerald green a lot, when I can find it, along with scarlet and royal blue. I wear yellow if I can find it in a cooler-toned, lemony yellow rather than mustard (which is often fashionable around autumn/winter).

I am also surprised at the comment about coats not coming in bright colours - I see brightly-coloured coats all the time once it's coat weather, and I own one. I'm also not afraid to colour-block, so happy to wear my red coat with a blue dress for example.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm totally with you on not wearing black to a wedding, and am still surprised and a bit shocked when people do. (At 'conventional' British weddings at least.) Personally I think it's fine to express that on the invite, though it may be worth adding an explanation, as you did in the OP.

This thread is fascinating.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I married in the 1980's I was looking at green material for the bridesmaids and was told in the shop that green was unlucky for weddings. So it is an enduring superstition in some circles.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
When I married in the 1980's I was looking at green material for the bridesmaids and was told in the shop that green was unlucky for weddings. So it is an enduring superstition in some circles.

I don't think it's the case for modern bridesmaid dresses looking at popular bridesmaid dress colours (very few wedding party dresses being homemade nowadays). Bear in mind that the 80s were 30 years ago now!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
I'm totally with you on not wearing black to a wedding, and am still surprised and a bit shocked when people do. (At 'conventional' British weddings at least.) Personally I think it's fine to express that on the invite, though it may be worth adding an explanation, as you did in the OP.

This thread is fascinating.

Speaking personally, as someone who doesn't go to formal events very often, the smartest type of clothing I own is office workwear - and black is the default colour for this. A black shift dress is smarter than a blue sun dress, because it's made from smarter fabric - at least that's how I'd look at it.

For the most recent wedding I went to, I wore a black dress just because it was the smartest dress I own - I didn't have much choice!

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, come to think of it Mrs A used to wear a couple of black dresses she'd made herself to (perfectly trad UK middle class) weddings, and was always complimented on them.

[ 06. July 2014, 21:42: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the most recent wedding I am close enough to get invited to the hen do, she cut the cake with an axe - I think you could have got away with wearing black to the wedding.

What I find slightly odd is people finding they are repeatedly asked to such dos, without having a suit or non-black or whatever - and I tend to think, well if you'd bought one the first time - you'd be sorted.

Also, for women, non- black is really not hard to get by borrowing, oxfam or primark.

You can get some of these for £12

Personally, I'd go with cobalt.

Actually I'd probably wear smartish trousers and a coloured shirt.

[ 06. July 2014, 21:50: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
At the most recent wedding I am close enough to get invited to the hen do, she cut the cake with an axe - I think you could have got away with wearing black to the wedding.

What I find slightly odd is people finding they are repeatedly asked to such dos, without having a suit or non-black or whatever - and I tend to think, well if you'd bought one the first time - you'd be sorted.

Also, for women, non- black is really not hard to get by borrowing, oxfam or primark.

You can get some of these for £12

Personally, I'd go with cobalt.

Actually I'd probably wear smartish trousers and a coloured shirt.

Primark does not do my size, tricky to find my size in charity shops. I'm not sure any of those Boohoo clothes are smart enough for a wedding? I wore a skater dress to the last wedding I attended but felt too informal.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I'd have the maxi jersey dress would be fine.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We could have saved five pages of posts if we still had Ask Sine.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

quote:

At the last-wedding-but-one I attended, my dress cost £15 from a charity shop, though I bought a hat from Marks and Spencers for £20 or £25 as well.

Originally posted by Jade Constable:

quote:
Bear in mind that the 80s were 30 years ago now!
If you see my 1980s wedding photos, with the bridesmaids in green shiny satin, it's hard to forget that it was another sartorial age then. Although the men, in kilts, could wear exactly the same outfits today and would look smart and undated.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

NEQ:
quote:
If you see my 1980s wedding photos, with the bridesmaids in green shiny satin, it's hard to forget that it was another sartorial age then. Although the men, in kilts, could wear exactly the same outfits today and would look smart and undated.
My wedding photos don't look too bad. The sleeves on the dresses are a bit OTT to modern eyes (those great big puffy elbow-length sleeves were in then) but apart from that the main differences are hairstyles and glasses. Huge insectoid glasses that covered half your face were fashionable.

My bridesmaids were in green too. Green is my favourite colour and so far, Queen Mab has not made her displeasure known [Two face] I even had a green car a few years ago.

The true purpose of wedding photos is to give your grandchildren a good laugh at the outdated fashions.

[ 07. July 2014, 08:11: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If your best dress is black, you could always add a bright-colored scarf.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:

Ariel, I looked at what people were wearing when I went shopping in Asda today - a lot of purples, yellows, and peach colour. Much more of those colours than red or blue. I think your observation doesn't apply throughout the whole of the UK.
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:

I don't think it's the case for modern bridesmaid dresses looking at popular bridesmaid dress colours (very few wedding party dresses being homemade nowadays). Bear in mind that the 80s were 30 years ago now!
I have heard the superstition recently too, and in any age there are people who don't go with superstition but for many it comes out at times like weddings.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Ariel, I looked at what people were wearing when I went shopping in Asda today - a lot of purples, yellows, and peach colour. Much more of those colours than red or blue. I think your observation doesn't apply throughout the whole of the UK.

I wondered how you'd get on - interesting result. There could be various underlying factors to explain the difference. Football shirts and saris apart, of course.
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, people bang on about charity shops, but I've yet to find any item of clothing in one that I wanted to buy, formal or otherwise. I understand that they take all the stuff to central warehouses and then distribute it back to the shops where they think it'll sell; clearly Watford, Sheffield, Chesterfield and Nottingham (where I've lived for the last 25 years) are considered too crap to send anything decent to.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Not even jeans ?

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
You know, people bang on about charity shops, but I've yet to find any item of clothing in one that I wanted to buy, formal or otherwise. I understand that they take all the stuff to central warehouses and then distribute it back to the shops where they think it'll sell; clearly Watford, Sheffield, Chesterfield and Nottingham (where I've lived for the last 25 years) are considered too crap to send anything decent to.

Try the Shelter in Broomhill, that used to be good.

I think the problem with men's clothes is that we tend to have fewer clothes and wear them out before turning them into dusters, so they're well and truly past it by the time we get rid of them.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Most of my clothes come from charity shops, and my daughter buys from them, too. But when I've been charity shop shopping with my son, the men's bit has always been very poor, with much less choice. Perhaps women tend to have a clear out and donate more often than men?
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:

Try the Shelter in Broomhill, that used to be good.

I think the problem with men's clothes is that we tend to have fewer clothes and wear them out before turning them into dusters, so they're well and truly past it by the time we get rid of them.

There is a chain of second-hand clothing stores in the Atlantic provinces called Frenchy's, and in 1998 I picked up two Brook's Brothers suits there for $150 each. Clothing jobbers cheerfully clear out warehouses of clothing from manufacturers and estate sales; one of the distinct advantages of men's formal clothing is that it does not date easily, and can often be altered to be more current without much cost and trouble.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oxfam online have some good stuff. Easily found through their main website.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

quote:
quote:

I wondered how you'd get on - interesting result. There could be various underlying factors to explain the difference. Football shirts and saris apart, of course.
No saris - not much ethnic diversity where I live. I'm sure some people were wearing football shirts, but those weren't the purples, yellows or peach colours I observed. Those were just normal shirts or tee-shirts or vest tops. Most were pastel-y, especially the purples. I think a lot of people wear pastels in summer where I live, now I think about it.

Maybe it depends on whether people are working - people may wear darker colours to work, to look smarter. There's lots of unemployment and people on benefits where I live.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Most of my clothes come from charity shops, and my daughter buys from them, too. But when I've been charity shop shopping with my son, the men's bit has always been very poor, with much less choice. Perhaps women tend to have a clear out and donate more often than men?

I think it takes a keen eye to sort thru the chaff and identify the wheat. When I walk into a charity shop (we call them "thrift stores" in the US) I never see anything worth even pulling off the rack. My daughter, though, has the uncanny ability to walk in and look through a rack filled with misshapen tired old 80s has-beens and pull out the one or two wonderful things that will look incredible on her. It's a gift-- but not one everyone has, so no use saying "just go to a charity shop".

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not know all shipmates are in areas where they have consignment shops or second-hand clothing shops which specialize in estate sales. During my working years, when I needed ties and dress shirts, I often found what I needed in Kensington Market in Toronto. Courage My Love was my favourite for years, and women friends often bought the handsewn shirts of dead plutocrats for they were very good quality and, with a bit of tailoring, could make them the best-dressed woman in the room.

Formal dress clothes are often very well-made and last for decades and should you find a good set, will keep you the rest of your life. When I was a student in Ireland in the 1970s, many impoverished students happily wore dinner jackets from the 1920s, courtesy of recently-deceased uncles. Indeed, I knew several students, too skint for meals, who would simply put on dinner jackets and crash corporate, professional, or embassy dinners. Having established themselves as amusing young table companions, they soon found themselves welcomed by organizers, rather than put into the hands of the Gardai. I well recall the enjoyment we had when faced with a photograph on the front page of the Irish Times, with a cheerful medical student dinner crasher meeting the then President of Italy.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You know, people bang on about charity shops, but I've yet to find any item of clothing in one that I wanted to buy, formal or otherwise.

IME, the best ones are in posh areas. Mind you, they tend to be good or the sort of clothes that I expect you wouldn't want. For example, most of my ties (which I need for my line of work) are 100% silk, from charity shops, and cost me about 2-3 pounds each. I also bought a Crombie winter overcoat, new, for 10 pounds. I bought all those things in shops in flash areas. Where I live isn't flash, and all I find in the local charity shops is a miasmic, musty smell.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I totally agree, which is why the raincoat I had made for me recently is purple. It actually cost about the same price as some of the jackets I've seen in the outdoor wear shops, but has the advantage of fitting me perfectly. Wearing it lifts my spirits on a dull day and it coped very well in a recent hail storm.

I am seriously considering a jacket made by the same woman, which I might have made in green. She does a bright pink too, but that's too much like the high vis fluro that has sprouted up everywhere here since the quakes.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not even jeans ?

Only the elasticated waist ones you're allowed to wear after the age of 75.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

Cod I have always sworn that there is a special air freshener called 'eau de charity shop' they all smell the same.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of bright coats round here last winter, it prompted me to buy a new one, a lovely orange toned red. Mind you, my spring coat is a clear mustard with a small self coloured acorn brocade and my favourite colour to wear is green (which my bridesmaid also wore) so I'm probably not the most representative of people. I like to express my mania through my clothes...
Re: the wedding, it's your gig so you get to choose, IMO. A relative of mine had a themed black and red wedding with ball gowns and masques [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

When I worked in a charity shop, anything above a particular size (which was smaller than my size) was just not stocked as it was seen as taking up space that better-selling stock could use. This was a charity shop for a large national charity and got a lot of new/end-of-line stock from places like M&S, with less room for donated goods. If you're an awkward shape or size, charity shops are largely useless for clothes.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I worked in a charity shop, anything above a particular size (which was smaller than my size) was just not stocked as it was seen as taking up space that better-selling stock could use

Well that explains a lot!!!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My best charity shop experience was when I had to rush over the width of England when my mother went into hospital, and I hadn't taken much with me as the hospital had said "come now". I am at the higher end of the size range. The shop had a whole set of things that were my size and my style and very good condition - two blouses, one of which I have on now (after 1997), a very good green woollen jacket with the pockets uncut, and there must have been a skirt as well. They looked as though they had all come in from the same person, and I think they had come in that day. Very occasionally I do get the feeling that things have been arranged for me, and am appropriately thankful.

I think that Oxfam has a local distribution system before sending things to their central place, as I have seen my donations in my local shop at times.

On the green front - it is one of my colours. Years ago, in the seventies, I think, I made myself a crochet top in a fine green mohair yarn. It wasn't particularly seethrough, but it did not need white underwear under it, so I sent to the local clothes shop (the old fashioned sort with drawers behind a glass display counter) and asked about green bras. The quite young lady assistant was visibly shocked. "We don't stock those, that would be unlucky!" That was in the Kentish Weald, from whence I thought, as in Kipling, all the phariseeses had flitted.

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
"Dear friends and family, we are getting married by the Archdruid of Britain on the top of Glastonbury Tor at sunrise on June 21st 2015. Dress: skyclad."

You realise this actually happens, right?

Well, okay, it wouldn't be sunrise on the Solstice because there wouldn't be room; there are too many other rituals and parties going on there then. I was at them this year myself. And skyclad would be unusual, and it would probably be an ordinary Druid priest rather than actual Rollo Maughfling. But the kind of thing you're sending up absolutely happens. I have some friends who frequently preside over handfastings like these.

Anyway. I love weddings and I'd want to make my friends happy so frankly I'd wear whatever the hell I was asked to, but "no black" would make me grumpy and unhappy and like I was personally being got at on account of being The Only Goth At The Wedding or something and I'd feel both anxious and contrary about it. I wouldn't *do* anything; I'd get on with it and follow orders. But I'd dislike it.

I shall be maid of honour to a dear friend in a few weeks time, and at her behest am wearing black with red accents to compliment her, as she'll be in red with black accents :-)

[ 16. July 2014, 12:08: Message edited by: Persephone Hazard ]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

I can't speak for Doc Tor, but I am aware that pagan handfasting ceremonies take place; I was merely suggesting that requiring all the guests to come skyclad would be foolhardy in this climate...

I'd have thought Beltane would be a more appropriate date for a handfasting, anyway.

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suppose you do specify "No black clothing, please"? How far will you go to enforce this? Will the ushers turn away those who are dressed in black? I assume this is going to be a "church wedding". You could have black-wearers placed in the back row, like it or not.

I'd rather see a black dress than a tasteless cocktail dress, strapless, backless, and slit up to you-know-where.

L*R mentioned no-white. This was the only regulation I've known. It was the bride's privilege to wear white, with no competition.

"Next Sunday is Pentecost. Wear RED!"
"St. Patrick's Day- Wear GREEN!" Being told this in the church announcements is annoying to me, and just doesn't seem to fit into the reason why people turn up at church. I don't have red, except for something I'd wear to a picnic, or to bed. Ladies don't wear gloves and hats any more. Let 'em wear black. And don't mention attire on your invitation.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016