homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thesis Support version 5.0 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Thesis Support version 5.0
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How did it go, Trisagion?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(psst Wodders, you're a month ahead of yourself! Though I guess that would make the basis of a pretty freaky viva anxiety dream!)

Hope those of you in the viva preparation stage are not freaking out too much [Votive]

And best wishes to those of you a bit further away from that point, hope that you're still moving forward with it all [Votive]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal]

When in retirement all months are much the same!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't got a date yet, other than "probably early January." But I've started writing what I hope will be a readable, and hence publishable, version. It's taken a week to get the first 1,100 words written. [Hot and Hormonal]

I am getting a fuzzy happy feeling when I think about writing it, which dissipates as soon as I've opened the word document.

Has anybody tried to write up their thesis for a general readership, as opposed to academic?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
How did it go, Trisagion?

It hasn't taken place yet. Date now 11am, Tuesday, 3rd December. Saw it in the University Gazette this week. It now seems horribly real and uncomfortably close. Prayers, please.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trisagion, forgive me if this is inappropriate, but it seems to me that the way you post screams of someone with an academic intellect, attention to detail and a critical mind. This comes across so palpably in this limited text medium that I cannot imagine you will have any difficulty convincing examiners of this with the benefit of a written thesis and an encounter in the flesh.

You have my humble and superfluous prayers in addition.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are too kind. Many thanks for the prayers.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Trisagion - Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How did it go?
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

I passed. A few minor corrections but a recommendation for publication as well.

Many thanks for all your prayers

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Congratulations!!! Well done, Dr Trisagion.
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Congratulations!!! Well done, Dr Trisagion.

Congratulations from here, too.

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...and from me!

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations to you, Doctor Trisagion.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Trisagion!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Trisagion and I hope you find a publisher for the book of the thesis.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

Many thanks all. I now find myself completely knackered, emotionally flat and wondering what I'm going to do next. I think I'm going to sleep for a week.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Dr. Trisagion! [Yipee]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I have a viva date. It's in January.

[Yipee] ... [Eek!] ... [Help]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How soon in January. If the later half, do Christmas and New Year and then create time to prepare.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations Dr Trisagion! [Yipee]

Now to start cheering NEQ down the home strait [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So close, Dr-in-Potentia Quine! [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I have a viva date. It's in January.

[Yipee] ... [Eek!] ... [Help]

Rest, rest, rest.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Passed with minor revisions.

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Congratulations.

Hope that the minor corrections are soon done!

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, NEQ!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a good start to 2014. Congratualtions

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray! [Yipee]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, NEQ! [Yipee]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, well done!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Congratulations, NEQ! [Yipee]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Congratulations.

Hope that the minor corrections are soon done!

Jengie

It's revisions, rather than corrections. I haven't got them in writing yet, but I think it only affects my Introduction. I said what I was going to study, but the supervisor feels I should have a section saying "I could have included this, but I chose not to because..."

Plus he feels one of my appendices doesn't add much to my central theme - he's right, I think I only included it because it represented a lot of work and I was loth not to use it, so tabulated it and stuck it in as an appendix.

I was hard up against the 100,000 word limit (I'd have been over it if my sneaky "index" had been included in the word count [Two face]

So, drop one appendix, and add a section to my Intro, plus correct typos.

I've got two months to do the revisions.

The viva felt pretty brutal, but they have strongly advised me to aim to write it up as a book.

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

Brilliant NEQ. Well done.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I think I have just forgiven my university for having an 80,000 word limit as they do not include appendices! I think I have at least 20,000 words in those. Three case studies, consent forms, interview protocol and I just realised I can bung a statistical analysis in there as well. The Bibliography does not count either.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I've got my list of revisions and (gulp) there's rather more than I expected.

I'll clarify this with the Uni next week, but wonder if anyone knows the answer to this meanwhile, I was hard up to the maximum word count when I submitted (100,000, but I was told I had wiggle room up to 102,000; my word count was 101,000). The revisions include several stipulations to add paragraphs, usually to add more general historical background and context. If I just do the revisions, without cutting back elsewhere, I'm going to end up well over the word limit.

Can I simply do what I've been asked to do, regardless of word limit?

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No idea of the answer to your question (someone at the uni must know, surely. Or just add more words and say 'but the examiner told me to...') but wanted to add my congratulations [Big Grin]
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I am afraid I suspect that nobody but those at your university can answer. My university has a totally different word count regime.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I will ask the Uni, but I got my list of revisions on Sat morning and I'm at a day conference tomorrow. This thread seemed the answer to my Sat morning flap!

On calmer reflection, it might not be as daunting as it first seemed. I might just press on and see whether the word count does rise alarmingly.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a deadline for revisions?

I would write away. It's always easier to edit down than bulk up.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I've got two months to do the revisions, which seems generous.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Right I am doing [Eek!] .

My supervisor emailed me this morning to say when is our next supervision, I am getting through the careful proofing of your thesis. [Ultra confused]

This caused a wobble, first I had a supervision at the start of March, secondly I was not expecting him to be careful proof reading for another couple of months.

I emailed him back, and it looks now as if I may submit before Easter instead of before Witsun! [Eek!]

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Yay! Jengie!
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

[brick wall]

Bah! Almost at the end of the time I was given to do the "minor revisions." One of the revisions I was struggling with was that I should "use the work of X on Y" I couldn't find any work by X on Y. So, getting desperate, I e-mailed X asking for references to her work on Y - and there aren't any, yet. She expects her first article on Y to be published later this year and anticipates a second article being published early next year.

[brick wall]

Still, with that cleared up, I might be able to finish my revisions and get it sent off today.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

This sounds awfully like "I heard a brilliant paper at a conference last year, it must be published by now" scenario. This is forgetting that a two year gestation space (between initial conception and final publication) must be about normal and reporting to at a conference is often early kite flying in the process.

Anyway a footnote that you believe X is doing interesting work on Y but at this point it is unpublished would cover the correction. Then cite personal email from X.

Annoying but it sounds as if corrections are getting done.

Jengie

[ 26. February 2014, 09:12: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I'm pretty sure that's what has happened, Jengie.

However, X has now kindly e-mailed the unpublished paper, and it covers Roman Catholic west coast Scotland 1811-1843, whereas I'm supposed to have used it in a section of my thesis relating to Protestants in the early 1870s in east coast Scotland. So whatever my examiner vaguely recalls hearing at a conference, it has no bearing on my thesis! Even a footnote wouldn't work, unless it said "I believe X is doing interesting work on something entirely unrelated to this topic."

The next comment on my list of revisions is that I wrote about X parish, without mentioning Y school. That's because Y school wasn't in X parish. Perhaps I should provide a footnote of other random schools which weren't in X parish either?

Sigh.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

And yes, I wasted time trying to work out why the examiner thought Y school was relevant to X parish.

Sigh.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Oh dear does sound as if she was half asleep during the conference presentation as well.

Might you take the approach I and a colleague (they are her papers) regularly take with papers and reviewers comments. Create an editable file with a list of the comments in. Against each one state either how you have tackled the correction or why it is not reasonable to make that correction. This shows you have not ignored the correction list without you having to make stupid ones.

Remember you are the expert she is only an academic whose work is similar enough that she can examine you.

Jengie

[ 26. February 2014, 18:12: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

That is what I'm doing. The snag is the waste of time finding out that "use the work of X on Y" isn't a sensible comment.

I'm feeling snarky because I really wanted to have had this over and done with by now!

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Might you take the approach I and a colleague (they are her papers) regularly take with papers and reviewers comments. Create an editable file with a list of the comments in. Against each one state either how you have tackled the correction or why it is not reasonable to make that correction. This shows you have not ignored the correction list without you having to make stupid ones.

NEQ: Many academic journals require you to do exactly this in response to reviewer comments, so you may as well start now.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016