homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Thesis Support version 5.0 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Thesis Support version 5.0
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And my congratulations also on your getting this close to graduation. Big occasion coming up soon!

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope so! I have submitted my revised thesis. I'm not sure if I've done everything or not, because some of the comments were in note form, and it wasn't terribly clear whether they were an observation or a request for changes. For example - p89 "Better nuance." Does that mean I have better nuance, or I need to re-write to give better nuance?" Also, I haven't added as much as I was asked to, because I'm over the word limit - I did explain that, though.

The last week in particular was incredibly stressful - I did the easy typo corrections first, so the last week was the final few. There were tears.

[ 02. March 2014, 06:37: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I now have permission to submit my thesis for examination. There are still another five weekends of work to go, but at least the end is insight. More on my blog.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of three lent disciplines I have succeeded on one.
  • I have not read any of the poems for over a week.
  • I have lost the bead bracelet that I was using as a way of marking Lent after taking it off for Sunday.
  • but I have submitted my thesis.

More to follow on my blog shortly.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, Jengie!

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thank you.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

My Viva is organised for Tuesday 3rd June (slight hitch in that they forgot to consult my supervisor before setting the date). The other thing today was my external examiner requested an electronic copy. I sent her a pdf, I do not trust Word to handle figures at all well on a different computer.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Excellent news Jengie! I found having a date helpful in managing the nerves (but then having the date changed to the day before due to it falling on a UCU strike day cancelled all that out!). I hope that the preparation continues to go well for you.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thank you. I am not sure how the date is playing with me, I was told not to expect anything until the May Day bank holiday. I need to start working out how I am going to prepare, but that can wait until after Easter. [Ultra confused]

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just bumping this up to avoid the hostly oblivionator. Hope preparations are going well, Jengie, and best wishes to other thesissers out there [Smile]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

*bump* again to say all the best, Jengie, I am thinking of you this week.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thank you.

I have checked that the local Sainsbury's has a cafe!! Alright there is a sensible place other than that to get lunch BUT it is almost certainly where my examiners are meeting. Compared with that Sainsbury's cafe feels safe, neutral and anonymous.

I will let people know on Tuesday.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best, Jengie!!
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thank you.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's the Sainbury's, I think it is, it's my local one and the cafe's pretty good.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thoughts and prayers, Jengie

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh Jengie, exciting times! Thinking of you as Tuesday approaches, with prayers for your success. xx

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best, Jengie. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From us over here, too.

[Votive]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thank you all.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Just to say that the outcome was for me to resubmit within 12 months.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Jengie, it's hard to know what to say, but I hope you're OK and that you have good people (including, but not restricted to, your supervisor) with whom you can properly debrief when the time is right. I won't ask for all the gory details as this probably isn't the place, and I guess it will be on your blog when it feels right to you to write it all down. I just hope that you can look back on the examiners' comments and find a positive way forward. I do know a friend who had the same scenario a few years ago; at the time it was terribly traumatic for her but 12 months later when she resubmitted and was re-examined she did agree that the thesis was better for it.

In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers are with you [Votive]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
^Me too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

For those who want the gory details they are now up on my blog. At least those I could recall when writing.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] JJ

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Oh, Jengie, that's tough.

Someone I know is doing a very interview-heavy PhD and he got funding to have some of his interviews transcribed for him; is that a possibility?

[ 04. June 2014, 21:10: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Just to say that the outcome was for me to resubmit within 12 months.

Jengie

Oh, shit. I'm sorry. But you will rise, and the work will be all the better for it.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<taps on door & peers into the SCR>
Hi all - is there a space for a Master's dissertation here? Final year of a distance learning MTh starts in Sept, and I've just had a scoping meeting with the programme leader.

How do you eat an elephant? [Eek!]
Any and all sage advice welcomed for this non-humanities student!

Thanks

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Welcome Qoheleth! But be warned, I started out on the original version of this thread when I was in the final year of my Masters degree (2003/2004! A lifetime ago) and subsequent threads saw me through my PhD. Don't say I didn't warn you [Paranoid]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

(apologies for double post) Also, good luck! My Masters was also distance learning, which brought its own unique challenges, it has to be said.

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016