homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Paschal Penguin 2014 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Paschal Penguin 2014
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it's that time of year again.
In a week's time the start of Lent will be upon us, the time when all good folks' thoughts turn to pancakes and the Paschal Penguin.

If you'd like to be involved this year, then this is the place to do it. Well, not for pancakes I'm afraid, but for the Paschal Penguin's promised gifts. Post on the thread, send me a PM with your name and postal address, whether you would like to post a present overseas or within your own country, and whether you have any strong preferences about what you might receive as a gift from a random stranger.

You will be sent the details of another shipmate for whom you should purchase an Easter gift, often but not always involving chocolate, at a cost of no more than £5 sterling or your local equivalent. The gift should be posted to your recipient anonymously, to arrive as close to Easter as possible.

Your details in turn will be passed to a shipmate who will send an equally exciting (hopefully) surprise parcel to you.

Let the fun begin.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please [Big Grin]
Will pm you.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having once received a pancake in the post, I can promise you it is a bad idea!
I'm in, promise. P.M to follow.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please - about to PM.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
likewise

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will join this year.

As I will be near Smudgie Towers II this Eastertide, perhaps I could use my poste restante?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me! Prefer to mail within US/ Canada.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a warning that postal rates from Canada outward are taking a quantum leap on April 1.

I have no information (yet) on parcels, but I do know that postal rates for domestic stamps is going to 85c (from 63c) for stamps in multiples of 10, and for less than 10 stamps, they will cost $1.00.

International stamps and US destinations will take a similar leap.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's cool, I have some uranium I can pawn.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in and can post anywhere.

UK postage rates are going up at the end of March, but not by the eye-watering amounts of a couple of years ago.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
COunt me in too.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me please.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too please! [Smile]
Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in again! Can send anywhere.

PM-ing right now.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Motherboard and JB want to participate.

Will ship anywhere.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heavenly Anarchist
Surfing Madness
ElaineC
Rowen
PeteC
Kelly Alves
Japes
Gussie
St Everild
Adrienne
Cottontail
JB
Motherboard
Smudgie

14 participants so far... and it's only been a day and a bit! We'll give it a couple of weeks for people to sign up and then I'll get the matching done hopefully early enough for people to get nicely organised.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please! Email sent (or just about to be!)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Count me in ! Post to uk or eu

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto - another colonial ready, willing and eagerly anticipating!
Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in! PM sent.

Just a warning in case people aren't aware - liquids aren't allowed to be posted by airmail any more, at least within the EU as far as I know. The customs recently confiscated some liquids from a parcel my sister was sending me and sent the rest back to her. So solid gifts are better!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm Brian and so is my wife. Oh, sorry, wrong thread! Anyway, Celtic Knotweed and I are both in.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, why not? I'll stay stateside this year, though.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Please shout if you notice I've missed you off the list..... So far we have:

Heavenly Anarchist
Surfing Madness
ElaineC
Rowen
PeteC
Kelly Alves
Japes
Gussie
St Everild
Adrienne
Cottontail
JB
Motherboard
Smudgie
Dormouse
St Gwladys
ecumaniac
Emendator Liturgia
cheesymarzipan
North East Quine
Curiosity killed...
Sandemaniac
Celtic Knotweed
Ariston (24 so far)

Can I remind people to make sure that they not only register their interest on the thread but also send me a PM or email with their posting details (even if you've done it before or know fairly confidently that I know where you live - it just makes it all so much easier!)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me! Me!

But baby hormones mean I currently don't like chocolate.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Roll up, roll up (or even waddle up, if that's your preference). The Paschal Penguin is waiting in eager anticipation to go waddling off on his Easter Errands, all he needs is for you to sign up here and send a PM with your name and address and sending preferences. It's almost your last chance. By the end of the week I'll be closing the list. So come on, what are you waiting for? Add your name to this illustrious list:

Heavenly Anarchist
Surfing Madness
ElaineC
Rowen
PeteC
Kelly Alves
Japes
Gussie
St Everild
Adrienne
Cottontail
JB
Motherboard
Smudgie
Dormouse
St Gwladys
ecumaniac
Emendator Liturgia
cheesymarzipan
North East Quine
Curiosity killed...
Sandemaniac
Celtic Knotweed
Ariston
Sophs

(25 so far)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes please, I'd like to join in (I'll scuttle rather than waddle if I may). PM to follow.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cathscats
Shipmate
# 17827

- Posted      Profile for Cathscats   Email Cathscats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in, just have to discover how to PM! [Confused]

--------------------
"...damp hands and theological doubts - the two always seem to go together..." (O. Douglas, "The Setons")

Posts: 176 | From: Central Highlands | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Above any post there's a picture with an envelope and two people - find a post from Smudgie, click on that envelope and it should work

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't wait !!!!

Got Paschal presents downtown for me and JB on Friday, now to have someone to send the spicy little darlings to........ [Snigger]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

An unexpected weekend treat distracted me from the task in hand, but rest assured, by the end of tomorrow (all being well), there should be a message appearing in your PM box. Just make sure there's space for incoming messages [Big Grin]

Meanwhile, if you haven't signed up, there's just a miniscule window of opportunity left....

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just got a message giving me the name and address of someone who will be getting a visit from a penguin, hopefully before Easter! Thank you Smudgie - I had already bought something and think that my recipient will like it.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Phew... my calculations make it that everyone should now have the contact details of their penguinee. If you haven't, check your emails (two people had very full PM boxes.. tsk tsk). If you still haven't, then let me know.

If your message contains no details about preferences/allergies/fussinesses/etc then that is because your recipient did not specify any.

Apologies if you have got someone you've had before - it's a random allocation and it sometimes works out that way (once the same pairing arose three years running!) and it's been going far too long now for me to keep checking back.... It's all the luck of the draw!

Now, get busy and keep one eye on the letterbox [Smile]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Your PM box is full, for obvious reasons, so I will report here "Message received!" [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Message received and [Hot and Hormonal] some pm box cleaning has happened

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

All cleaned and polished. Wish I could tackle the kitchen as efficiently!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Off this morning, purely coincidentally, to one of the largest malls in South Asia (4 floors of conspicuous consumption - aka the other India) so will be looking for ideas, and then buying locally (much much cheaper)

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Message received!

Shopping will happen soon.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye-aye Smudgie!

I'm on to it...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Message received, off to have a think

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penguin has been shopping, how long it will take him to find energy to flap away is a different matter.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JB and I have sent our Paschal Penguin's gifts to UK.
We hope you like the little surprises from our part of the world.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parcel packed and ready to go. It would have gone today if an afternoon nap hadn't waylaid me till the post office was shut for the day. [Snore]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Parcel in post.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I received a mysterious parcel on Friday which the customs label says is candy so I am assuming it is penguin related. Thank you, I haven't opened it yet!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Penguin due to start paddling tomorrow.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A mysterious little parcel has made its way here from Stateside. I am saving it for Easter Day. [Smile]

Meanwhile, mine will be posted by midweek, and I hope it will get there on time.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Penguin set off with a parcel today. Last seen heading westwards.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016