homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » A London Walk - 10th August (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: A London Walk - 10th August
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds perfect. Sparrow, was this the Hampstead Heath station, or the North Hampstead station?

We have more or less agreed to meet at 2 pm, walk and then stop somewhere for refreshment.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sorry but it looks as if I will not be able to come now, as we are moving over that week-end. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else interested?

We'll be meeting next Sunday 10th August just outside Hamstead station on the Northern Line for a walk followed by a pub meal.
Shall I bring a print out of that Ramblers walk, or do you have a good one to hand CK?

Any suggestions as to pubs to finish up in, I always liked The Flask but haven't been there for a while.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a fairly humungous walk suggestion I can bring along (plus a tired offspring) but there will be lots of options.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 pm, I will be there with my husband! Let us hope it doesn't rain!

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be there.

Can anyone recommend a good place to park that won't cost th earth? I normally park at Kensington town hall when visiting London, but it's quite a complicated tube journey from there.

How will we recognise each other?

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It rather depends where you are coming from. In Hampstead there are apparently cheap parking bays. But if you're coming from the south west of London then what about Richmond? The route by public transport is then Overground to Hampstead Heath Station and walking the short distance between the stations.

But if you're coming from the south then anything on the Northern Line would work - Morden, South Wimbledon, Colliers Wood, from the north look at the options from further up the northern line.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

A secret signal? A specific garment, boutonniere or hat?
I am easily recognized -- tall, Asian and slender. I walk and talk like an American, and my hair is short and asymmetric.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm short and fair and will probably have my offspring with me too.
Anyone coming from SW London will probably need to consider using public transport . A lot of roads will be closed due to the large bike race on that day.

Don't worry about recognising people, we all seem to have a certain SoF's aura that helps us identify each other!

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

And anyway, my daughter quite likes bouncing up to random lost looking people and asking them if they're axe-murderers off the internet. The expressions are usually worth watching.

First time I properly met moonlitdoor I wasn't sure if he was male or female, so Yangtze and I chatted loudly about the Ship near to two likely looking suspects, one male, one female, and hoped the right one would identify themselves.

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still hoping to come. I live not far from Hampstead so I won't have any problems getting there.

I’ll probably be the one looking very nervous [Smile]

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 505 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Hope you can make it Abigail. I used to live near Hampstead when I was growing up, and still find living south of the river a bit foreign!

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Sounds perfect. Sparrow, was this the Hampstead Heath station, or the North Hampstead station?

We have more or less agreed to meet at 2 pm, walk and then stop somewhere for refreshment.

It was Hampstead station (Northern Line)NOT Hampstead Heath which is on the overground.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I am getting on an airplane in about 6 hours, and my connectivity may be spotty for a while. However, I will be there on Sunday at 2!

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Safe travels, BC! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm up for this walk too. And I have a visitor staying so will bring her as well.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, if we bring swimsuits we could go for a swim in the bathing ponds.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

As well as me and my son, another friend may be joint us as well. The weather forcast doesn't exactly look promising, but I guess we can adapt plans to what ever happens.

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly where is the walking place tomorrow?

Maybe I can come - where and by what time ?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Daisymay - and anyone else interested.

We're meeting at 2.00pm outside Hampstead (Northern Line) tube station on Sunday 10th August. The plan is for a walk followed by a meal in a pub.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry but I might not be there after all - I have injured my back today. I won't know till tomorrow morning whether I will be up to it. So if I don't turn up, don't wait for me.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
Hey, if we bring swimsuits we could go for a swim in the bathing ponds.

Given the weather forecast for tomorrow you should probably just bring swimsuits for the walk.

(Sorry. I hope it won't be like that in reality.)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I have an umbrella and a water-repellent jacket, so I will be there.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Looking forward to meeting you all, come what may regarding the weather!

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enjoy the walk, even in the rain, I'm sorry we can't be there.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

I don't think I will make it after all. Sorry to miss meeting you all, but have a great day, in spite of the weather!

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

M., Macarius and Sparrow, sorry you won't be there. Maybe we need to arrange another London meet sometime soon?

According to the BBC the weather shouldn't be too bad this afternoon.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would still love to come, but it's a long drive from where I live. Before I set off, can I just check whether anyone else is coming?

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It's not that wet at the moment either.

M and Macarius do you want to have an India Club meet at some point? And we can ask Sparrow along too?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Starbug, at least three of us will be there, it should be good, and the weather lokks like it'll improve this afternoon.

CK, the India Club sounds like a good idea, any prevered dates?

[ 10. August 2014, 08:31: Message edited by: Gussie ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Another two coming from here. And Yangtze? And Brenda Clough.

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's looking VERY wet where I am. But I've made up my mind to come so I'll be there.

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

Great! [Yipee]

I'm short with dark hair and I'll be wearing a brown/beige Craghoppers raincoat. Looking forward to meeting you all!

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Two coming from here. May need a wet weather plan though. Burgh House?

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Or Fenton House ?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It's drying out - shall we check when we get there?

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

On my way, sunny here now.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope you're having a great time and keeping dry!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got to the tube a bit later of 2pm (it took a while today) and so I walked and could not meet anyone.
I walked up and around a long time and also checked in the places where people might eat.
It was a lovely place to walk up and around. I wish I managed to meet you all. Sad...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

We waited until 2:15pm by Hampstead tube then took off up Heath Lane to Jack Straws Castle (which is now housing and looks very different) across the Heath to the Parliament Hill Fields via the mixed bathing pond. Not sure where they went from there because Curious Kitten and I retreated hurt via Gospel Oak station, but they said they were heading up to Highgate.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Sorry we missed you Daisymay. We walked to Highgate and spent a couple of hours in a pub, followed by dinner in local restaurant. Good to see old Ship friends and make some new ones

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would certainly never have dared to explore Hampstead Heath without trusty native guidance! Thanks to all who came along!

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Another London meet sounds a great idea. It's about time I met some more shipmates.

Hope you all had a good day anyway.

--------------------

Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

I enjoyed my first ever shipmeet – thank you everyone!

Now I've taken the plunge hopefully I can do it again…

--------------------

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

It was lovely to meet you Abigail, hopefully see you at lots more shipmeets in the future.

Nice to meet the others of you I hadn't met before too.

All round a fun Meet. And weren't we lucky with the weather, all things considered.

Sorry for speedy dash off at end but tht bus doesn't go that often and I thought my Spanish visitor might keel over if I didn't get her home soon.

[ 10. August 2014, 21:33: Message edited by: Yangtze ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Do we want to book an India Club meet sometime soon for those who couldn't make today? Or is there anywhere else people would like to meet?

photo from today

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you had a good time, we were sorry to miss it.

An India Club meet is ALWAYS a good idea. I'm not around for a few days but will start a new thread at the end of the week, if no-one else has.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

Good photo. Thanks to Yangtze's friend for taking it. I hope she's recovered from being taken on a walk with a lot of *strange* people the moment she arrived in the country.

I agree an India Club meet would be excellent. CK do you want to start it or shall I?

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I would be available August 18

--------------------

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

Thank you for a great day yesterday. It was good to meet you all. I'd love to do it again (although I'm not sure I'd park at Ealing next time - it's not exactly convenient for the M3!)

[ 11. August 2014, 09:13: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016