homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Going to Iceland

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Going to Iceland
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am spending 2 days in Reykjavík this summer. What should I do, eat, buy or see? I have already been advised to take the circle tour (I gather this makes the circuit of the island, which is not big.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I am spending 2 days in Reykjavík this summer. What should I do, eat, buy or see? I have already been advised to take the circle tour (I gather this makes the circuit of the island, which is not big.)

It's been a long time since I was there, but the Golden Circle tour does not cover the circuit of the whole island, but is only 300km. The Blue Lagoon or some other hot spring is always fun.

The fish was uniformly spectacular and you must have some at every meal. I liked the smoked lamb, which is lovely as a cold meat (sadly, I do not think that you can take it into the US). Brennivin, the local schnapps, is an acquired taste. The woolly icelandic sweaters are very practical-- mine is 25 years old and, underneath a shell, keeps me comfortable up to -30°C. Yarn is a great present for your knitting buddies.

I must admit that I quite like hanging out a coffee houses for hours and R'vik is good for that. However, there is a lot of interesting artsie stuff going on there so do some googling based on your own interests and try to catch some evening event.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Blue Lagoon geothermal lakes are a legendary place for a relaxing swim after your flight. A shuttle bus runs direct from Keflavik airport (which is miles out of Rekjavik) and they will look after your luggage for you. Be warned though that Icelandic geothermal bath showers are mandatorily naked and collective, albeit unisex.

[ 30. April 2014, 05:08: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
The woolly icelandic sweaters are very practical-- mine is 25 years old and, underneath a shell, keeps me comfortable up to -30°C.

Yes, but don't wash one or else it'll only fit a doll.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue Lagoon is great, and it's possible to find geothermal baths that don't require you to strip right down. Try to go to Thingvellir, Gullfoss, Geysir and one of the museum of buildings too. If you can find a trip to an icecap and glacier then they are fascinating to experience.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
... I have already been advised to take the circle tour (I gather this makes the circuit of the island, which is not big.)

Not if you're only there for a couple of days, it doesn't.

The Golden Circle is usually a day-trip to the Great Geyser (which spouts about once a week*) and Strokkur (which goes off about every five minutes), the Gullfoss waterfalls and þingvellir, the site of the ancient Icelandic parliament. It may also include the geo-thermally-heated greenhouses at Hveragerði, where they have the only banana trees in Europe ...

Take your bathing costume with you: no trip to Iceland is complete without a swim in the Blue Lagoon. It's located about half-way between Keflavik airport and Reykjavik, and some tours include a trip either on your way in or on your way back. It's the out-fall from a geo-thermal power station, and is a bit like getting into a bath the size of a lake; it makes you feel absolutely fantastic. As my Better Half put it, "I reckon if you did that every day, you'd probably live for ever". [Big Grin]

We were there in 1995 and 2002, to celebrate our respective 40th birthdays (both of which fall in the winter - the Blue Lagoon is even better when hailstones start falling on your head [Cool] ), and we absolutely fell in love with the place.

Where's that "envy" icon when I really need it? [Devil]

* and obligingly did when we were there on my 40th.

[ 30. April 2014, 14:39: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't pass up Sunday services at the Hallgrímskirkja.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, I will only be there on Wednesday and Thursday, but I do want to see all these things! The idea of a jaunt to the Blue Lagoon is irresistible.

--------------------

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do go and have a look at the Hallgrimskirkja, though, it is really a quite wonderful building.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time we were there our hotel was right across the road from the Hallgrimskirkja, but we were only there for a long weekend, and the Golden Circle tour was on the Sunday, so attending a service wasn't an option.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are only there for 48 hours and you are spending most of a day on the golden circle tour, then you won't need to find many other things to occupy your time. Try to fit the blue lagoon in on your way to or from the airport - don't travel out of reykjavik especially for that, given its location and your schedule.

The National Museum in Reykjavik has a really good collection of objects to get a sense of viking history, and modern history. But if you are pushed for time, and I think you might be, then the Settlement Museum 871+/-2 is a lovely little history museum. The gift shops at both museums are cute and full of craft items.

Buy some chocolate coated liquorice candy bars - that's particularly icelandic. And try out the skyr when you are at a breakfast table.

As a contrast to the Blue Lagoon, and as a more local experience, you can go to any of the local swimming pools in central Reykjavik - there's a lovely one 5 minutes walk from Hallgrimskirkja - the oldest in the city. It has two rooftop hot tubs, where people gather and chat.

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Thanks! I have heard about the licorice...

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016