homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Church Fire Drills

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Church Fire Drills
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure this is the right place, but we are planning to run a fire drill at church. Was just wondering if anyone else has done this? How was it received by the congregation? I'm already having people who are concerned about the disruption it will cause.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a comprehensive discussion about this several years ago. Oops, just looked it up. Begin again.

We discussed this about a year ago..... link to thread here.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's an announcement the previous week that a drill will be held to comply with the insurer's requirements. Usually it is held just before the Peace. Everyone leaves, there's a check that the church is empty and then everyone goes back The Peace follows and so forth. It's done with good humour and an understanding of the need. IIRC, on one occasion when the evacuation was due, it was pouring rain. The drill was delayed a week on the basis that there could never be a fire in such weather.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've done it a couple of times. We warn the congregation a few weeks in advance that it will be sprung as a surprise within X number of weeks.
Usually happens just before the final hymn, so that everyone can go outside & be dismissed from there.
Congregation have been fine with it.
Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone brought this up with our insurer who, knowing the church, said a drill wasn't necessary and that it would be confirmed in writing.

When the letter came it included ...the only person who may be trapped in the event of fire is likely to be your organist: you should make sure they realise this and that their escape route will be to jump down into the nave from the organ loft in the event of fire.

So I can get down from the loft but will probably break both legs in the process [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need to get someone to fit a firemans pole to slide down. Maybe an inflatable slide like the evac slides on aircraft.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago we all had to evacuate when the thurible set the smoke alarm off!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gather after the last Ash Wednesday's service the local university chaplain contacted the University fire people (apparently the service got a bit exuberant with burning paper and the alarms hadn't gone off in the university chapel from the smoke). Their main concern is probably not services since the congregants probably know how to get out of the building (including the tricky bits with some of the door knobs though the organist might be lucky just to break his legs [though there are two stairways out of the loft]) but large numbers of tourists including many whose English is weak or non-existent.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect I mentioned it in the last thread. but here goes anyway. At the annual candlelit Christmas service a few years ago, there was much fuss about fire risk and strategically placed buckets of water here there and everywhere.

Some bright spark left a tealight under the plastic broadcast unit for the PA, and blew the sound system when it melted...

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Someone brought this up with our insurer who, knowing the church, said a drill wasn't necessary and that it would be confirmed in writing.

When the letter came it included ...the only person who may be trapped in the event of fire is likely to be your organist: you should make sure they realise this and that their escape route will be to jump down into the nave from the organ loft in the event of fire.

So I can get down from the loft but will probably break both legs in the process [Ultra confused]

Ask the church to get one of those escape ladders sold to be kept near second story windows and let down in case of fire to permit easy escape. (Yes I know there's no budget for it)
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The organ loft in St. Aidan's Leeds is about 15 foot higher than the nave, which is another 8 foot above ground level.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016