homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Man's best friend is dying

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Man's best friend is dying
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know she's dying, and so does she.

Just for clarity, she's a spaniel. I bought her a decade ago and she was there for me through all my illnesses, my forced medical retirement, and the isolation that followed.

She's not in pain, but she knows. If you've owned a dog for the duration of its life you'll understand; if you haven't then you'll probably think I'm making excuses for keeping an animal alive while it is in pain (so I'll make allowances for your ignorance but ignore your opinion, if it's all the same.)

As Lord Sir Alan of Sugar once said, "If I want a friend I'll buy a dog."

How do you make the decision to take your best friend to the vet and pay for the lethal injection?

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Posts: 345 | From: Chaos | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's one of the worst things I ever did, and it still haunts me. I left it until my dog could hardly stand up, because I didn't want to lose him. So then I had to carry him into the vet's, and then he got his injection, and his heart stopped. Terrible.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had to do it a couple of times. I don't know how I knew when was the time, but I knew. something about the look in his eyes.

I wish someone could someday do it for me.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My beloved dog is 15 going on 16 and each morning I face the situation that he may have died in his sleep. However, although he is very arthritic, short of breath and sleeps most of the day, he appears happy. It is hard to know the point when the vet may have to intervene. I'm hoping Toby will just go peacefully in his sleep so that I have an excuse to avoid the painful last visit to Dr Vet. I feel for your pain.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gareth, I'm so sorry. Rough times and tears ahead. We lost our Annie to lymphoma 10 years ago. We found the lump in her throat in February, she lasted until September. We knew she was ready for us to make the call the night she refused salmon (salmon!) for dinner. Four years ago, Lola's sore leg turned out to be bone cancer. Her strength declined very drastically during her final month, but not her spirit. There came a day I watched her sitting on her favorite porch rug, but -- unlike ever before -- her eyes were staring a thousand yards away. I knew she was ready to be elsewhere.

You know your dog better than anyone. Make the best decision for her that you can, it won't be right and it won't be wrong. No matter what happens when, she'll love you. It'll be okay.

[Votive] [Votive]

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure that this fits the remit of Heaven, so I'll just check with my fellow hosts to see about moving it. We'll get back to you.

Ariel
Heaven Host

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just moving your thread into All Saints, where I hope you'll find the sympathy and support you need at this difficult time.

Best,

Ariel
Heaven Host

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been there and the memory still makes me tear up over 20 years later.

I agree that you will probably know when the time has come - it is never easy but it IS ultimately a kindness.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'm tearing up too. A horrible thing to have to do. But you do have to. Your dog trusts you in everything, she'll trust you in this as well.

Macarius and I know we left it too long with our dear Ozy and it was not fair on her.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Gareth, I'm so sorry. I can't believe she's ten years old, I remember you getting her. What everyone has said here about when the time comes you'll just know sounds very "right".
Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took my cat Patch for her last visit to the vet when I looked at her sitting in the sun and realised she wasn't enjoying it. The vet had said, "you'll know when it's time." I didn't think I would - but I did.

The vet nurse said it was the last good thing I could do for her -and it was. The vet let me hold her as she died, then wrapped her in her blanket and I took her home and buried her.

The other cat watched her being buried.

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

- Posted      Profile for Gareth   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's still a happy little thing, still wagging her tail and pleased to see everyone.

But all she wants to do these days is be held.

--------------------
"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope."
P. J. O'Rourke

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gareth, I'm so sorry. We've had many pets over the years and it's always a wrench letting go. The last cat of ours to go was our dear Louis, in 2011, and I still think of him, and all the others. But we still have three - couldn't live withoout them!

My sympathy to you and love to your spaniel.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be a point at which you can see that she's not interested in life anymore, and the look in her eyes will be asking you to make it all go away.

You'll know, and it will be hard, but you'll know that it is the right thing to do.

Prayers and thoughts for you both - and thanksgiving for 10 years of love and friendship that you will never lose.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gareth, as others have said, you will know. I've had to do it twice and it still tears me up when I think of it. And now our current dog is nearing the last year or so of her life.......

Prayers for you and your family. its hard I know. [Votive]

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
BashfulAnthony
Apprentice
# 15624

- Posted      Profile for BashfulAnthony   Author's homepage   Email BashfulAnthony   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My deepest sympathies to you. I'm destroyed just reading all this - I pray you cope.
Posts: 12 | From: Nottingham | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will have the same thing at some point.

I will not cope.

My family will not cope.

I cannot contemplate it.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is the curse that man was born for;
It is Margaret that you mourn for..

And no easier if it is a furry friend.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry, Gareth - it's such a wrenching decision.

We had to have elderkitty put down last year, and our "young" cat is now 17, so we'll be facing it again in the near future. I agree that lack of interest in favourite things is a great indicator. It helps to talk to someone else who knows your pet well to check your perceptions, as love for our animals can affect our judgement re: their condition.

[Votive]

[ 22. May 2014, 11:50: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tears are welling in my eyes too, so sorry. And yet, it's a privilege that we see their lives through to the end. As others have said, there may come a time when you know that it's right to go the vet's, but equally the day may come when she dies without any intervention as you stroke her and speak soothingly to her.

[Votive] May the time for her release be peaceful.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had to do it twice. My two other dogs lived long lives but died suddenly.

With Boogie (my collie/manchester terrier cross who lived to age 19) I had the vet come to us and Boogie fell asleep on his favourite cushion, he knew nothing about it.

Gavin (cavalier spaniel) was 15, we took him to the vet and he died in my arms. He fell asleep comfortably and also knew nothing, he was wagging and looking at me adoringly as his eyes closed.

I cried a river.

I made the decision with both when they could no longer go out and have a sniff around, however doddery. Their back legs packed in - so, in my view, they no longer had a 'life' and were being kept alive for me, not them. If you see what I mean.

[Votive] for you - it's a truly heartbreaking situation.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me the comfort in the grief is that for them they know nothing more than the fact they are going to sleep. It is just a comfortable drifting off. It is we who are sad.

Prayers for you [Votive]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They don't live long enough. They really don't.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so sorry, Gareth. I haven't had a dog but I have had other pets and this is always heartbreaking. [Votive]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With one of our cats, the vet simply said "you will know" - and we did - it became obvious she was in pain and had completely gone in on herself. She purred in the consulting room.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had senior cat put to sleep a couple of weeks ago as she had cancer in a number of her organs and lost a huge amount of weight very quickly. She just wanted to be with us all of the time so I'm assuming that she knew in her limited kitty way that something was wrong and needed to be with her surrogate parent/pack leader for comfort. I made the decision to take her to the vet when there was still a bit of spark in her rather than wait for her to collapse. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done.

She was the nicest cat I've ever owned and I miss her.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have been her whole of life, and while our chronological accidents mean our lives go on with a "friend shaped hole" her life will have been as complete a world of love as it could ever be. You have give her wholeness. The parting will hurt, but for her it will be one more embrace of the love you have shared.

And yes I have teared up. I've outlived three canine best friends no (and a fourth is growing old) and all the memories flood back. But their lives and mine have been better for the friendship.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When she stops being happy, that'll be the time to make the decision.
I pushed my dog around in a trolley for nearly two years, but she was happy and she loved being up high where passers by could stroke her, and she could hobble around a little bit when I put her down (she had bad arthritis).
She'd wake me up in the middle of the night - "I need to go out now!" and I'd carry her downstairs and outside to do what she needed to do.
But the day came that her tail stopped wagging, and I made the appointment for the vet. For that last week, she lost all interest in anything, and just lay on the settee. It was obvious she wasn't going to improve, and taking her to the vet was absolutely the right decision to make.
She gave happiness to a lot of people - I was still being asked about her a year after she died - and I sometimes felt as if she was there to make people happy, and it was my job to look after her so she could do that!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never had a pet, but I love other people's dogs and feel sad when they pass away. Reading this thread makes me realise how hopeless I'd be if I did have one and he/she became so ill that I had to make that decision.

[Votive] for you, and for your wee friend - when the time comes you'll be doing the right thing for her.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Gareth and Spaniel [Votive]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gareth
Shipmate
# 2494

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
With one of our cats, the vet simply said "you will know" - and we did - it became obvious she was in pain and had completely gone in on herself. She purred in the consulting room.

We had a cat for 16 years, and her health declined very suddenly, over 24 hours. When I took her to the vet she was obviously in pain - but when I held her for the injection she started to purr. Even the vet cried - and wrote to me afterwards.

--------------------
P. J. O'Rourke

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If she is still eating, drinking and responding to you, the time is not yet.

When she stope doing these things and becomes withdrawn and disinterested and unresponsive, that is when you will have to allow her this last kindness.

It is so hard...

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosalind
Shipmate
# 317

- Posted      Profile for Rosalind   Author's homepage   Email Rosalind   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the above. We decided that so long as our dogs weren't in pain, were enjoying a walk (even if a very short one) and enjoyed dinner, we would continue with whatever treatment helped them. One dog had to be taken to the vet, a heart wrenching decision but the right one, the other died at home in his sleep - I was up several times a night in the last few weeks checking he was comfortable.
Gareth, it's an awful time, but your dog knows she is loved, and that's important.

Posts: 141 | From: North Beds | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we had Gavin put to sleep the vet sent us a handwritten letter.

It said

"I just wanted to let you know that our sympathies are with you following the loss of dear little Gavin yesterday. I know how miserable it is to let such a good old friend go - but I remain convinced that it was the right decision and made at the right time. I hope the enclosed poem offers some comfort"

(He enclosed the poem 'If it should be ...' )

What a lovely vet.

[Tear]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016