homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Child (and adult!) friendly Scotmeet - 19th July (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Child (and adult!) friendly Scotmeet - 19th July
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over lunch today we were pondering the possibility of a Scotmeet that was a bit more enticing for the growing number of mini shipmates around the place. On the way home I was wondering whether Almond Valley might be a good venue - it's a farm in Livingston with lots of animals, play areas and a cafe (or picnic tables), plus tractor and train rides and soft play if you're prepared to pay a bit extra. Works well for kids of all ages (well certainly primary school kind of age - not sure what teenagers make of it) and there are museumy bits too (that I can't tell you much about because we tend to miss them out!)

So, anyone up for it? Or have a suggestion for a better venue. I'm guessing a Saturday might be the best option - any preferences?

[ 12. July 2014, 14:24: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might be interested.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know what the Elf Lass will think of Almond Valley, but it looks like the kind of place I'd love [Big Grin] I'm sure we'd be up for a meet there.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a nice idea, and a definite possibility. It would be good to see how the various Shiplings are growing.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife knows the place and thinks the Dafling would enjoy it.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know Saturday is the best day for most, but if we were to do a week day school holidays meet I might be interested.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

- Posted      Profile for Derf   Email Derf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surfing we can be persuaded to Almond Valley any time you like! Well, on a Monday at least if it was a weekday.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to see you all again. Realistically it needs to be Saturday for me.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

OK, because discussions about dates make my head hurt I've set up a Doodle poll with all the Saturdays for the next couple of months so we can see which one most people can do. Do fill it in!

Surfing, I realise that's rubbish for you, but if you want we can organise a meet for when does work for you and then invite everyone else. Or we could just organise an 'it's too long since we've seen the ducks' meet at some other place and time!

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't digress too far on this thread, but there may be opportunity for a child-and-adult-friendly-Scotmeet in mid August if people are around. I just need to tighten up precisely what dates the Smudgelet and I are venturing norf... probably the first half of the second full week of August.

OK, as you were.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Ooooh, am I allowed to get excited? Haven't seen you for aaaaaaaaages!
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think a tiny amount of getting-excitedness might be permitted at this stage. It was when I remembered that, the last time I saw you, the sczlet was little more than a hint of a bump, I suddenly realised it was quite a long time since I last visited my brother!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Goodness, she's quite a lot more than a hint of anything nowadays!
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a great idea. It's been way too long since I've met up with anyone. A Saturday probably works best for me, I'll have a look at the Doodle poll when I'm home - then I shouldn't get messages about the browser not supporting the poll software. At present, my plans for the summer are unformed, at least once past the middle of July as I'll be in Japan before then.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

There are currently two dates tied - anyone fancy joining in to break it? Cottontail? NEQ? Anyone else?
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just filled in mine! Don't know if it has helped or hindered. [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Currently helped [Smile] But no doubt that will change....
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say that the Almond Valley link on the poll page is for somewhere that seems more exotic than Livingston.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've filled it in. Full of Chips might come if it's on July 19, but he might be jet-lagged and just pleased to have a quiet house to himself.

I've messaged cattyish to tell her this doodle poll exists.

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Well July 19th is winning at the mo (sorry Kingsfold). Shall we be decisive and go for it and hope anyone else who wants to come can make it, or are there people we should wait to comment? It's so long since I've seen lots of you I've forgotten who's out there! Want to give Macguyver's Apprentice a prod Alan?
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

He's away at the moment, but I can prod him at the weekend when he's back ... but, we may have settled on a date by then and it'll just be whether he comes with us.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that's not even a date when I could shoogle stuff around - I'm away all that week. Rats.

Oh well, we might have to find another time/excuse to catch up.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I've added our dates in, and we're also away on the 19th.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Trust you to complicate things [Biased] (And apologies for not thinking to prod you in the first place - brain clearly not functioning this week). We're back to the 5th and 19th being tied (I've not tried adding up numbers of people rather than votes yet). Cattyish?
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm keeping half an eye on this thread, but will wait for votes on dates rather than being a determining factor.

Cattyish, off to give the old dog some extra steroids.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

So we have a tie between the 5th and 19th July. I'm not good at making decisions that will exclude some people [Frown] If it was down to me I'd go for the 19th because we're out on the evening of the 5th and it would be a lot of excitement on one day, but if anyone else can come up with a better reason for a decision then yell!
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

[Waterworks]
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

See, now I've made Kingsfold cry [Frown] . This is why I don't do decisions.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

'Bout time we met up anyway derf, and we're close enough geographically for it not to be a major logistical feat. So don't worry about making me cry.
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Indeed - and with that there Surfing too.
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm flexible about dates in July, so once a date is agreed by all the grown ups I'll see if I'm able to tag along.

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Just to mention I'm hoping to be in Kilcreggan from 11th to 14th August so there might be opportunity for a second child-friendly Scotmeet if anyone else misses the date chosen for the first one [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depending where it is I could do the 11th or 13th August.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Scz now probably has something else on on the 5th, so the 19th works better for us. Shall we go for that, and I'll let someone more decisive attempt to get Kingsfold, Surfing and Smudgie in the same place at the same time!
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect North East Quine and I will make it. Full of Chips might be full of sleep that day.

Perhaps I'll try to borrow a child [Biased]

Cattyish, happily summer planning.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Hooray! And you can feel free to borrow my child if you don't find another one.
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumping this up, looking forward to it. Just checking it is 19th July we've definitely settled on?

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

I hope so, given that if it was the 5th we've missed it!

I guess at some point we need to think about things like what time we want to meet, whether we want to brave a picnic or just go for lunch in the cafe and so on. Not that we all have to agree on any of those things!

I'm happy to be a vague coordinating point on the day if that helps - anyone who's not got my mobile number and would find it useful I can provide it by PM.

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

quote:
Originally posted by Derf:
I hope so, given that if it was the 5th we've missed it!

[Hot and Hormonal] Good point. How long before I can stop using baby brain as an excuse?

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

18 years...
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

Given that this meet is just a week away, perhaps a passing host could do the honours and add the date to the thread title?

What is on offer lunch-wise at the farm? The Elf Lass normally needs a milk feed between 12-1ish and a bit of food afterwards, but it doesn't make much difference if we eat at the farm or go a bit later having eaten here. If they do nice cake that might well sway my decision [Big Grin]

--------------------
wiblog blipfoto blog

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Done!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Good thought re date - thank you.

Farm cafe does sandwiches, soup, macaroni cheese - that kind of thing. They do do cakes although not necessarily exciting enough ones to make a special trip for, but it's ages since I've eaten in the cafe.

I imagine we'll go down late morning some time, and eat there (either cafe or picnic), then we'll be able to come home when (if!) the sczlet flags and needs a nap. Happy to catch up with whoever whenever. We're just round the corner so folks can always make their way back to ours if that's helpful.

Dafyd I think I said at some point we'd give you a lift from the station - the offer still stands (and for anyone else coming by train).

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Just to say I'm intending to come over with two smaller Cresswells.

--------------------

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Yay [Smile] The sczlet will be very pleased to see them (and it'll be good to see you)
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have we discussed time of gathering yet? Presumably sometime at or before lunch?
Derf, we would like a lift from Livingston North, thank you.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Cattyish and I are planning our trip. We expect to arrive around 12, unless told otherwise.

[ 14. July 2014, 18:06: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Derf
Shipmate
# 2093

Well lunch in our house tends to be around 12 or I have two grumpy people to contend with.... So we'd appreciate gathering by then.

Dafyd do you have my number? - I can't remember.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Derf:
Dafyd do you have my number? - I can't remember.

I think I do. Last three digits add to 20.
That said, my phone is being temperamental at the moment, so I'm about to go through the hoops of replacing it.

I think we can arrive at Livingston North any time after 11. What will suit you?

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

I can get there for midday as well. Looking forward to seeing folks. [Smile]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016