homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » OK, 'o's gooin' Greenbelt? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: OK, 'o's gooin' Greenbelt?
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And WHEN is McLaren speaking?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me. And I have no idea.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're not going this year, unfortunately - various family and other holiday commitments in the week or so before mean that it's just too far to come so soon after another set of really long drives south from Scotland. It's the ideal location for us though (well as ideal as possible in the circumstances, given we live in Scotland - my parents live less than 10 miles away from Boughton House). And being a Northants native I can appreciate the thread title [Smile]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there. First 'christian festival' I'll have been to since the 1984 Anglia Bible Week. Don't think the schedule has been released yet, but it can't be too long before it is.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jack the Lass! I was taken for a Wellingborough native in a Northampton pub!! Deep joy. One is from Leamers ectually.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there. I have no idea about the programme, though.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of acts listed on the website but they don't tend to give a full timetable till much closer.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ceesharp
Shipmate
# 3818

- Posted      Profile for Ceesharp   Email Ceesharp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me... (who?)
Posts: 629 | From: West Midlands, UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aye. Don't know if I'm talking yet, though.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Jack the Lass! I was taken for a Wellingborough native in a Northampton pub!! Deep joy. One is from Leamers ectually.

Haha, I'm not sure I'd dare go in a Northampton pub! Oh well, take it as a compliment - all the best people are Wellingborough natives [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby and I will be there too.

[ 01. June 2014, 19:34: Message edited by: Lucia ]

Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Aye. Don't know if I'm talking yet, though.

I'm not, although I did apply to.

Clearly "an hour spouting meaningless drivel" didn't appeal.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there if the van's still going.
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there with the family as always. Only now it is nearer to me again - hooray!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, will be there with Mrs Roar, little Roar (who will be 16 months old) and the in-Roars.

I'm hoping I'll be looking forward to the festival a bit more by the time it comes round. It's all been super stressful up to this point with the new camping arrangements meaning we thought we (in our tent) wouldn't be able to camp with our in-laws (in their trailer tent - needed for FiL's health), being officially told by GB that we *would* be able to camp together, and then being told by GB a month later that we would *not*... In the end we've bitten the bullet and hired a trailer tent ourselves for that weekend...

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Should be there.

I had a walk on the southern edge when there were the (floods in Devon and) high water in the Ise brook. Ground did seem pretty solid and not too muddy.
Still no idea where the actual thing is happening and what spirit the owners are taking it in. I'll try to reccie during Alt-fest.

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure. We have been spoilt by the Cheltenham Racecourse venue- the infrastructure meant that however bad the weather, there was somewhere sheltered to retreat to and get dry again. Except that awful year when it never stopped....

Cheltenham is also near, so we could get home quickly, if necessary.

We will wait and see....

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well of course, B&B booked as soon as the new venue was announced.
Don't forget its not in Cheltenham.... [Two face]

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will be there - volunteering in the Access area.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I booked tickets soon after I got home last year.

I booked accommodation within days of the venue being announced.

Am I coming over as too enthusiastic?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will be being Franciscan again. Intrigued as to how that's going to work out. Must work out how I'm going to get there too.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
Will be being Franciscan again. Intrigued as to how that's going to work out. Must work out how I'm going to get there too.

Carys

Will you be on the Anglican communities stand? I know last year it was only a couple of stands across from the SCM stand (which I was volunteering on) - fun to see so many habits!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:

Carys

Will you be on the Anglican communities stand? I know last year it was only a couple of stands across from the SCM stand (which I was volunteering on) - fun to see so many habits!
I'm a tertiary so if I'm on a stall it'll be the TSSF one which was next to the ARC one last year, though I failed to volunteer for a slot. Franciscan encampment has a mix of First order, Third Order, companions and others, and increasingly other orders but it was felt that ARC stall should be staffed by those of gathered religious communities.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, we're not going this year.

Mainly because I am expecting a baby two weeks before the festival so we might be a bit busy!

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We probably won't be there this year either. Unfortunately finances and our new house have taken priority. Disappointed as would have liked to see how it works at the new venue.

Tom

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Nope, we're not going this year.

Mainly because I am expecting a baby two weeks before the festival so we might be a bit busy!

That is, of course, no sort of excuse. If Kate Aldridge can give birth at Glastonbury*, it should be a doddle to give birth at Greenbelt...

The Revs will be there but with very different travel arrangements. Cheltenham was barely an hour away, but Broughton requires an overnight stay at the MiL somewhere near civilisation (Leicester!). We did look at volunteering options but with a new venue it seemed sensible to see how things work out before adding further levels of confusion.

* I am aware that The Archers is fictional**, but it seems like a good example to me

** OK, we know that Ambridge is real, but to keep BBC bosses happy we'll pretend it's fictional. [Paranoid]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Incidentally, on one day of the festival, I will be wearing a Schroedingers Cat t-short. Look out for it, and say hello!

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I was thinking of sporting a green gardenia.

--------------------
Love wins

busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm planning to be there as usual, but it'll be weird doing it without ken.

[ 16. June 2014, 06:16: Message edited by: busyknitter ]

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all,

Myself, Daddyrat and Ratlet will all be going for the first time this year. Ratlet is only a baby - has anyone else taken a baby before and survived?!

Other festivals I've been to tend to have started at midday and finished around 10.30pm. Is GB similar? I have heard mention of a midnight goth Eucharist at a previous GB (sounds great)!

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips!

--------------------
stay simple, remain whole

Posts: 80 | From: The Shires | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mob are there (Order of the Black Sheep) but I'm not personally, alas.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by recklessrat:
Hi all,

Myself, Daddyrat and Ratlet will all be going for the first time this year. Ratlet is only a baby - has anyone else taken a baby before and survived?!

Other festivals I've been to tend to have started at midday and finished around 10.30pm. Is GB similar? I have heard mention of a midnight goth Eucharist at a previous GB (sounds great)!

I've never taken a baby to GB, but the festival organisers work quite hard to make things easier for people with very little ones. The Cheltenham venue used to have a rest venue (OK, a big tent) with facilities for baby changing, bathing, chilling out etc. It always looked busy so I assume there will be something similar at the new place.

Scheduled events at GB tend to start at 9am and finish around 11pm, with the occasional late night thing going on like the Goth Eucharist. Again, it'll be interesting to see how they manage all that at the new venue, particularly with fewer actual buildings available.

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have heard mention of a midnight goth Eucharist at a previous GB (sounds great)!

I spoke to Robb Sutherland and he's confirmed that it is going ahead as usual.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

- Posted      Profile for recklessrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's great - thanks both. Can't wait!!!

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hi all,

Both my boys went to Greenbelt as babies, my youngest was only 2 months. We found this age was okay, as he breastfed and slept all day so was it easy to sit in venues like the Performance Cafe. We had planned for him to sleep in a Moses basket at night but he was freezing in it and ended sleeping with us instead - do bear cold nights in mind, though the new location is probably warmer than Cheltenham. Greenbelt is used to children though, there is a curfew area to camp in and baby bathing facilities, though we used to bathe our older babies in a plastic toy tub in the sun - people came up and took photos! [Smile]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hi all,

Yes. Both of mine were babies and toddlers at GB.

If I have one hint, it's go for the Early Curfew field. Noise cut-off is about 9, 9.30pm. Obviously, you may have to put up with screaming babies all around you, but at least you don't have youth groups singing Kendrick songs until 3am.

GB tends to start earlier. Most first talks are scheduled to start at (IIRC) 9am or 9.30.

There will be (has been in the past, presumably will be this year) a tent with a bazillion Burco boilers where you can bathe the little treasures and get them changed in a modicum of comfort. There's also (again, IIRC) bottle warming and sterilisation facilities, if you're bottle feeding/weaning.

A buggy with big wheels is good. We also had a backpack/papoose which is also good.

The one downside of very young kids at the festival is that you may not see your other half, except to swap childcare duties.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Hi all,

The festival as a whole is very family friendly, and if you meet other shipmates etc, they will help out. It is also a long day, full of lots of fun, but don't try to do too much. Have fun, find the things you want to do, and come back another year for the rest.

I have just heard that Grace Petrie is playing again. She was superb last year, and I am SO looking forward to hearing her again. GO AND HEAR HER.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

Thanks very much all for your replies!

Ratlet will be 4 months in August, and I must confess, we have chickened out of camping and booked a hotel, so it's really just the long days we need to think about. We are breastfeeding, so I need to think about chairs, cushions etc to keep us comfy. We have a pram with decent wheels, so that should be fine.

I am trying not to set my expectations too high with regard to how much we will actually do/see whilst we're there - whatever we do, it'll be a nice break away from our living room for a few days!

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:

Ratlet will be 4 months in August, and I must confess, we have chickened out of camping and booked a hotel, so it's really just the long days we need to think about. We are breastfeeding, so I need to think about chairs, cushions etc to keep us comfy. We have a pram with decent wheels, so that should be fine.

I am trying not to set my expectations too high with regard to how much we will actually do/see whilst we're there - whatever we do, it'll be a nice break away from our living room for a few days!

Just to say, one of ours has been recorded live, wailing in a John Bell talk, just before I grabbed her and headed for the exit.

Loud music, on the other hand, is excellent, as no one around you cares.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:

As well as the parent and child areas (which as a non-parent I'm not very acquainted with, sorry) there is the Access area - it's for everyone attending Greenbelt who needs some time out, as well as making sure those with accessibility needs are catered for. I don't know what exactly it will be like this year, and I can't guarantee cushions, but there will be somewhere quiet to sit down. I can't imagine breastfeeding would be an issue. I am volunteering there this year so do come and say hello anyway [Smile]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

If you take a cushion, there are few places where breastfeeding should be an issue. Even if you do very little of the activities, there should be plenty to join in with from a distance.

What hotel are you staying at? I am in the Holiday Inn Express (I don't do camping either). Any other shipmates there? Would be good to say hello.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

DT - thanks for the warning! Will sit in 'easy to escape' locations in any talks I attend!
JC - that sounds perfect - a quiet place to sit. See you there!
SC - we are in a little independent hotel, which I think is a few miles away. We're driving to and from the fest and have booked parking so hopefully that'll work out ok...

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we went to GB last year The Little Mister was 9 months old and I breastfed him anywhere and everywhere.

I have to admit that we also chickened out of camping but the feeding bit was easy.

We did buy some baby ear defenders which I found useful because I didn't have to worry about his sensitive ears and the loud music.

Unfortunately we are not going this year as we are expecting another baby a few weeks earlier. I am not sure I am that brave!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
When we went to GB last year The Little Mister was 9 months old and I breastfed him anywhere and everywhere.

I have to admit that we also chickened out of camping but the feeding bit was easy.

We did buy some baby ear defenders which I found useful because I didn't have to worry about his sensitive ears and the loud music.

Unfortunately we are not going this year as we are expecting another baby a few weeks earlier. I am not sure I am that brave!

Auntie Doris x

Thanks Auntie Doris, and all the best for your new arrival!!

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We wont make it this year (I went every year for 10 years but health issues made it really hard 2 years ago so last year was the first we missed! Next year hopefully).

AS for small people. We took Small person 1 at 5 months and I really think that's the easiest time. I just sat and curled up with her everywhere and anywhere. You can certainly feed everywhere, wherever you're sat/standing/whatever so I wouldn't worry about that. They're not old enough to tell you they're bored/really need to do x/need a wee/ food etc [Smile]

Following years were 1.5, 2.5 and fun - child running everywhere and playing but tends not to sit for anything, so we didn't go to talks but heard music from the edge and enjoyed all the childrens programming.

3.5 year old and small baby we found tough, but mainly due to my health, alongside lack of sleep!

When we went (obviously different venue) we found the tent (cant remember the name) with the baths and the comfy chairs a fantastic refuge. They open up early in the morning, so after strollign around with far too awake baby you can go in and they make you a cup of tea and you can sit bleary eyed with other parents of early risers. It was started by a dad who noticed lots of dads strolling around at silly-o-clock wtih babies!

The other thing we found fantastic was all the childrens drama, my then 3.5 year old loved it and I enjoyed experiencing it all with her. You have to check the programme though.

With first child I used a sling rather than a pushchair - and at baby stage (and one child) that's perfect and all you need really. Can feed walking along/ they can just sleep as you go in and out of venues etc. I borrowed a buggy as they got bigger and it was easier for them to nap in one/ be babysat in one/left to sleep in one at night...

I think GB is a fantastic place for babies, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
recklessrat
Shipmate
# 17243

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
We wont make it this year (I went every year for 10 years but health issues made it really hard 2 years ago so last year was the first we missed! Next year hopefully).

AS for small people. We took Small person 1 at 5 months and I really think that's the easiest time. I just sat and curled up with her everywhere and anywhere. You can certainly feed everywhere, wherever you're sat/standing/whatever so I wouldn't worry about that. They're not old enough to tell you they're bored/really need to do x/need a wee/ food etc [Smile]

Following years were 1.5, 2.5 and fun - child running everywhere and playing but tends not to sit for anything, so we didn't go to talks but heard music from the edge and enjoyed all the childrens programming.

3.5 year old and small baby we found tough, but mainly due to my health, alongside lack of sleep!

When we went (obviously different venue) we found the tent (cant remember the name) with the baths and the comfy chairs a fantastic refuge. They open up early in the morning, so after strollign around with far too awake baby you can go in and they make you a cup of tea and you can sit bleary eyed with other parents of early risers. It was started by a dad who noticed lots of dads strolling around at silly-o-clock wtih babies!

The other thing we found fantastic was all the childrens drama, my then 3.5 year old loved it and I enjoyed experiencing it all with her. You have to check the programme though.

With first child I used a sling rather than a pushchair - and at baby stage (and one child) that's perfect and all you need really. Can feed walking along/ they can just sleep as you go in and out of venues etc. I borrowed a buggy as they got bigger and it was easier for them to nap in one/ be babysat in one/left to sleep in one at night...

I think GB is a fantastic place for babies, I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time!

Thanks Emma Louise, really good to learn from your experiences. We have a baby carrier but I may have to ask Daddyrat to help out with that - Ratlet is super heavy already!
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Mrs Tor reminded me that taking a favourite bathtime toy makes sitting in a bath in a tent more familiar.

Also that you won't have disappearing toddler syndrome (which happened to one of my godsons who vanished in the middle of the campsite. He was retrieved by an eagle-eyed nun who thought the child too young to be on their own...)

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sudden vision of eagle-eyed nuns hovering over Greenbelt at a thousand feet or more watching for stray children!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Sudden vision of eagle-eyed nuns hovering over Greenbelt at a thousand feet or more watching for stray children!

Small child + sea of tents = labyrinthine search.

We were relatively quick off the mark, but we were very grateful to SuperNun.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love the idea of a host of hovering nuns!

I'll be volunteering in the usual worship venue, (not sure what we're calling ourselves this year) and if time at the Franciscan TSSF stall.

Wee bit unsure about some of the practicalities of being at the new site, though it does look a lovely place.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016