homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » D-Day

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: D-Day
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wanted to acknowledge the commemoration today of the Normandy landings 70 years ago.

My dear dad was there, a red beret parachuted down at Pegasus Bridge. He was one of those old soldiers who never spoke about it. We’ve found out some stuff since from a book about D-Day: to us it was like an adventure tale, to him it was when he shot other young lads, just the same as him.

He would have hated today. But I’m glad it’s not forgotten.

M.

Sorry, I meant to post this in All Saints - perhaps a friendly host would move it?

[ 06. June 2014, 10:59: Message edited by: M. ]

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think AS would be the better venue.

Firenze
Multi-purpose Host

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather landed on the beaches that day. We only know that from his military record. He never spoke of what happened.

One can barely imagine the horror of what happened that ended the lives of so many and marked forever the minds of those who survived.

To comrades fallen that day, alive today and those who have fallen asleep between, today we salute you. And we will never allow your sacrifice to be forgotten. [Votive]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone is going to Normandy and wants to catch up on D-Day then I recommend Arromanches. It's central to the invasion beaches and in addition to the remains of a Mulberry Harbour there is at least one excellent museum and the town itself is a pleasant place too.

I was especially touched yesterday when Radio 4Extra repeated programs from the 60th anniversary. Many of these featured veterans of the Normandy campaign and after almost every program there were announcements that major this or corporal that, had died since 2004. We will have lost all the living links with D-Day before much longer.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Macarius
Apprentice
# 15477

- Posted      Profile for Macarius   Email Macarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lest we forget. [Votive]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] We will remember them.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Badger Lady
Shipmate
# 13453

- Posted      Profile for Badger Lady   Email Badger Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] We will remember them.

My grandfather was evacuated from Dunkirk which he never spoke about. He had a role in the planning for D-day (he was an engineer) but on the Day itself remained safely on the UK side of Chanel.

My favourite story from the day has to be this one

Posts: 340 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Lady:
My favourite story from the day has to be this one

Way to go, Mr. Jordan! [Overused]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Badger lady:
quote:
safely on the UK side of Chanel.

Is the UK side the one with the blander perfume?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got home and just flicked the news on to catch a bit of the atmosphere . Surprised to find myself welling up a bit at the sight of a veteran who was moved to tears along with a French member of the public .

My partner's father ,(happily still with us) , was a RN coxswain for a landing craft delivering infantry to one of the beaches on June 6th 1944 .
Likewise he doesn't say an awful lot about it . One thing that seems to have stuck in his mind though was the sound of the infantry leader's voice psyching up the men moments before the ramp was dropped .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016