homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Visiting Britain (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Visiting Britain
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, and a host of others, am visiting Britain this summer. Local wisdom is solicited here!
So if you were going for a fancy dinner in the Knightsbridge/Westminster/Covent Garden region, English-French-Italian, what would you recommend?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't speak from recent personal experience, but maybe The Criterion would fit the bill. When you say "fancy dinner" you are looking for a biggish bill, right?

[ 11. June 2014, 20:48: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the idea is to find a truly excellent meal.

Another Q: I have to spend a night in Cheltenham. Suggestions?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Suggestion

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any number of lovely restaurants! What about Rules or Simpsons?

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.opentable.co.uk/ Have a look at this site - you might even find some deals if you eat early.
Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I, and a host of others, am visiting Britain this summer. Local wisdom is solicited here!
So if you were going for a fancy dinner in the Knightsbridge/Westminster/Covent Garden region, English-French-Italian, what would you recommend?

I'd suggest insuring someone for lots of money and then killing them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the risk of an echo, the choice is so great that it may be more prudent to pick an approximate budget per head first in order to narrow down your choices. You could go for anything between a Happy Meal and Michelin Star.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Guardian has a weekly restaurant review column. It doesn't confine itself to London, and I don't know whether it's easy to search through it. But here's the link.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would concur that your budget might end up a limiting factor. You can pay £100 a head, plus drinks. If you are not expecting a four-figure bill, it could come as a shock.

If you want very posh, you could try one of the hotels : Alaine Ducasse for example. Of course, for these, you might need to book. And again, for the taster menu at £125 a head, and wine at £10 a glass, you could easily hit £200 a head.

But you will have a superb meal.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And remember that no matter how much you paid in American dollars for pound sterling, one pound = one dollar in purchasing power.

Keep reciting that mantra and you won't die of apoplexy.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be worth looking at the restaurant reviews in something like the London Evening Standard; we once discovered a wonderful place in Chelsea that way.

It turned out to be owned by someone who D. had been at primary school with, and whose mother had worked with D's mother. We were welcomed as if we were old friends, and had a seriously long, delicious and boozy lunch.

But, as the Alethiophile said, you'll be absolutely spoilt for choice in London, and the sky's the limit for prices, so setting an approximate budget wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've just noticed Covent Garden is one of your preferred destinations, and it's absolutely crawling with splendid eateries, some of which are very reasonable indeed.

If you want a "British" experience, Porters English Restaurant is a favourite of ours, and not at all badly priced by London standards. Their fisherman's pie is to die for, and they do a wonderful range of old-fashioned British puddings.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only ever had bad experiences at Porter's, but I concede I seem to be in the minority (I suppose it's more accurate to to say I've had 2 bad experiences there and didn't want to try again).

I agree with those upthread, it's not difficult to spend £100 a head plus.

M.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cliche it may be, but The Ivy is very good.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know anything about food, but I read that the Chiltern Firehouse in Marylebone is currently the most achingly trendy place to eat in London:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/10897476/Whats-all-the-fuss-about-the-Chiltern-Firehouse.html

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mind you, it looks from that article that if you're not the sort of person behind whom the Almighty has to walk a couple of paces, you haven't got a mission of getting in. And I don't know about you, but if I found Tony Blair or Simon Cowell at the next table it'd put me off my food ...

[Devil]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I will pass this wisdom on. I am coming for the World Science Fiction Convention in August, so you may imagine that my friends and associates are ... varied.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
I've only ever had bad experiences at Porter's, but I concede I seem to be in the minority (I suppose it's more accurate to to say I've had 2 bad experiences there and didn't want to try again).

What a pity - the menu looks delicious. Was it the service or was the food rubbish?
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! I was about to ask you whether con food wasn't good enough... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely someone can recommend a Klingon eaterie?

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 604 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Ariel, I just didn't have very good food - tough meat etc. It was a few years ago now but I've never been inclined to go back. As I said, I seem to be in a minority - most people rave about it. I probably just struck unlucky.

M.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
M

No, you're not alone.

A family friend loved Porter's and always booked to go there for celebrations. And everytime I wondered if it was just me and my other half that didn't get it... until one day a group of us were early and we discovered that the ff was the only person who enjoyed the food there, the rest of us were underwhelmed.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is a theory (and if you did not know we were SF writers you would know it now) that all SF conventions are the same SF conventions, connected at the back by a tesseract or something. all the panels, all the hallways, all the meeting rooms, all the food -- they are familiar. (Diana Wynn Jones uses this as a basis for one of her novels.)

Certainly you see all the same people there, talking or writing about thins that are oddly familiar. That guy, dragging a trilogy behind him the way Marley dragged his chains. That woman, wearing a fantasy series like the leaden cloaks in the Inferno. Oh, and great heavens, the costumes. (This year a friend has roped me in. Because of my ethnicity, I am tapped to be Mrs. Kim Jong Un. I will wear high heels and a designer-ish dress; he is going to wear a pseud- NK Army uniform. Must see if I can find a foolish hat.)

The cure for this syndrome is to get out. To see London, or Tucson, or Melbourne. Luckily I am traveling with my husband, who has never been to England before.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Visiting London is not visiting England. London's different; the feel of the place is as different to the rest of the country as to be like a foreign country. It's hard to explain. I can cope with occasional visits but I always feel like a naive tourist from far shores.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get your geek on ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Visiting London is not visiting England. London's different; the feel of the place is as different to the rest of the country as to be like a foreign country. It's hard to explain. I can cope with occasional visits but I always feel like a naive tourist from far shores.

You know I agree with you about London, but give the lass a break will ye. She is going out of London as far as Cheltenham (third post on this thread). I know still very southern England but last I checked London had not quite expanded that far yet.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Restaurants: you're spoilt for choice as others have said. Most important thing is find a decent pub for beforehand and afters!

One of the very best in London (IMNSHO) is The Harp in Covent Garden, just off Trafalgar Square. It's pretty busy, but the beer is fantastic, usually around ten different ales to choose from, staff are great and always a good atmosphere.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Friends have also lured us further, on a expedition to the Lake District. I am writing a novel, so this will be good. I should say that aside from London I have been to other places in the UK, but they all blur into a touristy mash. Stonehenge, Cambridge, Stratford on Avon. That kind of thing. I have never seen the real country.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lake District is wonderful, but ... it's walking country, you only really see it getting out of the bus and/or car and walking or cycling into the hills and mountains. Check a map and see how few roads run through that region and then think how much you'll see from a tour bus or car, on what will be a very crowded road or car park in August, because it's on the "must see" list for the UK.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This isn't a bad option if you want to do the Lake District car free.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

You know I agree with you about London, but give the lass a break will ye. She is going out of London as far as Cheltenham (third post on this thread). I know still very southern England but last I checked London had not quite expanded that far yet.

Jengie

Heh. Can't be expected to remember everything I read.

I can just imagine London expanding to Cheltenham. You can hear the cabbies sighing now: "Nah, carn't go West of Reading. Won't get fare back, yer see?"

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

The American instinct, needing to travel from Cheltenham to the Lake District, is to rent a car. Is this folly? Perhaps I should take a train?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
The American instinct, needing to travel from Cheltenham to the Lake District, is to rent a car. Is this folly? Perhaps I should take a train?

Train will only take you as far as Windermere; the Cumbrian Coast line is extremely slow and the stations there are also quite distant from the mountains. Your instinct is probably correct, but the M5 and M6 can be very, very, long car parks at weekends in summer. It would take a good 4 hours, traffic permitting.

[ 16. June 2014, 15:45: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want cheap and cheerful food at very low cost (for London), you could try The Stockpot. There's one on the King's Road in Chelsea, and another on Old Compton Street in Soho. There used to be another just off Leicester Square, but I think it's gone now. The menu is resolutely English, with just a hint of bohemianism. Nobody could ever call it fine dining, but it's fun. I've eaten at the Leicester Square and Old Compton St branches, and never had a bad meal.

I can also second iamchristianhearmeroar's suggestion of The Harp.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to The Stockpot years ago and loved it - its prices were ludicrously low for London. I'm delighted that it is still there, especially on such a busy and expensive road. Is it still under the same ownership?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I will certainly keep my eye out for one. Cheap is good. This is going to be one spendy trip.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
This isn't a bad option if you want to do the Lake District car free.

And I would particularly commend the Cross Lakes Experience for giving you some variety and 'culture'.

Also, if you're in that area, a 30-40 min walk from the heart of Bowness will take you to the crowd-free top of Brantfell with great views of the lake below and a large part of the southern Lake District. It's not a centre for the dedicated walker (try Ambleside for that) but it has activities for a range of abilities including those walking with frames or pushing buggies.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So long as you don't have too much luggage, a fun way to get around the Lake District by public transport is to arrive at Windermere by train, walk a mile down the hill to Bowness and then take the boat to various points around the lake.

And there's always the buses.

The drive from Cheltenham to the Lakes would be quite a hard slog IMHO

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might be easier to get the train to Windermere or Lancaster and drive from there to save you the motorways. The roads in the Lake District can be very windy and narrow though! The lakes can be very busy in the summer, but the coast is quieter and also beautiful (and the coast line may be slow but you get great views on a sunny day)

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Western Fells are a LOT quieter than the Windermere to Grasmere corridor. There is [or was] a super bookshop in Hawkshead - still a bit touristy but...

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
If you want cheap and cheerful food at very low cost (for London), you could try The Stockpot. There's one on the King's Road in Chelsea, and another on Old Compton Street in Soho. There used to be another just off Leicester Square, but I think it's gone now. The menu is resolutely English, with just a hint of bohemianism. Nobody could ever call it fine dining, but it's fun. I've eaten at the Leicester Square and Old Compton St branches, and never had a bad meal.

I can also second iamchristianhearmeroar's suggestion of The Harp.

Yes to both. Disappointed to see that the Panton St (I think) Stockpot had gone last time I was in London but other branches are certainly worth going to because (a) cheap and (b) very English of a particular period- the 1950s/60s when 'continental' influences were just about starting to creep in.
Is the Harp's food still basically very good sausages?

[ 17. June 2014, 08:55: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the website for the Kings Rd Stockpot (can't find one for Old Compton St): have a look at the menu and you'll see that it is both trad and eye-wateringly cheap.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the 80s there were several Pots in the Earls Court area ~ they were cheap enough for us to eat in as students. I didn't find the Panton Street one until much later.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Here's the website for the Kings Rd Stockpot ...

Crikey - what a nostalgia-fest, and fairly nostalgic prices too! [Big Grin]

eta: Our favourite (relatively) cheap eaterie in the UK is Cafe Rouge, which is unashamedly French bistro in style, but as we really have nothing like that here in St. John's, it's always a treat.

[ 17. June 2014, 14:54: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Is the Harp's food still basically very good sausages?

Pretty much, I think. I was there a couple of months back and didn't see anything other than sausages on offer. Not that I was paying particularly close attention - I was there for the beer.

Ah well, maybe I need to do a quick fact-finding mission to double check. Singing in a concert at St Martin in the Fields this Friday so that would be a perfect opportunity!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Then there is posh trad British food - only place to have marketed itself by promoting squirrel suet pudding. Will definitely offer food you can't cook yourself or get elsewhere.

Set restaurant menu + cocktail is £25, food is generally v good.

But they also have good stuff on the bar menu at £13 - well worth a look.

[ 17. June 2014, 17:23: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Thank you so much. I am printing all this stuff out, for future reference. (I plan to bring my Ipad, but who knows about connectivity.)

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(I plan to bring my Ipad, but who knows about connectivity.)

I've just come back from a few days away in the south of England: both sets of people we stayed with had it; the hotel we stayed at; the cafe where I had lunch - even a passing double-decker bus advertised on-board wifi.

In rural areas I would expect it (and have found it) to be equally widespread, since so many business in the area of hospitality and tourism depend on online bookings/recommendations.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Mind, using 3g would come with roaming charges. Many places have free wifi, but IME the 3G signal is quite weak and intermittent. Indeed, I know population centres (yes, Staveley, Derbyshire, I am thinking of you) where there's not enough packet data signal to send a simple text email.

--------------------

Edith
Shipmate
# 16978

- Posted      Profile for Edith     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Absolutely the best food you will ever eat is to be found at The Sportsman in Seasalter in Kent. Unprepossessing on the outside it has the most imaginative superb food at a reasonable price to be found anywhere. About an hour and a quarter from SE London by car.

--------------------
Edith

Posts: 256 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016