homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Feels like losing a friend: Robin Williams

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Feels like losing a friend: Robin Williams
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not much of a movie buff, but the death of so wonderful an actor leaves me profoundly saddened.

RIP, buddy.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP [Votive] [Tear]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nano, nano. [Votive]
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm shattered, too. So many great moments; such a great loss.

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O Captain! My Captain!

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May his memory be eternal. What a talent.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is so sad when someone who has brought so much joy to so many loses their joy. Adiction sucks.

[Tear] RIP

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Desperately sad [Frown] RIP Robin.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the news as it came in last night and saw the devastation expressed by so many comedians on Twitter as they saw the news. So many of the comments talked about his humanity, his honesty about addictions, his groundedness, his need to perform and those amazing films. Robin Williams is so much a part of everyone's lives through his films.

Anyone else tried explaining Mork and Mindy to their children this morning?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A genuinely sad loss [Frown]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems I was just the right age to follow Robin Williams: I can do an Orkian handshake, he freaked me out in The World According to Garp, made me launch and cry in Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society. He was a piece of my adolescence.

I will miss him.

Nanoo nanoo Robin Williams.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just found out - how sad. One of my favourite films of his is The Fisher King.

RIP, Robin [Votive]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Genie, I wish you free.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So very, very sad. [Votive]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shazbot.

A tragic loss [Votive]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't really wrap my mind around this. [Votive]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a shocking piece of news to awake to this morning.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's hard to explain why this saddens me quite so much. But it does. [Frown]

This tweet: Genie, you're free nearly made me cry.

[Votive]

--------------------
All I know is that you came and made beauty from my mess.

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was absolutely gutted. It did feel exactly like losing a friend.

Time for Smokey Robinson I think. The private cost of being publicly hilarious seems, far too often, to be far too high.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed the Mork and Mindy years, but he was superb in Good Morning Vietnam (and I don't think anyone else could have played that role so well), Mrs Doubtfire, and Dead Poets Society. I know that DPS is a bit nerdy to like, but it was a brilliant film, if you ignore trying to find metanarratives etc.

Such a good actor, who could bring comedy and engagement to a role. So sad that he could not fight the demons any more.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Captain, my captain...

Seizing the day.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked in an infant toddler room today. In my (toddler)room two kids kept crying for their mommies, and in the infant room two kids had colic and kept shrieking nonstop all day. It seemed eerily appropriate after reading the news this morning.

But now I am going to bed.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one really hurt.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed. Sadness.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For whatever reason this has troubled me more than the death of any other actor or celebrity in recent memory. My mind almost rejects it, like I keep thinking he's gonna pop back into the headlines with a big grin saying "Gotcha!"

I can't believe he's gone. Memory eternal. [Votive]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got to watch Robin Williams work when one of his movies spent 8 days filming at the church where I work. It wasn't a good movie, but he was amazing -- spent the entire time on, entertaining everyone. And he was a really nice guy, too.

[Votive]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a privilege, RuthW! A memory to cherish.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I got to watch Robin Williams work when one of his movies spent 8 days filming at the church where I work. It wasn't a good movie, but he was amazing -- spent the entire time on, entertaining everyone. And he was a really nice guy, too.

[Votive]

A lot of comments have made that same point - he seems to have always been nice when on show, though I guess his family saw differently when he was on the drink, etc. a great guy and a great loss.

The phrase that has kept coming to mind since I heard the news, with 'Goooooooooooooooooood morning Vietnam!', is
quote:
This will not look good on my résumé!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

I've been imagining him reuniting with his buddy, christopher Reeve. Trash talking, joking, etc.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fuff
Apprentice
# 14655

- Posted      Profile for Fuff   Email Fuff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 22 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

This is a happy- making idea.

Couple notes: ordinarily I would think sniffing at the idea of memorializing a " nineteenth century nobody" a little harsh, but in reading up on Waldo, he does indeed seem like a pretty humdrum stereotypical Eastern money guy of the type that rolled into Northern California in droves during the Gold Rush and distinguished themselves by buying up land, putting other people to work on building stuff, and slapping their name on it. (See: Brisbane, Baden, Burlingame, Daly, etc.) No disrespect to Mr. Waldo, it just seems like his main legacy is his name. ( which will remain on the Waldo Grade, after all. )

The Waldo Tunnel, as mentioned in the article, does indeed seem to be a center of meteorilogical weirdness-- due to the meticulously compartmentalized microclimates in the Bay Area, very regularly the northbound entrance of the Waldo Tunnel-- the one decorated with a rainbow-- delivers travelers straight from a bank of thick fog to impossibly clear skies, like the Marin County customs bureau restricts the fog at the county line, or something.

The petition makes the argument that the weather- changing reputation of the tunnel well reflects the effects of Williams's talent and generous spirit, and plus the iconic rainbow arch coincidentally pays tribute to "Mork's" trademark suspenders. I think it is a wonderful idea, and sincerely hope this goes through.

[ 25. August 2014, 22:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't quite believe that I have only just remembered this [Hot and Hormonal] , but I have remembered the episode of Homicide, in which Robin Williams made a guest appearance as a man visiting Baltimore with his family when his wife was killed. That was a damn fine episode.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016