homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 12 Days of Zilchmas

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 12 Days of Zilchmas
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, you read it right.

This year we're turning the tables and doing a 12-day special on all those atheistic novelties out there.

Time to dig out those lamentable but highly entertaining gifts for the Godless.

We've only just thought of this angle so we're putting it all together at breakneck speed. Your offerings, please as soon as possible. A namecheck guaranteed for those that make the list.

[Cool]

[ 13. December 2013, 13:50: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, in the spirit of Chris... I mean kicking it off, try this.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do they have to be explicitly aimed at atheists? (Buy your Dawkins Dongle here!)

Or do they just not have to mention God - in which case the Innovations catalogue lies before you?

Or do they have to be such a waste of molecules that they lead inevitably to the conclusion that 'design' and 'intelligent' are meaningless along with the rest of the universe?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've flagged this up in Heaven as well in the hope of widening the suggestion pool.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Tubbs.

Firenze, throw anything in that even touches on the atheistic thing. Of course, the more bizarre, the better.

We are thinking, for example, of one item being the empty chair which Dawkins didn't sit on when invited to a debate in Oxford last year. He refused to attend. The chair is destined to become a relic, surely.

Think through any angles for the description as well.

[Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew I could depend on Cafe Press: a fun seasonal tee-shirt.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It might not be Atheist per se, but you'd have a little difficulty marketing it as even vaguely Christian.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zazzle is pretty good, too.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Mousepad from Zazzle

--------------------
Ann

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the Creationist in your life.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

How about a handsome bench?

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Some great ones! Keep 'em coming. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Stocking stuffer.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Stocking stuffer.

...and the stocking.

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about this one?

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Red Molotov T-shirts are always good for a laugh.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Atheistmas tree ornaments. The perfect gift for the man who has nothing that's not part of the spacetime continuum.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Merry Solstice.
Melisande
Shipmate
# 4177

- Posted      Profile for Melisande   Email Melisande   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nom.

--------------------
The door itself makes no promises.
It is only a door.
-- Adrienne Rich

Posts: 302 | From: The western Main Line | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tired of playing God? Try playing with gods instead! And when you're done and wish to express your will to power by bringing about the twilight of the idols, you can do it in style.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas cards from the British Humanist Association.

If I actually sent cards, I'd send these. The calligraphic Christmas/Saturnalia one is great!!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

I quite like this card myself.

--------------------
Ann

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You should definitely have this.

Maybe
this .

And of course, a car sticker.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some more xmas cards , I particularly like - axial tilt is the reason for the season.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Read my footprints.

Can you point us to the page with the sales pitch, Firenze?

[ 15. December 2013, 11:07: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Contains real baby.
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Knew you wouldn't let us down. Some great finds. [Smile]

We're putting the final list together tomorrow (Monday) so fire your last offerings here ASAP.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Wrapping paper, specifically the "Have a satisfactory non-denominational capitalist wintertime gift giving season" wrapping paper.

[Eta, mustn't forget the Festivus pole .]

[ 15. December 2013, 19:30: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I presume you know about the Brian Cox / Robin Ince shows? Christmas Compendium of Reason and Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Read my footprints.

Can you point us to the page with the sales pitch, Firenze?

It from this German shoe company.
Ann

Curious
# 94

Actually, there's nothing Christmassy about this - reminiscent of this.

(As I was driving to see my daughter, there was a Lapland UK between Bracknell and Ascot - fortunately, my children are too old to find out if this is any better.)

--------------------
Ann

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, slipping these in under the wire:
Because, in the end, we all just want to be loved.
If you want to celebrate the birth of your favorite concussed calculus-developing Arian, here's your shirt
And, for those who like their religions disguised as jokes (or jokes disguised as religions), we have appropriately inappropriate Discordian bumper stickers, membership in the Church of the SubGenius, or the ever-elegant Invisible Pink Unicorn Car Plaque, offering of ham and pineapple pizza not included.
Of course, for the sartorially-minded unbeliever who still insists on wearing their Sunday best, you can wear your ever elegant IPU necklace with your lovely noodly appendage earrings. Whoever said the godless can't enjoy the finer things in "the only life you get?"

[ 16. December 2013, 05:54: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if I'm still I'm time, but I quite like this fluffy Friedrich Nietzche.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Thanks for recent contribs. Not too late but the 12 are being put together today.

[Cool]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm probably past the deadline, but you might just enjoy this.

Want to compete with those garish yard displays in your neighborhood? In Chicago's Daley Plaza, where we have a traditional Nativity scene and a menorah, a group of atheists have erected a big red "A."

(Frankly, it's a little too Hester Prynne for my tastes.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
It might not be Atheist per se, but you'd have a little difficulty marketing it as even vaguely Christian.

One of my all time favorites!

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see you here, Campbellite!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

We're live!

Thanks to all for contributions (espesh the redoutable Doublethink for no less than three offerings [Yipee] )

----

For immediate release

ANNOUNCING SHIP OF FOOLS' FIRST-EVER 12 DAYS OF ZILCHMAS

(LONDON -- 18.12.13) -- UNABLE to beat us, they've finally joined us - the godless are having themselves a kitschy little Christmas.

And the very best seasonal gifts with a decidedly secular focus, can be found at shipoffools.com's brand new 12 Days of Zilchmas.

'When it comes to tasteless Yuletide tat, the church has traditionally cornered the market,' said Simon Jenkins, editor of the iconoclastic Christian website. 'From Virgin Mary fridge magnets to musical weeping Santas, God botherers have blazed a tacky trail. This year, all that has changed. You won't need to ask "What Would Dawkins Buy?" after you've grabbed these goodies.'

Gifts include the Friedrich Nietzsche finger puppet, a Santa-denying ipad cover, a science-versus-religion mousemat, even shoes for the budding atheistic baby.

'For years we have run the 12 Days of Kitschmas, celebrating those surely-not religious gifts for the sanctified stocking,' said Steve Goddard, co-editor of shipoffools.com. 'This year the secularists have got in on the act - and, disturbingly, they're beginning to match us tat-for-tat.'

(ends)

[ 18. December 2013, 09:25: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
We're live!

The Festivus Pole image doesn't seem to be working for me. Is it a problem at my end, or yours?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
We're live!

The Festivus Pole image doesn't seem to be working for me. Is it a problem at my end, or yours?
Working OK here. Anyone else have Marvin's problem?

--------------------

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Working fine even with the big snowstorm in Canada.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't seeing the image at home this morning (noticing the front page before AM announced it being live here), and it's also not loading at work.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

OK on iPad (in UK), both now and early this morning (c 7.30)
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope it will get some media attention! (But shouldn't it be "the godless are having themselves a kitschy little Xmas"? [Biased] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now I see the pole. With the TV set borrowed from the local museum. I almost said "TV set that last saw service on the Ark", but it looks too real to be part of the furniture of a mythical boat. And, too antique to have been on any virtual reality vessel either.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Exudes a small cloud of xmas spiced smugness.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Well, in the spirit of Chris... I mean kicking it off, try this.

For illiterate athEIsts only, presumably. Not very good for the brand, I'd have thought...

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too late for consideration, but there are some interesting t-shirts here,

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016