homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Location, Location. Location

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Location, Location. Location
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Suggestion.

I often don't know, and can't guess from cryptic location description, where people are posting from.

This is frustrating and can often lead to basic misunderstanding of language and posts.

I'm not asking for town, county or state, just US, Canada, UK/Ireland, Australasia, elsewhere (eg sub-Saharan Africa, western mainland Europe etc).

This would make it so much easier to understand language used and context without having to guess and get it wrong, and possibly offend.

Some people may not wish to reveal that they are Somewhere in the States, or whatever. Fair enough. But most of us could safely reveal this info.

I'm in the UK.

Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's entirely down to the individual what they put as tenor location. We have no plans to make any official ruling about this.

Spike
SoF Admin

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
I'm in the UK.

You haven't put that in your location.
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Francophile:
I'm in the UK.

You haven't put that in your location.
Should be there now.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
It's entirely down to the individual what they put as tenor location. We have no plans to make any official ruling about this.

Spike
SoF Admin

"Tenor" makes a lot of sense here - think of locums tenens* for example, apart from holding the melody.

*holding the position

[ 21. January 2014, 19:55: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Spike
SoF Admin

"Tenor" makes a lot of sense here - think of locums tenens* for example, apart from holding the melody.

*holding the position

Bloody bollocking auto correct. I must learn to check extremely carefully before sending.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The tenor location is right next to the basses, close to the door that leads to the bar.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Bloody bollocking auto correct. I must learn to check extremely carefully before sending.

[Big Grin]
Been there, done that. iPad? Thing has a mind of its own, and a very peculiar one sometimes.

[My location was just Norfolk for years, then somebody asked me about churches in this Norfolk. Never thought of that ..]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Much as I'm interested to see where people come from, there have been some very creative entries in the "From" field, such as "me to you", "as little as £4.99 a month" and "Page 28".

[Big Grin]

For myself, it didn't occur to me to put anything other than my geographical location, but I can understand that this isn't information that everyone wants to make public.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was one of these discussions made me make my location more opaque. Lots of very good reasons for not saying where you are exactly on line.

eta s

[ 22. January 2014, 04:15: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine is totally accurate. If you can't fly there, just take the train from Platform 9¾.

(If I'm commenting on local weather, our crazy politics, etc., I usually mention that I'm in the Phoenix area of Arizona.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Spike
SoF Admin

*holding the position

Preview Post is your friend [Big Grin]

[ 22. January 2014, 05:36: Message edited by: Smudgie ]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
It was one of these discussions made me make my location more opaque. Lots of very good reasons for not saying where you are exactly on line.

eta s

After the last thread such as this, I noticed some changed their location more for [Devil] than [Paranoid]

Some have good reason to be as anonymous as practical. Don't quite understand why some get worked up about it.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Some have good reason to be as anonymous as practical. Don't quite understand why some get worked up about it.

Yup. That was Spike's point, made even before "bloody bollocking autocorrect" had its wicked way with his sentence. [Do like that phrase BTW; added to the "useful" bank]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Bloody bollocking auto correct

I guess auto correct doesn't have a mind of its own or it would have changed this to "useful, perfect auto correct"

Back to the OP, in general there could be a danger that interpreting a person's comments in the context of their location (or accent, gender, sexual orientation etc etc) brings the danger of reading more into the text than is actually there.

Besides, what's to prevent someone from saying they are from Mars whereas they are, in fact, from Venus?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It isn't just a matter of pretending to be in one place while being in another. We have any number of Shipmates (and hosts) who live in countries (or even continents) other than that of their birth and upbringing. Location isn't helpful when we have, for example, a Dutchman in South America, an Englishman in India and Scots in Canada.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Silly Rogue,

Martians would never do such. Most Martians* are Luddites' this is why we only see stone faces and pyramids.
Venusians are quite possibly represented here, but are more likely too busy selling us shaving aides to post often.

*Our pugnacious example being the exception, of course.

Originally posted by The Rogue
quote:
Back to the OP, in general there could be a danger that interpreting a person's comments in the context of their location (or accent, gender, sexual orientation etc etc) brings the danger of reading more into the text than is actually there.
There are fewer absolutes in behaviour/experience based upon location than we seem to assume. Despite it being illustrated time and again.

[ 22. January 2014, 13:15: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Mine is totally accurate. If you can't fly there, just take the train from Platform 9¾.

[Big Grin]

Mine is accurate as well, if a bit obtuse. I'm indeed west of St. Paul, in Minneapolis. (What's the only thing St. Paul has that Minneapolis hasn't got? A city right next door... [Biased] )

[ 22. January 2014, 13:34: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... Location isn't helpful when we have, for example, a Dutchman in South America, an Englishman in India and Scots in Canada.

Or as my Better Half puts it, "Piglet isn't just Scottish, she's Orcadian". [Big Grin]

[ 22. January 2014, 15:07: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine is accurate! You just have to know which continent I am at the most northerly point of. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:
Mine is accurate! You just have to know which continent I am at the most northerly point of. [Big Grin]

Note to self: place names of the Antarctic Peninsula are generally horrifying. Deception, Disappointment, Exasperation, Erebus and Terror—and that's before you hit the Antarctic Circle, with a long way to go until Hope and Eternity.

You'd think people really didn't like it there.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surely, o Ariston, you mean the Arctic Circle?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Give him a winter in Alert and he'll learn the difference!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine too is accurate. I don't say what it is parallel too, of course.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
seeing as we moved house this year, I realise I'm going to have to change mine

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The accuracy of my location has varied. I don't actually look at it much, or the location of others.

But I'm fairly sure the present location was entered before I became a Hellhost, and I now delight in its double meaning.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My location is simultaneously accurate and meant as an insult to others. Win-win.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine is accurate.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As is mine BUT only if there is an east wind at London Heathrow - if it is a westerly it is necessary to turn left.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Barefoot Friar: I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?
Yes. There are 7 billion people on this world. The order billion is screwed?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this now a circus thread?

I am from where mine says, except that the proposal for this province was vetoed by some Ottawa types in 1905.

But I want to be from the 8th dimension and join the Hong Kong Cavaliers, the rockingist bunch of scientists to ever confront the evil aliens named John.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
quote:
Originally posted by Lucia:

Note to self: place names of the Antarctic Peninsula are generally horrifying. Deception, Disappointment, Exasperation, Erebus and Terror—and that's before you hit the Antarctic Circle, with a long way to go until Hope and Eternity.

You'd think people really didn't like it there.

well, shit. now you said that I really have to change mine.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am existentially correct.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That "From" don't make no sense here. You want to know where I's been or where I's at?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whereever you go you will always be from where you are from.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whereever you go you will always be from where you are from.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't stay where I was born. I know nobody there. My location says where I am posting from. Except when I'm away, when it's wrong. But if I were to list all my comings and goings to and from this location that got me back here now... frankly, I'd put you to sleep and sink the Ship with the bandwidth burden. It's big enough to be anonymous and small enough to be accurate, and you don't want the backstory. I have a love-hate relationship with the centre of the universe, but it has a Siren Call.
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Surely, o Ariston, you mean the Arctic Circle?

Nope. Mt. Hope and the Eternity Range are at the south end of the Antarctic Peninsula. Hypothermia induced hallucinations or bitterly cold irony, I'm guessing.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine's accurate if you know the terms of reference.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
See, now people have got me thinking where I'm 'from'.

True story, I've actually had pointed out to me the window of the bedroom in Belgium where I was most likely conceived. And no, it wasn't my parents who did the pointing out.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
And no, it wasn't my parents who did the pointing out.

(Jaw drop.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The quote "The City Carries On" in my location was the headline of one of the local newspapers after 9/11. I added it at the time because it seemed the right thing to do and I've never removed it.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My location is a Joe Jackson line, referring to his hometown of Portsmouth, which reminded me of my hometown.

Which I'd rather not disclose.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Is this now a circus thread?

Good point. The original question hs been answered, albeit with typos. Any further frivolity about your location can continue in Heaven or The Circus

--------------------

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016