homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Editing (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Editing
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is the editing time so short? At the moment it's about all of three seconds, or so it seems. Is it possible to make it longer? It would be cool, especially for those of us who usually notice typos only once we've pressed the reply button.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The time starts when your command to post is received by the board software. there will often be traffic jams in between.

Generally, the editing time is long enough for me to see a typo or other mistake, click edit, fix it, wait for the post to redisplay; see yet another mistake, click edit again, fix it and still make the deadline.
Sometimes, though, the delay between my computer and the SOF server makes this less likely to occur.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The editing time is set at 2 minutes I believe.

As a person who tends not to see typos until later, and who also tends to want additional thoughts/expand on previous ones (and who can get away with some of this stuff in Hell because I've got extra editoiral powers as a host [Snigger] ), I feel your pain.

However...

I now think there are good reasons for keeping it pretty short. One reason is the speed at which the Ship moves, particularly somewhere like Purgatory. Things can get very messy if someone can go back and change a post after someone else has replied.

A couple of encounters on other boards have demonstrated what can happen. I've had a bizarre multi-person conversation where someone decided to delete their posts. They announced they had done this. Then they deleted the announcement... after at least 3 people had commented on the announcement and criticised it in some way, thus preserving copies of the announcement. There were bits of dangling conversation left everywhere.

Also, when it comes to things like typos, use preview post. Seriously, it can help considerably. It's not exactly the same layout as a completed post, but it's much closer to it and it will help you spot things.

It also gives you a chance to refine your thoughts and check how they read. Which is how I used it right now.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it Spring already? When Shipmates thoughts turn to minutiae.

This is a decades-old issue, and the Adminisphere has confirmed for ourselves repeatedly that the 120-second interval works best for us. Fundamentally, the meta-message from it all is "Post in haste, repent at your leisure."

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always found other forums, which allow long-term editing, not to be problematic. It's pretty rare to find people 'cheating'.

Still, when in Rome, smile at all the pretty girls.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
inb4 some whiney 1/4 wit: it was a JOKE!

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even with a 2 minute edit window I have found myself recently replying to a post that had vanished by the time I'd hit "Add Reply" (and, no, it wasn't an essay length reply I'd written), or find I've replied to something only to later see an "ETA: ...." comment at the bottom that made my reply superfluous.

I'm not sure there's any need for anyone to have to edit their posts. If you're having a chat over a few beers in the pub and say something stupid you don't get the chance to back up and correct it. You just say "sorry, that was a bit dumb, what I meant was ..." and carry on. There's no reason why you can't do the same here.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
...and who can get away with some of this stuff in Hell because I've got extra editoiral powers as a host [Snigger]

Love it - that's hilairous!
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by My Imaginary Friend:
I wonder if anyone has made up a quote and pretended another user has written and then deleted it. Would the hosts be able to determine a fabricated post or recover an original?

I'm sure that has never happened! [Devil]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to answer "yes" to the determine if there was a deleted post, and "no" to being able to recover the original.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was under the impression the window had been extended to three minutes following the last H&A days. But it doesn't matter; I'm a member of a couple forums with zero editing ability and I get along just fine.

Preview post is your friend. Seriously.

Also, try writing your deep thoughts in a word processor (or even just the notebook/gedit/whatever) and then copy/paste the finished product. That gives you a better chance of spotting errors.

And try reading it once more before hitting "Add reply".

And then don't worry about it. If you spot something big, then you've got two (or three?) minutes to fix it, and if not the world won't end. Self-righteous prick's who mention it are too uptight anyway.

Edit #1
Edit #2
Edit #3 (and I have a slow computer and even slower internet connection)

[ 07. May 2014, 12:01: Message edited by: Barefoot Friar ]

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
I'm a member of a couple forums with zero editing ability and I get along just fine.

Once upon a time, editing wasn't allowed here either.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:

Preview post is your friend. Seriously.

Your friend, maybe, but the bitch doesn't like me.
Misspells, and even changes, words after I click post.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Preview Post is you're freind.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

- Posted      Profile for Trin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The short edit window was always a small part of the bite of this place compared with more boring forums.
Posts: 442 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the edit window as like a velvet mousetrap, har har har; yes, it bites, but it's smooth and you never want to leave.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The edit window is really there to say "you could have edited but didn't. So you must stand by what it posted. HA!"

IIRC, it was set as it is so that you could correct something that you noticed just as it posted, or after you read the posted entry, and you had screwed up the coding.

And shipmates are very tolerant if you say "Sorry, I mean to explain that ..." or whatever. It is not needed longer because the community accepts later clarifications.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can always choose edit, copy your text, delete the post and then have all the time in the world to consider what you should have written.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
listener
Apprentice
# 15770

- Posted      Profile for listener   Email listener   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sometimes do a draft of a post that's likely to be a typing challenge in Word, then copy and paste if I think I've finally got it right.
Posts: 31 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I'm going to answer "yes" to the determine if there was a deleted post, ....

I'm guessing that there is a gap in the post numbers when a post is deleted.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone makes a post and deletes it, the thread is bumped as it would be if the post had not been deleted.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
If someone makes a post and deletes it, the thread is bumped as it would be if the post had not been deleted.

Moo

Your post count increases as if you did not delete the posts as well, it seems.

—Ariston, artificial inflator of post counts

[ 09. May 2014, 03:14: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no gap in the post numbering, even after deleting a post (as this post shows). Unless perhaps it matters if oneself is the next poster (as here) vs. someone else? I'll delete another post after this one (which I posted after a deleted post), and then someone else can test that question.

[ 09. May 2014, 12:45: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gap-filling post so that enquiring minds can find out. [Biased]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Is this a post, which I see before me?
Come, let me preview -
I have it, yet have it not;
Are you not, beloved post, sensible
To feeling as to sight? Or are you but
a post of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the alcohol-enfeebled mind?

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The users post count (shown bottom left below each post) includes deleted posts. The displayed number won't increment immediately across all boards, so if you hunt out an earlier post then you can determine if that person has deleted a post. eg: Currently AR's post count (a few posts up) is 8519. Her post count on SOF RPG earlier currently shows 8516. Therefore, two posts are unaccounted for (ie: deleted).

The post number for each post on a thread increments. If you delete the last post on a thread the counter will just reuse that number. If, however, you delete a post where there are additional posts afterwards there will be a gap in the post number (as a challenge, where in the UBB practice thread have I deleted one of my own test posts?). I suspect that would be an usual occurance in normal circumstances, as it requires someone to actually post on the thread within the 2 minute window before the older post is deleted.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just the distraction I needed on a Friday afternoon [Hot and Hormonal] - is it the one after this one?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Obviously a challenge that was too easy. Where's the fun in that?

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Is this a post, which I see before me?
Come, let me preview -
I have it, yet have it not;
Are you not, beloved post, sensible
To feeling as to sight? Or are you but
a post of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the alcohol-enfeebled mind?

[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've said it before - the very short editing time is a big irritant for those of us with slow or troublesome internet. It's one reason I spend more time elsewhere these days. In most respects the mods on my usual one are very much poorer than hosts here but at least they don't control us down to the minute, just because they can.
Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A) The moderators have nothing to do with the editing time. It's all the Admins' fault.

B) It has nothing to do with control, and lots to do with accountability.

C) If you post garbage that needs lots of post-editing, that's valuable meta-information about you.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clint Boggis:
In most respects the mods on my usual one are very much poorer than hosts here but at least they don't control us down to the minute, just because they can.

I think your comment regarding the time allowed for editing and control by the hosts "just because they can" is not only inaccurate but also unfair.

Inaccurate for the confusion of host having that power.

And unfair because the editing time was originally longer, then a shipmate took advantage of it to change a post thereby making a farce of those replying. That was when it was cut to 2 minutes. It was not a grab for control by the powers that be (they have more entertaining ways of doing that - stick around for a Host's and Admin's Day. [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
And unfair because the editing time was originally longer

As has been pointed out before, it was originally nothing. The fact that y'all can edit at all is due to a relaxing of the policy.

Commandment 2 is most pertinent to this discussion. What is post editing if not a form of "taking them back"?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
I've said it before - the very short editing time is a big irritant for those of us with slow or troublesome internet. It's one reason I spend more time elsewhere these days. In most respects the mods on my usual one are very much poorer than hosts here but at least they don't control us down to the minute, just because they can.

Yes, most forums that I visit have an unlimited time for editing - I could go back and edit a post from two years ago. It doesn't seem to cause any trouble, as far as I can see.

I just assumed that the fierce edit time here is a result of Christian puritanism! It doesn't bother me all that much, as my usual problem is forgetting an extra paragraph, which I can stick in another post.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e fills his cup with internet tears and inhales the heady aroma. AHHHHHH. MOAR PLEEZE.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Pyx_e fills his cup with internet tears and inhales the heady aroma. AHHHHHH. MOAR PLEEZE.

Those with a specialty in one liners and Internet spelling don't really need an edit window, do they Pyx_e.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, most forums that I visit have an unlimited time for editing - I could go back and edit a post from two years ago. It doesn't seem to cause any trouble, as far as I can see.

Conversely, one forum I'm a member of allows unlimited editing, and it is frequently abused by at least one poster to remove any evidence of his previous comments when they turn out to be completely false, so that he can deny all knowledge of ever having said such a patently ridiculous thing. It's bloody frustrating, because unless someone else quoted him at the time there's absolutely no way of proving that he said it (and even then he's been known to claim that it was a made-up quotation).

On another forum I'm a member of, people often go back and "correct" their posts in light of what subsequent posts have said. Which just gets confusing as hell for anyone reading through the thread in one go and wondering why people are telling the OP they got it wrong when the OP clearly says the same thing they're saying.

Frankly, when the possibility of people doing that sort of shit is balanced against the possibility of people being able to fix posts that they buggered up because they didn't bother using Preview Post, I know which side of the fence I come down on.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If we had a facebook-style feature that allowed posters to see the previous versions of edited posts then I guess it might be different. But we don't. So I agree completely with everything Marvin just said.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Yeah, well I basically said the same thing 2 weeks ago. *sulk*

--------------------

jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This isn't that difficult, really.

"Preview post" is your friend. Seriously. As is composing long posts in Word/OpenOffice/whatever application you like that includes a spellchecker.

If you post something incorrect/offensive/just plain stupid - own up to it and move on. We've all done it. Such is life.

Having folks delete/change their posts when the debate swings against their position is a big irritant to everyone, no matter their internet speed or reliability.

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If our software could magically change at my whimsy, the only thing I would change is to give it the capability to show everyone a preview of their post after they click post and before they actually posted. In other words, we'd basically have to click post twice. That's how it works on another forum I sometimes post on, and I think it really lowers the number of edited posts. People, including me, just don't preview their posts when they should. On the other hand, nothing in the world could make me stop wanting to change the wording of my posts/emails/etc. after they are gone. A longer editing time wouldn't solve that unless you all agreed to reread my posts every time I improved them so that you'd see the 'real' meaning. [Biased]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Facebook allows endless edits - but also has your editing history available for each post.

I'm a member of a forum which does the same - and there are no problems at all.

I doubt if the old software here could cope with such histories 'tho.

No problem, I will continue previewing and still missing many glaring errors [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

C) If you post garbage that needs lots of post-editing, that's valuable meta-information about you.

Yes - in my case it's that I'm dyslexic.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Or multi-quoting, posting on an iPad, multitasking, rewriting...
Lots of reasons why even preview post doesn't always work. Or, rather, doesn't always achieve the intended result.
But these are our failings, not policy failings. No procedure is going to suit all people, all the time.
ISTM, the balance struck here is reasonable.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything that encourages care in posting is a Good Thing. Post hoc editing is of the Devil, and if our software was state of the art and enabled members to rewrite history (which, after all, is what unlimited editing is) I would resist it all I could.

I post enough hasty gibberish already and you wouldn't like it if I could post more of the same, then correct it after you have quoted me. Promise.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Yes - in my case it's that I'm dyslexic.

I think I'm not alone in thinking that your posts are eminently clear, and much additional editing would benefit only the most fervent pedant fetishists and sufferers of OCD.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
If our software could magically change at my whimsy, the only thing I would change is to give it the capability to show everyone a preview of their post after they click post and before they actually posted. In other words, we'd basically have to click post twice. That's how it works on another forum I sometimes post on, and I think it really lowers the number of edited posts. People, including me, just don't preview their posts when they should. On the other hand, nothing in the world could make me stop wanting to change the wording of my posts/emails/etc. after they are gone. A longer editing time wouldn't solve that unless you all agreed to reread my posts every time I improved them so that you'd see the 'real' meaning. [Biased]

IMDB and previously.tv work like this.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Anything that encourages care in posting is a Good Thing. Post hoc editing is of the Devil, and if our software was state of the art and enabled members to rewrite history (which, after all, is what unlimited editing is) I would resist it all I could.

For once, this isn't a software issue. We could allow unlimited editing perfectly easily if we wanted to, we just don't want to. [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there may be a maximum character length for posts as well - which is quite awkward.

Over on the Rape Culture thread in Purg, because it's all based around how the nature of feminism as a group changed over time due to historical infights and how it bisected with the real world, I had to split a very long post into 4 as some of the URL links I had to put in were being chopped - which in turn was causing problems with posting the content even though I filtered it twice for parentheses within URLs.

The only way I was able to submit it reliably was to split the piece into 4 posts as I think the links were being split or truncated in some way.

DS has an edit window of an hour, which allows an input buffer that may be shorter than the max post length to be catered for.

I inadvertently pissed off the admins over on Purg due to this technical issue bisecting with the short edit window...

Maybe some policy for where a long backstory needs to be told in order to then continue and cover other points?

Like with Feminism-when-viewed-like-the-church-universal with all the infighting and debates within the camp over 30 years then affecting the outside world...

Awkward thing if I had to bung it on a blog - someone may not necessarily go there.. even though it was all relevant...

Might be a case of longer edit windows or even a SHip Wiki in effect..

If there IS a max character length, this may need logic like a countdown in real time on the submission page - and then you'd need a long edit window.

Or allow people to annotate their posts "1 of x, 2 of x".

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
I inadvertently pissed off the admins over on Purg due to this technical issue bisecting with the short edit window...

I can't speak for the admins, but from my perspective this was not merely inadvertent. You deliberately made multiple posts after having been asked not to. Twice.

quote:
Maybe some policy for where a long backstory needs to be told in order to then continue and cover other points?
The most relevant policy already exists and is enshrined in the first part of Commandment 1 (emphasis mine):
quote:
Lively, intelligent discussion is what we're about.
Making massively long consecutive posts in which you are not interacting with other posters is not going to nurture lively, intelligent discussion.
quote:
Awkward thing if I had to bung it on a blog - someone may not necessarily go there.. even though it was all relevant...
Aside from any breaches of our rules, multiple posts of such length here are, in my view, much less likely to be read than an appropriately referenced link.

It's not enough to believe the content to be relevant. You have to abide by our Commandments and Guidelines and, if you are interested in interacting with others, present it in a way that entices them to read it and interact if they wish.

I'm not going to derail this thread any further. If you want to continue objecting to my ruling in Purgatory, to be extra clear, you need to start a dedicated thread in the Styx.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016