homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Cafe certificates...

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Cafe certificates...
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... really need to be sorted out. As I'm running latest Java and it's blocking it as an unsafe app - certificates are out of date.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is basically dead now.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take that back, I just made it work on an emulator on an ipad !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Used firefox virtual browser app if anyone wants to try that.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, and how can you get in on Windows 7 and FF29, please? Like Alex, I've been unable to access for months. Annoying.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, dunno about the quality of these but they might help: http://softadvice.informer.com/Java_Emulator_For_Pc_Windows_7.html

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where's the cafe thread that used to be in AS?

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EWhat with all the Heartseek nasties - it would more behoove Shop admins to get proper Verisign certificates again if they want to maintain it
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Confused]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

Basically, the current versions of Java reject the certificates as invalid. A new cert set woull be needed.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Alex. It would really help if this were sorted out.

I'm not on FaceBonk, nor am I planning to be. The Ship Cafe is one of very few online occasions where you can meet and interact live online with some fairly decent people - whom you may know from the Boards! It is very stimulating. Potentially.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So .... I shouldn't bother waiting patiently in the Cafe then? [Waterworks]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the AS Cafe thread got archived in the last spring clean - or the one before, the Cafe has been very under-used for a long time, shame really.

I'm sure AS hosts wouldn't mind if you started a new one. Though many people can't or won't (re: certificates) go there now.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You *might* get someone in, but the cafe has been dead for months (and I can't get in from my phone).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be possible to have a basic cafe that works, or use a free cafe service (if there is one)?

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't get the cafe up on my macbook. They are protecting my security. Miss chatting with everyone [Frown]

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mihg tchat in a café again if I can get it from my 'phone. And I'm due a new 'phone next month so I'll watch this space.

Cattyish, more mobile than in 2004.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is possible to access the Café by adding the site from which it is downloaded (http://dylan.ablette.net) to the Exception Site List in the Java Security Settings panel, but you are very strongly warned that this is a security risk. I am not enough of a techie to know what the nature of the risk is, or how much of a risk it is, so having tried it to see that it works, I have removed the site again.

Obviously the best solution would be for the certificates to be up to date.

(Incidentally for Mac users, once the Faverolle.jnlp file has downloaded, you have to open the Downloads folder and Ctrl-click (or right-click) the file to bring up a contextual menu and select 'Open' in order to get a dialog which enables you to bypass the security setting which prevents you opening software from unidentified developers. Obviously you need to be sure for yourself that any given piece of software is safe before you do that.)

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
It is possible to access the Café by adding the site from which it is downloaded (http://dylan.ablette.net) to the Exception Site List in the Java Security Settings panel

That works! I'm in the Cafe for the first time in years.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got straight in without having to download anything, or fiddle with any settings, but I haven't updated my software since the year dot.

Seems a bit empty in there.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The general advice on computer sites is not to run anything that requires Java because having Java on your computer is the biggest gateway for attacks and viruses. Which is why I don't run it on any computer now. When I had a spare laptop with no files or anything confidential ever used on it, I'd run the café, but that laptop is no longer working.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The general advice on computer sites is not to run anything that requires Java because having Java on your computer is the biggest gateway for attacks and viruses. Which is why I don't run it on any computer now. When I had a spare laptop with no files or anything confidential ever used on it, I'd run the café, but that laptop is no longer working.

Hmm - I'm not sure I'd agree with that - have you got any links?

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
Would it be possible to have a basic cafe that works, or use a free cafe service (if there is one)?

How about somebody setting up an IRC channel somewhere?

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Try Wikipedia on the Java issues. Or just googling Java security issues. Oracle has been sending out critical patch updates to fix things, and there's another lot due in the next few days, but the main criticism
quote:
has been directed at the programming language, and Oracle, due to an increase in malicious programs that revealed security vulnerabilities in the JVM, which were subsequently not properly addressed by Oracle in a timely manner.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016