homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Defining Deadhorsery

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Defining Deadhorsery
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More than once now, contributions which I have made in Purgatory regarding homosexuality and Christianity have been immediately relegated to DH.

As it happens , this is not an issue in which I am particularly interested, or in which I play any role outside the Ship, but I do get pissed off when, without any historical or theological justification, homosexual practice is automatically assumed to be normative from a Christian point of view, and very pissed off when opponents of this position, such as myself, are smeared as “homophobes”.

If the controversy over the morality and theology of homosexual practice is indeed DH, then why is one side of the debate tolerated but not the other?

Why not redirect overt or covert religious defences of homosexual practice to DH as well?

In Christendom at large, it could be argued that arguments opposing homosexual practice are commonplace and therefore boring and therefore sidlineable, but that is certainly not the position on the Ship, where support for homosexual practice is the established norm, and those who oppose it are the mavericks and dissidents.

Policy clarification, please.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that the tone of your post provides all the justification needed for having this kind of debate in Dead Horses. One of the Dead Horses guidelines says it is for
quote:
arguments which feature polarized, deeply entrenched positions, and where opposition is taken personally
Experience shows that the temperature of debate on this issue rises rapidly, and that this heat is not helpful on a relatively fast-moving and widely-read board like Purgatory. Sending the thread to Dead Horses is partly an attempt to lower the temperature somewhat and prevent the thread from going to Hell, where the level of debate will plummet. It is absolutely not an attempt to say that Ship opinion is uniform, that the Ship has a one-sided policy on the issue, or that the debate itself is not important.

[ 28. June 2014, 10:21: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The rule for DH topics is: 'If you want to discuss any aspect of those subjects, post your thread here. ' so if you think people are discussing DH subjects and the thread is not being moved to the correct board, then you need to link to examples of such discussions here, so hosts can see if stuff is being missed.

If it's just throwaway remarks then hosts are unlikely to move an entire thread for that, unless what's been said looks like it will cause a derail. Just looking at your post above, I can see language that would be likely to start a fight, so if that's your norm, it's not surprising hosts would consider moving it.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for double post - I've now found the thread I think sparked this and I think I'm correct in saying the Purgatory host warning was as much to Justinian as it was to you. Also apart from one word in a list by Leo which wouldn't be enough to move a thread, the DH derail doesn't seem to start until you start talking about 'homosexual practice' which elicits Justinian's reply about homophobia. You can't have it both ways. If you want to use terminology like 'homosexual practice' which those on the other side of the debate find loaded, you can't complain when other posters want to talk to you in terms of 'homophobia' which you find loaded, and then the matter becomes a DH derail which a Purg host will stop.

[ 28. June 2014, 12:52: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
If the controversy over the morality and theology of homosexual practice is indeed DH, then why is one side of the debate tolerated but not the other?

Why not redirect overt or covert religious defences of homosexual practice to DH as well?

As far as I'm aware, all discussion of homosexuality goes to DH.

If there is any perceived asymmetry, I imagine it would be due to the fact that it is possible to write as if homosexuality isn't a spiritual problem or moral issue at all, and gay people are just human beings with failings and aspirations like everyone else, without necessarily meaning to invite disagreement from the other side, whereas it's much more difficult to post something suggesting that the most important thing in someone else's life is an offense to God without at least being aware that this might be just a little bit controversial.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been said by other Hosts. The thread is about the possible death of evangelicalism. In accordance with our normal guideline, the sub topic of any aspect of homosexuality gets redirected to DH. Those are the Standing Orders to Hosts. Nothing to do with pro or anti views on homosexual behaviour.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kaplan Corday, I think there is a new thread in Hell that you might enjoy. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Kaplan Corday, I think there is a new thread in Hell that you might enjoy. [Cool]

Thank you, but I tend to avoid the mindless abuse in Hell on principle.

If you're into that sort of thing, by all means enjoy yourself.

Go nuts.

Knock yourself out.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are probably wiser than I. To each their own.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Mertseger

Faerie Bard
# 4534

- Posted      Profile for Mertseger   Author's homepage   Email Mertseger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Entirely your privilege to do so, of course, but I've always found the abuse in Hell to be surprisingly and wholly mindful. Usually beats out Purg for getting at the true underlying issues on many topics, IMO. It's always the first board I check for any meaningful discourse.

--------------------
Go and be who you are:
The Body of Christ,
The Goddess of Body,
The Manifest Song of Faerie.

Posts: 1765 | From: Oakland, CA, USA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
KC, if you want to ACTUALLY engage in the OP you have posted, you should try reading what people are saying, even if it is in Hell. You might discern the problem.

If all you want to do is to be self-righteous, then you will lose your case.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
KC, if you want to ACTUALLY engage in the OP you have posted, you should try reading what people are saying, even if it is in Hell. You might discern the problem.

If all you want to do is to be self-righteous, then you will lose your case.

You might have noticed thatI am ACTUALLY currently engaged in a long exchange of posts in DH.

In response to your challenge, I have looked at the thread in Hell, and found the exactly the same confused thinking as in DH, ie misuse of homophobia, false equation of opposition to homosexuality with racism, etc.

What "problem"? That I don't agree with the people I disagree with?

What is "self-righteous" about avoiding mere schoolyard name-calling when a robust substantive exchange can be conducted in Purgatory or DH?

Lose my case?

What on earth does that mean?

Are you seriously suggesting that I might persuade someone on the Ship to change their mind?

My "case", or rather the "case" of historic, credal, orthodox Christianity as regards this issue, was "lost" long ago.

I continue to state it because I happen to believe it is true, and I don't give a flying fuck about whether my "case" is ultimately won or lost.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
quote:

Entirely your privilege to do so, of course, but I've always found the abuse in Hell to be surprisingly and wholly mindful. Usually beats out Purg for getting at the true underlying issues on many topics, IMO. It's always the first board I check for any meaningful discourse.
I feel like the Hellhosts should put this little review on a plaque somewhere near the entrance.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mertseger:
quote:

Agreed. There are times when the ability to address the person as well as the issue draws the conversation forward. Abuse isn't requisite. Although it is often cathartic.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...which implies that the rest of the boards are all conducted in the style of some kind of ghastly mediaeval pavane. Angels on a pinhead, anybody?
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the place to propose that going by the experience of the last few months we could do with a couple more Dead Horses:

Hell - its existence, nature, who goes there, etc.
Divine Genocide - historicity, morality etc.

These seem to fit the bill in that they get thrashed to death, no-one gets anything other than angry with the other side over them, and no-one ever moves an inch.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd add a third - penal substitutionary atonement
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PSA gets my vote as well. It's a perennial all-heat-no-light battleground.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
...which implies that the rest of the boards are all conducted in the style of some kind of ghastly mediaeval pavane. Angels on a pinhead, anybody?

It all depends on the relative value you place on being nice to people compared to getting a point across. We differ in that.

To someone who really likes getting to the heart of something and is perfectly prepared to ruffle some feathers while doing it, the rest of the boards may very well feel like a pavane (*mental note: check whether pavanes are in fact mediaeval*). Whereas to someone who highly values civility in exchanges and doesn't think it's worth being rude to make a stronger point, Hell might be intolerably uncivil.

I've witnessed newbies who are appalled that a 'Christian website' allows Hell to exist, and newbies who are appalled at how many style-cramping rules we have in Hell.

To me, the very brilliance of the Ship is that it has created different spaces for different kinds of people. It gives us a greater range of people we might appeal to, compared to the average message board (even if the range is still not sufficient for absolutely everyone). It also enables different types of people in the Ship to naturally separate a bit, reducing the number of "you're behaving in the wrong way for the Ship" conversations. Around here the conversation is far more likely to be "you can behave that way over there".

[ 02. July 2014, 15:03: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My emphasis was intended to be on the word "implies", and was intended to be slightly ironic. I have no argument with your description of how the boards work, especially in your final paragraph, else I'd not have hung around (albeit mostly on the periphery) for so long!

Also, re:
quote:
*mental note: check whether pavanes are in fact mediaeval*
it's more of a renaissance thing I suspect. Mea maxima culpa [Frown]
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Meh. It wasn't meant as a criticism, more a piece of musical curiosity that entered my head. The first pavane I think of was written by Maurice Ravel in 1899 and I couldn't think whether I had recordings of any of the 'original' kind.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The first pavane I think of was written by Maurice Ravel in 1899 ...

Would that be Pavane for a Dead Horse?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

If the horse was owned by a girl who named her pony "Princess", then yes. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

[Killing me]

--------------------

Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
...which implies that the rest of the boards are all conducted in the style of some kind of ghastly mediaeval pavane.

More like a tarantella at times, but most of the time something like a barn dance in the village hall, with competent dancers taking it seriously, others just participating for fun, gatecrashers coming and going, fights being dealt with by security, drunks trying to play the band's instruments, couples' spats (with or without tears), someone trying to spike the punch, and a steady stream of girls going to the toilets together.
orfeo

# 13878

Kaplan, that gem just got put in the Quotes File.

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A practising Christian person, who is in a same sex relationship, posting about that relationship in the way we all refer to our lives, families, other halves etc is not having a debate and certainly not mounting a "covert religious defence of homosexual practice" any more than I am attacking them (or mounting "a covert defence of traditional marriage") by posting about my relationship with a person of the opposite sex.

The fact that you see someone talking about relationships or emotional issues as triggering a debate, and needing to defend a position, just because it's framed in the context of a same-sex relationship seems to me to be potentially quite hurtful to a person who is attracted to or in a relationship with someone of the same sex.

Am I misunderstanding?

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
[...] I've witnessed newbies who are appalled that a 'Christian website' allows Hell to exist, and newbies who are appalled at how many style-cramping rules we have in Hell. [...]

As a newbie (to posting, anyhow, including the nine circles), I find it a thoroughly orthodox slice of wickedness. Christianity is, after all, the religion that gave us the Doom painting.

[Devil]

As for DH, Erroneous Monk surely makes a compelling point: people don't want to debate their lives & loves at every opportunity, especially not if it gets heated. Shunting the culture wars off to a quarantine zone is pragmatism at its best.

If I understand right, Kaplan Corday doesn't even disagree, so long as the shunting is done on an equal-opportunity basis?

Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do most people spend their type of specific sections or do they access threads via the TAT?
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
Originally posted by Erroneous Monk:

The fact that you see someone talking about relationships or emotional issues as triggering a debate, and needing to defend a position, just because it's framed in the context of a same-sex relationship seems to me to be potentially quite hurtful to a person who is attracted to or in a relationship with someone of the same sex.

Am I misunderstanding?

Yes, I think so.

I have no interest in picking a quarrel over every reference to homosexuality on the Ship (or elsewhere), or in attacking people personally on the Ship over their homosexuality or homosexual relationships, and I don't think I have ever done that.

Nor do I object to people attempting to present reasoned theological defences of homosexual practice.

What I do respond to are irrational, dishonest and spiteful attacks ("homophobia", analogies with racism)on evangelicals, and members of other Christian traditions, who uphold the orthodox Christian position on homosexuality.

We are assured by Hosts upthread that both the attacks and the defences are impartially directed to DH.

[ 04. July 2014, 05:14: Message edited by: Kaplan Corday ]

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We are assured by Hosts upthread that both the attacks and the defences are impartially directed to DH.

That will continue to be the case. Any discussion of homosexuality belong in Dead Horses.

That includes statements like:
quote:

What I do respond to are irrational, dishonest and spiteful attacks ("homophobia", analogies with racism)on evangelicals, and members of other Christian traditions, who uphold the orthodox Christian position on homosexuality.

Though, particularly if you feel like naming names, Hell may also be appropriate.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Whether such comments are irrational, dishonest or spiteful is a matter of opinion. What you seem to be suggesting is that viewpoints identifiable with orthodox Christian positions should be let off lightly and not really held to account. Some Christians on the Ship may be prepared to allow you that, although it is clear that many are not.

Now Justinian is I believe an atheist. So am I, and certainly do not see this defence as grounds for a free pass. As far as I am concerned bigotry is something that quacks and waddles. And if your orthodox Christian position is quacking and waddling it will have the label of bigotry hung around its neck whether you like it or not, and regardless of the length of its religious pedigree. The object of the bigotry - whether it is race, or gender, or sexuality - or the best name to be applied to the phenomenon are both secondary issues.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
What you seem to be suggesting is that viewpoints identifiable with orthodox Christian positions should be let off lightly and not really held to account.

I have never suggested any such thing.

On a forum such as the Ship, it is perfectly legitimate to attack the orthodox Christian position from an atheist, liberal Christian, or any other viewpoint, and I have never claimed otherwise.

quote:
As far as I am concerned bigotry is something that quacks and waddles.
You are ducking the issue, Daffy.

Disagreement is not the same as bigotry.

I disagree with homosexual practice, but have never attacked homosexuals personally, and have clearly expressed my support for their rights in a pluralist society.

The real bigotry on the Ship in this area comes from those who dishonestly accuse anyone who disagrees with homosexuality as "homophobic", and irrationally equates that disagreement with racism.

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The point is that the historically orthodox position is homophobic - indeed it's deeply suspicious of human sexuality generally, seeing it as a dangerous beast to be controlled with the bit and bridle of marriage. Therefore, anyone taking it is being homophobic.

That's the way it looks to me, and the way it always will look to me

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Folks, you're rather wavering off the Styx point, which is that the decision to refer matters to Dead Horses has to do with the subject matter, not which 'side' of the debate is involved. It's not a decision based on merits of one position or another.

If you want to have a discussion about the merits of a theological position, I suggest you can go do that in Dead Horses.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016