homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Next Eighth Day experiment

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Next Eighth Day experiment
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The hosts of Verse Works, the current topic in the Eighth Day, have decided to close up shop on August 31. This means that we will be able to start a new experiment in the Eighth Day in about three weeks. Those wishing to submit a proposal should read the policies and procedures for Eighth Day topics.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I hope IngoB's proposal, Personal Prayer, comes next.

I'll miss the poetry - do we get a post-mortem on its successes and, if any, failures?

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking maybe one last party.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
Well I hope IngoB's proposal, Personal Prayer, comes next.

Proposals will be considered on a first come, first served basis. So the first proposal to be formally submitted will be the next experiment, provided that it meets the requirements and is approved by the admins.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just noting that there seems to be a lot of people expressing enthusiasm for various proposals-- just remember, he/ she who submits the first complete proposal gets dibsies!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The proposal for the personal prayer / spirituality / devotion board now has been submitted (by PM to RuthW).

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did think Ariel had already met the requirements in terms of an articulated proposal and the requisite number of potential Hosts.

Is it totally clear what constitutes a bid? Is it a declaration on this Board, or a PM to Ruth?

RuthW

# 13

For the moment, a submission can be made either on this board or in a PM to me.

Ariel's post didn't name hosts, and it also says the board intro is still being drafted, so I didn't take it as a complete submission.

RuthW

# 13

And I guess I should formally say that the prayer board submission has been duly received and is under Admin review.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I did think Ariel had already met the requirements in terms of an articulated proposal and the requisite number of potential Hosts.

Is it totally clear what constitutes a bid? Is it a declaration on this Board, or a PM to Ruth?

It wasn't entirely clear. I thought as the hosts had been named on the thread I didn't need to state them outright. Yes, the board intro is still being drafted but that's because I thought it would be better to have the other two look over it and one is currently away.
RuthW

# 13

Not your fault -- that was never spelled out. I've edited the submission guidelines to clarify a couple of things.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand where the first-come-first-served policy comes from (mainly a desire for neutrality, etc.), but I wonder if it best serves the board. I realize the prayer board is probably already taking its shape behind the scenes, so I wouldn't suggest shelving that, but I wonder if some more thought might be given to choosing its successor?

If more than one valid and admin-approved proposal comes in during the prayer board's time, how about having a poll in Styx for people to vote on which one should go next? Whatever attracts the most votes will probably be the idea most likely to generate traffic. This could either be a standard circus-style poll, or a thread where people vote 'out loud.' The latter would be a little more work (you'd have to count the votes manually), but might actually give a better suggestion to how many people would be interested in posting on something.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Hmmm, interesting idea. I'd like to know if other shipmates like this or would prefer the first-come, first-served method.

[ 03. September 2014, 21:53: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Hmmm, interesting idea. I'd like to know if other shipmates like this or would prefer the first-come, first-served method.

I expected an admins-pick-an-interesting-one policy, actually!
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given how quickly poetry came and went, and how little is really left, I suspect the choice should consider how much of a long term contribution to the Ship each experiment can make.

We could have a vote, but perhaps the experience of the admins will, especially as time goes on, be a better guide to the choice between several proposals.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting multiple boards is difficult - if the hosts had had no other commitments I think that might have lasted longer.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Given how quickly poetry came and went, and how little is really left, I suspect the choice should consider how much of a long term contribution to the Ship each experiment can make.

You could criticise a party for only lasting one evening. Verseworks was a board where composing a post could take several hours. It was fun but it was hard work. Other topics may take a different turn - slow build perhaps rather than fireworks. We shall see.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm. If the new Eighth Day topic isn't getting off to a rousing start, it might be because everyone except hosts and admins are locked out. I tried to reply on Kelly's "Lectio Divina" thread and was not allowed. I couldn't start a new thread either.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Erm. If the new Eighth Day topic isn't getting off to a rousing start, it might be because everyone except hosts and admins are locked out. I tried to reply on Kelly's "Lectio Divina" thread and was not allowed. I couldn't start a new thread either.

Same here!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too!

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I've done that right, you should now be able to post there.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
If I've done that right, you should now be able to post there.

Thanks, Alan! I think we might be jumping the gun a bit on RuthW, I hope she is OK with it.

Anyway: Woohoo!

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You could criticise a party for only lasting one evening. Verseworks was a board where composing a post could take several hours. It was fun but it was hard work. Other topics may take a different turn - slow build perhaps rather than fireworks. We shall see.
I don't think each 8th day board needs to make a lasting contribution. I expect it would be a rare one that did. I don't think I posted at all, but I enjoyed reading some of the stuff.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The process for the previous experiment included some instructional time for the Hosts first.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
quote:
quote:

I don't think each 8th day board needs to make a lasting contribution. I expect it would be a rare one that did. I don't think I posted at all, but I enjoyed reading some of the stuff.
I think some of y'all are putting too much pressure on yourselves to create something epic. The point of this whole thing is to experiment, play around, create together. Think of it as a pile of Legos. If it doesn't work, we take it apart and make something else.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I think we might be jumping the gun a bit on RuthW, I hope she is OK with it.

Of course!

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016