homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Writers' Bleak (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Writers' Bleak
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not doing it this year -- I'm doing final (at least I hope they're final) revisions on my current book, hoping to get it to the publisher before the end of November (having told them early September, that seems like the least I can do). I'm a long way from being ready to think about a new book, but cheers to all who are doing it!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got the chapters plotted and some writing done.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not NaNoing this year: I'm almost at the end of a book (85k in, another 10k or so to go), and the house needs sorting before we descend into Christmas. Good luck to everyone who is, though.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not for me this time.

I am (a) completely undersnowed (as a French colleague of mine once charmingly mixed up the English expression) and (b) nowhere near the stage where I can write anything of any length for my next project.

I am currently having quite a pleasant time sitting in the library reading about Mozart, though. And also going to the opera to listen to Mozart. All in the name of research, you understand. I think I may also need to go on a research trip to Vienna [Biased] .

After that I need to start researching Stalinist Russia and 1960s Paris (in that order - one of my other main characters is a Russian opera singer who has fled the Soviets. I have to figure out exactly when she left before I know what year we're in). And then I might just about be ready to start actually writing something.

Good luck, Nano people.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wrote 1000 words in the last three hours and did a shed-load of editing. I may write a little bit more later but I have to go into work. I seem to be able to write about 400 words or so per hour.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am 600 words into my long-planned Book. I spent this afternoon wandering round a graveyard looking for my subject's parents' grave, and then standing in front of her childhood home, drinking in the scene. It was splendid. But I hope the next 600 words don't take so long to write.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I’m doing Nano again. Even though I have another novel to finish editing, I had an idea and some things I wanted to explore as a possible sequel to the novel I am currenly editing. And a bunch of my friends are doing it, so I jumped in. I’m making surprisingly good progress, up to 23000 words so far. I might wind up with a trilogy when all is said and done.

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's good to see you, MrSponge2U!

Good luck with your writing and editing! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I wrote 3000 words on Thursday for my novel: I got up very early and then taught school for three hours. I wrote more after work and now have a total of over 25,000 words! Halfway there!

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just this minute finished the 1st draft of hopefully the next novel. 94k. Am having wine.

I love you all, very, very much. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm participating in NaNoWriMo and spent this evening talking about it on local internet radio. Most satisfactory as an experience; they played me "We Are the Champions".

Off to write about werewolves while the moon is full. It should keep Mr C happy.

Cattyish, behind with word count. Here's a link.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wasn't going to do NaNoWriMo officially but planned to make some progress on several projects with some concentrated effort.
It was not gone well.
mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tonight I have hit 46,000 words in this year's NaNo. I am happy, but would be even happier if I had a bar of chocolate with which to celebrate.

I think I will be self-disciplined and not allow myself chocolate until I reach the magic 50K mark...

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

If my target finishing time is 11.59 PM FMT / 5 PM PST Saturday, I need to need to crack on! I've got more than 10,000 words left to write!

[Paranoid] [brick wall]

--------------------

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made it to 50,000 words before the deadline. Hopefully some of them made sense. [Smile]

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I won NaNoWriMo, but I'm still writing! For some reason this project is addictive despite me not being entirely sure of its merits.

Cattyish, off to sew something as an antidote to NaNo fever.

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I fell a wee bit short of 'winning' NaNoWriMo this year but I went out to dinner with other contestants and met a few published authors. I am still tinkering with my book and plan to get it edited with the last 7,000 words that are needed. Maybe it shall be published as an E-book sometime next year, God willing! My lovely bride says she will participate in 2014, but I shall not as we just have the one real computer and her Nook does not process words...

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yaaay!! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

My friend the Ivy League creative writing teacher has finished reading my manuscript and she *loves* it. She says it just needs a few minor corrections to the grammar and punctuation and it’s ready for a literary agent!

[Yipee] Happy dance [Yipee]

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Yay!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm doing a little happy dance myself! I finally got time to sit down and do a re-write of a story that I've been meaning to get round to for months, and I'm now 3025 words in, with the plot tightened up considerably, and my young heroine in deep trouble! I forsee a few more days of typing in my near future.... so even worse things can happen to her! [Smile]

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

46,000 words and counting. Just shipped off three excerpts from the little novel to my sister, including one which is over 2000 words! She studied to be an English professor and her husband is a published author. My nephew and niece are very bright also - waiting for their verdict with bated breath.

[Paranoid]

--------------------

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

Did you get constructive feedback Sir K?

Cattyish, enjoying a break.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Still I am waiting for feedback from my sister, her daughter and her husband. Wife marked up one of the excerpts and I believe that I fixed it well enough to be somewhat readable!

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They're not all full length, and some are colections of others, but with the release today of my two latest cricket humour books, I've got 21 for sale on amazon.

Behind schedule on the next 3, so no resting on my proverbials.

mr curly

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having had restricted internet access in the past fortnight has pushed me to look at some of the creative writing I did a while ago. The problem with working on something at the time if that you don’t get perspective on it; revisiting it, it seems fluent and works well so I've been happily expanding/polishing it. The nice thing is that it also proved to me that I haven’t lost the ability, which I thought had dried up. I have a few completed novels I never did anything with but am now thinking that perhaps I should before it’s too late, and there’s some unfinished stuff that would be worth developing.

In short, it’s not been a bad thing to have a break from the internet.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My one NY resolution was to write a poem a week. Have managed to keep it for two whole weeks! So of course I see the edition of 52 Poems in gold-tooled Skivetex on the shelf already.

But, like Ariel, I must go back to the most viable of my unfinished novels and dust it off.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

My sister does not agree with my wife. Much editing at several thousand more words are needed. I think I will talk about drumming a bit: taking lessons and learning to read drum music as well as struggling to develop a good practise ethic. I also need to put a song that I composed on the drums on paper and learn to orchestrate other instruments to make it complete and/or marketable!

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Pre-publication wobbles. It's the biggest, most ambitious thing I've ever done - 'brave' I believe is the euphemism - and I know it's good, but the internet knows no bounds for its capacity to pick up on one thing or another and hammer the author for a perceived misstep. I will undoubtedly be a Jew-hating misogynist by sun-down tomorrow.

It was easier in Dickens' day. He had to wait for the post...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Three of the north east family are being published this month. My husband has written a chapter of a weighty academic tome. I have written a booklet on local history, which is being published through a fund which publishes worthy but not commercially viable local history. And my son is having the full book-launch, book signing and actually available in real books shops experience with his first book! I am going to live vicariously and enjoy my son's experience. So much more interesting than my own.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats all round.

But could you fix the link in your sig so it doesn't break the scroll lock?

Hostly thanks in advance.

Firenze

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Have put some stuff up on Wattpad recently. Not being One Direction fan fiction, it doesn't appear to be going that well.

mr curly

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Right. I am back from my holidays, my bosses are already driving me potty after less than an hour (although the most annoying one of all has knackered her ligaments skiing this weekend so she won’t be around to annoy me for a while…) and I’ve decided I’ve had enough of the rat race and I want to become rich and famous [Biased] .

Today I am going to send my first agent query.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

Another book ready for print on demand with CreateSpace.

I'm giving a talk at a "business network" lunch time meeting run by my denomination next week on self-publishing. Feeling like a writer!

mr curly

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Way to go, Mr Curly!!

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

I survived.

Talk went OK. People were very interested in the self-publishing process, as well as in the broader issues of digitization of content and the impact of technology on how we read and process information.

I could do that again!

mr curly

PS I wrote 10,000 words this week. Going to aim for that from now on.

[ 22. March 2014, 18:18: Message edited by: Mr Curly ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the things that puts me off about fiction publishing is the idea of a contract where you're contractually obliged to attend book signings and tours. As someone in full-time employment with only a set amount of holiday allowance this simply wouldn't be practical (and I'd hate it anyway).

How widespread is this sort of thing? I admit to not having looked that far but got the impression that publicity events like this were an expected part of fiction publishing. Certainly bookshops do seem to have an endless supply of authors doing the rounds.

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel, if you get a contract that obligates you to go on book tours (at your publisher's expense), you will be one of the lucky few. The only people who really are "obligated" to do that are people who are published by major publishers who have decided that yours is one of their handful of "big" books this season.

Most writers are published with smaller presses who have far less money to throw around, and a "book tour" is unlikely. Publishers do encourage writers to do bookstore signings and readings where possible; such things can be arranged either by the publisher or (more commonly, if like many writers you feel your publisher is slacking off on the job) by the writer herself. These are unlikely to be so frequent or far-flung as to interfere with your day job. Best-case scenario, you might get sent to a book festival of some kind at your publisher's expense ... once.

So unless you're a very well-known author or have a surprising runaway bestseller, fitting the book tour into your life is not likely to be a big problem. A more realistic challenge is managing to set up some events in your local area that will get your name and your book's name out there, and hoping that if there's a cost involved in getting to the event or putting out a few snacks at it, your publisher will spring for the cost.

--------------------
Books and things.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

An added point, Ariel -- readings and signings tend to be held on evenings and weekends so if they're in your local area they're not likely to be too inconvenient.

However, the fact that you would LIKE doing such events is a bigger issue -- because even if there's not the budget to support a big book tour, writers are expected to make themselves available for some kind of self-promotion. I'm not sure how "I just don't want to do readings, signings or interviews" would go over with a publisher. The problem they face is usually the opposite -- writers pestering the publisher to provide them with MORE promotional opportunities, rather than writers trying to get out of doing things.

Sorry for any note of bitterness about the publishing industry that may have crept into my replies! It's a tiring gig sometimes.

--------------------
Books and things.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Contracts are negotiable. If you get to that stage, your agent will presumably be aware of how you feel and can negotiate some sort of compromise.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
One of the things that puts me off about fiction publishing is the idea of a contract where you're contractually obliged to attend book signings and tours. As someone in full-time employment with only a set amount of holiday allowance this simply wouldn't be practical (and I'd hate it anyway).

How widespread is this sort of thing? I admit to not having looked that far but got the impression that publicity events like this were an expected part of fiction publishing. Certainly bookshops do seem to have an endless supply of authors doing the rounds.

[Paranoid]

There's a clause which says I need to promote the book and agree to reasonable requests. In practice, unless you're the next Rowling or Martin, you're not being 'sent' anywhere you don't want to go, and if you are, then you get to pick and choose.

Authors are doing events off their own back. I'm doing one in London on 10/4, and I'm getting my travel paid (which is nice) but nothing else. I've never been on a book tour or anything like that - and I'm an award-winning author with a Big 4/5 publisher.

Don't sweat it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I would like to beg your indulgence to be absurdly excited for a moment. I may?

Woooooohoooooooo

A top literary agency with famous people on their client list (including one of absolute favourite writers) has just requested my full manuscript!!!!

Yippeeee!!! My writing isn't crap!

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

(I know, it's far too early to be getting carried away, but it still made my day [Big Grin] .)

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hearty congratulations! It is often harder to get a good agent than it is to find a publisher.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurray!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Wow, la vie! That is wonderful news!
(Whatever your book, I want one!)

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

[Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:

My son has done one festival, one book shop signing, three library visits and four school visits so far. He's hoping to do a lot of book shop signings over the University summer holidays, but he'll be organising those himself and keeping the costs down by getting free accomodation from relatives / using his student rail card / using Mum's taxi service etc. Last summer he was working as a shop assistant, on minimum wage, so he doesn't have to make very much out of the book shop visits to equal other available student holiday employment. Plus it fits in with working on another book over the summer.

It works for him, because he's at University, only 20 and happy to sofa-surf. I'm not sure how it would work for someone in full-time employment.

He is loving it!

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
One of the things that puts me off about fiction publishing is the idea of a contract where you're contractually obliged to attend book signings and tours. [...]
How widespread is this sort of thing?

[Killing me] You'd be lucky to get within a hundred miles of such a thing. The typical publicity budget for a new book by an unknown author is somewhere between zero and not very much.

Yes, loads of autors try to set up talks and signings and so on, or go to libraries and conferences and conventions, but they do thatoff their own bat because they want to sell copies of their book. Far from forcing them to do it the chances are the publishers will be ignoring most of them and concentrating what budget they have on whoever is supposed to be this year's Big Thing.

[ 28. March 2014, 14:09: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken is precisely right. If by any remote and distant chance your publisher insists upon a PR tour and sending you to signings, SAY YES. It is at least as rare as a unicorn appearing in your front garden.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

For those who are London/SE England based, I'm appearing (as if by magic!) at Blackwells Charing Cross next Thursday (10th) at 6pm for an evening of 'revolutionary fantasy'. I'll be sharing the stage with Mark Alder - staunch atheist - for a discussion about the divine right of kings, religion both as a means of social control and a catalyst for change, and we'll undoubtedly be leading the gathered crowds in a rendition of the Red Flag.

Link here. There may be a pub involved afterwards... [Biased]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Link here. There may be a pub involved afterwards... [Biased]

As soon as this pub closes
The Revolution starts.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016