homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » That's the part where I cry (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: That's the part where I cry
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...or laugh or yell at the screen/book/song.

I've been re-watching ST:TNG, and tonight one of the episodes was "The Offspring". That's the one where Data creates his daughter, Lal. (One of my favorites.) I know what's going to happen. Nothing is a surprise, but when Lal is frightened and then is dying, the tears just start running down my face. (I always laugh when she kisses Riker, too!)

What are the things that no matter how many times you experience them, you have an emotional reaction? Please tell me that I'm not the only one!

I'm sure there has to be another Shipmate or two who does the same thing. Tell us! But perhaps limiting ourselves to one experience per post would keep me out of hot water with my fellow Heavenly Hosts. [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've always cried at the end of "Dead Poets Society" (which ends with a suicide). After Robin Williams' death, I doubt that I'll be able to watch it at all.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Field of Dreams". Oh. My. God. That movie is an entire box of facial tissue for me. I cry and cry and cry at the part where Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) gets to play a game of catch with his father, back from the dead, only his father is a younger version of himself. Ray had fought with his father about baseball and said some really dumb, hurtful things and then his father had died before Ray got to take all of it back...

I guess it gets me because I lost both of my parents when I was very young and there are things I said to my mother than I wish like hell I could take back...anyway, that movie is healing but it sure clogs up my nose for awhile, if you know what I mean...sniff!

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The best episode of ST:TNG is in my opinion, The Inner Light, where Picard is immobilised by a probe and then lives an entire lifetime, marries, has children, grandchildren, and sees the eventual demise of the planet, before waking on the bridge. A flute that he learned to play while living this lifetime is left to him in his real life on the Enterprise. I hear the tune he learned in my head even as I write this, and mist up a little. I was as moved as is possible by a ST episode (and am when I see it), and my family generally calls me an old sap for it.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't want to spoil it, but the very, very end of Nights of Cabiria.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've always cried at the end of "Dead Poets Society" (which ends with a suicide). After Robin Williams' death, I doubt that I'll be able to watch it at all.

I was thinking the very SAME thing the other day! I always cried at the end of that movie but now...I'm fairly certain I will never be able to watch that again...damn! Oh, Robin... [Frown]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just rewatched Good Will Hunting the other night.

"It's not your fault."

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The5thMary:
"Field of Dreams". Oh. My. God. That movie is an entire box of facial tissue for me. I cry and cry and cry at the part where Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) gets to play a game of catch with his father, back from the dead, only his father is a younger version of himself. Ray had fought with his father about baseball and said some really dumb, hurtful things and then his father had died before Ray got to take all of it back...

This.

And I seem to cry earlier each time because I know what is coming.

Looking along my DVD shelf there are plenty of others: La Boheme, Goodbye Mr Chips, Beaches, Driving Miss Daisy, Beautiful Thing, Steel Magnolias, etc.

Years ago a friend and I were sitting watching a movie, can't remember what now, and he turned to me, tears streaming down his face, and said "Why do feel-good movies always make me cry?"

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The last scene from Paths Of Glory

It's not directly connected to the rest of the stroy, except in a broad thematic way(it follows a scene of several soldiers being wrongfully executed). The men are supposed to be French soldiers, the woman a German POW.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Inner Light is a great ST-THNG episode.

I'm also fond of Deep Space Nine Far Beyond the Stars.

I am always moved to tears by the candlelight march in the documentary "The Life and Times of Harvey Milk".

Some others which put me close to tears; Edward Scissorhands and Annie Hall

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a kid "It's not easy being green" sung by Kermit the Frog would have me crying my eyes out.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The very end of the last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth, when they go over the top...

There's a song by The Unthanks, called "The King of Rome". It's about a racing pigeon. EVERY time I hear it, I cry.

Ditto for Janis Ian's "At seventeen". (I was actually 17 when I first heard it and couldn't believe that someone could write a song that perfectly described the pain and despair I was feeling and which I had never told anyone).

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watched The Inner Light on Monday as it was in the top ten of viewers choices and I was welling up too.

Far Beyond the Stars is also one of my favorite DS9 episodes.

Happy endings against all odds have me crying. I have to watch what I read on the bus. Several times I've sat there with tears streaming down my face!

And yes even when I've read the book before and know what's going to happen I still cry.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
As a kid "It's not easy being green" sung by Kermit the Frog would have me crying my eyes out.

Yes! You weren't the only one.

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Me, three.

The Eagles song " New Kid in Town" used to destroy me when I was a kid.

[ 27. August 2014, 07:25: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodbye, Mr Chips. The book.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The third LOTR movie gets me in Exactly. The. Same. Spot every time. It’s the soundtrack that does it.

It’s the thick of the battle, it’s going horribly, everybody’s going to die, and then out of nowhere the horns sound and the Riders of Rohan appear over the rise to ride to death or glory.

I always sob.

(In general heroism makes me squish more than the traditional pulling-at-the-emotions stuff.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Collin Raye's song If You Get There Before I Do is sure to reduce me to a sopping mess, as will Tim McGraw's Don't Take the Girl. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Les Miserables. In at least three different places.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't seen it for years, but the bit in "Shawshank Redemption" when Andy crawls out of the pipe from prison, stands in the ditch and raising his arms in the air in triumph. Feel all funny just writing that.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The film of Watership Down. Pretty much all of it, especially the bit where the rabbits run up the Down itself, and Fiver exclaims "You can see the whole world!"

But this, this is the bit that has me howling, when Hazel-rah is trying to save the warren, and praying to Frith, the sun-god:

quote:
Hazel: Lord Frith, I know you've looked after us well, and it's wrong to ask even more of you. But my people are in terrible danger, and so I would like to make a bargain with you. My life in return for theirs.

Frith: There is not a day or night that a doe offers her life for her kittens, or some honest captain of Owsla, his life for his chief. But there is no bargain: what is, is what must be.

[Waterworks]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In The Tudors , Natalie Dormer recited the actual words of Anne Boleyn's execution speech on the scaffold. There was a lot of wrong and silly stuff in this TV series (for example, Katherine Howard practising laying her head on the block in the nude!), but every now and then, it produced something spectacular like this. Natalie's acting was excellent.

Here's the full text of the speech , as recorded by an eye-witness. The part that gets me very time is 'I pray God save the king and send him long to reign over you, for a gentler nor a more merciful prince was there never: and to me he was ever a good, a gentle and sovereign lord' - she had to avoid criticising Henry VIII for the sake her daughter, Elizabeth.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Me four - and it still does. Little Mark, age 43 2/3.

There seems to be so much love in it. The Muppets is full of it, to me - full of a sense that someone put so much effort into creating great art, and then sat a wobbly puppet with a funny voice squeezing out corny lyrics over the top of the whole thing because that would make kids feel good. Listen again to the instrumental arrangement, and what the bass line is doing - it really is a loving pastiche of the best 70s MOR pop-jazz-orchestral-American music available. No corners were cut because it was 'just for kids'.

From a UK perspective, 'Ladybird' books sometimes do the same thing to me. They take kids seriously, and if you want to know about butterflies or read some interesting things to do with a battery and a light bulb, there's no better starting point. They don't lie, and they contain hope in a decent, structured, perhaps benignly-paternalistic society in some very prosaic places:

quote:
If you have read this book you will now have a very good idea of how the telephone works...You may be satisfied with the information we have been able to give you in these few pages. On the other hand, you may...want to go into the subject in greater detail or even make the telephone service your career. In either event, the Post Office will be pleased to give you advice on the technical books available and the steps you can take to further your education.

The Telephone, Ladybird Books 1972

Bits of my childhood were not so happy, I guess, and this loving craft and measured stability - perhaps benign paternalism - hit me somewhere very deep.

For a more adult literary take on Truth which kicks one in the balls again and again, 'Gilead' by Marilynne Robinson still makes me cry on the third reading. Something deeply emotional about slow, measured goodness.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Painted Veil makes me cry every time. I still love the film, i just have the tissues handy.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry to post again so quickly, but:

quote:
The film of Watership Down.
Me too...but the same thing (animated disaster with cute protagonists) comes to its apotheosis in Briggs' 'When the wind blows'. Yes, think nuclear-apocalypse meets 'The Snowman' and you are totally there. There, perhaps I am not so weird after all.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On the one hand, it is of course ridiculous that we should get all emotional at movies, books and suchlike. The world is full of real-life things more worthy of our tears. Etc. Etc.

On the other hand, if anyone's ever stuck for something to buy me as a small gift: hankies. I am the world's worst cryer.

Only yesterday I shed tears on hearing the Adagio from Bruckner's 8th symphony. And there aren't even any words! It's the last 4 minutes or so, the coda - it gets me every single time. I think I once managed to explain it to someone as, "It sounds like loneliness," and it does. And I know from his life story that the composer had not a cynical bone in his body, so he's not pulling some cheap trick - whatever he's doing in that music comes straight from his heart.

(And if after this the tune becomes my earworm for the day, then goodness knows how I'm going to get through the afternoon!)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

quote:
Me too...but the same thing (animated disaster with cute protagonists) comes to its apotheosis in Briggs' 'When the wind blows'. Yes, think nuclear-apocalypse meets 'The Snowman' and you are totally there. There, perhaps I am not so weird after all.
Oh yes, that. Even the book has me blubbing.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gone with the Wind ending, Sound of Music, when they sing Edelweiss at the concert, Les Mis- almost all of it! and Good Bye Mr Chips and probably loads more I can't think of at the moment
[Waterworks]

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Once upon a time, under a previous pastor, staff were all encouraged to take turns providing the devotion for staff meetings. When it was my turn, I chose to read the text of "And Can It Be that I Should Gain", which is my personal theology wrapped up in one hymn.

I was OK until I got to the last verse. With tears streaming down my face, it took a huge force of will to get past the huge lump in my throat to finish reading after a minute? two? (it felt like decades) when not a word could be said.

That was the first time I'd ever said the words out loud. Normally, I would be playing the hymn and absorbing the text then.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Only yesterday I shed tears on hearing the Adagio from Bruckner's 8th symphony. And there aren't even any words! It's the last 4 minutes or so, the coda - it gets me every single time. I think I once managed to explain it to someone as, "It sounds like loneliness," and it does. And I know from his life story that the composer had not a cynical bone in his body, so he's not pulling some cheap trick - whatever he's doing in that music comes straight from his heart.

There's a piece of music on one of Amy Grant's Christmas albums called Gabriel's Oboe. I believe it comes from a film called The Mission, but I haven't seen it. The music is so mournful that I cry every time I hear it. Every December, I set my iPod to play Christmas music on shuffle while I'm driving; Gabriel's Oboe gets me every time.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The first five minutes or so of Up. I have it on DVD, but I daren't watch it again.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:
There's a piece of music on one of Amy Grant's Christmas albums called Gabriel's Oboe. I believe it comes from a film called The Mission, but I haven't seen it. The music is so mournful that I cry every time I hear it. Every December, I set my iPod to play Christmas music on shuffle while I'm driving; Gabriel's Oboe gets me every time.

Then don't listen to anything else from The Mission! - Ave Maria Guarani is a heartbreaker for me. Don't listen to anything else by Ennio Morricone, for that matter - I'm a sobbing wreck during the last scene of Cinema Paradiso, and it's mostly his music's fault!

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't read Shirley Hughes' Dogger dry eyed.

I blubbed when reading the Little House on the Prairie books to my kids as bedtime stories. I loved them as a girl, but when I was reading them as an adult, they were completely different.

And I cried buckets when reading the ending of I am David, again a bedtime story for my kids which I'd first read as a girl.

I wonder what impact having your bedtime story read by a sobbing mother has long term? [Eek!]

[ 27. August 2014, 12:50: Message edited by: North East Quine ]

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jack Point's song at the end of The Yeomen of the Guard, the only one of the Gilbert & Sullivan Savoy operas with a sad ending.

Gets me every time. [Waterworks]

Oh, and the theme from Love Story, obviously. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
  • Meet Me in St. Louis : As soon as Judy comes in to her little's sister's room I start tearing up and am all out bawling at the end of the scene.
  • West Side Story : The tears start as soon as Tony shows up at the playground and continue through the "one more bullet" speech

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The end of Toy Story 3 ...
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of Toy Story - The song 'When somebody loved me' (written by Randy Newman) played when the doll is telling her tale of her owner growing older and losing interest in her and eventually getting rid of her (Toy Story 2).

[ 27. August 2014, 14:19: Message edited by: jrw ]

--------------------
plug plug

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:

quote:
I know my limits. I've never dared watch it. I think I'd cry so much that by the end I'd be a little wrinkled walnut.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's a song called "Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears" that will normally bring tears to my eyes. (This is performed by Celtic Woman, Irish Tenors, etc.)
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by jrw:
Speaking of Toy Story - The song 'When somebody loved me' (written by Randy Newman) played when the doll is telling her tale of her owner growing older and losing interest in her and eventually getting rid of her (Toy Story 2).

Oh yes - gets me every time. It is a perfect weepy moment.

A film I haven't seen in decades - the original (1963) Incredible Journey. The moment where two of the animals make it home and - for a moment - you think that the third one hasn't made it. I know how the film ends but I'm already welling up just thinking about it.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I can only mention one per post... then the most reliable I have found recently is near the end of Cars when the hero (sorry, I've forgotten the names [Hot and Hormonal] ) gives up his chance of winning the race to make sure that the other car finishes.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
  • Meet Me in St. Louis : As soon as Judy comes in to her little's sister's room I start tearing up and am all out bawling at the end of the scene.
  • West Side Story : The tears start as soon as Tony shows up at the playground and continue through the "one more bullet" speech

Check and check.

--------------------

Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Greyfriars Bobby

First film I ever saw (1962) and in a theatre with the curtain going up and the lights going down and all the performance
Can't even think of it withlout sniffling.
Like now.
The wee doggie, the old man, the street kids, all of it...

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The film of The Railway Children, where the figure of a man emerges through the steam, and there is this perfectly-timed pause, and then Jenny Aguter cries out, "Daddy! O my Daddy!"

*howls*

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently that was one of the (many) things that used to get Tony Benn blubbing in public, too. Indeed IIRC he said in his memoirs that 'Railway Children' had become a sort of family shorthand expression for 'dad's off again'.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meryl Streep reading AE Housman's poem To an Athlete Died Young at Robert Redford's funeral in Out of Africa.

Silence sounds no worse than cheers, after earth has stopped the ears.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Graham J
Apprentice
# 505

- Posted      Profile for Graham J     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes. Cottontail. That's the moment for me too. Every time.

--------------------
GJ

Posts: 46 | From: Örebro, Sweden | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
The film of The Railway Children, where the figure of a man emerges through the steam, and there is this perfectly-timed pause, and then Jenny Aguter cries out, "Daddy! O my Daddy!"

*howls*

I watched this with a friend and her mum commented that C would never great her father like that. She died a few months ago and I cannot get the scene out of my head, with C running towards her Heavenly Father.

I feel quite silly even posting it
[Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

There's a moment in the Doctor Who story Vincent and the Doctor. The Doctor and Amy take the depressed and disillusioned Vincent van Gogh - who only ever sold one painting and who lived in poverty - to see an exhibition of his work in 21st century Paris. Vincent is overwhelmed to see his paintings in the Musée d'Orsay. But then the Doctor asks the museum guide to give his appraisal of van Gogh. Vincent overhears the guide talking about the artist who "transformed the pain of his tormented life into ecstatic beauty" - and I never really make it past that point, I'm afraid.

--------------------

roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with Oscar the Grouch about the last brief scene of the last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth. The surprise -- and the pathos -- are enhanced by a sudden, unexpected, and very beautiful change in visual style.

My first thought when I read the OP: The death of the little burro Platero at the end of Juan Ramon Jimenez's Platero y Yo. It's a sweet, gentle ending, and inevitable. But I never reread this book without hoping that things will end differently this time.

[ 27. August 2014, 21:00: Message edited by: roybart ]

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016