homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » That's the part where I cry (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: That's the part where I cry
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
My key triggers which I do love, though, have not been mentioned (apart from that opening sequence of "UP").

At last, reassurance that I am not alone!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
pjl
Shipmate
# 16929

- Posted      Profile for pjl   Email pjl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not normally bothered with fictional weepies, but non fictional can get me going a bit.

Many years ago whilst in Africa the family watched the classic original 1986 film 'Jock of the bushveld'.

Wow, I really teared up, still the only time I have seen my son well up.

Last weekend was my sons eldest kids birthday. At his request at the end of the party we played the film.

No dry eyes in the house at the end.

Believe the film did not go down well in the States because of the ending.

A great film for dog lovers.

Posts: 576 | From: england | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Piers Brosnan's singing can move me to tears but perhaps not for the same reasons as everything else on this thread.

On a completely different note, Flowers for Algernon. A shaft of ice goes through my heart when we read Charlie's first typo after coming off the meds. After that, downhill and hankies all the way ...

And, the fate of Lyra and Will in The Amber Spyglass.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
EloiseA
Shipmate
# 18029

- Posted      Profile for EloiseA   Email EloiseA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wiping my eyes just reading through this thread.

My mother took us children to see Walt Disney's Bambi and howled through it. We were terrified she would never stop crying. A few years after, my sister and I went to see Elsa the lioness in Born Free and we both cried our eyes out. I still can't watch anything with animals in [simulated] pain or dying, not even animated film scenes.

And the reading of Auden's poem Funeral Blues from Four Weddings and a Funeral always gets me.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one,
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun,
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods;
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Funeral Blues

--------------------
“You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you odd.” Flannery O'Connnor

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you EloiseA - just seeing that on the screen makes me tear up.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
My key triggers which I do love, though, have not been mentioned (apart from that opening sequence of "UP").

At last, reassurance that I am not alone!
I saw UP at the cinema just after my uncle died. (I was miserable and my best friend took me out for movie and dinner by way of consolation. UP was the only thing on that week that wasn’t morbidly depressing.)

I bawled. I haven’t watched it again since so I don’t know what it would do to me in different circumstances.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something else that occurs to me, thinking of poetry, is the Kipling poem about the Centurion who doesn't want to go back to Rome because he feels more at home in Britain - it's when he pleads with his commanding officer "Command me not to go!"

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amika
Shipmate
# 15785

- Posted      Profile for Amika   Email Amika   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flowers for Algernon...I can't even watch it or read the book again for the pain of it.

Many of the others mentioned above, especially parts of The Sound of Music; parts of The Mission, especially when Jeremy Irons is lying there injured watching the disaster come to a terrible end; the closing credits of Cry Freedom; 'I love you, Father' from Lal (aargh, just reading all these is making my eyes water); plus the moment in The Killing Fields when Sydney arrives in Thailand and finds Pran while 'Imagine' plays on the car radio.

Posts: 147 | From: Ingerland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodbye Lenin when brother asks sister what she said, the sandman scene and the final speech.
(I think it helps that the contradictions mush my brain, and I'm a sucker for elsewhere-patriotism, and it's very finely crafted).

When watched Carousel am a bit weepy at the bit where he fails to be relate to his daughter, but it's rather spoiled by the "If you're a victim of domestic violence, you're a slut" message immediately afterwards.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amika:
...the closing credits of Cry Freedom...

Forgot to agree with this one. I think the closing credits is also the reason I choke up when I hear Nkosi Sikelele Africa.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm a bit of a blubber, so when someone warned me about Up! I made sure I watched it from the safety of my sofa. Unfortunately, no one warned me about Frankenweenie and I was on a plane back from Perth when I watched that. Hardly embarrassing at all...
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Palm Sunday, about five or six years ago, I was one of the scripture readers. I was not assigned the triumphant entry scripture. No, I had the death of Jesus scripture.

I was fine while reading it in my head. Ten or twelve times I read it with no problem. When it was time to read it aloud in the service, though, I broke down.

The parishioners were very kind. They said it made the reading more 'real'. However, I wanted to drop into my imaginary trap door I keep at the organ console.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There are many hymns I have trouble getting through these days; prime among them is "How Great Thou Art".

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two that get me every time.

First, the scene in The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay where Prince Diarmuid rides to fight Uathach. From there to the end of that chapter, I am reading through tears.

Second, the Fairport Convention song by Richard Thompson, Meet on the Ledge. Just for the lyrics ...and now I've got it as an earworm [Help]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Way too many to list, but here are a few:

Music:

Maddie Pryor and June Tabor singing "Gray Funnel Line". Unearthly; simply gorgeous.

The King's Singers version of "The Oak and the Ash". The whole thing is beautiful, but the very last words of the song ("How I wish/once again in the North/I could be") kills me.

"Land of Make Believe" by Chuck Mangione, with Esther Summerfield on vocals, backed with the Hamilton Philharmonic. My husband and I were in the car a couple of years ago, this came on the radio and from the moment Esther Summerfield started singing, I burst into tears. I had never heard the song before. Where the f*@k was I when this came out?!

Andre Heller's song "Du, du, du". Anyone who thinks German can't be beautiful needs to hear this song. The lyrics are just wonderful. It's a very special song to me.

I totally agree with the people who mentioned Randy Newman's "When somebody loved me" sung by Sarah McLachlan in Toy Story 2. I'm a wreck whenever I hear it. Another wonderful Randy Newman song is "That'll do" from Babe: Pig in the City, sung by Peter Gabriel. I totally lose it.

In books:

The part in Nabokov's "Pnin" where Pnin is thinking about a woman he once loved and her death in a Nazi camp. I burst into tears on the subway when I was reading it. Nabokov is not known for sentimentality, and this description was far for sentimental--it was sheer anguish, beautifully written and not overdone. I've never forgotten it.

Thomas Merton's description in "Conjectures of a guilty bystander" of his epiphany on a street corner in Louisville, Kentucky where he says" "There is no way of telling people that they are all walking around shining like the sun.” I burst into tears when I read it.

Pages 91 and 92 in Pema Chodron's "When things fall apart" where she is describing bodhichitta (compassion) and ends by saying "Right down there in the thick of things, we discover the love that will not die." I can't read it without breaking down.

The epilogue of Susan Kay's "Legacy", a terrific historical novel about Elizabeth I. It describes her death and what happens next. I won't say any more. It knocked me sideways.

In theatre:

The song "Sunday" at the end of the first act of "Sunday in the Park with George" where Seurat is painting "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte" and the actors are on stage singing and moving around, and then at the very end, in the production I saw, a transparent scrim came down, the lights went on it, and there it was--the picture. I burst out crying; it was gorgeous.

Tom Stoppard's "Arcadia"--the very end, in the production I saw, broke me up. It was just magic.

A little known musical called "Wings" about a woman, formerly a aviatrix, who has a stroke. I cried through the whole thing, because it made me think of my mother, who was also a prisoner in her own body with MS. In the last song, "Wings", the main character is dying, but as she leaves her body, she is more alive than she's ever been and is "going forth on wings". I can't even describe it.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On YouTube, there's a beautiful rendition of Neil Sedaka's song Going Nowhere by Lena Zavaroni. The words are so poignant, especially as she was already suffering from anorexia. Here's a link if you've never seen it. just haunting.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
There are many hymns I have trouble getting through these days; prime among them is "How Great Thou Art".

I always break down there because it is such a kiwi
standard...and I am 10000 miles away from there. Happily 10000 miles away; just to make it even more complicated - hence more likely I'll cry

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
That scene from M*A*S*H gets me too, but for music the song "Perhaps Love" by John Denver and sung by him and Placido Domingo gets me going.

For some reason Denver's "Calypso" really gets to me. I am willing to bet I am alone in that.

You'd lose. And don't get me started on "Christmas for "Cowboys". . .

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this where all we John Denver fans out ourselves. [Smile]

And I can't even read about The Railway Children without welling up........

[ 01. September 2014, 05:52: Message edited by: busyknitter ]

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So many children's books :

Dogger by Shirley Hughes ('then Bella did something very kind...')
Peepo by Janet and Allan Ahlberg
I am David ('my son David' ... can't see the keyboard for tears just thinking of this one)
The chapter of the Silver Sword by Ian Serralier where the dog dies so that Jan can escape
the ending of Children on the Oregon Trail
Obviously the ending of the Railway Children
Goodnight Mr Tom
The bit where the girls weep over dead Aslan

Basically I'm a hopeless crier. I haven't even scratched the surface here, not to mention films, music, adults books.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
I am David ('my son David' ... can't see the keyboard for tears just thinking of this one)

Oh, golly, yes. I sometimes wonder what it was like for his mother, quietly getting on with her life with the ever-present heartache of a missing-presumed-dead son - who one day turns up on her doorstep. Stopping now because my eyes are tingling ...
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Almost any story from The Moth Radio Hour. (themoth.org)

These are ordinary people telling stories about themselves in their own shaky voices and whether they're meant to be funny or sad, they all make me mist up a little bit.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've even cried over Ivor the Engine! Ivor takes the choir to the seaside, and they all go off and enjoy themselves while he's left alone on the railway track - later, they build a special bit of track so he can go down onto the beach with them!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Old and Wise" from Alan Parsons Project always does it for me. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
There's a moment in the Doctor Who story Vincent and the Doctor. The Doctor and Amy take the depressed and disillusioned Vincent van Gogh - who only ever sold one painting and who lived in poverty - to see an exhibition of his work in 21st century Paris. Vincent is overwhelmed to see his paintings in the Musée d'Orsay. But then the Doctor asks the museum guide to give his appraisal of van Gogh. Vincent overhears the guide talking about the artist who "transformed the pain of his tormented life into ecstatic beauty" - and I never really make it past that point, I'm afraid.

YES! I had, as a student nurse, very sadly experienced the first loss of a patient shortly before that episode aired and it hit me right in the guts. I sobbed and sobbed. My Mum thought I'd taken leave of my senses. I've got a lump in my throat even now thinking of that scene.
Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And spamming the thread since I'm now weepy anyway...

I can't listen to 'Into the West' at the end of LOTR without bawling my eyes out. It makes me think about death and loss and in spite of all my struggles with faith to confront my small remaining hope that I might see them again.

I also cried when Harry sat in front of the mirror looking at his family, when Dumbledore died and when Harry was taking his last walk surrounded by his family. Oh and when I read PS I love you I sobbed through the whole book.

And I worry about being unemotional...

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The final straw.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In "Upstairs Downstairs," I not only cried when James killed himself, I felt a little depressed for days.
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last night I deliberately went onto youtube and watched the scene from A Canterbury Tale I mentioned earlier just to be sure and, in about 3 seconds, was welling up.

Also, the soliloquy about what the war's done to her in A Portrait of Clare.

But, if you haven't seen it, I can't recommend A Canterbury Tale highly enough. It explains so much about who (many of us) English are, and why we're (often) like we are. And what our relations were fighting for, and what, in so many ways, we have so recently lost.

It's a wonderful, wonderful film, but God it makes me cry from beginning to end. And I'm a rugby loving ex-public schoolboy.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seconded, in all respects.In fact I think it is that sense of something which we have lost that makes me cry, as much as anything.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cry so easily that reading this thread, in which other people describe the things that make them cry, has made me cry.

Everytime we see Les Mis my daughter watches to see when I start crying. It's usually as soon as we get to Paris (nothing in the earlier part of the show oddly enough) and certainly by "Do You Hear the People Sing?" I'm a basket case.

The "Into the Forest" chapter of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where the dead appear to Harry, gets me every time.

In one of my favourite novels, Dorothy Sayers' Gaudy Night, the line "All the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them," at a crucial moment in the story, makes me cry every time I read it.

There are no so many hymns that make me cry that church is an absolute minefield of bawling opportunities. And often for the oddest reasons. Some quite understandable (sung at the funeral of someone I loved, for example). Some a bit more obscure: "Does Jesus Care" used to make me cry because of the story, well known here in Newfoundland, of the men freezing to death out on the ice who sang that song in their dying moments. Then a few weeks ago we were singing it and I was sitting next to my dad who couldn't go on after the line "Does Jesus care when I've said goodbye to the dearest on earth to me" and we both started to cry thinking of my mom. And sometimes the reasons are completely odd, like "The Old Rugged Cross" which makes me cry not because of Jesus but of Doctor Who.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
The "Into the Forest" chapter of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, where the dead appear to Harry, gets me every time.

In one of my favourite novels, Dorothy Sayers' Gaudy Night, the line "All the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them," at a crucial moment in the story, makes me cry every time I read it.

Yes and yes! And the end of I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith: “Only the margin left to write on now. I love you, I love you, I love you.”

[ 05. September 2014, 08:31: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh and of course in the right mood this and this will get my, and any English secret romantic's, tears flowing.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and the slow movement from the Schubert String Quintet - at his earlier request we played it at my dad's funeral which has made it even more difficult to listen to.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Oh and of course in the right mood this and this will get my, and any English secret romantic's, tears flowing.

tangent: I nearly jumped out of my chair with surprise when I saw one of the stations in the first clip you linked to - I live not five minutes' walk from where it was! The footpath that used to be the railway line runs along the back of my street.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh God, I've just read through this thread [Waterworks]

I would add Sarah McLachlan's 'In the arms of an angel', and Bif Naked's 'Tell on you'...

And what everyone's said about Vincent and the Doctor... [Frown]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and to add, the death of Ginger in 'Black Beauty', which upset me so much when I read it as a child I haven't been able to read it since.

I can't bear the pain of animals, real or imagined, and I also wept seeing the stage version of 'War Horse'.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw WAR HORSE just last month -- it struck me as so clearly a Spielberg movie.
The third TOY STORY movie was terribly weepy for me, because my son had just driven off to college. And we have a white minivan. The idea that he was going off, and the boy would never come back again even if the man does...

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
...and to add, the death of Ginger in 'Black Beauty', which upset me so much when I read it as a child I haven't been able to read it since'.

Ugh, was that the barn fire? That horrified me.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

No, she is worked to death as a cab horse... and now I'm snivelling again [Frown]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oooh, yeah. [Frown]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...And Black Beauty wasn't certain it was Ginger, but he hoped that it was and she was out of her misery. [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Go to Youtube and see if you can find a clip of the Sesame Street episode where Big Bird comes to terms with the death of Mr. Hooper. ( the real life actor had died shortly before the episode was shot.) Big Bird acted out the point of view of a preschool child who didn't understand the concept of death. The other actors responded to his questions and sadness in character, but they allowed themselves to freely weep through the dialogue. It was one of the frankest, most respectful, most heartbreaking treatments of a character/ actor's demise I have ever seen.

oh my god. I remember that well. I wasn't all that old myself. and it completely wrecked me. haven't seen it since but just thinking about it.

GAH!

others: Shylock's soliloquy. "if you prick us, do we not bleed?" gives me ferocious angry tears every time. even just reading the damn script.

"Christmas in the Trenches" by John McCutcheon.

the part in The Book Thief (book, haven't seen the movie) Where Death talks about all the dead that he gathered at the smoke stacks in the concentration camps, and how he tried to comfort them. I tried reading it out loud to my students last year to illustrate the power that simple writing can have, and was completely incapable. my throat just shuts down.

the end of Christopher Moore's Lamb. it's silly, really. it's not like we don't all know how it's going to end. but it just slays me.

the part in Cabaret where the young nazi is singing and everyone joins in. it's the creepiest foreshadowing scene ever. those are tears of dread and fear and a little bit of despair.

When Col. Blake died.

and finally - when I was in Agnes of God (the play) we ran for 3 weeks. I NEVER got through my final monologue without blubbering. it was so hard 'cause there I am on stage under a spot delivering a very impassioned closing speech to the audience and my throat tries to slam shut and my voice squeaks and the snot and tears start. I'm sure it looked like some kind of brilliant acting while it was just real response to the moment. EACH TIME. for NINE PERFORMANCES.

I feel pretty comfortable is saying there wasn't a dry eye. including my own.

[ 06. September 2014, 02:23: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Macrina:

I can't listen to 'Into the West' at the end of LOTR without bawling my eyes out. It makes me think about death and loss and in spite of all my struggles with faith to confront my small remaining hope that I might see them again.

We played this at my mum's funeral as she was carried out and, as a result none of my brothers or my father would listen to it again because it made them cry. I play it and remember .. and cry.

Also from the Lord of the Rings (book)The bit where Sam thinks Frodo has died, and knows he has to go on and destroy the ring, even though it means leaving Frodo's body.

"Let the Celebrations Begin" a picture book based on a true story set in a Nazi concentration camp before and on the day of liberation. The women are using their clothes to make toys for the children who have never had them.

As mentioned above ... "Blackadder goes Forth." When I first saw it I sat there absolutely stunned.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with so many of these, especially the scenes from Field of Dreams, 4 Weddings & A Funeral, and West Side Story.

I would add: the final speech given by The Little Prince before his death:

"In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night."

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes to The Little Prince - and I'll raise you The Velveteen Rabbit.

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

What about the end of Wilde's The Selfish Giant, where the small child is revealed as Christ and the giant dies peacefully?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

All of Oscar's fairy tales, really - especially in The Nightingale and the Rose where the Nightingale sacrifices herself for the Student, and ends up lying dead in the grass with a thorn in her heart... [Waterworks]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Talking of Wilde - how about The Ballad of Reading Gaol?

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This film set to James Blake's music has me typing this through tears right now. Joni Mitchell's haunting melody, with James Blake's heartrending singing and arrangement, with that video so full of expressions and emotions, catching precisely a relationship that's just not quite right, in which there's plenty of joyful moments but where everything all of a sudden turns dark, before going back to regular... I couldn't describe it any better, sorry, but there you have it.

I agree totally with the first five minutes of Up! (basically a short film in itself), and the Goodbye Lenin scenes mentioned above, in particular the sandman scene.

I'll also mention Almost Famous. Plenty of scenes touch me very, very deeply, probably most of all the one where Will breaks down in tears in a hotel corridor. In part it's about being lost, far away from home, but it also illustrates so well the struggle to try to be cool and the terrible moment when you realize there's just no way it'll succeed.

Also: Bruce Springsteen's If I was the priest often moves me to tears. Not sure why, but it was song of tears for me even before it got attached to the loss of a childhood friend last autumn.

And, on the right day, Lamb Chopped's sig. (Not the bit about her book.)

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016