homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » That's the part where I cry (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: That's the part where I cry
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JFH:

Also: Bruce Springsteen's If I was the priest often moves me to tears. Not sure why, but it was song of tears for me even before it got attached to the loss of a childhood friend last autumn.

Ohh, why did I click that link?
[Waterworks]
Springsteen is another one who knows how to get you where you live.

Any James Taylor fans out there? "Close your eyes."

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Criminy. I am watching Fanny and Alexander for the first time. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Any James Taylor fans out there? "Close your eyes."

For me it's Janis Ian-- especially
In the Winter

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Talking of Wilde - how about The Ballad of Reading Gaol?

It's moving in places but a nagging bitterness comes across.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, tho' he might well have thought that he had something to be bitter about.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The West Wing, Series 1 "In Excelsis Deo". The final scenes when the homeless man is being buried with full military honours always gets me.

Brilliant.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many, many of the above, especially Vincent and The Doctor

I'd like to add Ed Sheeran singing Small Bump

The scene from carousel where Billy Bigelow watches his daughter graduate unseen

The book Love You Forever

[Links edited because you had "http://" in twice in the urls. - Ariel/Heaven Host]

[ 09. September 2014, 19:38: Message edited by: Ariel ]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

"Love you forever" is one of my favorite books to read aloud. I read it at my Grandma's memorial service. It fit her perfectly. [Tear]

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While we're on "The Doctor made me cry" I found "An Adventure in Space and Time" eye moistening as well.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Miss Madrigal
Shipmate
# 15528

- Posted      Profile for Miss Madrigal   Email Miss Madrigal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I first watched "The Elephant Man" in the cinema I had to leave as I was crying so much after 20 minutes it was disturbing the other audience members.

The scene in Brassed Off where the band plays Londonderry Air to Danny as he lies in hospital, his wayward son struggling with his collapsing trombone.

Bring it back to the cast of ST:TNG, I'm catching up with Breaking Bad and in the last episode of series 2 there is a look that John de Lancie gives that just made me crumple. One look, perfectly acted.

Posts: 79 | From: The Bit In The Middle | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Madrigal:
When I first watched "The Elephant Man"

I love that film.
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss Madrigal:

The scene in Brassed Off where the band plays Londonderry Air to Danny as he lies in hospital, his wayward son struggling with his collapsing trombone.

Bring it back to the cast of ST:TNG...

I remember that film: we enjoyed it very much but it doesn't make me cry to think about it.

(By the way, Michael Dorn who played Warf, is an old school friend. I last spoke to him at a convention more than a decade ago. He commutes to speaking engagements in old fighter planes.)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another vote for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode: 'The Body'. A stunning piece of tv, beautifully written, directed and acted. It captures perfectly that point of grief when it feels like everything is muffled and silent and no one knows what to say to anybody else.

The Dark Crystal. Oh Good Lord. Not just a bit misty-eyed, but great fountains of tears. Repeatedly. It matters not at all that all the characters are puppets. No-one creates a puppet like Jim Henson Creature Shop.

Which reminds me of numerous bits of Farscape but especially the very last 5 minutes (pre-Peacekeeper Wars). Vaporising main characters is a good way to get any audience blubbing, but at the end of the series, just having heard that there might not be any more episodes. Blimey. [Waterworks]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Billy Elliot - the movie, not the musical is a tearjerker in a few places but especially that final moment when he leaps on to the stage as an adult as the character from Swan Lake.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When ET seems to die. I broke up both times I watched the film.

[ 11. September 2014, 07:01: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every Easter that we use the passage from John's Gospel. There's Mary Magdalene devastated by the death of Jesus, and she encounters the Gardener. He calls her "Mary!" and suddenly she realizes -- and I start crying.

The Christmas passage from Luke's Gospel often gets me too -- especially when told by Linus.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when Dobby is killed - I finished that book [again!] last night.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I started reading this thread yesterday, and subsequently had to go to a meeting while looking like a pot of stewed tomatoes.

My father, a locally-known athlete and coach, died suddenly at 49. I had spent much of my childhood watching him being clapped and cheered. A month after his death, I sat in the front row in a university class. First poem: To an Athlete Dying Young.

That same year, Field of Dreams - dealing with baseball, fathers, death, forgiveness, and eternal life - came out. It took me years before I could bring myself to see it, and even then it had a hurricane-like effect. To top it off, my father had known the story's author from university.

Toy Story 3 and Up deserve honourable mention.

I always cry at The Field Behind the Plow because it reminds me of my grandfather. It seems to me to capture the reality of farming the vast, beautiful, harsh prairie, and both the grim endurance and the hopefulness of it ("Watch the field behind the plow/Turn to straight, dark rows/Put another season's promise in the ground.") Sorry, the video isn't very visually engaging, but just listen to it for some damn fine folk music.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lots of hymns (and I mean LOTS) have bits that will start a tear for me; sometimes the power of the words, sometimes a remembered association or occasion, but one that never fails is the final stanza of 'My Song Is Love Unknown' -- I think it's the combination of that text with John Ireland's perfectly matched tune.
We sing it every year as the final hymn during communion on Palm Sunday (admittedly an emotionally charged service) and I have to work very hard to keep my sobs from being audible. My fellow choristers know that I'm unreliable from about the middle of the 3rd stanza.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Pity that hymn is so anti-semitic.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saw that one coming... [Snore]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I cry every time at Apollo 13. That moment when there is silence and everyone is waiting to see if they managed to get back and it cuts to Tom Hank's son at school. He's away from his family and trying to be so brave and I just lose it.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tom Hank's son (the actor) in the "Fargo" TV series made me tear-up a couple of times. What a sweet sensitive face he has.

The Winona Ryder version of Little women has lots of sniffly moments. Of course when Beth dies but even earlier, after Amy has burned Jo's manuscript and puts her head around the door to whisper, "I'm sorry, Jo." You know it's her first real experience of remorse.

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know it's been mentioned several times, but UP. I cried the whole way through that - to the extent of having to leave the room to fetch tissues. Lots of my other guaranteed crying have been mentioned: Little Women, certain episodes of West Wing, The Railway Children.

L M Montgomery gets me badly twice, first in Anne of Green Gables when Matthew dies, and then Rilla of Ingleside when Jem Blythe comes home.

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scots lass:

L M Montgomery gets me badly twice, first in Anne of Green Gables when Matthew dies, and then Rilla of Ingleside when Jem Blythe comes home.

Not when Walter dies though? That gets me everytime. (And of course Jem's homecoming too ... in both cases mainly because of Dog Monday).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speaking of Little Women, Margaret O'Brien always makes me cry, regardless of which role she was in. They always seemed to give her tragic death scenes, which made it worse. At the age of side, she was said to have asked the director, 'When I cry, do you want the tears to run all the way or shall I stop halfway down?'

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
quote:

Not when Walter dies though? That gets me everytime. (And of course Jem's homecoming too ... in both cases mainly because of Dog Monday).
I weep from the start to the finish of that whole bloody book. I've only read it twice because of this - the last time I exhausted myself so much with weeping that I had to take the next day off to recover. And the worst thing is that the book is trite and sentimental, with jingoistic patriotism on every other page, and I get so angry with myself for falling for it. But it also captures without flinching the noble and tragic sentiment of the time, and you really really care for the characters. And oh, that dog ...
quote:
He flung himself against the tall soldier, with a bark that choked in his throat from sheer rapture. He flung himself on the ground and writhed in a frenzy of welcome. He tried to climb the soldier's khaki legs and slipped down and groveled in an ecstasy that seemed as if it must tear his little body in pieces. He licked his boots and when the lieutenant had, with laughter on his lips and tears in his eyes, succeeded in gathering the little creature up in his arms Dog Monday laid his head on the khaki shoulder and licked the sunburned neck, making queer sounds between barks and sobs.

The station agent had heard the story of Dog Monday. He knew now who the returned soldier was. Dog Monday's long vigil was ended. Jem Blythe had come home.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
quote:

Walter gets a sniffle, Jem and the dog get full on weeping - either I'm only susceptible to dogs or it's because you know Walter isn't coming back from Anne of Ingleside onwards. I'm pretending Cottontail hasn't posted that quote in order not to cry over my keyboard.
Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starbug:
Speaking of Little Women, Margaret O'Brien always makes me cry, regardless of which role she was in.

I think it was those earnest little eyebrows. They had several little actresses like that in the 1940's, the one who died in Mildred Pierce,and Eva Lee Kuney who died in Penny Serenade.
Her face could make me cry without doing anything but smile.

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
georgiaboy:
quote:
Lots of hymns (and I mean LOTS) have bits that will start a tear for me; sometimes the power of the words, sometimes a remembered association or occasion...
Oh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! You've no idea how embarrassing it is, being British and liable to burst into tears halfway through singing a hymn...

Our amateur opera group did 'Nabucco' last year and half the time I was in tears during the Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves, too. I got a little lecture from the music director about how it wasn't all about death so there was no reason to cry, too. Silly idiot. It's about being homesick, and it's not like I was crying on purpose.

But I do get annoyed with films where a major character apparently dies... then there's a pause so all the audience can dissolve in tears... then Presumed Dead pops up as good as new to general rejoicing and the end credits roll. Yes, Walt Disney, I'm looking at YOU. It happens so often it's predictable. I usually can't stop myself shedding at least one tear and it is REALLY ANNOYING having my emotions so obviously manipulated.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think 'When she Loved me' from Toy Story 2 and the first five minutes of Up are notorious.

'Be still my soul, the Lord is on thy side' to Finlandia. Or just Finlandia, if it makes me think of the hymn which is usually does.

Bright Eyes from Watership Down, the film.

There is a bit in Gravity, where Bullock's character is asking Clooney's character to pass on a message to her son. It made both me and my wife cry.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Starbug said:
quote:
There's a piece of music on one of Amy Grant's Christmas albums called Gabriel's Oboe. I believe it comes from a film called The Mission, but I haven't seen it. The music is so mournful that I cry every time I hear it. Every December, I set my iPod to play Christmas music on shuffle while I'm driving; Gabriel's Oboe gets me every time.

Oh, my dear one, you haven't cried enough if you ever get to hear a chorus singing actual words to that tune! I'm not sure if the choral group I heard using words was the Los Angeles Gay Men's Chorus or the San Francisco Gay Men's Chorus but one of them sang a version of "Gabriel's Oboe" with words and and an oboe player and I had to get up and leave the auditorium because I was sobbing so hard I couldn't breathe. I have wanted to find a copy of that performance but it was way back in 1992 and I'm not sure what chorus sang it...anyway, the words weren't in English and the power of the music and words...just thinking of how beautiful and sad it was makes me tear up...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shadowlands, that movie about C.S. Lewis and Joy Davidman. C.S. Lewis is played by Anthony Hopkins and Joy Gresham is played by Debra Winder. The scene in the hospital room when Joy is dying...dear God, I watched that at the Cinerama in downtown Seattle with a friend of mine and we were both sobbing our eyes out and trying to pretend we weren't. The scene were Joy's son, either Douglas or David (I don't think the movie acknowledged that she had two sons) is in the room with his dying mother and everyone is trying to be brave...aaaaaaa!

And let's not forget the dreadfully depressing death of Debra Winger in "Terms of Endearment". What a sob fest! Again, any movie with someone dying prematurely or without making up with someone they hurt or who was hurt by someone else is always guaranteed to make me cry buckets.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another piece of music which has me snivelling is Radiohead's 'Exit Music (for a film)', used in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet [Frown]

And recently our organist told us we were singing Tchaikovsky's carol 'Crown of Roses' during Advent [Waterworks] ....beautiful!

I'll try and link it here

[ 16. September 2014, 14:35: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
But I do get annoyed with films where a major character apparently dies... then there's a pause so all the audience can dissolve in tears... then Presumed Dead pops up as good as new to general rejoicing and the end credits roll. Yes, Walt Disney, I'm looking at YOU. It happens so often it's predictable.

TV Tropes have called it a Disney Death for that reason!
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The end of Monsters Inc, when Sully looks round the door and his face just lights up.

The part in Lilo and Stitch where Stitch says, of the family: 'Little, and broken... but still good.' (Tearing up as I type it.)

[ 17. September 2014, 13:51: Message edited by: Peppone ]

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
And let's not forget the dreadfully depressing death of Debra Winger in "Terms of Endearment".

Oh yeah. When she tells her little boy that she knows he's mad at her now and that he'll feel bad about that later, but don't feel bad, because she knows he really, really loves her. Not only sad but the perfect thing to say to him to save a lot of guilt later. Sigh. "Terms of Emdearments," is one of my favorite books and movies. Larry McMurtry understands women like few male writers do.

Peppone
Marine
# 3855

- Posted      Profile for Peppone   Email Peppone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The end of this haka, when they fall silent and the hearse drives on:

2nd 1st farewell their fallen comrades...

--------------------
I looked at the wa's o' Glasgow Cathedral, where vandals and angels painted their names,
I was clutching at straws and wrote your initials, while parish officials were safe in their hames.

Posts: 3020 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
But I do get annoyed with films where a major character apparently dies... then there's a pause so all the audience can dissolve in tears... then Presumed Dead pops up as good as new to general rejoicing and the end credits roll. Yes, Walt Disney, I'm looking at YOU. It happens so often it's predictable.

TV Tropes have called it a Disney Death for that reason!
Shakespeare used it long before Disney --
Falstaff's "death" being one example.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Come, fill the Cup with the Brew that Cheers
And in the Fires of Autumn fling
The Garments of Unhappiness.
Let us be merry, dance and sing -
Can’t see that happening on this Thread
So – ‘tis Lock’t for now; alas, ‘tis Dead.

Ariel
Heaven Host

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016