homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How do you lick your eggs? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How do you lick your eggs?
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is making me hungry.

I haven't made fried bread in so long...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
I like my fried eggs sunny side up, runny yolk and cooked white, and crispy and lacy on the bottom.

Oh, Jade! You said some things on the feminist thread that shocked me a little but nothing like this. The egg you described is an egg ruined and should be given to the dog. No egg should have a rind.

To all the sunny side up, people -- that's a tasty egg but turning it "over easy," for two seconds keeps the yolk runny but cooks that clear film over the egg which is a bit "snotty," otherwise. Beware though, cooks in restaurants often turn it for three seconds and that starts to harden the yolk.

Question: I often come across characters in British books saying they're going to have, "an egg," for dinner. When we have eggs, the three of us usually use up a dozen and I would never bother to make less than three for myself, so is it true that dainty English sorts actually only eat one egg at a time?

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bacon, fried eggs, sausage, black pudding and mushrooms, and fresh crusty bread. Perhaps a blob or brown sauce but only after the runny bit if the yolks are gone.

No beans or tomatoes. Not keen on too much liquid.

After that's all gone maybe a slice or two of toast with just butter.

The bread must be British so not sweet, and the butter must be salted.

And a nice cup of tea.

So, who's going to come round my house to cook it for me? Because the mrs says I'm too fat and can't have any of it. Only half a grapefruit. Ooooooh!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry for the double post but I do like Delia's omelettes. No whisking, just a bit of a stir with a knife to break the yolks and merge them into the whites; pan as hot as you dare before burning the butter; eggs in and give them fifteen seconds or so so start setting; then start to shove the edges into the centre, letting raw batter run into the gap. Continue until no more batter runs into the gap.

Dump any cheese into the middle

Tip the lot onto a plate folding it over. If it takes more than a minute you have overcooked it. The cheese will melt by the time you have walked to the table and sat down.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Question: I often come across characters in British books saying they're going to have, "an egg," for dinner. When we have eggs, the three of us usually use up a dozen and I would never bother to make less than three for myself, so is it true that dainty English sorts actually only eat one egg at a time?

It has been known. I'm guessing it would be a boiled egg, possibly with some bread, cut up into fingers to dip into it, and some salt, to dip the eggy fingers into.

The Full English Breakfast when done properly is a joy that should ideally be served at a table on a sunny terrace, with a pot of really good, fragrant coffee. My perfect version will not include fried bread.

The Full English Breakfast From Hell, by contrast, is eaten in a windowless room and consists of bacon that shatters on impact with the fork, tinned tomatoes, rubbery tinned, sliced mushrooms, sausages with a thin leather coating, a well and truly fried egg with hard yolk, and fried bread. This is invariably served as hard, brown, crunchy and oozing grease. The toast will arrive cold and leathery halfway through breakfast. Serve with a cracked mug of stale instant coffee and a minuscule carton of artificial milk and the day is yours. If you are very lucky you may have the chance of a bowl of Shredded Cardboard to start.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For dinner is odd, I think. Dinner is the main meal, whether midday or evening according to class and locality. High Tea - the sort with a savoury dish, and sandwiches, and scones, and cake, not the dainty sort - or Supper - the sort which is a meal and not just a milky drink and biscuits - are where I would expect an egg. Boiled, poached, or fried on toast. With all the other stuff to eat, more than one egg would be too much.

I'm starting to fancy a poached egg on poached smoked haddock... with the yolk running down and mixing with the butter, and the juices mopped up with brown bread.

This is odd. The past few days I've had insomnia and feeling very under the weather, and unable to cook. I manage to eat half the amount of salad I usually do, and little else. But here I am waxing enthusiastic about food. (And on another site about comfort eating of bread and milk...)

And my weight is shooting up mysteriously. I can't eat any of the stuff I'm fantasising about, anyway.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The Full English Breakfast ... My perfect version will not include fried bread.

Then it is not really "Full" English. The type of bacon is important, it has to be back bacon, not streaky, cooked until the edges start to crispen and no more. Brown sauce to go with the black pudding is also a must. Eggs are the only variable, they can be fried, poached or scrambled, but never any of this Transatlantic over-easy thing.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I was to have an egg as a main meal it would usually be one egg poached and served on fish or ham or one or two eggs served in coconut masala. I would never have more than two, even if I was just having them on toast as a light lunch.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cool Hand Luke can eat fifty egg.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard 'an egg for your tea' - but never dinner. Where I come from, it's also possible to have The Pan for your tea. ('Tea' in this context is meal eaten about 6). In Ireland, we don't confine frying stuff to breakfast time. Besides the eggs, bacon, sausages, black pudding and tomatoes, there has to be fried potato bread. And soda farls and butter. And sweet soda bread with more butter and jam. And tea. And later in the evening, a cup in your hand. And some cake. Which will tide you over until breakfast, when you can get the pan out again.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scrambled egg on toast, which involves neither sharp knives nor boiling water, was the first meal we taught our kids to cook. Add a slice of cold ham between the toast and the egg, and some cheese grated over the top, followed by banana flan and - voila! The 8 year old had made the family dinner single-handedly.

Apart from that, though, I wouldn't think of eggs as a dinner dish.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't done my afternoon teas in a million years it seems. I need to do them again.

One thing I do is boil several eggs for seven minutes, then put them under very cold running water so they stop cooking, and when cool enough to peel, do so.

Then shave off just a tiny bit off the bottom of the large end of the egg, so it can be stood up on a plate. Arrange on plate this way as desired.

You can sprinkle a dash of something on top of each egg, like paprika or curry powder.

Put a small mound (a teaspoon or so) of appropriate tasty spice powders (tandoori, curry, etc.) on the plate or plates.

Then dip your egg as desired into said mounds of spice and eat. Each person may want their own wee spice-mounds.

The yolk should be not runny but kind of semi-solid and is absolutely wonderful.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as fried aggs go, it's definitely easy over for me. I like a runny yoke but I won't tolerate any uncooked white. After frying the bacon I fry my egg in the bacon fat.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
No beans or tomatoes. Not keen on too much liquid.

They both belong in the breakfast, I reckon. What I do is I build a barrier with the crust of the toast so that the bean juice doesn't go on the egg. I believe in keeping all the parts separate. I don't like it when people cut everything up and mix it all together.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
In Ireland, we don't confine frying stuff to breakfast time. Besides the eggs, bacon, sausages, black pudding and tomatoes, there has to be fried potato bread. And soda farls and butter. And sweet soda bread with more butter and jam. And tea. And later in the evening, a cup in your hand. And some cake. Which will tide you over until breakfast, when you can get the pan out again.

The Full English is never as good as the Full Irish. Fried bread or hash browns are no substitute for a good potato cake, hot from the pan, with butter melting into it and a sprinkling of salt on top, and a decent few slices of soda bread.

Potato cakes and fried eggs are a good breakfast in themselves as well.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Full English Breakfast when done properly is a joy that should ideally be served at a table on a sunny terrace, with a pot of really good, fragrant coffee.

Heresy! English breakfast must be served with tea.

( [Biased] )

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Weight dropping again. I have an interim target - when reached I will allow myself a breakfast. Until then I must just imagine all that butter.
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Er, yes. More than one egg for a meal is quite a lot. I'm guessing you're exaggerating a bit - that'd be four eggs each if you had a dozen between three [Eek!]
Maybe when I was a student eaten anything else for a day or two, and I was feeling like being gross and unhealthy I might have two fried eggs & chips.

[Disclaimer: you asked about English sorts. I don't know about them, I'm Scottish, but I guess they're probably similar in that regard anyway, as far as I can tell from living in England for years]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Mind you, if you order an omelette when eating out, chances are it will be made with 3-4 eggs.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
]Er, yes. More than one egg for a meal is quite a lot.

And of course in France you'd only have one egg because there one egg is ...drumroll...un oeuf!
Taxi for Albertus

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Full English! Soda farls! 3 egg omelettes!

Sorry, got to dash to the kitchen, craving, ah, constant craving.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Thanks to this thread, I travelled to work this morning wanting beans on toast with a couple of rashers on the side.
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
When I am home and am faced with the traditional Scottish cardiac breakfast, they are always "sunny side up", but you never hear that phrase there. Or do you?

The only time I have ever heard the phrase "sunny side up" used in the UK was in a US hotel chain. In this country fried eggs are sunny side up by default; I am not sure what would happen if you asked for it to be turned over and cooked on the other side.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
The only time I have ever heard the phrase "sunny side up" used in the UK was in a US hotel chain. In this country fried eggs are sunny side up by default; I am not sure what would happen if you asked for it to be turned over and cooked on the other side.

I always ask for mine "over easy" (flipped over briefly). I sometimes get funny looks at English B&Bs, but they've always been happy to oblige -- probably shaking their heads (once back in the kitchen) at the strange things these Americans do.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Er, yes. More than one egg for a meal is quite a lot. I'm guessing you're exaggerating a bit - that'd be four eggs each if you had a dozen between three [Eek!]
Maybe when I was a student eaten anything else for a day or two, and I was feeling like being gross and unhealthy I might have two fried eggs & chips.

[Disclaimer: you asked about English sorts. I don't know about them, I'm Scottish, but I guess they're probably similar in that regard anyway, as far as I can tell from living in England for years]

Two eggs with chips or ham/gammon and chips is just the norm, not gross and definitely not unhealthy. The chips, maybe [Biased]

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Canada, she says, looking left and right for backup, two eggs is the default for a breakfast serving of eggs and certainly would be the norm for an all day breakfast, ie. breakfast meal served at lunch and supper time.

Often there is also an option with only one slice of toast, one sausage or two strips of bacon, and one egg. It is most commonly on the seniors' section of the menu or given as a lighter option for those who are dieting.

I've never cooked only one egg except one time when I made a soft boiled egg to go with toast for someone else who was sick.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:
quote:

When we have eggs, the three of us usually use up a dozen and I would never bother to make less than three for myself, so is it true that dainty English sorts actually only eat one egg at a time?

Two eggs with chips or ham/gammon and chips is just the norm, not gross and definitely not unhealthy. The chips, maybe [Biased]
Thank you, Jade. All is forgiven.

Yes actually, no exaggeration; son has four, hubs has three, I have three, two go into the French toast the men have with theirs. I have three eggs and two slices wheat toast with a little butter for a total of about 400 calories. Hardly a gross fattening meal and we only have it one night a week. (None of us eat breakfast, ever.)

Thinking about this, my mother grew up on a farm and said her older brothers usually ate five eggs a piece when they came in from the early chores. I do think Americans eat bigger portions ofjust about everything than most British and it may be due to less variety per meal and less meals.

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:
Here in Canada, she says, looking left and right for backup, two eggs is the default for a breakfast serving of eggs and certainly would be the norm for an all day breakfast, ie. breakfast meal served at lunch and supper time.

Yes, the norm for breakfast in a Canadian restaurant (often called a "chef's special") is 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast, choice of sausages, bacon or ham, and home fries (potatoes). A "hungry man", or similarly worded, breakfast would be 3 eggs, 3 slices of toast, sausages, bacon AND ham, and home fries.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
In Ireland, we don't confine frying stuff to breakfast time. Besides the eggs, bacon, sausages, black pudding and tomatoes, there has to be fried potato bread. And soda farls and butter. And sweet soda bread with more butter and jam. And tea. And later in the evening, a cup in your hand. And some cake. Which will tide you over until breakfast, when you can get the pan out again.

The Full English is never as good as the Full Irish. Fried bread or hash browns are no substitute for a good potato cake, hot from the pan, with butter melting into it and a sprinkling of salt on top, and a decent few slices of soda bread.

Potato cakes and fried eggs are a good breakfast in themselves as well.

This sounds remarkably like the Full Ulster Fry, but which featured soda farls, and was known to feature the occasional kidney. The tea was made so as to double as a rawhide tanning agent, and milk (preferably from the cow and not a dairy) might colour it slightly.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by lily pad:

Yes, the norm for breakfast in a Canadian restaurant (often called a "chef's special") is 2 eggs, 2 slices of toast, choice of sausages, bacon or ham, and home fries (potatoes). A "hungry man", or similarly worded, breakfast would be 3 eggs, 3 slices of toast, sausages, bacon AND ham, and home fries.
Ah, too true. I forgot about the hungry man. Often pancakes are an option in place of the toast too. Funnily enough, since this thread started, I have had eggs three days in a row - fried over easy, egg salad sandwich, and scrambled.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I had to look up soda farls because I kept reading it wrong and thinking it was something that might happen if one drank one's bicarb too fast.

These lovely farls seem to be like buttermilk biscuits only cooked in a pan instead of the oven. Handy for days when it's too hot to turn on the oven!

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
This sounds remarkably like the Full Ulster Fry, but which featured soda farls, and was known to feature the occasional kidney. The tea was made so as to double as a rawhide tanning agent, and milk (preferably from the cow and not a dairy) might colour it slightly.

I never had soda farls in Dublin - they might be a Northern Irish thing. The first time I ever had them was a few years ago when they appeared on sale here in English supermarkets. Soda bread made an appearance for a while, but now seems to have gone again along with brack.

The Really Full Irish contains all the items I've mentioned plus black pudding and white pudding.

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Homer Simpson voice]

Ummm white pudding

[/Homer Simpson voice]

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Newfoundland, at any bed and breakfast or restaurant that's not of a popular chain - you'll get the full English or the full Irish, sometimes a combination of the both. Some mornings all I want is two pieces of toast, a boiled egg and blood pudding just for to taste. There's nothing better than being like a child an cutting your toast into strips to put into the yolk.

I was absolutely beyond myself when I went into an A&W and found their breakfast was just two toast, two egg, and bacon. It wasn't even proper bacon, just a few strips of skin hauled off the poor pig and shoved onto a pan. Whate'eer.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Been watching the 14 hour documentary on PBs, "The Roosevelts."

Teddy Roosevelt is said to have eaten a dozen eggs every morning.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ostrich eggs take hours to cook.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016