homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Unexpected Compensations of Ageing (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Unexpected Compensations of Ageing
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
What about talking to yourself? I do that all the time and quite often refer to myself in the process as "we": "So, what are we going to do today then?"

That's one of the many advantages of having a dog. I can discuss things with her, which seems so much more sensible than talking to myself. [Smile]
I find that blaming my cat for misplacing my "stuff" works wonderfully. Within moments of my looking at him sternly and announcing, "Where is my _____? I know you hid it. You're just that kind of cat", the item appears. It's magic! [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I blame my cats for everything. Now that the children have moved out, it is very convenient.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rowen:

Not needing to go out on weekend nights.

I can't recall ever needing to go out on weekend nights.

I sometimes went out at the weekend, but didn't feel that I was missing anything if I didn't.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am on the downhill side of 70 and I find it a joy to just not care. You don't like something I said, I don't care, the blouse is not the best color for my skin, I don't care, One should not eat ice cream for breakfast, I don't care. And the wonderful list goes on and on. [Biased]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am on the downhill side of 70 and I find it a joy to just not care. You don't like something I said, I don't care, the blouse is not the best color for my skin, I don't care, One should not eat ice cream for breakfast, I don't care. And the wonderful list goes on and on. [Biased]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And you can post twice [Big Grin]
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:

Absolutely agree. But I don't care whether I agree with you or not.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the feeling of being released from having to do anything or feel responsible for anything.

Hot political issues? Saving whales? Wind Farms v Fracking or returning to a pre-electric age?

There is nothing much I can do, and no-one is interested in my opinions.

I can leave it to the youngsters to worry about and exhaust themselves over.

And it is so wonderful not to have to worry about a career or finding or keeping a job, or paying a mortgage.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being able to lie in like a teenager. Or get up early and throw on trousers and a jacket over my nightwear and do gardening before breakfast. (Cleared a load of Creeping Jenny and planted bulbs and primroses today.)
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just watched the trailer for "My Old Lady," which opens tomorrow -- two of my very favorites, Maggie Smith AND Kevin Kline. [Yipee]

Anyway, at about 1:00 Maggie declares, "I'm 90. Subtlety is not something that interests me." I love it!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Giving up the unavailing attempt to be perfectly turned out, slim, with thick hair...

So much easier just to be me.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
as several other men on this thread have said with equal pleasure, I have not worn a tie since I retired from a job where that was required. Spending most of my time since then in the tropics meant that as a bonus, I could wear shorts and sandals instead.

Now "retired" for the second time ("for how long? asks my wife, now herself also retired) and savouring also

> being a grandparent - lots of love shared but almost no responsibility (since I can hand the kids back!)
> being able to do things on the day of the week and the time of day that best suits me.
> if some task gets delayed by a few days: who cares?

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone's done a graph, of happiness over a lifetime. It appears that there is a peak around nine years old, when you have achieved more or less most of the skills you need to function at a child level. The onset of puberty heads the graph downhill. Marriage and (crucially) the arrival of children actually makes the happiness line go down even more, and things apparently bottom out in the late 40s. But then after that things start turning up. (The kids leave! So cheering!) Fifty and sixty-year-olds are as happy as nine-year-olds, until old-old age and its debilities start to erode contentment once again.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see the graph, if you know where it is from.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I threw the phrase "happiness graph over lifetime" into google and many images kicked up. Also this: http://economics.com.au/?p=9239

And this: http://www.economist.com/node/17722567
And this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990956/

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No hassle when you walk past building sites.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's always something to talk about, because you forget the conversations from 30 minutes ago!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my bleeding eyes! * pop in to find out what * have to look forward to, only to find the thread infested with Comic sans. Truly a cruel jape by our lovely H&As

[Help]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Faced with a gorgeous young physiotherapist * can imagine he's my grandson.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Faced with a gorgeous young physiotherapist * can imagine he's my grandson.

GG

Granny, how did you know I was, or had been, a physiotherapist? And I'm only 81!

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having a nephew. He is the sole grandchild of my late parents and is now in his early twenties. We had a long talk on the phone tonight about computers as I've just connected to broadband. He gave me some useful technical info then proceeded to tell me what a dangerous place the internet could be. I felt like a teenager being given advice by mum before going into the city alone for the first time. It was weird, but sweet.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you get older, people stop thinking you're weird for not liking clubbing or partying. Preferring to stay home is no longer 'sad' or boring - lots of people prefer it as they get older!

Also, as someone who has never wanted to have children, people have stopped bugging me about it and trying to pursuade me that I'm wrong or that I'll regret it, now I'm older.

Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fineline:
Also, as someone who has never wanted to have children, people have stopped bugging me about it and trying to pursuade me that I'm wrong or that I'll regret it, now I'm older.

Exactly!
[Overused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dog Dad
Apprentice
# 18238

- Posted      Profile for Dog Dad   Email Dog Dad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can dress as warmly and unfashionably as I want. Being shaved bald, I can wear a hat and never have to think about what my hair looks like afterward. I can avoid situations that I've already experienced.

Another Comp is getting to talk to my parents on equal footing...I truly get to appreciate them as people with wants and needs and private thoughts and I am enjoying them immensely.

Routine. I love routine. I love the satisfied sigh my body makes as it eases into the recliner after work.

--------------------
Bacon Diem! (I hate Carp)

Posts: 6 | From: Peekskill, NY | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can address younger women under 40 as girls because of my white hair!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I can address younger women under 40 as girls because of my white hair!

Only if you want to appear patronizing.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016