homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Things to do while invisible

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Things to do while invisible
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Idle question: what would you do if you were invisible for a while (and could control it)?

Be a fly on the wall somewhere?
Play practical jokes?
Perform mysterious acts of charity?
Visit the nearest all-you-can-eat and leave without paying?
Go for a drive (and freak out the people you pass)?

Something else?

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Practical jokes for me but I suspect that I would soon get bored with it.

Is this question Dr Who inspired?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can think of a few people to whom I would hand out the hardest kicks up the arse I could physically manage - whilst wearing my cricket spikes. But them I'm currently channelling some vindictive little bastard.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd no doubt turn into LC the spy (with regards to Certain People I'm still having a helluva time forgiving) and that would be very bad for me. Meh.

On the other hand, I'd have a great time walking around in the altogether because nobody could catch me at it.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of fly-on-the-wall stuff, and then, if I could get a couple of my friends to be invisible as well, we would go and deliver some chaotic karma to someone who is currently playing Ms Lovely in public whilst playing quite a different tune to a bunch of people who can't do anything about it without it looking like sour grapes.

Might have a bit of fun on the London train en route to the chaotic karma too...

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be wrong to assassinate a few deserving folk? I'd be sorely tempted.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plant a bug, or baby monitor in the parliamentary barbershop and beauty salon. I would also rearrange the furniture at night in the homes of everyone who ever pissed me off. And change sugar for salt on their tables. I'm not mature enough to think beyond my 10 year old self.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Produce inexplicable miraculous happenings in uptight, doctinaire cessationist churches.
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go for a bike ride through the town.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

From the behavior of a lot of drivers, I'd say you're wasting your gift. You're already invisible to them if you're on a bike.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Play poltergeist, as and where needed.

No Prophet, we have similar ideas. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very few people would be dead.

A few others would be slowly - but not too slowly - driven to madness because they could no longer trust what they knew.

A number of others would receive unexpected gifts from people who didn't even know they had given them.

And, of course, the girls changing rooms would be haunted.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just can't think of anything I'd want to be invisible for. Is this the definition of an extrovert?

Cattyish, off to walk the dog in skanky clothing without any shame whatsoever.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In one of Plato's dialogues, an unscrupulous hypothetical character makes himself invisible in order to seduce a woman. I've still never quite worked that one out.

I'm a naturally curious person (probably in both the objective and subjective senses of the word), so the temptation for me would be to use invisibility for inquiry and observation (not snooping or spying, no: inquiry and observation...)

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would definitely go in for a haunting. Think of the scene from Ghost when Sam is tormenting his former colleague by pushing furniture around and typing on his computer.

Though if I could sabotage anything right now, it would be the auto-prompts at the Tory party conference. [Snigger]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The difficulty would be gaining access to the interesting places you want to be invisible in ...
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

And, of course, the girls changing rooms would be haunted.....

I'd drive down to one of our local motor racing venues in a borrowed Ferrari in the middle of the night and do some laps!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
From the behavior of a lot of drivers, I'd say you're wasting your gift. You're already invisible to them if you're on a bike.

I was going to say. Getting on a bike's a brilliant way of becoming invisible.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would huddle under my bed, in the dark, wearing as many bits of clothing that would fit and covered in blankets, the duvet and a tarpoline. And on the mobile to a psychologist.

Naughty Ariel, you are not getting me to walk around starkers in public.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
The difficulty would be gaining access to the interesting places you want to be invisible in ...

Examples? I'd think that sneaking in on the heels of security would work in a lot of cases.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Karl

I am pretty sure that if you decided to cycle naked then the bike would very quickly loose its invisibility capabilities.

Sorry my mind is mixing yours and LilBuddha's posts.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I would do at the would be distinctly u heavenly.

But it would leave one hell of a locked room mystery

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Karl

I am pretty sure that if you decided to cycle naked then the bike would very quickly loose its invisibility capabilities.

Jengie

Such is Ariel's intent, at least, methinks. One act in a play of mischief?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
I just can't think of anything I'd want to be invisible for.

I want to go to expensive exhibitions without having to pay or queue for them. It would be ideal for that. Could be good for theatre and cinema too.

On the same grounds, free travel on public transport for the duration. No worries about expensive fares or time restrictions, I would simply vault over the ticket barriers and limp onto the train, what the hell, Orient Express, or maybe even plane of my choice.

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You couldn't take a seat at any of those - someone else might want it.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

True, but once a few people had found themselves mysteriously sat upon by an invisible force, and deduced the seat was haunted, it would be all mine.

(Btw - yes. It was Doctor Who inspired. I don't think Danny made any good use of that watch.)

[ 29. September 2014, 20:50: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
You couldn't take a seat at any of those - someone else might want it.

But being invisible, giving them a shock when they sit down would be hilarious!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In these days of thermal imaging, you really need to be immaterial to get the fun you used to have just by being invisible.

BTW, what happened to the idea that to be invisible what you need is a perfectly black cloak?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:

Examples? I'd think that sneaking in on the heels of security would work in a lot of cases.
I was thinking more private residences.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Karl

Jengie

If I cycled naked along Bochum Parkway in February something would soon be invisible...

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Produce inexplicable miraculous happenings in uptight, doctinaire cessationist churches.

I approve of this plan.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

I was going to say. Getting on a bike's a brilliant way of becoming invisible.
At the risk of being serious on a heavenly thread there are actually genuine reasons why you become 'invisible' on a bike! This explains further.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd go through all those inviting doors marked No Admittance just to see what was on the other side of them.

/tangent
My grandmother used to do this, using the unique invisibility of little old ladies. She'd get a twinkle in her eye, say, "I wonder what's behind there," and off she'd go. When she'd get caught, as she always did, she'd pretend to be confused and lost and helpful security guard would bring her back to us. She got to see all kinds of cool stuff that way. [Big Grin] /tangent

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
BTW, what happened to the idea that to be invisible what you need is a perfectly black cloak?

I think it went away with the opera assumption that if you wear a mask, no-one has any way of telling who you are, and the Shakespeare assumption that if a woman puts her hair up, there is no way to tell she's isn't a guy.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A reasonable, albeit dishonest, choice might be to sneak into movie theaters without paying. Of course, it might then be difficult to obtain popcorn.
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HCH:
A reasonable, albeit dishonest, choice might be to sneak into movie theaters without paying. Of course, it might then be difficult to obtain popcorn.

You could help yourself to other people's popcorn.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Come to think of it, being invisible would be an ideal attribute for a security guard in a supermarket. You could walk up behind someone who's about to shoplift a packet of biscuits, they turn, unnerved by the sound of footsteps in an apparently empty aisle, but decide to continue, at which point you breathe warmly down their neck and in a sepulchral voice, intone, "This is the voice of your conscience. Put... that... baaaaaackkkk...."
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Being invisible is less useful in todays crowds. Still it would be nice to walk through the woods and watch the birds. This assumes you are sound proof as well.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I'd watch people shower and giggle at them. when they get out, I'd leave cryptic messages in the steam on their mirrors.

also: I want to grow up to be Bess's Gran.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016