homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Coffee (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Coffee
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They sell it bottles at Trader Joe.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard of them.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Have any of you heard anything about cold brewed coffee or cold brewed tea ?

And I'm slightly addicted to it; my local roastery sells it in growlers to go, as do a few other places around here. It works best if you use a slightly more acidic, brighter bean—the stuff I drink is a Columbian, but other Central Americans work quite well—since the process enhances that, but doesn't bring out the earthy/dark flavors you might find in an Ethiopian or Sumatran.

It tends to be a bit stronger in my experience; a 36-hour brewed bottle will be about time-and-a-half as strong as usual pour over or filter, and 32 ounces is about a cup too much for me to finish in a morning.

That's saying something.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:

Some of the best coffee on the market at the moment is Ethopian Sidamo (aka Sidama)

And the Yirgacheffes. Also the Mandheling, Ankola, and Lintong from Sumatra.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For real fun, try a shot of espresso poured into (Mexican/British) Coke. No, really. This is what happens when you drink coffee with baristas. It will taste nothing at all like anything you would have expected—very herbal and leafy, not like either coffee or Coke.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Bearing that mind porlex hand grinders seem to be the way to go.

The Hario Mini Mill is nice.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have any of you heard anything about cold brewed coffee or cold brewed tea ?

No. What is it? Do you heat it up or drink it cold?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems you steep in cold water for about 12 hours, then filter and dilute hot or cold to taste. I found another blog that recommended, instead, filtering coffee using hot water but into a cup half full of ice. So I am trying that this morning with my bacon sandwiches, using this
this kind o thing.

Cold brew is supposed to make the coffee less acidic.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find myself unconvinced by filtering over ice.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I found another blog that recommended, instead, filtering coffee using hot water but into a cup half full of ice.

Standard practice in Spain, ask for Cafe con hielo. Recommended.

The Spanish also drink Cafe bonbon. Which is coffee sweetened with condensed milk. Not recommended.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
It seems you steep in cold water for about 12 hours, then filter and dilute hot or cold to taste.

Cold brew is supposed to make the coffee less acidic.

1. Try 36 hours, and don't cut it, at least for the first cup. It's not quite as concentrated as some might have you believe, though it can make a good iced coffee if that's really your thing.

2. The acid thing is…complicated. I find that it enhances the acidity more than it lessens it—that is, I notice the bright, twangy flavors more, the darker, "bass notes" less—but cuts its harshness. If you find Central American coffees too acidic, try a 24-to-36 hour steeping; the flavors will be more pronounced, but without the sharpness you'd expect.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this referred to The Ink Spots singing about the 'Java jive' [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Doublethink,

Regarding bean choice for cold-brewed coffee, go with a more full-bodied variety. Sumatran, Brazillian or Sidamo as examples. Cold-brew loses across the flavour profile, both high and low. Stay away from the South American beans (excepting Brazil), they start thinner and will end even more so.
The addition of nutmeg, ginger, coconut or cinnamon makes for a wonderful hot-weather drink.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Well, I blame you all for my dropping all my wordly wealth in Whittards, the adjustable burr grinder, the stovetop expresso maker - its all your fault.

And there will be a breakfast drawer in my bedroom - right after I get this.

[ 05. October 2014, 15:48: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm this seems a bit over the top!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Jengie

Just sent that to my husband, he designs Smart meters and similar sensory technologies but I really think he needs to move into this area [Biased]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband worked for a computer firm once which had the coffee machines hooked up to the building water systems. In other words, coffee was on tap.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Do I have to reference HTCPCP? Yes, I think I do.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, a Cantabrigian protocol, he should be familiar with that then.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Bearing that mind porlex hand grinders seem to be the way to go.

The Hario Mini Mill is nice.
Indeed, it has been very good, and I would strongly recommend. It does allow you to adjust the fineness of the grind too [Smile]

I find the grinding therapeutic, if you wanted to do it for more than one or two people though - i think you might want to go electric.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So now I'm pretty convinced about the grinder too. Damn you all. I'm almost decided to buy myself an aeropress too.

Clever coffee people; does this sound like a good deal, or a waste of money?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Reviews of the aeropress appear mixed, i think this is beautiful. But I decided I couldn't justify the expense.

I did pick up a little one of
these though. Very nice and quick.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of cold-brewed coffee because I read Serious Eats (even though I really mis SE Talk, sigh), but it's not available in the UK afaik.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You can cold-brew it yourself; it is not difficult.

--------------------

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of cream and sugar. If there's no cream then I'd rather drink it black. In fact, I used to drink coffee black until I went in the army. The coffee wasn't great so I started using cream to make it more drinkable. Sugar us a latter addition which I put down to middle age. Pet hates when it comes to coffee is the use of skimmed milk (utterly pointless) and coffee snobs and people who insist that latte or cappucino is a morning only coffee.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
We get the Café du Monde coffee/chicory stuff and drink it Vietnamese style, dripped through one of those individual metal cup top thingies, and sweetened with condensed milk. Over ice is best, but hot is okay.

I should get that again. Do not have one of those individual thingies.

Mainly I drink coffee (alas, it's been mainly whatever is cheapest, usually the store brand; sometimes Folger's is on sale. This is not by choice but due to finances) with milk and artificial sweetener. Cubby likes his with half and half instead of milk.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by TheAlethiophile:

Some of the best coffee on the market at the moment is Ethopian Sidamo (aka Sidama)

And the Yirgacheffes. Also the Mandheling, Ankola, and Lintong from Sumatra.
Aggghhhhh I miss good interesting coffee now so much.

Please open soon, local Trader Joe's.

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought an Aeropress earlier this year and I really like it. Quick, simple, nice coffee (depending on what we have in the cupboard/fridge and easy to clean.
Haven't quite got to the "grind it myself" stage...yet.

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

The grinding is quite therapetic, and only takes as long as it does for a kettle to boil.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I've just bought an Aeropress and the grinder lilBuddha mentioned.

Once it drops through my letterbox, I'll be on the hunt for nice coffees. I'm still not sure about whether that internet coffee delivery I mentioned in this post is worth it.

What're your recommendations for coffees to try? I like strong and dark coffees - and I'll be looking for a really good caffeine hit from the one I drink in the morning on the way out. I identified a lot with Comet's "I don't want bright when I need coffee. I need a coffee that commiserates with my dark, grouchyass self" upthread.

I might drink it black or white, depending on whether I've bothered or remembered to buy milk, but I don't have the stuff to make frothy milk or the patience to make warmed up milk or anything, so I won't be making latte or cappuccino.

A friend of a friend gave me a cup of an Ethiopian blend that I can't remember the name of - very dark and earthy and strong. Liked that.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luvvandaisies, should they be moderately flush, might want to try a few of the Ethiopians. I am fond of Yergatcheff but there are others and I tried about four when ploughing through a volume of Ethiopian church history, hoping that the caffeine would keep me awake through skimming the chapter on parish council reforms of 1972.

I once worked with an opinionated colleague of Ethiopian provenance who once walked by my little office carrel and entered my workspace crying "I smelled Ethiopian coffee!" When I told her that I was drinking Harrar, she announced that it was: "perfumed and elegant, so excellent, so subtle, so unlike the people of Harrar."

Tasting notes for comparing coffees, while perhaps pretentious (all right, they're pretentious), do help the memory so that, when assailed by the world we can enter a shop and order (e.g.) the yergatcheff, because that's what we need that day.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cardews of Oxford do mail order. Their stuff is good (and as you walk past their shop in the Covered Market, the rich aroma of the coffee wafts out at you from a yard away). You could do worse than browse their catalogue and see if anything appeals: it will be fresh, and good quality.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Genuine mocha coffee is good.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

I decided to get at least Chock Full Of Nuts coffee the other day. We've been going for the cheapest generic store brand too much for too long.

But I really want Trader Joe's.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

Tasting notes for comparing coffees, while perhaps pretentious (all right, they're pretentious),

I do not think the practice itself pretentious. It is just that many pretentious people use the practice.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

This shows how I feel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkL-0KF38vA

--------------------

Ahleal V
Shipmate
# 8404

- Posted      Profile for Ahleal V     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst I realise I'm very late to this party, can I commend the Clever Filter? (May be cheaper elsewhere.) It's a slow drip filter which (aside from the occasional droplet) is a convenient little thing to have next to your desk/cubicle. I used to be a moka pot person, but this has utterly converted me. The coffee is black, not very thick, but full of flavour, which changes depending on how much coffee you use, how quickly your pour over the water, how long you let it infuse. I can - and do - drink it all day.

In comparison, I tried french press coffee for the first time in ages last weekend, and it felt like I was drinking mud.

May I also be so bold as to suggest (if you're UK based) the amazing Pact Coffee - more expensive than the supermarket, but definitely worth it.

x

AV

Posts: 499 | From: English Spires | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And they have this offer on at the moment!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016