homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ringtones

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ringtones
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recently I was sitting in a waiting room when someone's mobile phone went off:

"Want a cappucino? Want a cappucino? Want a capp-"

which made everybody smile.

We've all made choices on what to have for a ringtone - did you go for practicality, ease of audibility, your favourite tune, or something distinctive?

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Factory setting does me well.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has to start loud for on call days at work and be distinctive enough so I know it's mine. It has been the Gloria from Handel's Dixit Dominus. Currently it's Jai Ho, the AR Rahman version used in Slumdog Millionnaire.

Cattyish.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my colleagues once recorded her (very) little boy saying "Mummy, your phone's ringing" as her ringtone. It was cute the first time you heard it but a year or so later it just grated.

Mine is set to a good old-fashioned ringing phone at the moment, but I did have The bear necessities for a while.

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum has my brother-in-law's old phone. He's a bit of a geek, so his message tone had Yoda saying, "message from the dark side, you have" and my mum, being technologically less apt than average, hasn't worked out how to change it.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
leftfieldlover
Shipmate
# 13467

- Posted      Profile for leftfieldlover         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have got a strange up-tempo version of 'I do like to be besides the sea-side' on mine. I used to have what sounded like an alien space-craft landing nearby, but husband was freaked out by it!

--------------------
I can gauge your mood from your approach to food.

Posts: 164 | From: oxford | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the anthem of the province of Groningen (from the Netherlands).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For family, my ringtone is "The Addams Family", except for my sister (and one friend) it's "Curse of the Black Pearl". You can't tell my brother-in-law, as he and my sister have had a play battle over her infatuation with Jack Sparrow for years. [Devil]

For the rest of y'all it's Mozart's "Dies Irae" from his Requiem. Well, except for my musician friends who have various Bach pieces!

Way back in the day, I had to create my own ringtones, since the ones that came with my original iPhone didn't have anything I liked.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was on a busy, quite quiet commuter train one evening when the sound effect from the shower scene from Psycho sounded from someone's phone, it raised a lot of smiles.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just the default for most contacts, but Addams Family for family and St Trinian's for my daughters. I used to have Send in the Clowns for church contacts but that got lost the last time I played with the settings nad I haven't bothered to put it back.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am boring, and tend to stick with the default. My wife used to have one that was someone a bit like the crazy from but less irritating, going "a ring ring ring a ding ding", which was quite embarrassing when it went of in a quiet prayer time.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a braying donkey for calls and Eric Idle saying, "I want to be a woman" for text messages.

The first has gone off in the church prayer meeting, and the latter when people were queueing for communion in church. I must remember to switch to flight mode. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The old Doctor Who theme! What me, a geek? No,no, no!

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't got it, but would love to have the saxophone solo from "Baker Street"

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For calls mine is Billy Currington's Pretty Good at Drinking Beer. For text messages is Rehab's version of The Bartender Song and for pics/vidoes it's Rockin' the Beer Gut by Trailer Choir.

Yes, there's a theme going on there [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
The old Doctor Who theme! What me, a geek? No,no, no!

Oh, man! I would LOVE to have that! Where'd you acquire your's?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bach--Jesu joy of man's desiring for calls, and for alarms, what else? Sleepers Awake.

[ 13. October 2014, 02:00: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a mad day about a year or so ago and downloaded loads of themes - for alarms, as reported elsewhere earlier, I have Ride of the Valkyries and for calls I am currently using a Panchavadya [local Kerala temple music] theme - both set on maximum volume as my hearing ain't what it used to be.

eta: overnight my phone rests in a steel tumbler so the alarm sound is really powerful!

[ 13. October 2014, 04:16: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leftfieldlover:
I used to have what sounded like an alien space-craft landing nearby, but husband was freaked out by it!

TARDIS sound for me ... always fun to watch people's reactions.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bene Gesserit:
Mine is set to a good old-fashioned ringing phone at the moment

I find this - or anything approximating what I expect a ringing phone to sound like - to be increasingly hard to find in the plethora of ringtone options that are indistinguishable from other potential noise sources.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:

Now that would be cool. [Smile]

PS Thanks for the earworm! [Big Grin]

[ 13. October 2014, 15:07: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:

Now that would be cool. [Smile]

PS Thanks for the earworm! [Big Grin]

[Snigger]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Shields up" and the siren from Star Trek, the original series. No-one else has it, so I'm never reaching for a phone when someone else's is ringing.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight as I left the station there was the sound of a cow mooing.

I looked around and sure enough it turned out to be somebody's mobile phone.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At handbell rehearsal tonight, I heard bells ringing the wrong tune. It was E6-F6's cell!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Tonight as I left the station there was the sound of a cow mooing.

I looked around and sure enough it turned out to be somebody's mobile phone.

DIL had something similar some years ago. The longer she took to answer the phone, the more frantic the mooing became.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wednesbury
Apprentice
# 14097

- Posted      Profile for Wednesbury   Email Wednesbury   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Bach--Jesu joy of man's desiring for calls, and for alarms, what else? Sleepers Awake.

I used to have Ich ruf zu dir (=I'm calling you) but after years of missing calls because it was too quiet, I've reluctantly reverted to one of the factory settings.
Posts: 13 | From: The Marsh Lands | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016