homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who's doing what for Hallowe'en? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who's doing what for Hallowe'en?
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
And oh, Kelly - a psycho bunny!

That's the spirit.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank goodness the halloween extravaganza hasn't taken off here despite some of the supermarkets trying to flog garish looking stuff. There are even pumpkins which contain nothing edible - what a waste! I am very partial to a piece of pumpkin roasted with the Sunday roast dinner. To me, All Souls and All Saints are days when we think of and honour those who have died, some famous, many that we loved. I can't see what witches and ghouls have to do with such memorials.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll be on an island in the Amazon River from Wednesday until probably Saturday. No trick or treat for me, I'll probably be drinking a beer looking out over the river before I'll go to sleep in my hammock.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did anyone else just think about the episode of Buffy where everyone's favorite vengeance demon dresses up as a giant bunny and Giles has to use a chain saw to break into the house where the party is?

I was lucky enough to be on the tail end of the group who was allowed to accept home-made treats from the neighbors we knew. So there were lots of home-made candy apples and cookies and things. Although there was that one neighbor who was a dentist and gave out tooth-brushes. Lots of people who gave out boxes of raisins. Some pennies. If someone didn't have anything to give out you either told them a riddle or did your best stupid human trick for them because if they weren't participating it was probably because they couldn't afford to.

I miss the way it used to be.

Don't know what my current neighborhood is going to do or what I'll be doing. Though having read the Witch Who Was Afraid of Witches recently, the classic witch or ghost thing is tempting.

I'm fairly certain I still have a black light around here somewhere. But not necessarily any scary posters to light with it.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Thank goodness the halloween extravaganza hasn't taken off here despite some of the supermarkets trying to flog garish looking stuff.

Perhaps the Dia de los Muertos approach will become more popular, then. [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've sort of started the ofrenda with a couple of skull candle holders and a sort of happy-spooky metal candle holder between them. It's a start, anyway. (Since Cubby is still room-ridden, neither of us are spending much time in the living room.)

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
Thank goodness the halloween extravaganza hasn't taken off here despite some of the supermarkets trying to flog garish looking stuff.

Perhaps the Dia de los Muertos approach will become more popular, then. [Smile]
I hope so. I can't wait for Sunday to attend the local Dia de los Muertos celebration. [Yipee]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Maybe I should put the ofrenda in Cubby's room...? We're hoping he will improve quickly but still.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My one concession to seasonality was to go round the exhibition on The Gothic Imagination at the BL. All the usual suspects, from Otranto onwards. But, still, to see a page of the ms of Frankenstein in Mary Shelley's handwriting, with marginal notes by Percy Bysshe....
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I was a kid back in the seventies, I really enjoyed Halloween. Dressing up like monsters and wizards was great fun.

I have read that it is a Christianized feast initially influenced by Celtic harvest festivals,with possible pagan roots (i.e. Samhain.)

But I have also heard that many Christianized feasts contain elements of pagan traditions: Easter eggs, Xmas trees etc.

That does not make the holiday pagan, in my opinion.

In fact I have also read that Halloween developed independently of Samhain and has solely Christian roots: i.e the day before All Saints and All Souls.

While I lived in Japan, Halloween was celebrated by kids who had little knowledge of either Christian or Western European Pagan traditions: it was merely a commercial event with a spooky theme akin to a ghost train in Disneyland.

As for the "It's American". Well it has certainly been influenced by America but its origins celarlyprecede that.

Personally, I think people reagard it on their own terms and as they wish to. Certain elements of the Christian community seemed to regard it as spiritually dangerous but I disagree. No more than Harry Potter, Sleepy Hollow or the Italian Carnivale tradition in February.

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! [Yipee]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Happy Halloween to all!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
First year in about 10, no snow on Halloween. It's actually above freezing! Lots more trickers and treaters.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
260 trick-or-treaters (based on candy outflow). Including an adorable little 2 or 3 year old bat and (later) a 2 or 3 year old witch. Seriously, if both had come to the door together I would have melted into a pool of cooing. They were SOOOOOOOOOO cute!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We are in a hotel at Gatwick, and the staff have really gone wild with costumes and makeup.

Our lift door opened to reveal a zombie with an axe in his head. He was superb, staring and whispering all the way down to reception.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obviously Gatwick is a party town.

Last night I shared a train compartment with a very cute, very gay Latino man who was dressed as Sexy Franco. * I shit you not. I could not stop grinning at him.

*As in the horrible cruel dictator, only Sexy.

As for trick or treat-- neighborhood was dead! We had the Giants World Series celebration to compete with.

[ 01. November 2014, 05:08: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

not entirely me
Shipmate
# 17637

- Posted      Profile for not entirely me     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
When I was a child, we used to have bobbing apples or apples on strings, but that's about all. A big celebration for All Hallows Eve was not even considered - It seems to have been imported from America. My church used to run an alternative Halloween party - a Hallelujah party, celebrating light, not darkness.
I know it seems rather "bah, humbug", but we will not be answering the front door on Halloween - though it was tempting to get some of the chilli Gummibears from House of Chilli!

We used to have Hallelujah parties too! and we bobbed for apples (that's more of a harvest type thing maybe).

I always view Halloween in it's current form as a very Commercial American thing. I think in Northern England we get far more into Bonfire night. Watching fireworks, treacle toffee, parkin, hot dogs, freezing despite wrapping up....etc. Some people, mainly kids do dress up for Halloween and some even go to a couple of houses TorTing but it's not a big thing really.

Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Obviously Gatwick is a party town.

It's at the airport - so there's not a lot else to do. The staff were raising money for charity. All our servers in the restaurant were plastered in horror make up, and the lobby was full of giant spiders etc.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, no trick or treaters around our way last night, as per usual. We do hear random fireworks going off for about 3 weeks either side of 5 November, but that's about all.

We used to have fireworks in the garden when kids were small, but that has tailed off now. When I was young making a Guy out of dad's old shirt & trousers was the big thing to do, and then we would burn him on the bonfire on the 5th.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Mexican Embassy in London are providing Day of the Dead celebrations

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Probably staying home, dawning a hockey mask and a wig before I hand out candy....

I ended up dressing as a university professor going to a sporting event (with no wig) and sitting on my front walk with a full salad bowl of treats because I was the only one on my block handing out candy! I went through nearly seven pounds of candy!

(My outfit was the same one I had worn to school while teaching 7 and 8-year-olds earlier that day: Real U. S. - made Sperry Topsiders with no socks, blue jeans with a brown belt and a USC t-shirt in the school colours of maroon and gold that I bought more than ten years ago for $9 when I got it as a bonus after buying my late mother a sweatshirt for a gift. She was an alumnus of The University of Southern California and graduated with a degree in International Affairs. Sadly, she had been born too long ago to have been int the running for Madeline Albright's job...)

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We ended up having a Mexican meal - chicken and cocoa seems an odd mix but was very tasty.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sounds like chicken with mole sauce. Mole is divine. Heck, I may go out and get so,e tonight, thanks to you.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Happy All Hallows' Day!! <3

We watched Nosferatu last night.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Went over to friends' house to eat chili and cornbread, drink wine, hand out candy, and watch "Hocus Pocus" and "Nightmare Before Christmas."

And it rained! [Yipee]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I invited a few toddlers around for non-scary trick or treat - I wore a wolf hat that worked out fine, and was visited by couple of cats and Doctor Who and his Tardis plus parents.

Later on I change the wolf for a spider and around 15 other trick-or-treaters were happy to take a sweet and a goodie (pencil, eraser, balloon etc) with "God loves you", and some parents went away with a cup of mulled cider; I had enough left over to have a very mellow evening after the pumpkin light had gone out!
The mob of 12 or so little ones that come around every year (I think one of them was a Halloween Baby & this is her party) went away empty-handed - I've explained every year that groups of 3 or 4 are welcome. Is that bah humbug of me? I can't think that I'm the only one terrified by mobs of small people - they don't even need to dress up.

The firework season got of with lots of bangs yesterday - this will now go on until early January [Roll Eyes] so my cats are now under a curfew although one of them sits on an upstairs window sill watching them.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Went over to friends' house to eat chili and cornbread, drink wine, hand out candy, and watch "Hocus Pocus" and "Nightmare Before Christmas."

And it rained! [Yipee]

Didn't it, though!

Mulled cider. Daisydaisy, you're sweet.
ETA: ... Unless you were dressed as
Lucrezia Borgia. [Devil]

[ 01. November 2014, 23:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The Mexican Embassy in London are providing Day of the Dead celebrations

Squeeee! Lookit those skulls! [Yipee]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

About to clock out of grading papers so we will see ... some other spooky movie tonight. Not sure what.

I did a brief morning prayer for the departed this morning.

Alas, we missed the 5 PM church service. [Hot and Hormonal]

(I did the World of Warcraft Halloween and Day of the Dead stuff...)

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I don't now if you have TCM On Demand, but they have "Eyes Without a Face."

EEEEEK!

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is what I did Halloween evening!

*sigh* One of my happy places!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Sounds like chicken with mole sauce. Mole is divine. Heck, I may go out and get so,e tonight, thanks to you.

Yes - that's what we had - just didn't know it was called that.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Mole tonight! Dishes being washed for it even as we speak, and after more grading and stuff I will go get the ingredients.

After a couple of false starts, we finally wound up with "Paranormal Whacktivity," a sort of erotic spoof of those found-footage horror movies. It was amusing enough for ... well, once.

Today we watched the Dia de los Muertos episode of El Tigre! It's called "The Grave Escape."

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Something that made me think about concerns--and definitely this does not apply to genuine hooliganism or threatening at all!--regarding teens trick-or-treating is here on HuffPo.

I know that myself I have, as an adult, gone to places where anyone can trick or treat, though this has really been less festive and more of an opportunity for local-ish businesses to advertise themselves, giving out pamphlets and the cheapest candy possible (i.e., mini Tootsie-rolls).

I think something where adults all dress up and go trick-or-treating would be awesome, but of course being the only one doing it would be weird. [Frown] And I have no intention of unnerving strangers by being The Weird Guy (at least, in that sense).

It would be kind of cool, wouldn't it, to have not-just-candy items, like mini-flavored-coffee/tea packets, etc.? Or if one could afford it (but yikes, not easily) wee bottles of liqueur?

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

But, on a second look, the recipe is called 'Chicken Mole.'

[ 03. November 2014, 19:19: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I went with a group of friends to the local Dia de los Muertos fest and had a great time. Five blocks of downtown were blocked off. There was ballet folklorico dancers, Aztec dancers, and young people doing choreography to Thriller. And the park was filled with memorial altars. The taco lines were packed, though, so when we left we went home and made our own.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Well, today (the festival continues in our apartment, somehow) I did get a wee bottle (one of those $2 ones) of tequila, some Pan de Muertos (yay, still available at a local Mexican bakery, which I must go back to as they have all kinds of cool stuff), but still no mole as Publix didn't have it.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could make for an interesting blog line somewhere: 'Back to ChastMastr's where he was, as usual, celebrating Dia de Los Muertos. It is now April....'
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

Mole is the Nahuatl (Aztec) word for sauce. It is generally applied to several different sauces from the regions which claim to originate mole. Only some of these contain chocolate.
What you two probably had was mole poblano. It seems to be the widest spread version.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The Tesco on S Clerk St has a large Christmas tree in the entrance today. Hallowe'en must be well and truly over. (But do feel free to continue discussing Latin American cuisine on the recipe thread.)

Firenze
Heaven Host

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016