homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Small things

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Small things
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
amuse small minds...

XKCD webcomic has referenced a phrase 'Where do birds go when it rains?' It features a wet bird typing the phrase into a smart phone.

It's a nice comic, but what has really made me smile is a forum discussion reviewing the composition of birds beaks and whether birds could actually input text into a smart phone screen. Because that is clearly the illogical part of this comic.

What has made you smile today?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon's Cat – and three small grandchildren laughing their heads off at his antics. In case some Shipmates don't know him.

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Simon's Cat – and three small grandchildren laughing their heads off at his antics. In case some Shipmates don't know him.

I hadn't seen that one, thanks.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This fills my heart with joy and delight.

[Tear] [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am eating baklava. I am so fortunate as to live only ten miles or so from possibly the best baklava maker in the region. This cafe, in northern Virginia, has gone through at least half a dozen name plates/cuisines and is now an uneasy combination of Middle-Eastern food and a Peruvian lunch buffet. However, through all this there has been an enormous glass case extending the width of the restaurant, displaying gigantic trays of baklava. I envision an elderly grandmother in the back, her only marketable talent a fantabulous skill with phyllo and honey, creating these things all day long. You can walk in and buy a selection, by the pound. Thank God it is so far away! Otherwise I would be there every day, to the great detriment of my waistline.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I drove my riding mower to the church and cut the grass/mulched fallen leaves. Got the whole churchyard done in an hour, as the forecast storm started to cloud up over us. So...happy. On the way home, I was able to stop and tell a mildly-rude joke to the guy (disabled by a brain aneurysm) who sits on his porch and talks to everyone, which made him more-than-just-amused. So...smiling.

This in sight of the bakery/coffee shop which produces what, to me, are the BEST cinnamon buns, which makes me happy in anticipation of tomorrow's bun.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I work at a high school helping in the English Dept. I had a small group of 3 students to do some vocabulary exercises.
One girl was especially weak and lacking in confidence (expressed in ersatz-arrogant lack of motivation). I had taught her in small groups before so I knew she was like that.

As always I asked for Our Mother's help and blessings (silently)...

Anyway midway throught the lesson I asked her to read aloud for us all the instructions to the questions - written in Hebrew ("Circle the correct answer" and similar) .
So she did that a couple of times. I could tell she felt more part of the lesson. Then I asked her one of the (English) questions and she got it right. I praised her and suddenly realised she just took 2 or 3 questions answered by others to catch on to what was required!

So the next exercise I asked her Question 4 and she fired back the answer right away. Her companions complimented her with shouts of surprise and joy (disguised in adolescent "Finally she catches on" tones but underneath it did make them happy as they are a "tight" class).

I did this till the end of the double lesson: she'd read the Hebrew instructions first, then I would ask her Question 4 and by Question 5 she was giving the answer without being asked.

Thanks be to Her who helps the little lost ones (or in this case the helper of the little lost ones)

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been updating a loose-leaf work on Construction Law. One of the new pages included something along the lines of, 'The Civil Procedure Rules changed the vocabulary, inter alia* to get rid of Latin phrases...'

The polite subversion of it makes my heart sing.

M.

*'among other things', in Latin.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Half price ice cream
Salted caramel flavour!
Even though it's October and not especially ice cream season, I got some anyway and it's LOVELY!

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How very many of these items are food. Probably this is Significant.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016