homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Right or Left (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Right or Left
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I used to have a lot of trouble with right and left until I hit on a tactic. I imagine closing my hand on a doorknob. I always reach for doorknobs with my right hand, so that solves the problem.

Moo

If I'm told to turn left I look at my hands, the left one has the wedding ring.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who uses which shoulder for bags? I use my left but think most people use the right.

I'm right handed but do do quite a few things either with both or my left, like cooking (I only realised this when we got saucepans that had a little thing to pour on the side) and ironing, again I only realised this when I found I had the ironing board the other way round to most people.

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
If I'm told to turn left I look at my hands, the left one has the wedding ring.

I used to do that -- but can't since getting divorced.

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
Who uses which shoulder for bags? I use my left but think most people use the right.

Most right-handed people I know (self included) use the left, freeing the right hand for other stuff.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Most right-handed people I know (self included) use the left, freeing the right hand for other stuff.

I'm right-handed, and generally carry a small backpack or similar slung over my right shoulder. I naturally pick up the bag with my right hand, and the shoulder is where it goes. Once the bag is on the shoulder, my right hand is no longer engaged, and is free to go about its business.

If I were to wear women's handbags, I imagine I would use my left shoulder for the reason you give.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Left handed, but pretty ambidextrous due to a broken wrist in childhood and natural perversity. So I can write legibly with either hand (though right handed is jerky looking). More fun, I can write the same thing simultaneously with both hands, either with both going the same (normal) direction, or with one writing the normal direction and the other writing backward (right to left) at the same time. I can do this simultaneously in cursive, which makes for a fun party trick! Requires no thought at all (shut up, you, I know what you're thinking)

I'm you and claim my £5.

Well, nearly. I'm not sure about the success of simultaneous cursive. I broke my left wrist at 16 and did a set of exams right-handed. Left-handed for writing, but otherwise largely right-handed.

And apparently you are both mirror images of me. Not sure I can do the simultaneous writing in cursive. And I tend to favor the right for writing, though not for eating, which causes some cultural conflict.

But people learned early on that if they were a passenger giving me directions they should either hit the dashboard or the passenger's side window, since telling me to turn right or left frequently resulted in my turning in the direction they didn't want me to turn.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
'Cross dominant' is notable in bat & ball sports, especially those in which when both hands grip the bat (eg cricket and baseball). There are plenty of cricketers who throw and bowl with the right arm but bat left-handed (ie with their left shoulder towards the bowler), because batting is done side-on and their left eye is dominant.

You are are right-handed batter in baseball if your left shoulder is toward the pitcher. Why is it different in cricket?

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right handed batting means the same in cricket as in baseball. I think that is a typing error by Sioni Sais.

Does anyone know why some people have trouble telling right from left ? It's hard for me to imagine, as to me it is as instinctive as knowing up from down.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Does anyone know why some people have trouble telling right from left ? It's hard for me to imagine, as to me it is as instinctive as knowing up from down.

Well, not being strongly dominant in terms of which hand you use seems to be my problem. It's very easy for me to do simultaneous mirror writing (writing with one hand in one direction while writing in the opposite direction with the other hand). Which means that some of the tricks they give you for telling your right from your left (like looking down to see which hand forms an L) don't work for me.

I have always tended to favor my right leg to kick with, so if I imagine I'm playing a game of kickball and see which leg I automatically kick with I can sometimes get it right.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Right handed batting means the same in cricket as in baseball. I think that is a typing error by Sioni Sais.

Well spotted, my error. Thanks for reading!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Left right confusion is very common in dyslexia - and holding hands up to look at the L made doesn't help them at all. (Letter reversal or rotation, such as b/d, 6/9, p/q, b/d/q/p, 2/5 is also common.) I suspect that not knowing which is clockwise or anticlockwise might cause the problems with reading analogue clocks. Testing students, one of the tests is checking for which hand, eye and foot dominates as they often vary.

The brain wiring that goes with dyslexia often goes with good spatial awareness and the ability to visualise in 3D from 2D, and being able to visualise the rotation of that shape, or see how it would move in time from diagrams. Which is why dyslexics can make good motor mechanics, engineers or architects. It's lovely showing them what they can do, if they've got this ability, because stuck in school with the emphasis on literacy they feel stupid and showing them things they can do but which none of the teachers mentions they can't but if you start the conversation it becomes obvious that this is unusual.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who uses which shoulder for bags?

Left, always, and like you I'm right-handed but do several things with my left. It seems to me that if a bag isn't symmetrical, its design looks as if it's meant to be worn on the right, which is a pain.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

Left, always, and like you I'm right-handed but do several things with my left. It seems to me that if a bag isn't symmetrical, its design looks as if it's meant to be worn on the right, which is a pain.
Makes sense. Isn't it easier to use your right hand to get things out of a bag over the left shoulder?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:

Makes sense. Isn't it easier to use your right hand to get things out of a bag over the left shoulder?
I'm left handed and no longer use shoulder bags because I've knackered my right shoulder through years of carrying book bags as a student, and handbags, on it. [Roll Eyes]

Similar logic applies to which hip you hold a small child on if you pick one up - the less dominant side, to free the dominant hand for doing other things. My youngest seemed to live on my hip for about 18 months when he was little - I became pretty adept at doing things one-handed.

Nen - a tad nostalgic for the days when her kids were small enough to be picked up.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nenya:
I'm left handed and no longer use shoulder bags because I've knackered my right shoulder through years of carrying book bags as a student, and handbags, on it. [Roll Eyes]

When I did that I switched to using the other side. By the time that side went out of action, the previous side was recovered enough to use again - but by then I'd learnt not to cram so much heavy stuff into my bag.
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to see that mirror writing with both hands simultaneously that Saysay describes. It's a pity that can't be demonstrated over the internet.

I could never do that, but I am not strongly dominated by one side. My left hand is more dexterous but the right hand is stronger. But the sense of right and left doesn't require me to look at anything or think about doing anything. If I lie with my eyes shut, it's clear to me which is the left side of my body and which the right in the same way that I know which end of my body my head is on and which end the feet are on.

I had always supposed this was true for most people, but am now wondering.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not me.

If you want a video of the writing-two-directions-at-once, try here (machine won't do URL links)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_usHKQbrUo

I can do this at normal speed, without thinking about it. In fact, thinking about it screws it up. I didn't have to learn how.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

Same here. Only I started doing it in print and never tested whether or not I could do it in cursive.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Isn't it easier to use your right hand to get things out of a bag over the left shoulder?

Not necessarily - I tend to grab the strap with my right hand, and undo zips, catches or whatever and rummage with my left, as the bag's still basically on my left side (or at least left-of-centre).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016