homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Odd gendering of creatures (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Odd gendering of creatures
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just caught myself thinking in a peculiar way about inhabitants of my garden, remembered something similar in a school book, and wondered if anyone else had found similar habits of mind. That's English speakers, where gender has rather dropped out of the language.

I have a rat busily working at establishing a nest under a raised bed. I have been thinking of it as Mr Rat, male. When I found a woodmouse engaged in similar activity, very similar, identical, in fact, I thought of it as Mrs Mouse, female, nesting.

The school book, about the sort of creatures found in gardens, used male pronouns for all the creatures except one. That included ants and bees, who were praised for their work ethic. All called, in spite of reality, he and him. The one exception was the spider. All spiders were referred to as she or her. (It occurs to me that there may have been a passing female cat, but I can't check. It was definitely the contrast between the worker female ants and bees being called males, and the predatory spiders all being called females that stuck in my mind.)

There is a pattern in my mind - that which is a threat is male, that which is acceptable is female, and the same behaviour is admirable in the smaller, less disruptive animal, but a menace in the larger.

There is an opposite pattern in the school book, which had, in my opinion, no business attributing any gender to the minibeasts at all, unless accurately. The author of the book was, incidentally, male.

Does anyone here find themselves making such gender attributions without any obvious reason? I'm not very pleased with myself. I think I've caught myself out with an extreme reaction to males which is a caricature of the feminist. (As an excuse, I had been listening to the report suggesting that sexual abuse of young girls was now a norm. But the rat is innocent of that sort of thing. It, presumably, is engaged in pursuing perfectly normal and fitting rattish behaviour, whether male or female.)

[ 30. October 2014, 16:35: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To me all dogs are male and all cats are female!

(Yet my two dogs are girls!)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
There is a pattern in my mind - that which is a threat is male, that which is acceptable is female...

Two of the major threats around here are black widow spiders and mosquitoes. The dangerous ones are the females. (Which is why, when I was stung by a scorpion a couple of months ago, I called it "he" -- trying to even things out.)

And mothers with young are often "more deadly than the male."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would assume, with mammals at any rate, that females with young are always more dangerous. I was taught early not to go in fields where there were cows with calves.

But I was thinking about falsely identifying gender. And I don't mean the Girl Guides I was with who refused to go in a field of bullocks. (In case of vocabulary glitches, teenage male cattle who won't ever be bulls. aka steers.)

With spiders, if the females are the dangerous ones, to assume female by default makes sense. But not in English gardens with orb spiders. Both make webs, I assume. (Just checked. Predatory web behaviour is shared, except when adult males go female hunting.)

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the movies, there are often characters which ought not to have a gender. In the recent GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, for instance, there is an alien creature who looks like a tree. Nevertheless, he is a 'he' not a 'she'. It is not clear why.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But he clearly identifies his gender in the movie.
I am groot.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason , in our household we tend to refer to any moorhen as 'Mrs Moorhen.'

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cats are always female to me, and dogs always male (thought tortie cats are almost always female, and ginger cats are more often male than female - 1 in 1000 is female). Guinea pigs and rabbits tend to be male, as are donkeys. Mice, I agree, would be female. Not sure why I assume animals are male so often!

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most people in Britain would probably tend to think of cats and cows as female in the first instance. I can't think of any other creature that's usually thought of as female by default - except possibly ladybirds.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My neighbor's white poodle is in love with my black dachshund and I once had a hard time convincing a little boy that the poodle was the boy and my dog a girl. I blame Walt Disney for a lot of this. The man would put long eyelashes and lipstick on anything he wanted to make female.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Cows are female, obviously. So are heifers, less obviously. Bulls, oxen and bullocks I have never heard of described as female by default. Leaving aside the occasional freemartin.

Twilight, I blame the poodle shapers. One can be told frequently that the bobbles and bare bits have a function appropriate to either sex, but it doesn't make the dog look like a dog. Damned by the owners who add furbelows to its kit.

[ 30. October 2014, 20:48: Message edited by: Penny S ]

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never thought about this before, but all squirrels are male when I talk about them; or even when I address them!

Little boy, if you eat that fruit on my tree, I'm going to make a squirrely stew out of you!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
My neighbor's white poodle is in love with my black dachshund and I once had a hard time convincing a little boy that the poodle was the boy and my dog a girl. I blame Walt Disney for a lot of this. The man would put long eyelashes and lipstick on anything he wanted to make female.

My wife's dog is a standard poodle; mine is a Lab/Airedale mix that looks like a half-size Irish wolfhound. Everyone assumes hers is female and mine is male, though the truth is the opposite....

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back when I had a female dog, all dogs were "she." Now that I have a male dog, all dogs are "he."

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been thinking recently (a month) that I should refer to animals by gender...after all St Francis' creatures he called Brother and Sister. I asked myself how to assign gender to the ones I don't know.
I thought just random would be ok...

Languages that have gender built-in make it easier of course

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boogie:
quote:
Big cats too? [Devil]

I ask because nearly all my daughter's cuddly toys are female (according to her), including Tiger, her favourite bedtime toy. She gets very annoyed when people refer to Tiger as 'he', but everyone does it...

As a result I tend to think of tigers as female.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Side-blotched lizards have two sexes but five genders, which is a neat trick.

On a completely different note this is reminding me of a very old joke:

Pupil: Voila un mouche.
Teacher: Non, c'est une mouche.
Pupil: Oh, you've got good eyesight.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The school book, about the sort of creatures found in gardens, used male pronouns for all the creatures except one. That included ants and bees, who were praised for their work ethic. All called, in spite of reality, he and him. The one exception was the spider. All spiders were referred to as she or her. (It occurs to me that there may have been a passing female cat, but I can't check. It was definitely the contrast between the worker female ants and bees being called males, and the predatory spiders all being called females that stuck in my mind.

I suspect the spider is female because she spins, a traditionally feminine activity. One of my favourite artists, Louise Bourgeois, used the image of the spider as a mother (her own mother was a weaver) but also as sinister and protective, subverting the traditional image of gentle mothers. Pics here, don't click if you're an arachnophobe!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Boogie:

I ask because nearly all my daughter's cuddly toys are female (according to her), including Tiger, her favourite bedtime toy. She gets very annoyed when people refer to Tiger as 'he', but everyone does it...

As a result I tend to think of tigers as female.

All my dolls were obviously female, even the one who had been snatched bald by my evil brothers, but all my stuffed things were male, the lewd sock monkey for sure. I don't think I've ever known a female Teddy Bear.

I think your little girl is right about the big cats. Lets face it, if it's on the Discovery Channel actually doing something other than lounging in the shade -- she's probably a girl.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... all my daughter's cuddly toys are female ...

We have quite a large collection of teddy-bears of varying proportions, and in our minds they're all male.

I can understand the "cat-female/dog-male" thing, although again, in my mind, I tend to refer to them all as "he" unless I know otherwise.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I said 'nearly all' - not all. A few of her toys are designated male; and now I come to think of it, those ones are teddy bears.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:

Years ago, while driving, I was listening to a programme on Radio 4 about the origins of sexual reproduction. One speaker cited an example of a slime mould which has 13 sexes. These are defined by which gamete's mitochondria get used in the resulting new cell. Sex 1 beats all others, Sex 2 beats all but Sex 1, Sex 3 beats all but Sexes 1 and 2, etc.

However, I doubt if anyone calls a slime mould 'he' or 'she'.

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I don't think I've ever known a female Teddy Bear.

I complained about this as a child when I'd amassed an all-male tribe of teddy bears. My mother's solution was to buy me another and tell me it was female, to which I replied, "Are you sure? It looks like a boy to me." But my mother was quite convinced, and so a female teddy bear finally entered the household. She even had two little dresses knitted for her.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

My bear is, and has always been, female, going by the name of Persephone, that being the only other long Greek name beginning with P that I knew. I also had a picture on my bedroom wall of the young woman being approached by Hades, her gathered flowers dropping from her hands. Lovely stuff Child Education produced in my mother's day. (Mind you, it was a useful tool. "Along he came in his chariot and said "Little girl, would you like to come in my chariot and see some even better flowers?"" Class gasps. They know she should say no.) She had a blue knitted dress, which, when it wore out, my mother threw out. I was shocked to see her bear-naked and had to quickly crochet her a white dress - but it wasn't the same. (I was at college at the time.)
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:

(Yet my two dogs are girls!)

[Smile]

That was me as a child – not that I'm calling a wise person like Boogie naive!
Feeding crumbs to sparrows one day I was doing my best to see that the hens got first chance – until I spotted that a male was feeding his to a baby. That put me in my place.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So female sparrows are hens, but males are... well males.

Do I detect a bias?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I was thinking about falsely identifying gender. And I don't mean the Girl Guides I was with who refused to go in a field of bullocks. (In case of vocabulary glitches, teenage male cattle who won't ever be bulls. aka steers.)

But I'm sure I've come across US ranchers referring to their herds of bovines as 'cows'.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After all, they are "cow"boys. [Smile]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poodles make good hunting dogs. Bird dogs, i.e., ducks. The puffy bits on the hips keep those joints warm in the water.

I call animals and people I like/love "buddy", which includes our female dog and my two daughters. Our cat, which does have a name, I call "bad kitty", with resentful love in my heart, because she is a bitch and not a buddy, because she is a cat.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

Do I detect a bias?

Male sparrows are cocks. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I said 'nearly all' - not all. A few of her toys are designated male; and now I come to think of it, those ones are teddy bears.

My bad - I deleted too much of your post in my quote. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:

quote:
Yes indeed, and so are male robins. As in "Who killed Cock Robin?". Maybe that's why to me all robins are male.

With some of the common garden birds the two sexes have different plumage but of those who don't, to me all great tits are male and all blue tits are female, and for some reason I don't think of starlings as gendered. I've no idea why.

--------------------
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases

Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to think of all magpies as being male, probably due to my mother always greeting single magpies with the words ''Hello Mr Magpie, where's your wife?'

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

And wrens are traditionally female, Jenny Wren, and seen as the mate of the robin.

I am having to relearn the names of plumbing items. Isolation valves, flotation valves and so on. Stupid. I never, ever heard stopcocks and ballcocks and male birds as anything rude.

[ 01. November 2014, 18:14: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I were a lass, we had a cat (well, sort of acquired it, we looked after it while its owner was on holiday and it never went home) which was quite definitely male and was, correctly, known as 'he'. A few years later we got a dog, who was also male. From the moment the dog entered the house, the cat immediately and permanently became known as 'she', while the dog remained 'he'. I never did quite get to grips with why that was!

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

- Posted      Profile for spork   Email spork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few months ago I went to a farm to see some calves. I presumed they were all female only to be told by the farmer the majority were male.

--------------------
God only made one of me, most people agree this is a good thing

Posts: 62 | From: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Dairy or beef? If dairy, poor little things were destined for schnitzel.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<tangent>Nothing wrong with veal Penny so long as it is so-called Rose Veal - in other words allowed to get to the requisite size on normal food, rather than being force-fed milk.

Odd gendering: as a child my late Mama thought that cats were female dogs [Confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

Do I detect a bias?

Tangent alert
Friend reading Swallows and Amazons to her grandchildren caused great embarrassment to her grandson when she got to the boy's name: Dick. "We're not allowed [at school] to say that word"

GG

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that one of the female characters is called Titty....
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had a child ask me at the swimming lesson why people called boys Dick. So I explained that it had been a perfectly normal short form of Richard, and that if we stopped using all the words that some people decided to use for rude things we wouldn't be able to say very much. There used to be a reading scheme with the main character called Dick. I gather that some Enid Blyton characters have been renamed, a couple called Dick and Fanny, I gather.

I think it's a shame. It's perfectly possible to keep separate parts of the brain for normal speech and being rude, according to context.

Though I don't understand why the mealy mouthed plumbers (and electricians) are still perfectly happy to describe male and female parts of connections. Seems a bit ruder than the collected faucet words.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago I read a novel in which the three main male characters were Dick, Rod, and Peter. I had read quite a bit of the book before it hit me.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Cows are female, obviously. So are heifers, less obviously. Bulls, oxen and bullocks I have never heard of described as female by default. Leaving aside the occasional freemartin.

Twilight, I blame the poodle shapers. One can be told frequently that the bobbles and bare bits have a function appropriate to either sex, but it doesn't make the dog look like a dog. Damned by the owners who add furbelows to its kit.

Poodles were bred as water dogs, and the bobbles help keep joints warm in the water. It's why poodles don't shed - their fur has the same function as duck feathers.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:

Years ago, while driving, I was listening to a programme on Radio 4 about the origins of sexual reproduction. One speaker cited an example of a slime mould which has 13 sexes. These are defined by which gamete's mitochondria get used in the resulting new cell. Sex 1 beats all others, Sex 2 beats all but Sex 1, Sex 3 beats all but Sexes 1 and 2, etc.

However, I doubt if anyone calls a slime mould 'he' or 'she'.

Radio 4 and Ship of Fools have this in common - random interesting little factoids that pop out of nowhere. Multi-gendered lizards and top-trumps gender slime mould.
Off to Google more about those...

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And wrens are traditionally female, Jenny Wren, and seen as the mate of the robin.

'Robin redbreast' was the traditional name, but unlike 'Jenny wren', 'Mavis thrush', 'Tom tit', 'Isaac swallow', the given name stuck rather than the name for the kind of bird. The 'Jack' in 'Jack daw' also stuck but it didn't lose the 'daw' part.

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Magpie?
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

And her brother is Roger the Cabin Boy, for crying out loud.

A vast gulf of trans-Atlantic incomprehension opened up when I was eating out with some Americans. One of them asked the waiter what was available for dessert. "Well, sir, I have spotted dick ..."

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

A programme on Dave (TV channel, demographic male), involving an auctioneer from the US selling off the contents of storage containers, now working over here, used that very point in its trailer. "Can I say "spotted dick"?" he said, clearly in on the joke.

Having grown up with it, the jump from assuming that it always and only referred to a steamed suet pudding with dried fruit in it (traditionally long and made in a cloth rolled round it, like my Dad's Mum did it and Mum never did, to his disappointment) to realising not only that it could be interpreted in another way, and, even worse, probably derived from that other interpretation (despite many attempts to derive it from contractions of "pudding") was very discombobulating.

[ 05. November 2014, 11:42: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Which is why , I suspect, the books were never promoted much (if they were even published) in the US. But really, what are you going to call a girl who was christened Letitia?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
But really, what are you going to call a girl who was christened Letitia?

Letty. (e.g. sister of main female character in "Howl's Moving Castle", though not sure if it was short for Letitia in her case).

[ 13. November 2014, 10:52: Message edited by: MSHB ]

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016