homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Bunches

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bunches
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did you know that whales come in bunches? According to the reporter on the radio bunches of whales were seen swimming in the ocean. The mind boggles. I have visions of whales tied together with ribbon and held aloft! It concerns me that the correct use of collective nouns is rapidly disappearing and being replaced with a lazy generic term of 'bunches' to cover many groups. In the past week I have heard: bunches of politicians, bunches of dogs, bunches of people and bunches of situations. When I was at school we only referred to bunches of carrots and flowers. Now what do you bunches of shipmates say?

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, are you calling us a "whole bunch of people"? A little girl I knew used to call her pigtails bunches.

Probably a bunch of other uses as well.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure Loth, but the numbers of things grouped in bunches is finite. If you listen to the news etc you will hear many people using 'bunches' when other correct terms are available. Maybe the correct terms are no longer taught in schools, so people are ignorant of them.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe it's because they're a bunch of ^NO CARRIER

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that pod, pack and crowd ought to have been called into use. But it's hard to coin a non-tendentious collective for politicians - a graft? A bluster?

Whatever it may have been used back in the day, I think bunch now has a meaning of 'any ad hoc conglomeration of entities'.

Not but that I'm all in favour of Proper Collectives - if only so I can use one of my favourite jokes: What do you call two crows? Attempted murder.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile,the collective term for bankers is a wunch.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Pod" has recently taken on the strange meaning of "a cluster of office desks".

I agree that many of the specialized collective nouns seem to have fallen into desuetude. As has that word, too.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a handy list we can all memorise, preparatory to working them into conversation.

Who knew alligators were a congregation? Or nuns a superfluity?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did know that about the nuns - evidently coined by someone who didn't like them!
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

There are many collective terms for bankers - most of which I shouldn't use here.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
... A little girl I knew used to call her pigtails bunches ...

Pigtails (in pairs) that weren't braided into plaits but secured with a band like a ponytail were called bunches when I was little and had long enough hair to have them.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just watch the BBC weather forecast. Showers often come in "bands" which sometimes even "march" across the country from west to east (so where are the trombones?)

I'm sure there are lots of other populist collective meteorological terms.

By the wife, my wife years and years ago decided that the collective term for teachers was a "moan".

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Phantom Flan Flinger:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

There are many collective terms for bankers - most of which I shouldn't use here.
Why not go to Southwold Pier and use some of them as you "Bash the Bankers"?

(All right, I don't know if the game is still there, I haven't been for a year or two).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016