homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Biscuit nostalgia (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Biscuit nostalgia
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I happened to be in a well-known supermarket recently idly passing through the biscuit aisle, when glancing at the shelves I was suddenly struck by biscuit nostalgia and my basket acquired one or two unnecessary items which were old favourites years ago.

Of course time moves on and it isn't always possible to get some things now, but I remember with special pleasure:

Boland's lemon puffs, Jacob's Mikados (these are marshmallow, jam and coconut), fig rolls, Cafe Noir, and Garibaldi biscuits. And little packets of Iced Gems.

Any favourite biscuits that strike a chord with you from long ago?

(Biscuits probably translates as cookies, but I'm not sure they are quite the same.)

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I almost passed a tear at the passing of Abbey Crunch. Times change, and so do bicuits.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huntley & Palmers Breakfast Biscuits.

Grandma's favourite, but she died in 1969 and I haven't seen them since.

Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was deli in Dulwich (not the really Dulwichy part, but in the midst of council estates) which stocked some foreign biscuits called Cafe Choc. Think a hybrid of Cafe Noir and Choco Leibnitz. Coffee icing, thinner than McVitie's, one side, dark chocolate, also thin, on the other. Possibly made by Delacre in Belgium. I bought them every time I was in the neighbourhood, until they vanished, never to be seen again. The deli is now a Tesco. The biscuits are not even to be seen on the internet.

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, Fox's used to make a biscuit called Thick Rich Tea, which was brilliant for dunking but looked like a dog biscuit. First available to me in a shop that sold things in big tubs that one served oneself from. Then only findable by me in Cavendish House in Cheltenham. Then gone.

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother used to work at Fox's. So there were plenty of freshly made broken biscuits in our house, but I never knew what they were called, as they were not packaged, just mixed in a plastic bag.

So I do remember the thick rich tea, though to me they were less like a dog biscuit and more rusk like. Though I would always use either a chocolate or ginger biscuit for dunking, back in the day. I haven't dunked in years.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when chocolate digestives came individually wrapped in silver paper - red for plain, blue for milk. They were a special treat, but I also liked ordinary digestives, and malted milk.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the favorites of the professor and his wife who had afternoon tea (to which students often came) when I first started college, at New College in Sarasota (1985), was a sort of raisin cookie that isn't made anymore. They were very flat. (The cookies, not the prof and wife.)

Dr. Clough, Mrs. Clough, their big barky dog Tyree, and those cookies--all gone now, God bless them. [Votive]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Store-bought cookies were almost unheard of in my home when I was a child. My mother and grandmother baked just about every day, so there were always yummy homemade cookies on hand. I do miss those, especially at Christmas.
[Tear]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
One of the favorites of the professor and his wife who had afternoon tea (to which students often came) when I first started college, at New College in Sarasota (1985), was a sort of raisin cookie that isn't made anymore. They were very flat. (The cookies, not the prof and wife.)

Dr. Clough, Mrs. Clough, their big barky dog Tyree, and those cookies--all gone now, God bless them. [Votive]

Might these be what you had in mind?

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dutch windmill cookies.

Pfeffernusse cookies. Also Lebkuchen.

These soft wonderful molasses cookies with white icing.

Snickerdoodles.

I don't eat things like these anymore, but they are a wonderful memory in my mind's tongue!

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Store-bought cookies were almost unheard of in my home when I was a child. My mother and grandmother baked just about every day, so there were always yummy homemade cookies on hand. I do miss those, especially at Christmas.
[Tear]

My mother nearly always had home-made cookies on hand when we were growing up, and she still makes cookies when the family converges at her home. I visited her recently, and she is already planning the Christmas cookies. I will never stop thinking that homemade chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter cookies, which were our everyday cookies when I was a kid, surpass anything sold in stores.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lemon Snaps. Thin, light, crisp, very lemon-y. Don't know the brand, but haven't seen them in ages.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ginger Nut biscuits are probably the best for dunking. Has anyone seen Ginger Thins recently?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A cookie company called "Mother's" " used to make these lovely iced raisin shortbread cookies. They recently discontinued them locally. [Waterworks]

But their iced animal crackers live on!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Garibaldis are a real favourite, but not available over here [Waterworks]

There are lots of peculiarly Indian biscuits about and the bakery down the road makes some amazing things they call cookies, but really they are an artisanal biscuit - and lovely!

Today I am writing to a UK friend who flies out in just over a week asking if she can get me some Cornish Wafers - my favourite biscuit for cheese.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
Dutch windmill cookies.

Yes! I must see if I can find some. I remember the ones here were quite spicy.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As well as nostalgia (Gypsy Creams, Penguins), I suffer from cross-Pond deprivation, so I miss things like custard creams (Oreo cookies and Girl Guide cookies just Aren't The Same).

My dad used to have a weakness for wrapped chocolate biscuits of the Club Wafer/Caramel Wafer ilk, and there was a particular brand which I'm racking my brains to remember the name of - the biscuits were long, narrow, chocolate-coated wafer sandwiches with a lovely rich chocolate ganache in the middle. Wrapped in blue-and-gold foil IIRC.

Savoury biscuits I miss: Bath Olivers (which I can't get here) and Proper Digestives (which I can but they're rather expensive).

Oooh, I've just remembered I've got a packet of Stockan's oatcakes that I brought back from home in the larder ... [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hilda of Whitby: Dutch windmill cookies.
They are linked to the Sinterklaas feast of December 5th, so their season is starting again.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
Might these be what you had in mind?

Good heavens! They are not the same brand but they are definitely the same concept!! [Smile] Thank you!!!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OM NOM NOM ,

Chast, I think Keebler makes a version of those. We used to have them a lot when I was a kid, too, and I think they are still out there.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

We have Dutch Windmill Cookies year round, though I have not tried these.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

(Biscuits probably translates as cookies, but I'm not sure they are quite the same.)

quote:
A British biscuit is an American cookie and an American cookie is a British cookie and an American biscuit is a British scone and an American scone is something else entirely
From the Oxford Dictionaries blog.

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
My mother used to work at Fox's. So there were plen Though I would always use either a chocolate or ginger biscuit for dunking, back in the day. I haven't dunked in years.

Oh, ginger biscuits with a drinking chocolate. Heaven!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Middle school/junior high was a pretty difficult time in my life as it was for many. But one one thing that made up for the psychic pain of that passage was the quality of cookies baked in the school cafeteria. They made big, scrumptious chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, and sugar cookies, a different kind every day. But very much my favorites were the chewy molasses ginger cookies. Oh. My. God. I never tasted their like again. [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When my American sister and her family stay with me, here in Oz, they frequently cook. We fight over the biscuits. They want them out of the oven, soft... So soft that they seem raw and crumbly! But I am an Australian. My biscuits are crisp.
We find ourselves in front of tne oven, putting back and pulling out various trays of biscuits.
Plus, of course, they call the finished product COOKIES!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
I've just remembered I've got a packet of Stockan's oatcakes that I brought back from home in the larder ... [Smile]

However did you get the larder onto the plane? [Devil]

My wife (Scottish but not Orcadian) loves the Stockan's ... much better than Nairn's. But these are even better!

[ 02. November 2014, 07:18: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
My mother used to work at Fox's. So there were plen Though I would always use either a chocolate or ginger biscuit for dunking, back in the day. I haven't dunked in years.

Oh, ginger biscuits with a drinking chocolate. Heaven!
Another vote here for ginger biscuits being the best ever for dunking - just the right consistency and minimal danger of a drop-off.

I also very much enjoy a Bourbon, two biscuits for the price of one and chocolate cream in between; but I only eat custard creams, their vanilla-flavoured counterpart, when there's nothing else available.

Garibaldi and fig rolls are excellent: the fruit content makes them worth at least one of the five-a-day.

And to pay homage to the biscuit that prompted this thread - I love digestives and can consume a large number at a sitting. [Smile]

Nen - who currently has only shortbreads in the biscuit tin. [Disappointed]

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Garibaldis were known in our family as ' squashed flies'. I have a recipe, if anyone wants it.

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother, who lived with us, used to bake the most wonderful oatmeal cookies. When I came home from school, there would be a plate of warm oatmeal cookies on the sideboard.

Most American oatmeal cookies are made with brown sugar, but these were made with white sugar and cinnamon.

I found the recipe a few years ago and made some to take to a family reunion.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The ones I remember are the Nameless Biscuits - well, they probably did have a name, with 'chocolate' and 'assorted' in it somewhere. But you bought them loose. They were various shapes and textures, and chocolate coated on one side. My favourites were round, with a hole, and had coconut in.

Individually wrapped biscuits - Teacakes and Penguins and Wagon Wheels - were great favourites. All of which you can still get of course, except they are tiny, miniaturised versions of the ones in My Day.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I have, somewhere, the recipe the school used for a golden syrup-involved-somewhere cookie. Must look it out. I don't think I have ever made it as the recipe made enough for a horde with one egg. And it won't be around any more since the outsourcing. I know it isn't with the gypsy tart, but might be with the butterscotch tart recipe. Wherever that is.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a Home & Colonial (later International) store and they delivered the order every week. 'Packet' biscuits were a luxury - generally one ordered by the ounce from the selection kept in tins with clear lids along the front of the counter. They had wonderful cookies and things called Harvest Biscuits which had a relief picture of a farmer standing by a stook of wheat, resting on his scythe and with horse and cart in the background. The nearest modern equivalent if Malted Milk biscuits but they're nowhere near as tasty.

For Santa Lucia (13th December) we used to make traditional Swedish Pepparkakor which are delicious. I make them now for Christmas, decorate with white icing and then thread with red ribbon for the tree.

ChastMastr I think the fruited biscuit you remember was a Fruit Shortcake - they're still made in the UK by McVities.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if we ought to have a one-off Ship's Biscuit Exchange thread in All Saints whereby people in different countries could sign up to post each other packets of their favourite biscuits that they can't get locally. Postal regulations permitting, of course.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be a nice social exercise, but one can get almost anything from almost everywhere. There is this little known secret enterprise which facilitates the exchange. Called the "Internet" IIRC.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the joys of biscuits (and cookies) is that they can be made at home. The home-made biscuit at this home is the Grantham Gingerbread, with is lighter, in colour and texture, than the usual gingerbread.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cookie gene is strong in my family.

We couldn't really afford store-bought cookies when I was young, but my mom made an amazing variety of home made ones. Daughter-Unit is famous for her cookies, too.

One of the family favorites was a raisin filled cookie. It had two slightly sweet soft cookies on the outside and a spiced raisin filling. My dad complained because the four-inch diameter treats were too small. Mom got him really good. She put a special offering in Dad's lunchbox, which he didn't see until he pulled it out in front of his co-workers...a raisin filled cookie almost twelve inches in diameter.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

ChastMastr I think the fruited biscuit you remember was a Fruit Shortcake - they're still made in the UK by McVities.

It is something like that, yes--it was made by Sunshine along with some things which are also sadly gone (Hydrox, which were like Oreos but different and I miss them) after they were bought out by Keebler.

Here is a pic of them.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

quote:
A British biscuit is an American cookie and an American cookie is a British cookie and an American biscuit is a British scone and an American scone is something else entirely
From the Oxford Dictionaries blog.

Yes. And while I was aware of the cross-pond language barrier, and am a huge fan of our (American) cookies, when I saw this thread all I could think of was the biscuits my grandma and mom used to bake. Savory, not sweet (until we added honey butter of course)-- soft, flaky, buttery, warm from the oven. Now that they've both passed away, I've never found anything to compare-- such a sweet, nostalgic memory.

[ 03. November 2014, 01:07: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... My dad complained because the four-inch diameter treats were too small ...

Too small??? [Eek!]

There's a lady in our congregation who bakes raisin squares which sound similar to those, but these are only about an inch-and-a-half square. The outsides are a sort of slightly soft pastry, with a raisin filling not unlike mincemeat; they're the sort of thing I shouldn't really like, but I do.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember the Nabisco and Keebler Raisin biscuits. I'm a bigger fan of Fig Newton cookies which were invented in Cambridge. I had a friend who lived in a condo that was converted from the factory.

Nabisco stands for National Biscuit Company. They were a national conglomeration of major bakeries in a number of cities and a number of them contributed popular cookies (or recipes) to the other branches. In addition to the Boston fig Newtons, Manhattan contributed the Oreo ( a copy of the Hydrox chocolate sandwich cookie), Animal crackers and Lorna Doone shortbread cookies.

I still see the Danish butter cookies which come in a blue tin which are sweet and very buttery. They can be found cheaply in some import stores. I had a theory that they were invented to export the European butter surplus mountain by cutting it into round shapes and dusting lightly with flour and sugar. [Smile]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I'm a bigger fan of Fig Newton cookies which were invented in Cambridge.

I don't like Fig Newtons, but when I was living in Belfast I bought a similar cookie with a date filling. I like dates much better than figs.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

.......My dad used to have a weakness for wrapped chocolate biscuits of the Club Wafer/Caramel Wafer ilk, and there was a particular brand which I'm racking my brains to remember the name of - the biscuits were long, narrow, chocolate-coated wafer sandwiches with a lovely rich chocolate ganache in the middle. Wrapped in blue-and-gold foil IIRC........

Blue Riband?
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
jedijudy: She put a special offering in Dad's lunchbox, which he didn't see until he pulled it out in front of his co-workers...a raisin filled cookie almost twelve inches in diameter.
That's some lunchbox [Smile]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I don't like Fig Newtons, but when I was living in Belfast I bought a similar cookie with a date filling. I like dates much better than figs.

If you have the chance to get Middle Eastern pastries locally, look for ma'amoul. I think you'd like them. I know I do.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Piglet
quote:
My dad used to have a weakness for wrapped chocolate biscuits of the Club Wafer/Caramel Wafer ilk, and there was a particular brand which I'm racking my brains to remember the name of - the biscuits were long, narrow, chocolate-coated wafer sandwiches with a lovely rich chocolate ganache in the middle. Wrapped in blue-and-gold foil IIRC.......
Tunnock's Caramel Wafers?

Red and gold wrapped are milk chocolate, Blue and gold are plain.

(Tunnock make the famous Tea Cake and Snowballs)

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Tunnocks also do a Wafer Cream, which might more fit the description of ganache (though I can't speak for it), but it's not blue.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd forgotten lemon puffs - a sort of puff pastry sandwiched with lemon cream filling. Fig roklls are still around, as are "squashed fly" biscuits - Garibaldis. The one I remember though was an oval biscuit filled with "honey and cream" - a sort of honey flavoured sticky jam and a vanilla cream. They had an oval aperture on one side so that you could see the honey jam.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved Fox's Echo biscuits, though they were rather more chocolate than biscuit.

Are chocolate-covered malted milk biscuits still about? The absolute perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea with milk and no sugar.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Athrawes:
Garibaldis were known in our family as ' squashed flies'. I have a recipe, if anyone wants it.

Fly's graveyards in ours..
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
jedijudy: She put a special offering in Dad's lunchbox, which he didn't see until he pulled it out in front of his co-workers...a raisin filled cookie almost twelve inches in diameter.
That's some lunchbox [Smile]
He was a carpenter, with the appetite to match, so a very large lunch box! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
... My dad complained because the four-inch diameter treats were too small ...

Too small??? [Eek!]

There's a lady in our congregation who bakes raisin squares which sound similar to those, but these are only about an inch-and-a-half square. The outsides are a sort of slightly soft pastry, with a raisin filling not unlike mincemeat; they're the sort of thing I shouldn't really like, but I do.

[Big Grin] Well, I often wondered if it would have been easier to put a dozen of the small cookies in his lunch rather than the feat it must have been to bake that larger sized cookie! We children thought the smaller cookies were just fine, they were big enough that we used two hands to eat them!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016