homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Prayer Corners

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Prayer Corners
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a favourite place to pray? Or are there things you use that help you to pray such as icons or candles? What do you have in your prayer corner?

What makes a good prayer space?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like to go to nearby churches outside of service time and position myself on the altar railing right near the eternal light.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we had three children running around the house I found it hard to get a time to pray or a place to do it where I would not get disturbed.

The answer was to run a bath, and to pray whilst relaxing in hot sudsy water.

Now that children have gone I can easily find a quiet time of place, but old habits die hard and I still pray and meditate in the bath.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to pray in the car

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Whilst driving?

Eyes closed?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the church near to where I work a fantastic place to pray. It's surprisingly quiet given the amount of traffic nearby, has plenty of candle stands, smells of incense and contains the Blessed Sacrament. So, perfect for me.

I tried to get into the habit of praying regularly at other times of the day: at my desk, on my train into work etc, but found it incredibly hard.

There's something to be said for time and space set aside for prayer.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine wrote her Master's Thesis in Theology about the use of 'house altars' in the Netherlands. I think it was a rather good thesis. One thing I remember is that these altars can be quite eclectic: for example they could contain a statue of a Catholic Saint next to a Buddha image next to a dream catcher ...

For a time, I had a house altar dedicated to Saint Anthony (of Padua) in my house, for reasons that are too complex / personal to lay out here. Sometimes I would pray there in June.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Anthony of Padua is my birthday saint! [Yipee]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
I tried to get into the habit of praying regularly at other times of the day: at my desk, on my train into work etc, but found it incredibly hard.

Other than a quick arrow prayer for situations a they arise I find commuter trains too stressful to pray in.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me? Something to look at, something to hold, a comfortable chair and half an hour of potential peace
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find walking the dog provides a useful oasis of peace and quiet for prayer free from interruptions.

I have prayers downloaded on my MP3 player too, so I might be praying the Scriptural Rosary, praying Morning or Evening Prayers, depending on the time of day.

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like this.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine is a chair in the room with all the comics boxes, with the Book of Common Prayer nearby.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Leaving aside images in my mind caused by ChastMastr's post of the Book of Common Prayer in comic form
quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
I find walking the dog provides a useful oasis of peace and quiet for prayer free from interruptions.

I have no dog, but I find walking in secluded places to be good places for prayer too.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I don't think for me that it's a physical space. If it's prayer in words, I write/type it, so it's about having my laptop on my knee and seeing the words as I type them. All I see is the laptop screen - my surroundings don't matter. If it's prayer without words, I shut my eyes - it happens inside my head. I like to curl up in a ball under a blanket to do this, because the pressure of my body against itself and of the blanket helps me focus.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find having a space set aside for prayer extrememly helpful - it means I don't have my computer/phone/whatever next to me begging for attention, and I'm not looking at the mess the kids have made. It's a place to retreat to in the midst of daily life.

Having said that, it isn't something I have at the moment. I have small children, work full time, and a husband who works - keeping a space clear for prayer just didn't work. It is a priority for the next house we live in though.

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
Whilst driving?

Eyes closed?

Yes, while driving

Eyes very much open

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I generally find myself saying parts of liturgy when bicycling. Not really an intentional thing, more of a habit. Does this count?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given that I pray on the toilet, i am sure you can pray while cycling.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can, maybe. I can't. I would hit a wall. Which isn't a problem when driving a toilet.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
spork
Shipmate
# 18260

- Posted      Profile for spork   Email spork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I pray in the shower sometimes silently, sometimes out loud (the latter being an annoyance to my Mum, as I often hear 'you alright, love?' coming from the kitchen!)

--------------------
God only made one of me, most people agree this is a good thing

Posts: 62 | From: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Out loud, yes. Which is why when praying and walking I said secluded places.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016