homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Praise in private prayer

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Praise in private prayer
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a new Christian in the 1970s I read books such as Prison to Praise, in fact there were a lot of books about the importance of Praise in the Evangelical bookshops at the time.

Of course it was not long before I found out there was nothing new in this. There have been patterns of prayer (Such as A.C.T.S — Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Suplication) which mention the importance of praise or adoration.

What I am asking is:
  • What is the importance of praise in private prayer, and
  • what makes it important?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's as important as saying 'I love you' to our nearest and dearest. It's important because it's in prayer that we spend the closest time with God.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a way of enjoying God.

Think about it--this is one way we enjoy virtually everything, by praising it. How frustrating it is when you find the perfect recipe or fishing hole but are bound by promise to tell no one about it!

Or think of a person newly in love. What is going on in all that daydreaming and all that (hopefully private) bad poetry? The lover is savoring his beloved's characteristics through praise. And when lovers meet or write, how much of their intimate cov,nversation is praise?

No surprise if those who love God praise him. It's part of the pleasure.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooohhhh...this makes me feel bad. Like a lover who only notices the love he takes utterly for granted, when he's run round and round getting more and more disillusioned with all the other enticements on offer. Back he comes, sulky, bloated and dejected.

Though something like that love is still there. I was in a shop tonight, where I overheard two people discussing a concert taking place in a church. "It's a beautiful building - which is about where my appreciation of churches ends". I felt something odd which I now realise was rather similar to overhearing someone insult my wife.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess one good thing about praising God in prayer from time to time is to reduce the risk of focusing only on our own needs. That can be healthy from time to time.

I once did a sermon on Psalm 150 (possibly the only Psalm where David doesn't complain or ask God for stuff) where I said this more or less.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
. I was in a shop tonight, where I overheard two people discussing a concert taking place in a church. "It's a beautiful building - which is about where my appreciation of churches ends". I felt something odd which I now realise was rather similar to overhearing someone insult my wife.

[Killing me]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's odd, isn't it? We all pray so differently. I find I use praise in prayer is a way that is more like the arrow prayers, the things I pray when I'm out and about, looking at a stunning view, glorious day, autumn colours. Taking time to pray I forget to add in praise.

And trying not to add a tangent to this thread when the Lord's Prayer thread exists, I heard a sermon saying that the Lord's Prayer is a good example of ACTS - Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication - in one prayer.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I guess one good thing about praising God in prayer from time to time is to reduce the risk of focusing only on our own needs. That can be healthy from time to time.

This.

I find that praise is a great way of taking my mind off my own problems and focus on the positive qualities of God.

So if things are happening that I find are unjust, I find it good to praise God because he is a god of justice before bringing the concern. If you formularise this it can sound like the Collects used in Anglican services, which just goes to show threre is nothing ne in praising God.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All good stuff. But we're also closest to God when we're in gutted loss and He's nowhere to be felt.

Noticing beauty is praise. I agree it's nice to tell Him (who?! God-Lord-Father-Jesus-Gelert?).

And praise seems subtly different from thanks. Archaic yet ... a piece of the jigsaw. It's part of traditional corporate liturgy, so don't fix it. And personally appropriate.

A funny business all of it. I like praising God when I don't feel like it. When everything's gone to Hell. Allelujah anyway.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016