homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Saints

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Saints
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do saints form a part of your prayer life? If so, in what way?

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use the Glenstal Abbey prayer book, and each day has a saint listed--"Saint XXX, pray for us".

I also send blessings and thanks to St. Therese of Lisieux, St. Francis, and Julian of Norwich, and to other people whom I consider to be saints (Dorothy Day, Thomas Merton, Etty Hillesum). I say special prayers to St. Therese, St. Francis and Julian of Norwich on their feast days. I have icons of St. Francis and Julian and a prayer card with a photo of St. Therese on a little dresser that I use as a shrine.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a daily mini-Litany of the Saints that I'll use after communion.

Our Lady of Sorrows, (pray for us)
SS. Peter and Paul, (etc.)
St. Joseph,
St. Ephrem of Syria, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Catherine of Sienna,
[Saint of the Day]
Bl. Basile Moreau, St. Andre Bessette,
All you holy women and men.

In my office, I have Holy Family icons to my left (a 'generic' St. Joseph, a crucifixion, Our Lady of Guadalupe) and other saints to my right (St. Patrick, St. Andre, complete with relic, St. Peter being rescued from the sea by Jesus).

I recently went on short pilgrimage to the relics of St. Marcellus on his feast day.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - most of all Mary - I pray the Angelus and Salve Regina daily.

I ask any saint, on his/her feast day to pray for us.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have participated in devotions of St. Anthony and St. George.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago I had asked a friend to recommend a book for me to read. She gave me Spiritual Counsels, by Father John of Kronstadt. A few months later she phoned and asked me how it was going. I squirmed. I told her I didn't know; he rather repeated himself a lot. So she told me to pray to him every time I sat down to read the book, and ask him to help me understand what he was going to teach me. Well, I didn't like that one bit! I replied that I had gotten used to praying to Mary in church (sort of), but that was the extent of things and I couldn't do anything like that. She said just try. So, I did, fumblingly, and humbly, but very sincerely wanting to learn. The most amazing things began to happen. That book opened up. And if I had a question in church, or about a Scripture passage over the next few months, it would be answered in the very next reading. Honestly, it got so that I was rather scared to pray again and open the book! I finished it with tears, and learned only afterward that Father John was a Saint, and where Kronstadt was, and who he was.

Months later I was in a friends house during prayers, having just driven there through tornado winds to pick up children, and an icon on the wall kept staring at me, more so than others, if you know what I mean. "You know me", he seemed to smile. I asked a teenager afterward who it was, and she shrugged, "St. John somebody. Probably Maxamovich." "No," I said, "That is St. John of Kronstadt."

St. John was my first spiritual father, and he taught me how to pray to the Saints (and how to read books). Now I have countless other Saint friends, Godly men and women who have gone before us into Heaven and who are willing to pray for us, if we get to know them.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praying to saints hasn't been part of my tradition, but I have found myself drawn to St. Martin de Porres. He is such a kindly, generous, loving man that I occasionally ask him to pray for me.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes our Lady of course but just hail mary or Rosary.

St. John Southworth a lot i just say

"St. JS pray for us / me"

St. John xx111 also a lot.

Julian of Norwich

St Antony of Padua

St Teresa of L

and her of Carmel.

The OT Trinity icon and Xt the Teacher icon.

Also invoke the Sacred Heart inwardly.

Others, of course, as and when.
Saint of the day invoked.
also mind / pray goes off in the silence to the blessed dead and it is more like being with them than intercession and then their saintlikeness touches me. Both my nan, my gran and adults from childhood. And since.

S School teachers, ministers...........

blessed company.

my partner and i say the our father, hail mary, glory be x 2; and also morning and evening collects. Also childlike prayer for safety during sleep !

Jesus of course

'our life is hid with Christ in God.'

[ 17. November 2014, 22:05: Message edited by: fullgospel ]

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Praying to saints hasn't been part of my tradition, but I have found myself drawn to St. Martin de Porres. He is such a kindly, generous, loving man that I occasionally ask him to pray for me.

When my church was amalgamated with our neighbours a couple of years ago the new parish was named after St Martin de Porres. The more I find out about the man, the happier I am with the decision. He's always depicted with a broom signifying humble and hard work, and often a cat and mouse drinking from the same saucer.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saints are such a natural part of my prayer life. From the Blessed Virgin Mary under her title of Our Lady of Guadalupe to a number of people who haven't been canonized but who I think were saintly in this life I invoke them everyday in my morning prayers, my evening prayers, and in different circumstances.

It's hard to know where to start. St. Francis of Assisi is special to me even though I tend to forget him sometimes. After the Virgin Mary he was the first saint to have made an impression on me when I was little. There are others I frequently invoke or in whom I'm interested. For example, in the past few years I've become drawn to St. Benedict Joseph Labre and in my piles of books there is a biography of St. Hildegarde of Bingen that I want to read soon.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to read your post.

I too am drawn to Hildegarde and also Mother Julian of Norwich.

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016