homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » News from Gaza... or propaganda?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: News from Gaza... or propaganda?
Graham J
Apprentice
# 505

- Posted      Profile for Graham J     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The old cliché about truth being the first casualty of war certainly seems to apply in the current conflict.
There seems to be no shortage of rumours, accusations and downright lies but where do shipmates turn for more reliable news or information?

--------------------
GJ

Posts: 46 | From: Örebro, Sweden | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Myself. Where the gift of the Holy Spirit continues to pour in through the old, broken sewer. My engraced liberal inclusive transcendent metanarrative. Held in this vessel, these septic entrails of diseased dung and febrile blood that feels lifetimes aged.

Where else?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graham J:
but where do shipmates turn for more reliable news or information?

People who are actually there or who know people who are there. (Apols to Gertrude Stein)
Blogs, and the Facebook, Twitter etc where you have first-person accounts.

I just today saw the first serious article in The Guardian on "the tunnels" after nearly a month of The Current Round.

I think though it's not just about finding and then sifting through reliable information and coming to a conclusion.
It's about how you carry on in hope and action when your reality out-strips your theology.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not convinced that just because you are 'there' you are more reliable as a witness. But I do try to get different points of view: Aljazeera as well as the BBC. But I wouldn't trust Russia Today!

Actually, increasingly I prefer Aljazeera. Yes I know it's also biased but it does provide positive news stories more of the time. It seems to tend more to 'How amazing that people can cope with such disasters' and 'Look what good can be done' rather than 'It's all dreadful and hopeless, so here are some more pictures of suffering/dead people'. That said, even they struggle to find much good in Gaza.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You have to decide whom you can trust. I put my faith in (New Zealand churches') Christian World Service, who are in the toughest places alongside local Christian organisations. Their reports on Palestine ring true to me.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a blog post on this, and I don't believe that there are any reliable sources. All the sources of information are biased (this is actually always true, but more definitively so over this issue).

The only answer is to take information from multiple sources, with differing biases, and see if there is any truth available between all of them. Only believe 40% of what any one place tells you.

In the end, this is all I can really say [warning - language] Stop it

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree - you can't trust anyone. You can read between the lines - for example, some journos look seriously freaked out about Gaza, not in political terms, but just seeing children's body parts scattered round. I suppose one might draw political conclusions from that.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here you go...

Unbiased news from around the globe

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might find that funny if I didn't think there was a fair to middling chance you were serious, deano.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Here you go...

Unbiased news from around the globe

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Wait, we're you serious?

(Sorry for the x-post)

[ 03. August 2014, 18:19: Message edited by: Kyzyl ]

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I agree - you can't trust anyone. You can read between the lines - for example, some journos look seriously freaked out about Gaza, not in political terms, but just seeing children's body parts scattered round. I suppose one might draw political conclusions from that.

Of course, you have to be certain that a) it is Gaza (or wherever someone says it is) and b) that the cause of it is what it is reported to be.

The problem is that all parties - supporters and protaganists - are using the media to push their interpretation. They are not above using pictures from other events for their purposes.

It is right to say that children blown up is wrong. Then the challenge is to find out exactly why someone blew those particular children to pieces.

This conflict is a prime example of Baudrillard's hyperreality - "The Gulf War did not take place" could be replaced by "The Gaza conflict did not take place". In his terms, this conflict is not taking place.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure Deano must be joking ...

Mustn't he ... [Eek!]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps he is joking ... he thinks Faux News is dangerously liberal or left-wing ...

[Big Grin] [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no such thing as unbiased news, because there's no such thing as an unbiased person. The best solution is to just use a variety of sources, and be suspicious if something is only reported by one source.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Deanos post is hilarious, whether he is joking or not.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I switched to CNN for 9 11 only. From the BBC. It gets the balance better than any and all others by a country mile.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best option, I find, is to select sources from each side. I use The Jerusalem Post for the Israeli perspective, Al Jazeera for the Arab perspective, and The New York Times and Ha'aretz for more detached reporting.
Graham J
Apprentice
# 505

- Posted      Profile for Graham J     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the responses. Multiple sources is the way to go, I guess. One thing that I find extremely disturbing is the way that people who I would normally respect seem willing to accept the coverage of media that seem to me to be obviously partisan.
Surely we each have a responsibility not to spread rumours or lies?

--------------------
GJ

Posts: 46 | From: Örebro, Sweden | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
3M Matt
Shipmate
# 1675

- Posted      Profile for 3M Matt   Email 3M Matt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best option, I think, is really know your history and the geopolitical backdrop to any situation.

It's far too easy to point a TV camera at something, and ignore the context which that thing is happening in.

For example, suppose the only thing you knew about World War II was the firebombing of Dresden, and the American nuclear attacks on Japan...without any context of Nazism etc etc...how warped could your view be?

I think, unless you feel reasonably confident that you understand the history of the region, (From the Ottoman empire, the Balfore declaration, the British Mandate, the creation of the state of Jordan, the Establishment of Israel, the 6 day war, the first and second intafada, the Rise and fall of the PLO and the rise and rise of Hamas....)

Unless you have clearly established in your mind the timeline and significance of those events, and can have a reasonably clear mental-map picture of the geography of Egypt, Israel, Jordan, The West Bank and Gaza...then, frankly...I'd suggest you can't put what's happening in Israel into any sense of context, any more than you could comment on the morality of World War II if all you knew of World War II was that the American B29 Enola Gay dropped a nuke on Hiroshima and killed 135,000 men, women and children.

--------------------
3M Matt.

Posts: 1227 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you speak German, Jungle World (fortnightly) and konkret (monthly) offer reliable news/analysis on Israel.

[ 19. August 2014, 19:00: Message edited by: Rosa Winkel ]

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3M Matt, thank you, that is enormously helpful to me.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3M Matt:
I think, unless you feel reasonably confident that you understand the history of the region, (From the Ottoman empire, the Balfore declaration, the British Mandate, the creation of the state of Jordan, the Establishment of Israel, the 6 day war, the first and second intafada, the Rise and fall of the PLO and the rise and rise of Hamas....)

Unless you have clearly established in your mind the timeline and significance of those events, and can have a reasonably clear mental-map picture of the geography of Egypt, Israel, Jordan, The West Bank and Gaza...then, frankly...I'd suggest you can't put what's happening in Israel into any sense of context [...]

And who exactly do you think is qualified, by your standards?

Will we be hearing more from you on the topic, or does modesty forbid?

(And why only start with the Ottoman Empire, founded in 1299? Johnny-come-latelies if you ask me...)

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to add, that this topic is dropping down the page and Gaza is disappearing from national news but the body count is still rising. The deputy PM of the Israeli government has strongly advised killing or deporting everyone currently in Gaza, and making the whole area part of Israel under Israeli control.

[ 24. August 2014, 07:41: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
There is no such thing as unbiased news, because there's no such thing as an unbiased person.

And all news is selective, simply because there are a finite number of hours and pages to fill, and a limited number of journalists who can't be everywhere or see everything. Even local residents cannot see the whole picture. Good news editors will try to limit bias, but it's not easy.

Of course - as I heard a highly-educated Kurdish lady say in this town just a few days ago - you can simply give up and say that all news is lies anyway. I can see why she said that, but I disagree; I'm sure that many newspapers and channel try their very best.

[ 24. August 2014, 07:54: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be the right place to ask - does any one know a good charity working in Gaza? One where you feel fairly sure the money given goes to first aid rather than guns?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Disasters Emergency Committee

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheers

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lutheran World Relief is working in Gaza

There is an online magazine that is jointly owned by Arab and Jewish journalists, called +972 Magazine. +972 is the international area code for Israel and Palestine.

I have been following its reports.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016