homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 23 minutes in hell (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 23 minutes in hell
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible study bunch watched a DVD, 23 minutes in hell, about a supposed near death experience-like trip to hell, the DVD is also on YouTube. I was having fun trying to catch all the unBiblical imagery and mis-used verses (including his translating every Old Testament reference to the place of the dead as Hell which he equates with the iron-barred burning-hot demon-infested place he "visited").

At the end, my reaction to the portrayal of a god who arranges for some of his sensate creatures to spend endless forever being tortured in multiple ways beyond the worse dealings by human despots, beyond the imagination of Stephen King, my reaction was "that's not the God I know." Not even a family resemblance. If I thought that was God, I would have no admiration for or desire to imitate god!

What really intrigued me - several in the group loved it, want to buy copies to show it to their unsaved friends.

Do people really think a person who is unsure if there is any god would be attracted to a god who is portrayed as the kind of personality we would judge in any human as criminal or insane?

Has fear of hell ever converted anyone to believe in a God of love your neighbor?

I'm not wanting to debate here "does hell exist" but the more immediate this-world question of whether non-believers in god get convinced by Bible spouting videos that hell is real, and convert to theism as a result?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
What really intrigued me - several in the group loved it

I think this gets to the heart of the matter.

Some believers seem to enjoy what a pastor friend of mine refers to rather catchingly as terreur delicieuse (delcious terror); a sort of spiritualised mix of Schadenfreude and voyeurism.

It underpins the success of back-from-the-dead testimonies (of which this is just one of a long line), Damascus-road conversions in which more space is given to the lurid "before" part than the "after" part, and the world of Chick comics and Left Behind - as well as being a nice little earner if you can break into the market.

In short, it's more about self-pleasuring entertainment for christians than any serious attempt to evangelise; and by trivialising Hell (apparently Bill Wiese finds the screaming of billions of people in hell "annoying") any serious discussion of the topic is rendered impossible.

Catholic historian Jean Delumeau has described such efforts at evangelism through terror as the pastorale de la peur ("shepherding through fear"), which he sees as a major factor in the decline of Christianity in the West.

[ETA warning: posting on this thread will lead you to see the following message: Going to 23 minutes in hell [Ultra confused] ]

[ 14. August 2014, 07:32: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
[ETA warning: posting on this thread will lead you to see the following message: Going to 23 minutes in hell [Ultra confused] ]

Not a problem; I arrived here via the Bakerloo line. [Razz]

The concerning thing about this method of 'evangelism' (in a very loose sense of the word) besides the theological issues is that those who would want to show it to their friends would seem to have a very un-empathetic mindset.

It is as though they do not realise that someone may come at it from a different angle and be put off by it. A presumption of truth is a dangerous thing and merely expecting someone to believe something wholly, unquestioningly at the first time of asking is simply unrealistic.

Even if you do subscribe to the theology that engenders this view of hell, there seems to be little heeding of Jesus' advice to make their evangelism effective, to "be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves".

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the first few seconds, and your description, and decided it was the same old, same old.

Given that there are thousands in Iraq who have been through several days of hell, this sort of film seems to be meaningless and self-pleasuring.

It does represent one end of the con evo approach. On the one side, hell is scary and horrid, and they use fear tactics to scare people into the kingdom. And no, it doesn't work, not in the long term. People don't develop a relationship to a loving God out of fear of hell.

The other side is the sappy, squishy "love letter from God" type of understanding of God and heaven. A God who is as wet as that is not attractive to most people.

As Eutychus pointed out, it is only insiders who like this sort of crap - either the fear tactics or the sentimentality. It is an indication that they have lost all of their real emotions, which would be throwing up at either side of this.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the only group whose behavior would be influenced by this would be people who already had doubts about their unethical behavior--people who had a vague belief in God, combined with a conviction that they could get away with ignoring any commandments.

I do not see this as the best way to reach such people. When people are scared they can't think clearly, and once the fear wears off they resume their former behavior.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Moo said.

Do we really want converts based on fear? Does God? IMHO those are probably not real converts at all.

I do believe Hell exists, but I don't believe it does us a whole lot of good to dwell on the subject, unless we as Christians need a kick in the pants to get serious about something God wants us to be serious about, and we're airy-fairily ignoring (say, mission and evangelism). Like the signs on mountain highways that say "steep drop on right of road." They are NOT put there to encourage you to drive as close as possible to the edge, so you can look over and get a good view.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there, by any remote chance, money involved?

Why would God send someone to hell to report back - didn't Jesus say that the only sign we'd have was that of Jonah.

[Seems a bit like the box jellyfish man to me].

[ 14. August 2014, 13:46: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably.

What bugs me is the lack of scientific integrity. These "hellfire" near-death-experiences don't fit with the research on NDEs (neither does "heaven is for real", btw). Which ultimately is going to undermine their credibility. And when you drag Jesus into your anti-science, make stuff up to fit your theology, anything for a sale con you end up undermining Christianity.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I've heard about it and will probably have time to watch it tonight. All I've had time for this morning is this.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
Thanks. I've heard about it and will probably have time to watch it tonight. All I've had time for this morning is this.

Amusing song, thanks! (I would never sing it myself.)

The comment about "delicious terror" awakens a recognition - I have friends who LOVE horror movies. Me, I never could stand watching people get hurt, had to look down at my lap during some scenes in Roy Rogers movies, never liked slapstick even as a kid, just didn't get that gene. But I have friends form whom the more violent and realistically gory a movie the better.

Is there money in it? I ran into a quote from some biggish name saying if you want money talk about hell. But other web pages say books claiming a visit to heaven sell better.

I forgot to mention I'm also collecting scientific errors, along with Bible mis-quotes. [Smile]

I'm debating whether to raise the issues in the next discussion or keep quiet; if they derive delight from thoughts of a hell more gruesome than the Bible hints at, they may resist/resent and reject any proofs that he mis-quotes/mis-interprets the Bible and science. In which case better to stay silent until the next topic. (I suspect we are in for one more session of NDEs and similar dreams of heaven and hell.)

Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It never ceases to amaze me how many Christians have such a low opinion of God's goodness. If they actually thought about how God would feel about their beliefs they would realise they have no faith in his goodness !
Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I think that the only group whose behavior would be influenced by this would be people who already had doubts about their unethical behavior--people who had a vague belief in God, combined with a conviction that they could get away with ignoring any commandments.

I do not see this as the best way to reach such people. When people are scared they can't think clearly, and once the fear wears off they resume their former behavior.

Moo

In the past, there clearly were some people who were genuinely afraid of the terrors that hell might hold for them. As you say, these were probably people who already had a familiarity with Christianity, but were not living the devout lives that they suspected they should have been living.

Nowadays, Western people are less familiar with Christianity in the first place, but we also have more of a cultural problem with authority figures, (physical) punishment and perhaps simply envisioning a high level of pain. IOW, we're used to feeling autonomous and negotiating our own spiritual and/or moral path, and we're both more disapproving of violence, yet also unfazed by visual depictions of it..

Also, with the improvements in medicine and living standards fewer and fewer of us experience or witness ongoing severe pain (and when we do we treat it as an indignity) so it's hard to imagine what that might be like. Death has been sanitised and largely removed to hospitals, which means it's easier to pretend it'll never happen to us (and which of us has ever witnessed a 'deathbed conversion' rather than theorising about them at a distance?).

For these reasons, I doubt that any but a tiny number of us could be 'frightened into faith' now.

(BTW, I've only watched a few snapshots from that video. It's too long! Also, sadly, it's a bit culturally alienating. That shouldn't matter for such an important subject, but I find it hard to relate to that primped look and the background music and the earnest expressions. Maybe it's because I'm British, but those perfect teeth just put me off. All the better for gnashing with in hell, I suppose!)

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arminian:
It never ceases to amaze me how many Christians have such a low opinion of God's goodness. If they actually thought about how God would feel about their beliefs they would realise they have no faith in his goodness !

We've discussed God's goodness in the context of some activities of God's followers attributed to divine order and inspiration. God may be good but some ideas about are bad.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Some believers seem to enjoy what a pastor friend of mine refers to rather catchingly as terreur delicieuse (delcious terror); a sort of spiritualised mix of Schadenfreude and voyeurism.

Good Lord, it's like an ostensibly Christian Grand Guignol. In the US we have things like that called "Hell Houses" around Halloween put out by Fundamentalist churches that depict people (usually gay, or sexually active teens, or people using drugs, or the issue du jour) dying and going to a lurid Hell, and then there's a sort of altar call room at the end where you either accept Jesus or go off, knowing you've been warned of the doom that awaits your unsaved soul, etc.

Wikipedia

Hell House documentary

Make your own!

A disturbingly vague web site that doesn't make it immediately obvious that this is a religious Fundamentalist thing

“I’m either going to put you in the abortion room,” Brother Thomas says, “or the drunk-driving room.”

Youtube clip of a Hell House

(Some of these are about the same one in Texas)

[ 15. August 2014, 01:42: Message edited by: ChastMastr ]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did he recognize anyone in hell?

(I'm always up for some score-settling, Dante style [Biased] )

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that his NDE is very different from just about all the other accounts of hellish experience NDE's I've read. That alone makes me a bit suspicious and the very slick presentation with scripture references blurted out without any context doesn't help. Not convinced.
Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am one person who feared Hell and and got saved many years ago, and my wife says that,she was afraid of going to hell before she made a commitment. I don't know how anyone can joke about it specialy Christians, it is an awful place. The Bible describes it as a lake of fire. I think about members of my family who are away from The Lord and pray for them. I don't even want to see the video It would depress me too much.
Posts: 1050 | From: england | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice to see you posting, barrea!

There's a difference between personal reflections, or even hearing preaching about Hell, and organising tours and merchandising to promote one's own alleged personal experience of 23 minutes* of it. I think that's what's really deprecatory.

*A suspiciously exact figure. I'm reminded of a line in The Honourable Schoolboy: "the historic moment of delivery was later put at six past five, which was a lie but gave it force."

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good morning Barrea! It IS nice to see you back. I'm surprised that fear seems to have worked as a motivator for you. Shows what I know about human beings, I guess. [Hot and Hormonal] How long in would you say that love took over? Genuinely curious.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

- Posted      Profile for barrea     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Good morning Barrea! It IS nice to see you back. I'm surprised that fear seems to have worked as a motivator for you. Shows what I know about human beings, I guess. [Hot and Hormonal] How long in would you say that love took over? Genuinely curious.

As one goes own in the faith you appreciate the love of God more and more and realise what it took Jesusv to die for us.I suppose one would ca.lt growing in grace..

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It does represent one end of the con evo approach. On the one side, hell is scary and horrid, and they use fear tactics to scare people into the kingdom. And no, it doesn't work, not in the long term. People don't develop a relationship to a loving God out of fear of hell.

Con evo? Just look where they got it from...!

[code]

[ 16. August 2014, 16:11: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha ha ... the jury's out on whether Dante took it literally, though.

Mind you, some of the hell and damnation frescoes in Florence are enough to give anyone nightmares ...

I visited the Orthodox monastery at Tolleshunt Knights in Essex earlier this week. Elder Sophrony insisted on there being a fresco of the Repentant Thief to show that there was always a chance of salvation ...

He also insisted that the weighing scales held by the angel on the Last Judgement scene were tilted down on the virtues side - even though the lovely Romanian nun who showed us round said that they should really be weighted on the vices side ...

Some little demons were standing by, frustrated ... and others were drowning in the river of fire that emanated from the Throne ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't Love grand? Love gets to kill AND torture those it kills afterwards forever and ever! Result!! Win-win. Love is soooooooo good. Thank God God is love!!! Imagine how bad it would be if He weren't?!?!

Violence is just sooooooo redemptive isn't it?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should point out that the Inferno is just one third of the Divine Comedy--it's just the main bit that gets assigned in colleges and schools. The Paradiso is absolutely beautiful but no one bothers with that because they assume people sizzling on grids are more interesting. [Frown]

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

I'm having trouble with the lake of fire being anything remotely literal when all the rest of the imagery it sits in the midst of seems to be symbolic, not at all literal.

Like, how do you throw death into a lake of fire as if death is a physical thing that can be tossed here and there like a football? (any shape football).

Anyway, it seems to be "fire and brimstone", not just fire. I've been looking up brimstone, which seems to be just another word for sulphur, which seems to have long and ancient association with spiritual purification. Spiritual Terrorism (on google books) says at Bible writing times it was used as a medicine, as a purification of a house after disease, and to symbolize offering prayers of purification.

It is sold today for "performing exorcisms, providing spiritual protection, and during spiritual purification rituals" etc. "Sulphur is ...a stone of vitality and energy... said to bring protection and purification. Sulphur is used in metaphysics to purify and detoxify ...thoughts," "Crystal Meaning" web page

Which raises a question whether the "lake of fire and brimstone" refers to a temporary purification process (like a refining fire, like a purifying sulphur), more like the RCC's temporary purgatory with a purpose of fitting for heaven, than like the Protestant everlasting punishment with no redeeming purpose.

Just wondering out loud.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said on a completely different thread recently, it's strange how quickly certain types of Christians change from preaching a gospel of love, to preaching about the devil, demons, the dark side. Sometimes, the paranoia-induced stuff can take over and take up more discussion time than the positive side of Christianity. It is almost as if, having made converts by the love method, they want to make sure they keep them there by the fear method.

I don't think it ultimately works though - if people see through it and decide they have been 'had', they usually reject the whole lot, not just the bad stuff.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently, on a literal reading, Heaven is hotter than Hell

But there is, obviously, some argument about that. For instance, if we are "luminous beings" in Heaven, we would be radiating and thus cooling ourselves (except during group hugs, which would be hot), so we might not perceive the hotness of Heaven.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

I think what I've picked up here (and web-surfing) is two reasons, maybe three, some Christians like hell.

1. Desire for revenge. Those nasty people who did bad stuff to me (lied to me, hit and run my car, etc) may get away with it short term but they are going to SUFFER!

2. Delight in having something good others don't have. Some people get special pleasure out of having something unique, lose pleasure in it if they discover everyone else has it too.

3. The "delicious terror" idea, which might be relayed to an observation I heard years ago, we are an adrenaline addicted society. Adrenaline makes you "feel alive" so long as the threat is not against you personally (in which case it's just terror, not delicious terror).

The delicious aspect is reduced by fear of family members going to eternal torment, and I hear a that fear expressed rather often in the Bible study bunch, about aunts and uncles, and grown children. Heartbreaking fear of being in heaven without those they love. Justified by things like "we are supposed to love God more than we love our family"

If I'm going to publicly question the idea of eternal terrible torture just for not having heard about Jesus or not understanding the message, I need to be aware of the dangers of resistance to "taking their fun away" or "need for revenge" or whatever else. In addition to being able to deal with all the verses they've had drilled into them as supposed proof of eternal torment for 90% of humanity.

I appreciate the discussion here.

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Ew. I hope that's not the motivation for most Christians! [Frown]

I believe in it because it's part of the faith which has been handed down, it agrees with the plain sense of Scripture, and it seems to me to be the logical effect of having free will which is really free.

I would love to be wrong. I would love for everyone to be saved, even the Devil.

(I believe that God would also love for everyone to be saved.)

What makes the most sense to me is that the door to Hell is locked on the inside, with a perpetual/eternal/continuous "no, I won't!" on the part of the damned.

As well, what makes sense to me is the idea that the flames and pain and torment are not some added invention of God's (here's where the lake of fire goes, next to the ash pit where we keep the giant killer voles, etc.), but the experience of being immersed in God's love and still rejecting it, so what would normally be ecstatic joy and light and bliss instead burns.

--------------------

Green Mario
Shipmate
# 18090

- Posted      Profile for Green Mario     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belle Ringer - I think the main reason why some Christians seem to "like" hell is that they feel a sense of righteousness that they are being true to the bible no matter how far it takes them away from their natural inclinations or what makes logical sense to human reason.

I guess their may also be a desire for justice but I can't see how eternal conscious suffering fits that, even for Hitler let alone for ordinary unrepentant sinners.

I go for Annihilation/ conditional immortality although more because I think this can be taken from the biblical texts and I think it is a far more palatable choice that seems more consistent with God being a God of love rather than because I think the scriptural basis for this position is water tight; universalism is attractive but I really can't see how this can be arrived at from the entirety of the New Testament.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belle Ringer, that point about sulphur had never struck me! And it should, because of something I'm interested in in the Odyssey, where sulphur appears twice. Once where the sinning crew are destroyed, and then again where Odysseus burns it to purify the hall after the massacre of the suitors (again sinners). Of course, in these instances, the sinners are not being prepared for salvation. The lot of them get to go down as shades into Hades. (Both lots have sinned against the laws of hospitality, the crew by exceeding the permission to stay on the island of Helios and killing and eating his herds, the suitors by doing much the same with Odysseus' home. Only just noticed that symmetry, irrelevant here.)

It isn't just used spiritually for cleansing, of course. Sulphur candles are burned in greenhouses to fumigate them.

I wonder how much the brimstone was borrowed from surrounding beliefs - and nearby volcanoes, the source of the stuff of course. (Brimstone because it forms on the edges of gas vents in volcanic areas.)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And a different thought, more on the thread track. After seeing our C&W friend playing with words, I wonder if there's an association between societies which focus on hell in this way, and those which find it appropriate to use "enhanced interrogation techniques".
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
After seeing our C&W friend playing with words

I literally have no idea what this means or who it refers to. [Confused]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:

The link in this.
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Oh, Country and Western!!! Thank you. [Overused]

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think what I've picked up here (and web-surfing) is two reasons, maybe three, some Christians like hell.

1. Desire for revenge. Those nasty people who did bad stuff to me (lied to me, hit and run my car, etc) may get away with it short term but they are going to SUFFER!

I'm not sure that my mother would have said this later in life but, aged 42ish, she told me that she was quite looking forward to being dead as she'd be able to sit in Heaven and look down on those who'd wronged her whilst they suffered eternal torment in Hell. I am sure that my vicar father would have been appalled at the concept - it certainly contributed to my pulling away from belief.

It is claimed that humanity is the only species that can fear imaginary situations - there are many businesses that have thrived on creating imaginary fears to which only they can provide, at a price, the antidote - some are considered to be religions.

ISTM that to think that a loving god would create subjects with the foreknowledge that they were going eternal torment requires some serious mental gymnastics - millions seem to have no problem with it though and it crops up fairly frequently as a recurrent sales point in certain evangelistic efforts

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
barrea
Shipmate
# 3211

quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
quote:

I'm not sure that my mother would have said this later in life but, aged 42ish, she told me that she was quite looking forward to being dead as she'd be able to sit in Heaven and look down on those who'd wronged her whilst they suffered eternal torment in Hell. I am sure that my vicar father would have been appalled at the concept - it certainly contributed to my pulling away from belief.

It is claimed that humanity is the only species that can fear imaginary situations - there are many businesses that have thrived on creating imaginary fears to which only they can provide, at a price, the antidote - some are considered to be religion.

ISTM that to think that a loving god would create subjects with the foreknowledge that they were going eternal torment requires some serious mental gymnastics - millions seem to have no problem with it though and it crops up fairly frequently as a recurrent sales point in certain evangelistic efforts

I don' think that there are many people that like Hell or the thought of It,I have never met any of them, and I certainly don't, but people believe in it because it is in the Bible, Jesus talks of Hell and He was speaking to his disciples. An evavngelist if he is true to the Bible must preach about sin and the consequences of sin and the need for repentance, which is left out of a lot of today's preaching. You can't just dismiss it because it is not a popular subject.

--------------------
Therefore having been justified by faith,we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:1

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
]I don' think that there are many people that like Hell or the thought of It,I have never met any of them, and I certainly don't, but people believe in it because it is in the Bible, Jesus talks of Hell and He was speaking to his disciples. An evavngelist if he is true to the Bible must preach about sin and the consequences of sin and the need for repentance, which is left out of a lot of today's preaching. You can't just dismiss it because it is not a popular subject.

And yet Jesus mentions hell precisely four times. Four. While spending virtually his entire ministry speaking on the Kingdom of heaven. Hundreds of references to the Kingdom, four re hell. So where should his followers place the emphasis in their teaching & preaching?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by barrea:
]I don' think that there are many people that like Hell or the thought of It,I have never met any of them, and I certainly don't, but people believe in it because it is in the Bible, Jesus talks of Hell and He was speaking to his disciples...

And yet Jesus mentions hell precisely four times. Four. While spending virtually his entire ministry speaking on the Kingdom of heaven. Hundreds of references to the Kingdom, four re hell. So where should his followers place the emphasis in their teaching & preaching?
I cannot claim to have finished my study of hell, considering that a lifetime of being taught to read the Bible as saying death and hell is the overwhelming victor, Jesus manages to rescue only a few - it is going to take a long time to rethink and re-decide (re-affirm, modify, or reverse) what I think is going on.

But the image of fire is used in the Bible so often to indicate God's presence, why couldn't that be true of Hell-fire? I know some think "justice" mean "punishment" but there are whole other meanings, like restitution, reconciliation, healing of the anguish/anger that drove a person to do evil and healing the pain resulting from the evil - these sound more like God's values than infliction of maximum pain for no purpose but to cause suffering.

But mostly, what's the Revelation trying to show us? Jesus died and was resurrected to save all the world, but he failed in his mission?

And if pagans believe their dead are no longer existing, how is it good news to tell them "your loved ones aren't just dead, they are suffering terrible torment forever!" That's GOOD NEWS!? [Confused]

So when I read that the concept of "eternal" hell is not in the Bible anywhere, OT has no sense of death leading to torment, NT occasionally mentions an "age of chastisement" but not "an eternity of torment" - well, I have a lot of study still to do! Wish I knew Greek instead of depending on lexicons.

Oh well, the question for tonight's gathering is how to indicate I'm not sure I buy the concept of eternal torment, and do it in a way that generates discussion instead to causing minds to slam shut with the accusation I've heard elsewhere - "if you don't believe in Hell you go to Hell."

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green Mario:
I go for Annihilation/ conditional immortality although more because I think this can be taken from the biblical texts and I think it is a far more palatable choice that seems more consistent with God being a God of love rather than because I think the scriptural basis for this position is water tight; universalism is attractive but I really can't see how this can be arrived at from the entirety of the New Testament.

It does appear to me, as well, that the scriptures teach conditional immortality. The gift of God is eternal life and the lost are tossed into the gaping maw to be destroyed. I suspect it may look something like what happened to Smeagol.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
And if pagans believe their dead are no longer existing

I don't think I've known any pagans who believe that way; many believe in some form of reincarnation.

--------------------

Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

I don't think I've known any pagans who believe that way; many believe in some form of reincarnation.
Did ancient Romans and ancient Greeks believe in reincarnation? (I'm asking, I don't know, my high school mythology course didn't mention reincarnation, but lots of other stuff wasn't mentioned either.)

Using the word "pagan" as I understand it to include all non-Christians, most of my atheist friends are pagans and they believe death is just the end. In fact, most were reared in "Christan" households and rejected the cruel god they were taught, that's why they became atheists. Telling them to believe their loved ones are in perpetual torment would not be welcomed as good news!

Doesn't Paul say something about pagans deep sorrow about death of a loved one but we know better? If what we know is that most dead people suffer terribly, we should be more miserable at a loved one's death, not less!

Anyway, tonight at the Bible study bunch was interesting, basically they said God's primarily value is judgment, love and mercy are just secondary values. And they said judgment means punishment, not reconciliation. I guess we are suppose to love and bless our enemies while God tortures his enemies, and we are not supposed to imitate God's values?

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
[QUOTE]
Anyway, tonight at the Bible study bunch was interesting, basically they said God's primarily value is judgment, love and mercy are just secondary values. And they said judgment means punishment, not reconciliation. I guess we are suppose to love and bless our enemies while God tortures his enemies, and we are not supposed to imitate God's values?

Not the first time, but your church makes me [Waterworks]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Did ancient Romans and ancient Greeks believe in reincarnation? (I'm asking, I don't know, my high school mythology course didn't mention reincarnation, but lots of other stuff wasn't mentioned either.)

Actually I'm referring to contemporary pagans. People who self-identify as pagans, basically.

quote:
Using the word "pagan" as I understand it to include all non-Christians
That's not current usage, alas.

quote:
Telling them to believe their loved ones are in perpetual torment would not be welcomed as good news!

Agreed!

quote:

I'm sorry, but have you thought of looking for another church?

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It was one of a range of options:
quote:
Among the ancient Greeks, the Orphic mystery religion held that a preexistent soul survives bodily death and is later reincarnated in a human or other mammalian body, eventually receiving release from the cycle of birth and death and regaining its former pure state. Plato, in the 5th–4th century bce, believed in an immortal soul that participates in frequent incarnations.
- "reincarnation." Britannica School. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 2014. Web. 19 Aug. 2014. <http://library.eb.co.uk/levels/adult/article/63098>.

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

Anyway, tonight at the Bible study bunch was interesting, basically they said God's primarily value is judgment, love and mercy are just secondary values. And they said judgment means punishment, not reconciliation.

Not the first time, but your church makes me [Waterworks]
Not a church, just a Bible study bunch I've been on and off attending for a dozen years. Recent change of leadership has affected topic choices. I'm debating whether to fade away or stick around to throw in my 2 cents occasionally.

The prior leader showed up, mostly kept quiet, spoke up near the end to say most of the popular concept of hell is from Dante's Inferno, not from the Bible. The others are convinced the Bible says Hell was made for Satan and that means it was given to Satan to rule. I didn't realize some think dualism is plainly stated in the Bible!

Worth knowing what (some) people think the Bible teaches. Not their fault, they get it from their preachers.

As to why people need to believe in eternal torment, the idea that God is primarily about judgment indicates their preachers wrestle with how can eternal torment be consistent with a love never ends God. Concluding that love is not God's dominant characteristic is one way to resolve the conflict. I think it's the wrong way, but at least they are admitting to the conflict.

[code]

[ 19. August 2014, 19:04: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by Cliffdweller;
quote:
This is perhaps not entirely accurate - Jesus only uses the word 'hell' four times, but refers quite a bit more often to equivalent ideas, e.g., losing your soul, or 'condemnation'. And I don't think the Son of God would make such references if he didn't take them seriously himself, if he didn't believe some kind of loss of the soul was possible and that we need to be warned against it.

On the other hand -
- the imagery of 'Gehenna' may be less about literal fire etc., and more about the reality that Gehenna was an unholy place that had become a rubbish tip, with fires that destroyed but also purified
- this point about 'imagery' is probably true of most of the references to the loss suffered by the wicked; that is, it is imagery and should not be interpreted with crass literalness.

There is an issue here often unrecognised - that the people who throw most scorn on the concept of hell are often precisely those who most resist the idea that God should coercively change them; but put simply, if people choose to be unfit for heaven, while claiming it would be immoral for God to change them against their will ... what can be done with them?

And secondary to that, there is an issue of justice - another of those aspects that Jesus does talk about; for the unrepentant there is surely a perfectly proper issue of 'paying for their sins'. Some of the imagery may be just that - the imagery of our world - but again would Jesus talk of that as he did unless he intended it ultimately to be taken seriously?

And to keep the balance that Cliffdweller suggests, a key passage must surely be from John 3, just after the well-known v 16 "This is the verdict (or 'judgement') that the Light has come into the world and people have loved the darkness more than the Light...."

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fear of Hell does produce converts. I once attended the baptism by total immersion of one poor fellow who had had the misfortune to see a friend who had recently died in hospital.

The friend had died in some pain and nobody at the hospital warned him that his face would show this.

When he saw his friend he "knew" he had gone to hell, and had no wish to join him there. This is a précis of his own words, delivered as a testimony before his baptism.

I have every confidence that the pastor who officiated at the baptism would subsequently have looked after the man with compassion, and hopefully explained in due course that seeing is sometimes believing incorrectly.

[ 19. August 2014, 21:20: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
if people choose to be unfit for heaven, while claiming it would be immoral for God to change them against their will ... what can be done with them?

I'm newly thinking "purgatory" might be a better understanding than "eternal hell." Stay in a place of purification/re-education (not everlasting torture!) until you of your own free will decide you would like to become the kind of person who delights in heaven. If you never decide that, one concept of "hell" is a place God lovingly invented for those who would dislike heaven. I think C.S.Lewis said the door handle is on the inside. No one is locked in hell against their will, it's an ongoing choice to stay away from heaven.

A hell that (by whatever means) invites you to recognize the self-destruction inherent in your ways (sin) and invites you to experience the beauty and love of God (fire imagery representing God's presence), and which you can leave as soon as you are eager to live in what heavenly society is, is very different from a hell that is inescapable even if you at some point genuinely repent and desire to know God. There are possibilities in between "everyone goes to heaven immediately" and "most of the world are locked up in forever torment"
quote:
there is an issue of justice...'paying for their sins'.
Punishment is not justice. If I rob you, you are out money, you are unhappy. If justice means I go to prison, I am unhappy, too. We now have two unhappy people instead of one, the world is worse off! How is increasing total pain "justice"?

True justice is healing, restoring, reconciling. It involves me repaying you so you are no longer hurt. (Or maybe God repaying you because I can't, I spent the money.) It involves healing whatever need or pain caused me to steal from you instead of me appreciating you as an image of God.

I think God's concept of justice is all about healing - correcting/training/teaching/re-educating etc yes, but also reconciling/restoring/renewing. That's why we are told over and over to forgive, to love our enemies, instead of told to seek revenge. Be wise as serpents in the process, not doormats for wrongdoers, but look for ways to promote maximum good instead of looking for a "justice" that multiplies the amount of total harm.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:

There are many, many different types of Paganism (and yes it needs the capital letter - it is a proper religion). It's not the same as witchcraft or Wicca, but neither are they mutually exclusive - many people follow two or all of them. Some believe in reincarnation, but most I've come across are followers of Norse or Hellenic deities and do not believe in reincarnation.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016