homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Be a monk or a nun for a year at Lambeth Palace (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Be a monk or a nun for a year at Lambeth Palace
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:
Anyway, my point is not about sour grapes, it's about the CofE setting a bad example by discriminating against people over a certain arbitrary age, for what looks for all the world like cosmetic reasons - "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to fill up fusty old Lambeth Pally with bright young people!"

So it's a bad example for churches to target young people. Even given the things I've posted about how badly they've done in the recession, and how their lack of engagement in the church jeopardizes its future.

You are having a negative reaction to a quite nice program that will invite young people of all denominations to experience a unique opportunity, and justifying it by claiming that somehow it's a bad thing, to reach out to the young. It's sad to me, I'm sorry to say.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
quote:
Originally posted by Holy Smoke:
"Hey, wouldn't it be cool to fill up fusty old Lambeth Pally with bright young people!"

So it's a bad example for churches to target young people. Even given the things I've posted about how badly they've done in the recession, and how their lack of engagement in the church jeopardizes its future.
Not bad to reach out to young people. Why can't we reach out to more than just young people? Where did the idea come from that young people want to avoid anyone over 40, that mid-age people dislike children or elderly, so we have to target youth as a separate group from the community instead of targeting community including them? Church is about the only place left where the generations can mix a people together, but my church has so separated the youth that they are expected to attend an entirely separate service on Sundays and are not allowed in adult choir!

Yes youth have problems, economic and otherwise. If economic need is the issue, I know personally know people who became homeless in their 50s, and a several in their 70s who had to go back to work somehow (like, in McDonalds) after the 2008 crash. At that age, there's no one to move back home into. People with economic problems are individuals of all ages. Some young adults earn more than their parents ever dreamed of, should we feel sorry for them just because they are 20-35?

If we are going to target specific groups, can't we do it interests or abilities or needs, not by external factors like age or race or gender that don't say a thing about who the individual is?

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Belle Ringer you are missing my point.

Of course there are lots of people desirous of and in need of a great spiritual opportunity.

None of that means that it is bad or wrong to target young people for this scheme. There are a raft of comments that "Oh he's just trying to be trendy" or "UGH this is what happens when an evangelical becomes Archbish." There are lots of very good and important reasons to have this for 20-35 year olds, not least because they are less likely to be married with children and settled in careers so more able to take a year out. It's essentially a Christian gap year.

I would LOVE to do something like this, if only I'd been 22 when it started. I have responsibilities and a job and a husband who would never join this in a million years. Even the part-time program wouldn't work for me. Shall I moan "What about married women who work 60 hours a week, where is my scheme?"

Let's be joyful for the people who will have this fantastic opportunity. All I see here is complaining and grumbling and it's depressing.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Where are the 65 year olds you speak of going to come from 40 years from now, if the 25 year olds are ambivalent entirely about Christianity?

Many people take an interest in religion for the first time as they approach old age. When they were young, they felt immortal; now that they realize they're not, many of them show an interest in church.

Moo

What I've read is that people who 'show an interest in the church' later in life are more likely to do so if they were exposed to Christian teaching early on. IOW, we see people from previous generations returning to the church in the West, but this is because receiving an intentionally Christian upbringing was more likely in the past. It's less likely to happen in future, as fewer and fewer generations receive that early input.

Also, I understand that most conversions and/or decisions in favour of a personal investment Christianity occur among people in their teens and twenties. It's less likely in middle and old age (although not impossible, of course). This is an obvious reason for the churches to improve their quality of engagement with young people.

I agree that churches should offer more opportunities for older people to develop a contemplative and prayerful life on retreats, and so on. I've heard of a few courses and retreat centres that are open to all ages, and there might be some longer-term possibilities aimed at the 'career break' crowd. Mother Teresa's religious order in India accepted volunteers (maybe it still does), and presumably there are similar opportunities elsewhere.

[ 11. September 2014, 00:56: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All I see here is complaining and grumbling and it's depressing.

Welcome to the UK, Seekingsister ...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was definitely a CHN sister at Lambeth during ++Rowan's tenure - I know, because she's my aunt [Big Grin]

I'm surprised that this has got such a negative reaction on here, I think it's a brilliant idea and intend on applying. I'm under the impression that the age limit is because it's linked to the CoE's Call Waiting scheme, which is to support and encourage vocations in the under-30s. People will be praying for a year, definitely not trying to make career ladder connections! There are many communities who don't have age limits re alongsiders and postulants, though the vast majority of communities in the CoE are all-female ones so that's perhaps why Adeodatus couldn't find one?

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, because I missed the edit window - it's very difficult to get info on vocations to the religious life in the CoE, and DDOs are often clueless. Hopefully this will raise the profile of religious communities and also the profile of the religious life as a vocation.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
* have just been to the ordination of a young man from my church, who was given just such an opportunity when he was in his 20s. It was life changing. And now this young man's ministry, over many years, will also benefit the church.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016