homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Money and the Church (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Money and the Church
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't get it. I've been a church treasurer, my husband is one now and we just don't understand the priorities of either of our churches financial decisions.

My Lutheran church (about 30 regular members) has recently hired the local Episcopalian priest (also about 30 members) to be our part time pastor. She will conduct our service at 9:00 and theirs at 10:30. She earns around $80,000 annual income from the Episcopalians plus very expensive health care, parsonage, utilities, pension, etc. Now she will get an additional $40,000 from us.

This is a small town where the average income is just over $20,000. Frankly, I'm having trouble liking her because I can't help thinking she's greedy.

In an effort to get to know and like her better, I just started a mid-week Bible study class with her. Fourteen of us met for the first time and she passed out the books we will use and told us we would need to pay ten dollars each for them. Fine, I guess, but why doesn't the church cover little costs like this under outreach or education?

Then she said that if anyone needed help paying for the book to see her and she would apply for a "scholarship," for them. What? I don't have anywhere near her income but I would gladly have paid for everyone's books rather than hear that. Why not say that there was an envelope by the books, contribute if you want, otherwise, never mind? We have a few little old ladies in the group who are living on social security and the ten dollars might be a pinch for them, but I'm sure they would hesitate to apply for a scholarship to be brooded over by the finance committee for ten lousy dollars.

This church contributes a paltry $100 per month to the local food and clothing pantry. My husband's church can't even come up with that much but a few years ago they spent $60,000 so they could ruin the sanctuary with large screen TVs and a new sound system.

Is it just me, or are these priorities screwed up?

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those priorities are a little screwed up, but then I would say that.

I would probably say though that your new minister would probably argue that ruining/improving the sanctuary with a bloody great plasma screen is actually a benefit to the community, because outreach, or because feeding the congregation, or something.

I think what I am saying is that screwed up priorities often get explained away with spiritual terms. What does your new pastor consider to be the justification for the flatscreen?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
She will conduct our service at 9:00 and theirs at 10:30. She earns around $80,000 annual income from the Episcopalians plus very expensive health care, parsonage, utilities, pension, etc. Now she will get an additional $40,000 from us.

If she is now part-time in both churches, why is she still getting the full Episcopalian whack as well as your money? Surely your contribution should be paid into Diocesan funds or count as part of her stipend?

Whether she's getting too much is something I can't judge - though I can sense your ire. Presumably these rates are fixed nationally, or something.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
$40,000/30 means that each member of your congregation has committed themselves to paying over $1,000 per year just to have this particular pastor, in addition to maintaining the church itself, paying anyone else. Presumably charities come second.

It's not a choice I would have made. But presumably this was a communal/collective decision?

[ 11. September 2014, 14:23: Message edited by: itsarumdo ]

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may also be that the $80K includes the parsonage, health care and other benefits, rather than being in addition. This is quite common at least in US churches-- to report not the salary of the pastor, but the total cost to the church. Since in every other field salaries are reported separately from benefits, this leads to a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding/ resentment. At the least, I would assume that $80K is "base + housing" (i.e. includes cost of parsonage) as is usual.

Church budgets are always messy, and difficult. We all have different priorities, and there is never enough to do every good thing we want to do. Church budgeting always always ends up weighing a number of good things to find the "best thing" to focus one's resources on w/o undermining the overall ministry. I find myself, not for the first time, in a similar place, where we are embarking on an expensive remodeling project that appears to me unnecessary, while other priorities (homeless shelter, etc) go unfunded. Sooner or later, this is going to happen to all of us.

If we allow it, this can cause us to become bitter and hardened. At it's worst it can lead to manipulative end-runs where folks stop giving to the general budget and write designated checks to their pet projects instead. I've seen that in a church I've served at, and it's deadly.

So I think the key is not to get bogged down so much in griping about why we're funding Good Thing A and not Good Thing B. Rather, the key is to focus on the process. Does your budgeting process allow for input from diverse members of the congregation? Are all the interests represented/ have a voice? Is there transparency, not only in the end result, but in the process itself? Is there a clear connection between the things that are funded and the core written priorities/ mission statement of the church? Most of all, is it discernably  prayerful-- can you trust the people making the decision, and particularly trust the spiritual practices that surrounded the process?

When those things are in place, differences of opinion will still happen of course. We will always have differing priorities and perspectives on how money should be spent. But when we trust the leaders who are making those decisions and the process we're using, it's much easier to chalk that up to just the diverse perspectives that make up a diverse body.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My Lutheran church (about 30 regular members) has recently hired the local Episcopalian priest (also about 30 members) to be our part time pastor. She will conduct our service at 9:00 and theirs at 10:30. She earns around $80,000 annual income from the Episcopalians plus very expensive health care, parsonage, utilities, pension, etc. Now she will get an additional $40,000 from us.

From what little I know about Episcopal salaries, are you that's not a total package of $80K including those benefits, rather than $80K plus benefits? And what is "very expensive healthcare" exactly? Have you seen the documents of her coverage?

I also can't tell if she is your church's only pastor at the moment. If so then $40k for her services part-time is still less than you'd pay to get someone who is based in your church. So it might be a cost-savings to your church even if it means she is being paid very well with her total compensation.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, who does fix stipends in TEC? These seem crazy sums to me. The $40,000 that you're paying as a part-time rate is I think about £25,000, which is roughly an incumbent's (Rector's) full-time annual stipend in the CofE. Her total of $120,000 is just slightly lower than what the Archbishop of Canterbury gets (£76280/c $124,000)! (NB these figures do not include housing costs and as you probably know healthcare insurance doesn't usually come into it over here.)

[ 11. September 2014, 14:32: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like everyone else is saying, do double-check what exactly is covered by the figures you're mentioning. If some of this goes to housing, insurance, various overhead costs, she could be actually receiving a helluva lot less than it looks like. (See: my salary at my old job, which was actually peanuts and shriveled ones at that, but on paper looked like coconuts)

Also take into account the cost of living/housing wherever you are from--$40,000 would be very respectable indeed in some parts of the US and desperately impoverished in others.

When in doubt, try desperately (ask God's help) to put the best construction on it. Bitterness is a dangerous thing, as I have reason to know. Mr Lamb receives NO salary.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is no central authority fixing stipends in TEC. Nor does the diocese necessarily fix stipends. In my diocese, there are guidelines for compensation, but I'm not sure if there are any consequences for not following them. FWIW, the guidelines in my diocese, are, I believe, to peg the stipends to the prevailing compensation for educators in each church's community -- I believe, for the principals of the local schools. That's for the salary part alone; housing, insurance, pension contributions etc. are added to that.

Whether or not the diocese has guidelines, in my experience the rector's compensation is negotiated with and fixed by the individual church, or rather its vestry.

As cliffdweller says, it is very possible that the $80,000 reported includes housing, insurance, pension contributions and whatever other non-salary benefits are included in the rector's compensation. So I wouldn't compare it to the ABofC so readily.

[ETA: although Twilight does spell out that its $80,000 plus the other benefits. Twilight, are you sure its "plus" and not "including"?]

[ 11. September 2014, 14:47: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found this online from the 2012 Church Compensation Report

quote:
What does compensation include?
For clergy, this is the assessable compensation reported to the Church Pension Fund and includes, but is not limited to, cash salary, utilities, payments made to Social Security, and housing, either in the form of a housing allowance or, if a rectory is provided, as 30% of salary. Compensation also includes such items as contributions to individual retirement accounts, cash gifts to clergy, and the payment of school fees for clergy children. This compensation amount does not include the pension payments made to the Pension Fund or any other standard employee benefit.

So if her compensation is reported as $80K it seems it would refer to the entire package and not just the cash salary.

You can also check your diocese on page 17 to see if she's being paid out of proportion.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Yes, who does fix stipends in TEC? These seem crazy sums to me. The $40,000 that you're paying as a part-time rate is I think about £25,000, which is roughly an incumbent's (Rector's) full-time annual stipend in the CofE. Her total of $120,000 is just slightly lower than what the Archbishop of Canterbury gets (£76280/c $124,000)! (NB these figures do not include housing costs and as you probably know healthcare insurance doesn't usually come into it over here.)

In the Baptist Union of Great Britain minimum stipend is £21k ish. We pay much more personally into our pension scheme than other denominations too.
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Off the salary for just a moment--

One reason I've heard for charging for books in Bible study is that this seems to increase the commitment of the study members to actually using them and showing up. For some reason there is a human tendency to treat free-to-me things as of little value. In fact, some missions have instituted small charges for precisely this reason, much against their will. It's freaking frustrating.

Now it may be that the members of your Bible study are steady, faithful people who wouldn't dream of blowing off the sessions regardless of whether they'd invested in the book or not. But your new pastor doesn't know that, does she? not yet.

As for a scholarship fund--I think these are fine, but when it's small amounts it really ought to be left to pastor's discretion and not scrutinized by the church council or whatever. $10 is not going to make or break the church budget, but the potential embarrassment of having one's poverty known is Not Good.

We mostly don't participate in the 10$ breakfast, 25$ trivia night things at our host church because we can't afford them, and we are too embarrassed to ask for a scholarship. Particularly because my husband is staff. So we just don't go.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
In the Baptist Union of Great Britain minimum stipend is £21k ish. We pay much more personally into our pension scheme than other denominations too.

Yes, out of my total stipend (a little above the minimum) about 17% is taken for tax and another 15% for pension. And my church has to add another fairly significant sum to the pension fund, on top of that.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add that $40,000 CDN is about right for the salary of a priest in this diocese, with the addition of housing allowance/rectory, travel expenses, employer's contributions to Canada Pension Plan, personal pension, health & other insurance, etc., but that would not add up to $80,000 expense to the church. The salary is on an agreed scale, FWIW.

And there is nothing extra for having more than one church, beyond expenses such as mileage.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, who does fix stipends in TEC?

I think each church decides. In my local TEC, during the search they fired the choir director to get more money to offer a new clergy person. (then struggled to hold a choir together.) Total package $90,000 includes $30,000 for housing meaning the clergy-person will outright own the house in just 4 years. (And pay no income taxes on the money used to buy it.)

I don't understand why I should regard someone as receiving "only $30,000 a year" instead of $90,000 when the difference between those two figures is things considered income in our jobs. We all have to use (after-tax) earnings to rent or buy a place to live, why is a place to live "in addition to income" for clergy - especially when the place is owned by the clergy and the "housing allowance" is paying off the mortgage for them?

Also, the rest of us have to fund our own (401k and IRA) retirement plans from our income, why shouldn't clergy "set aside for retirement" funds be considered part of their income?

Most of us these days have to pay for some or all of our medical insurance, plus significant copayments and deductibles, from our income. Why shouldn't theirs be considered part of their income?

I do not object to clergy being well paid if that's what a church wants to do. (Middle class mainline churches where I've lived seem to believe clergy should be paid like a CEO of a company with as many employees as the church has members).

I do object to being told they are "low paid" solely because they negotiated large parts of the "package" to be put in "not income" slots (for tax reasons), when for anyone else the income has to include those items.

$30,000 salary plus $30,000 to use towards buying a house plus $20,000 reserved for retirement plus $10,000 deluxe health insurance like no regular employee gets anymore = the equivalent salary the person would have to earn in a secular job and have the same economic lifestyle. Therefore I say this person is earning $90,000 a year, no matter what much lower figure they negotiated to show up in the "salary" slot.

(Very different system from UK on both ends. Clergy in small churches often earn minimal amounts and have to take a secular job to survive, churches over about 100 are often pretty well paid.)

[ 11. September 2014, 16:52: Message edited by: Belle Ringer ]

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
I don't understand why I should regard someone as receiving "only $30,000 a year" instead of $90,000 when the difference between those two figures is things considered income in our jobs. We all have to use (after-tax) earnings to rent or buy a place to live, why is a place to live "in addition to income" for clergy - especially when the place is owned by the clergy and the "housing allowance" is paying off the mortgage for them?

Sure, but when it comes to fronting the costs for Bible study books for example, compensation that includes housing costs, healthcare, and pension contributions doesn't mean you have the cash in your bank account to pay for things like that.
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I don't think it was particulalry being said that they were not benefits, but that it was not comparing like to like.

To say it is the equivalent to x or y you have to make sure that x and y are reported in the same way.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I missed that anyone thought the clergy person should be providing the bible study books out of their own income.

I thought the issue was whether the church decision makers were making wise decisions about how much to pay clergy. If a somewhat lower salary were reasonable to pay, the church would have money for other uses, too. Which I thought led to discussion about how much the clergy person should be considered to be paid, whether it's just the "salary" line or more.

I apologize if I misunderstood the discussion.

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you're the only one who did understand the discussion as I intended it, Belle Ringer. I didn't think the pastor should pay for the books, I thought the church should. It's any church's financial priorities I wanted to discuss.

According to the link above the average pay for clergy in small TEC churches in this area is $56,000. As I indicated in the OP the $80,000 is actual salary, above and beyond the benefits. I agree with Belle Ringer that health care, retirement, etc. should be bought by the pastor just as the rest of us do, but in the churches I'm familiar with, the church pays for all of this, plus the parsonage with all its repairs and utilities is also paid for by the church not as an understood part of her salary.

All of this was agreed on by the discernment committee and approval was voted by the congregation, (three of us voted against.) Our Lutheran church had been using interim pastors for a few years and I think it was a case of being at the point where they were just happy to find someone willing.

This is not an area where cost of living is high. Average houses cost $110,000. It's also not a case of the congregation deciding how to spend its money between "this good thing or that good thing." Other good things don't seem to be on the table at all because all the money is going toward salary.

As for the people in the class having to pay ten dollars so they will appreciate their book more. That just seems very petty to me. They're voluntarily coming out in the middle of the week to do this class, I don't think they need the ten dollar incentive to read the book. If we're going to play those games maybe the pastor would take better care of her health if she had to pay the $8500 per year health insurance herself.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Those priorities are a little screwed up, but then I would say that.

I would probably say though that your new minister would probably argue that ruining/improving the sanctuary with a bloody great plasma screen is actually a benefit to the community, because outreach, or because feeding the congregation, or something.

I think what I am saying is that screwed up priorities often get explained away with spiritual terms. What does your new pastor consider to be the justification for the flatscreen?

The flatscreens were at my husband's UMC, not my own Lutheran. His justification was that this would update the church and make it state of the art.

I was treasurer at that church and so I know that I wrote separate checks for salary, health insurance, parsonage upkeep, retirement fund, etc. So long as I was treasurer I tried not to have an opinion about where the money was going. It was simply my job to keep the figures straight.

------------------

Lamb Chopped,

Now, at this Lutheran church I don't see the actual figures, but I think I know enough about how it all works to understand the information told to me by the discernment committee. At least enough not to misunderstand what was meant by "salary."

I don't know anyone whose net pay is as much as their gross. You were not unique in your coconuts vs peanuts situation. Even the minimum wage worker has funds taken out of their stated salary for taxes, health insurance, 401K, etc.

Leaving aside the amount this particular pastor is making, is it right that any pastor should be making four or five times what the average member of the congregation is making? The average in this area is just over $20,000.

If churches are saying that the pastor should earn the equivalent of a CEO of a company with as many employees as the church has members? No, just no. The congregation is more like the number of customers a business might have, not employees who must be continually supervised.

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Twilight:

I find that very, very and I mean very hard to believe. Parsonage plus utilities counts as 1/3 of compensation. There is no way that a church with 30 people is paying a priest $120,000 and willing to share time with another congregation. Pension is 18% of stipend, housing, and social security if paid. So add another $21600 to the $120000 and that gives you $141600. Health insurance will be around $9000 even for one person. Make it a family and the cost could go up to another $20,000. Meaning the total compensation package for that priest is supposedly upwards of $150,000. Bishops of small diocese make that kind of money but not the rectors of small parishes.

With 30 people, each would need to pledge $5,0000 just to cover the priest. Pledges are measured in pledging units meaning a church with 30 people usually has far fewer pledging units. My guess is 15 to 20. So, the $5000 is more like $7,000-$10,000. Let's say the church has an endowment. If the average pledge comes out to $3,000 per pledging unit and there are 20 pledging units, then endowment must cover $90,000 just for the priests compensation package. Best financial practices suggest using no more than 5% of your endowment per year. So, the church would need a $1.8 million endowment just to make up the difference for the priests compensation package.

But...wait...there's more...

Does the parish have a building? Buildings cost money to maintain. Add on another $25,000-$35,000. Do they have music? Musician will need to get paid. Diocese will be taking around 12% of the budget as apportionment. My guess is the budget for a church that size would need be at least $300,000.

I can't imagine a vestry in their right mind spending money like that. Even if they did, I can't imagine a bishop in his or her right mind that would let a vestry do that. More than likely, the $80,000 is the total compensation which includes stipend, housing, social security, pension, health insurance, continuing ed, car allowance, and possibly other stuff. Her actual take home pay is likely closer to $45,000. And is that episcopal parish really going to let the priest pocket your $44,000 and not take any of the money towards the benefits?

But, heck, if that's really what your two churches are paying for priests, have I got a deal for you! Mrs. Mother Beeswax Altar and I are both episcopal priests. We both have theological degrees from a Lutheran university. We both have experience working with Lutheran congregations. I'm sure we can work out a deal where your two small congregations get two priests for less money than you are going to pay the one.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My church group found the perfect solution for having to pay a preacher's salary.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by seekingsister:
From what little I know about Episcopal salaries, are you that's not a total package of $80K including those benefits, rather than $80K plus benefits? And what is "very expensive healthcare" exactly? Have you seen the documents of her coverage?

The insurance coverage is very expensive. We have a relatively small pool. The small pool contains a bunch of older people. I could save the church money and get better health insurance if we didn't have to get insurance through the diocese.

quote:
originally posted by Albertus:

Each diocese sets minimum compensation standards. Depending on the diocese that can be anywhere from $42,000 to $65,000. However the compensation standard includes stipend, housing, and social security.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Where were you when we needed you Beeswax? I do think the parsonage was paid for many years ago, so unless it needs a new roof or something then it shouldn't be costing too much.

Both churches do have endowments so there's that and it's possible I was told wrong from the Episcopalian side, but I have the figures in writing from the Lutherans. (I thought we were going to talk church priorities and not take me to court over these figures. [Biased] )

Sadly, in about fifty years, they will both probably be empty buildings. At the end of the day it only bothers me that our two churches seem to have so little to offer the many homeless and truly poor in our community.

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

TEC pays their clergy more money and provides more generous benefits than ELCA. Frankly, the generation of clergy that oversaw a huge decline in TEC seems determined to hold on to power for as long as possible and milk the local churches for as much money as possible. The entitlement some of them feel is indeed mind blowing.

All mainline churches require an M.Div. An M.Div is a three year degree. The same mainline denominations offer very little in the way of financial aid. With your M.Div, you can do very little other than be a clergy person. Unless you believe God only calls the independently wealthy and retired to be clergy, professional clergy require a professional salary. Mrs. Mother Beeswax Altar and I have a ton of student loans. Remove the education requirements and the clergy can work for less.

Now, most mainline churches do obsess over buildings. Nice buildings cost a ton of money to maintain. My question would be why your two congregations are maintaining two separate buildings. One new building is cheaper to maintain than two older ones. How much you would make selling an old church is anybody's guess. Despite the rhetoric, most of us can't conceive of church without a nice building. Not only do we require a nice building it has to be this nice building that we are in right now.

The average church will not give a majority of its money to the local community. People do outreach because they go to church. Those who come to church to do outreach are the minority. Resources are limited. There are plusses and minuses to how we use our resources. Spend money on one priority means spending less money on another one. My advice is find a church that shares your priorities. Trying to drastically change the priorities of a church will only lead to frustration and disappointment.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let them make tents.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Let them make tents.

Yep, and I assume that's what LeRoc was getting at a few posts upthread. (EDIT - not literally making tents, just in case that wasn't clear.)

[ 11. September 2014, 20:53: Message edited by: South Coast Kevin ]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Let them make tents.

Yep, and I assume that's what LeRoc was getting at a few posts upthread. (EDIT - not literally making tents, just in case that wasn't clear.)
Thirded. (Fourthed?)

And I say that as someone who was paid full-time by the church for the best part of a decade.

[ 11. September 2014, 20:54: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

Yeah, if you want to change the education requirement, then fine. The church will look different. Different excites some and worries others. A different that worries more than it excites will die.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I trained for several years on a decentralised theology course run on weekends in my city.

Of course it cannot match the depth of x years seminary or whatever, but I am far from convinced that this level of academic study is a necessity for all church leadership. I had my reasons for not going to Bible college back in the day and I stand by them now. And these days there are MOOCs.

I miss the time I had for study and prayer when I was "full time", but I don't at all miss the inherent tension in the flock paying the shepherd. I miss them paying it indirectly via a denomination even less.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Just to add that $40,000 CDN is about right for the salary of a priest in this diocese, with the addition of housing allowance/rectory, travel expenses, employer's contributions to Canada Pension Plan, personal pension, health & other insurance, etc., but that would not add up to $80,000 expense to the church. The salary is on an agreed scale, FWIW.

And there is nothing extra for having more than one church, beyond expenses such as mileage.

But since we're talking about a TEC priest, I'm assuming this is an American church where health care plus those other expenses added to a $40K salary could very well take you pretty close to $80K total church expense.

Presbytery minimum salaries for starting ministers (0-5 years experience) in my neck of the woods is $53K.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
Yes, who does fix stipends in TEC?

I think each church decides. In my local TEC, during the search they fired the choir director to get more money to offer a new clergy person. (then struggled to hold a choir together.) Total package $90,000 includes $30,000 for housing meaning the clergy-person will outright own the house in just 4 years. (And pay no income taxes on the money used to buy it.)

Also, the rest of us have to fund our own (401k and IRA) retirement plans from our income, why shouldn't clergy "set aside for retirement" funds be considered part of their income?

Most of us these days have to pay for some or all of our medical insurance, plus significant copayments and deductibles, from our income. Why shouldn't theirs be considered part of their income?

It's not that benefits don't count, it's that the way we compare clergy compensation with others' we're usually not comparing apples with apples. In any other field, when you say "compensation is $80K" that usually does not include benefits. In fact, most Americans have no idea what their health care costs their employer, even if they are paying part of the premium and/or a copay. Same with retirement packages. If you have a 401K, the employer contribution is not included in that compensation figure. Finally, clergy are considered self-employed by the IRS, which means we pay both parts of the social security tax, whereas other employees only pay half-- and again, the employer portion would not be included in quoted salary. The point being if you're going to compare salaries you need to be sure what you're comparing is the same package.

re: housing, otoh, there is no denying that the clergy housing tax break is quite the boon deal. But that really has nothing to do with the church, or even the clergyperson, other than the fact that they take advantage of it-- that's an IRS thing. The IRS has (for now) decided that clergy, unlike everyone else, do not have to pay taxes on our housing. I will be the first to admit that's unfair, all the more so these days, when plenty of other people are struggling and not just the lowly paid clergy. But again, your beef is with the IRS, and it really doesn't impact the church budget at all other than sometimes providing an excuse to underpay clergy (doesn't sound like that's the case here). If it makes you feel better, it's always on the edge whether that provision will continue. The only reason probably it's still there is it effects such a tiny portion of the federal budget politicians can't be bothered to mess with it.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

The insurance coverage is very expensive. We have a relatively small pool. The small pool contains a bunch of older people. I could save the church money and get better health insurance if we didn't have to get insurance through the diocese.

Which would make the pool even smaller and less desirable for insurers, which would drive up costs to insure those older members still in the diocese plan.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
It's not that benefits don't count, it's that the way we compare clergy compensation with others' we're usually not comparing apples with apples. In any other field, when you say "compensation is $80K" that usually does not include benefits. In fact, most Americans have no idea what their health care costs their employer, even if they are paying part of the premium and/or a copay. Same with retirement packages. If you have a 401K, the employer contribution is not included in that compensation figure. Finally, clergy are considered self-employed by the IRS, which means we pay both parts of the social security tax, whereas other employees only pay half-- and again, the employer portion would not be included in quoted salary. The point being if you're going to compare salaries you need to be sure what you're comparing is the same package.

re: housing, otoh, there is no denying that the clergy housing tax break is quite the boon deal. But that really has nothing to do with the church, or even the clergyperson, other than the fact that they take advantage of it-- that's an IRS thing. The IRS has (for now) decided that clergy, unlike everyone else, do not have to pay taxes on our housing. I will be the first to admit that's unfair, all the more so these days, when plenty of other people are struggling and not just the lowly paid clergy. But again, your beef is with the IRS, and it really doesn't impact the church budget at all other than sometimes providing an excuse to underpay clergy (doesn't sound like that's the case here). If it makes you feel better, it's always on the edge whether that provision will continue. The only reason probably it's still there is it effects such a tiny portion of the federal budget politicians can't be bothered to mess with it.

This.

I'm going to add that having a salary of $30,000 and a housing allowance of $30,000 does not usually equal a total of $60,000 given to the pastor in any form. Rather, it's the same $30,000 counted twice. That's what they did for us when we were still paid. They took our base salary (coincidentally, about $30,000 gross though in a fairly high cost area) and they then told the IRS that 100% of it (in other words, $30,000) was designated as "Housing allowance." This cost the congregation nothing extra--all they had to do was pay the $30,000 salary and once a year, pass a resolution in the voters' assembly to say that the pastor's housing allowance was 100%. I am certain that at least some people were under the impression that the congregation was actually paying us $60,000--half in salary, half in housing costs. Nope. The resentment was the result of a total misunderstanding. It was the same freakin' $30,000, just relabeled.

And our situation then was a standard one for Lutheran pastors and teachers.

What benefit is there to that kind of game playing? Basically, it allows the pastor to have his whole salary tax-free provided that he can document the whole thing was spent on legaly allowable housing costs. These include mortgage or rent, gas, electric, and repairs to the house. Since many pastors make considerably under $30,000, it isn't at all hard to spend that much in a year on documentable housing expenses and rely on your spouse's income to pay for food, insurance, etc. (and not all Lutheran pastors have their insurance paid for, either)

In short, it saves the pastor what, a couple thousand in taxes a year? Which, when you consider that he's probably over-educated in an 80 hour workweek job with no expectation of a raise or promotion ever, seems allowable to me.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

Which would make the pool even smaller and less desirable for insurers, which would drive up costs to insure those older members still in the diocese plan.
Indeed

So, my parish has to pay an absurd amount of money to insure my family making it very expensive to hire me or my wife. On top of this, retired clergy continue to work while collecting their very generous pensions and not needing health insurance. The TEC deck is stacked against young clergy in so many ways. My generation is just waiting for the Boomers to ride off into the sunset. All of which has nothing to do with churches outside of TEC.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

What makes you think older and retired clergy don't need health insurance? Have you checked out what it costs? Even under Obamacare, insurance for those over 55 is 3x that of younger people (which is a deal-- before Obamacare it was usually 5x).

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

I won't go into the details but when I say the pension plan is generous I mean it's very generous. The only way you would have trouble affording health insurance is if you retired early and your spouse had no income. The obvious solution is to not retire early.

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
Sure, but when it comes to fronting the costs for Bible study books for example, compensation that includes housing costs, healthcare, and pension contributions doesn't mean you have the cash in your bank account to pay for things like that.

If I spend my rent money on Bible study books, my landlord would be distinctly unhappy with me. I don't think the difference between you paying me a larger salary and you paying me a smaller salary and housing me is different at all, as long as the house you're providing is the house I'd have chosen anyway.

If you're paying a huge sum of money for a 6-bedroom vicarage and I'm a single vicar, the big house wouldn't look like nearly that much income to me.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clergy in my diocese get pretty good pay IMO, the cash component is in excess of $55k PLUS housing, utilities, superannuation, and travel allowances and the tax law permits them to take a huge chunk of this tax-free. Now some clergy work at least 1 and a half-times a full-time job for that (often their wives work at least half-time for nothing o ntop of that) but others....not so much.

I see a number of churches where the rector appears to work about half-time, and yet Parishioners are expected to attend to a lot of ministries, eg music, children's ministry, fundraising, specific outreach to cultural groups not to mention book-keeping and meeting tax obligations etc ALL for no payment at all.

I suspect that churches would get a hell of a lot more bang for their buck if the Minister had his pay cut by a third and that third went towards paying 2 or 4 key people with skills in particular areas to develop ministries.

In the olden days, I saw a large chunk of my donation to church as supporting the Minister's work in the community but at least in Sydney, that "Good Samaritan" role has been drastically cut eg visiting in hospitals, nursing homes. helping people who aren't churchgoers doesn't seem to be part of the remit in most churches, it's all about preaching and running a few 2 ways to live classes and bible studies and maybe teaching scripture in the local school, again something ordinary Parishioners (always women) do for no pay.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are back to the church priority again if people are unhappy with things I think they should find a church that matches their belief. Because sadly IME, too many church congregations have no interest in the outside world and a too much interest in their leader being the pastor of their little flock.

Congregations complain all the time that their pastor doesn’t visit enough or whatever, I’ve even known ones which complained that their vicar spent too much time with the community groups.

It a sad reflection on churches that I have known, that I’ve yet to find one that complained that their vicar didn’t spend enough time with the poor/rejected/homeless or whatever

Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just go back to what the early church did. Don't have a paid minister at all. St Paul managed without burdening other believers with a salary and he didn't do too badly...
Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
I thought the issue was whether the church decision makers were making wise decisions about how much to pay clergy. If a somewhat lower salary were reasonable to pay, the church would have money for other uses, too. Which I thought led to discussion about how much the clergy person should be considered to be paid, whether it's just the "salary" line or more.

From Twilight's OP:

quote:
Then she said that if anyone needed help paying for the book to see her and she would apply for a "scholarship," for them. What? I don't have anywhere near her income but I would gladly have paid for everyone's books rather than hear that. Why not say that there was an envelope by the books, contribute if you want, otherwise, never mind? We have a few little old ladies in the group who are living on social security and the ten dollars might be a pinch for them, but I'm sure they would hesitate to apply for a scholarship to be brooded over by the finance committee for ten lousy dollars.

The scholarship sounds like the church would be paying for those who applied - hence the reference to the finance committee.

Twilight says he/she would have paid for the books on a lower income than the priests, if only not to force people to apply for the funds from the church.

So I took that to mean the issue was that the priest has the money to cover the cost, rather than to use official channels which may take time and cause embarrassment.

I have been asked to buy books/videos for small groups, in one case the SG leader is a very well-off professional who could afford to pay for everyone's himself. It has never occurred to me to be upset that he is not offering to cover the costs for everyone.

Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by Arminian:
Just go back to what the early church did. Don't have a paid minister at all. St Paul managed without burdening other believers with a salary and he didn't do too badly...

But didn't Jesus also say that the labourer is worthy of his hire?

It depends what you want from a church, some want professional paid leadership, others don't - horses for courses..

But you do need to be happy with the way the church you have chosen makes it's decisions. If you are not then either question them and try and change if possible. However if the culture is not going to change then maybe find another church.

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I can see where what I said there was misleading, since I compared my lowly income to the pastors but I didn't mean I thought she should pay.

I wasn't offended that she didn't pay but that she even mentioned a "scholarship," for a paltry ten dollars. I thought the money should come from one of the many little funds most churches have. When I was a treasurer I was driven half crazy by the "Quicken system" of accounting that had about thirty separate little pockets for money. Under that system the book could have been bought through; the benevolence fund (anything under 500 dollars was at the pastor's discretion), Sunday school supplies, Christian education, library, outreach, hospitality. If she had just suggested a donation rather than paying for the books I imagine there would have been a profit and no one short of cash would have been embarrassed.

Mostly I was looking at that (Lutheran) church's priorities over all. In the past year:

$40,000 for a part-time preacher.
$8000 for a Clavinova when we already had an organ and piano and don't have a choir.
$1200 to help the poor.
zero to help an old lady buy a book.

I would like to see more for the last two and less for the first two.

I think the free services of the pastor's wife is beginning to be a thing of the past. At the UMC that I'm also familiar with, the pastor's wife works full time but supervises the Sunday school program. This involves about fifteen kids and requires ordering supplies a few times a year and organizing a few teachers. She asked for and got $5000 a year for this. In a church where the treasurer and music director are volunteer positions.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

I wasn't offended that she didn't pay but that she even mentioned a "scholarship," for a paltry ten dollars. I thought the money should come from one of the many little funds most churches have. When I was a treasurer I was driven half crazy by the "Quicken system" of accounting that had about thirty separate little pockets for money. Under that system the book could have been bought through; the benevolence fund (anything under 500 dollars was at the pastor's discretion), Sunday school supplies, Christian education, library, outreach, hospitality. If she had just suggested a donation rather than paying for the books I imagine there would have been a profit and no one short of cash would have been embarrassed.

Did you try suggesting that? Cuz it seems like your intent and the priest's were the same-- to make sure that those who couldn't afford to pay would still be able to get a book. Your way certainly sounds easier/ less intrusive. So suggest it.

quote:

I think the free services of the pastor's wife is beginning to be a thing of the past. At the UMC that I'm also familiar with, the pastor's wife works full time but supervises the Sunday school program. This involves about fifteen kids and requires ordering supplies a few times a year and organizing a few teachers. She asked for and got $5000 a year for this. In a church where the treasurer and music director are volunteer positions.

As one who has done the job, both professionally and as a volunteer, it really is no small task. Of course, neither is treasurer or music director.

Again, you're always going to have conflicts like the ones you're describing, where your priorities don't mesh up entirely with the actual budget. Church budgets are always messy and painful. The question is, can you trust the process? Is there transparency? Does it represent all the diversity of the congregation? Is it done in a way that is thoughtful and prayerful, even if you don't agree with the end result?

It does sound like you're getting pretty bitter, to the point almost of looking for things to complain about. At that point, I think it's time to do something-- whether that's get involved in the budgeting process, suggest a new process, or move to another church, is your call. But this sort of resentment and bitterness over the budget is in my experience, not a good sign.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

So. You're saying that so long as the finances are transparent that's really all that matters. And anyone who finds it out of whack that about 90% of the collection plate is going to the pastor's salary is just mean and bitter and ought to leave.

Sorry. I won't be changing churches over this, however bitter you and Lamb Chopped think I am. Several years ago, I switched from the UMC to Lutheran because the first church had quit having communion. That's far and away more important to me than this money issue. The financial priorities are just something I've thought about from time to time and it popped up again with the ten dollar book incident. I thought it would make an interesting thread topic.

Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But didn't Jesus also say that the labourer is worthy of his hire?

He did, but its pretty questionable if your average minister is actually doing what Jesus intended. Are they going out into the market place and proclaiming the gospel ? Probably not - more likely preaching it to the converted. Are they healing the sick ? Are they raising the dead ?

Its clear from St Paul's descriptions of church life where he talks about all being involved in services that it has to be small groups without one person dominating the service.

I don't have a problem with the traditional church model, but you certainly don't have to pay anyone just to be an orator that earns a lot more than the average member.

Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It does sound like you're getting pretty bitter, to the point almost of looking for things to complain about. At that point, I think it's time to do something-- whether that's get involved in the budgeting process, suggest a new process, or move to another church, is your call. But this sort of resentment and bitterness over the budget is in my experience, not a good sign. [/QB]

I think that's really harsh. There are so many whinges about all elements of church life on these boards. Bitching about music has become a dead horse for haveans sake, why is that somebody raising the issue of church finances must be doing so out of bitterness. IPerhaps clergy and clergy wives are being overly defensive about this because they feel their hip pocket nerve twitch, how dare somebody raise the issue of "my" salary-shut up or leave. Hmmm that's one way of holding onto your dosh (not saying this is the case but it's as fair as saying that Twilight is bitter and twisted).

Frankly, I see a lot of change in the church over the last 40 years and yet, the constant is the security and comfort of the rector's position. In the face of dwindling congregations and less work to the wider community, why should clergy continue to be paid as though they are ministering to a congregation of 250 and a parish of 10,000 when it's more like a congregation of 80 and no wider parish work at all.

I believe some of the awkwardness about all this is that once a rector is appointed, the congregation, at least in Anglicanism don't have a lot of say in what they do-technically rector receives a "stipend" which is different from a salary, with all of the responsiblitiles and accountabilities that salaries entail. So I used to put my money in the plate, to "outsource" visiting nursing homes and hospitals and teaching scripture in public schools, I wanted somebody to do it but couldn't do it myself. A new rector came along and after he was appointed he said "oh I don't like doing those things" and so he didn't. Not much visiting went on and unpaid volunteers taught scripture. It's a case of the piper calling his own tune and those who pay being called to submit to the piper's choices and leadership.

Getting back to the specifics of the OP, In what sort of profession could you take on a half-time role in addition to the supposedly full-time role you already have and are receiving a a full-time salary for? I can't help but wonder if it's not the Episcopalian Parish Council who are pulling a swifty here, maybe they are getting out of paying $40k cash salary and just providing the housing etc-which they're committed 'cos the church owns it anyway-it may be a pretty sweet deal for them. If the Priest is pocketing a full-time salary from the Episcopalians and a half-time one from the Lutherans then I'd say she's unethical in the extreme, but surely she wouldn't have the gall and why would the governing bodies of the respective churches agree to it?

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
So. You're saying that so long as the finances are transparent that's really all that matters. And anyone who finds it out of whack that about 90% of the collection plate is going to the pastor's salary is just mean and bitter and ought to leave.

Of course, that's not exactly what I said.

What I said was that focusing on the specific differences in priorities is rarely productive, because there will always always always be differences in priorities. Church budgeting is always always always messy and always involves not funding Good Thing A so that you can fund Good thing B.

I'm suggesting that focusing on the process is more productive. I actually suggested several aspects of the process of which transparency was only one. Another one was a process that represents the diverse voices in your congregation. Assuming you are not an outlier, that would mean you or people who think like you. But I'm suggesting the most important aspect of the process is that it is demonstrably prayerful and that you can trust the people who are engaged in that process.

quote:
Sorry. I won't be changing churches over this, however bitter you and Lamb Chopped think I am.

And of course, I didn't suggest or advocate you change churches, but I did suggest that you not just sit and stew in your unhappiness. I don't make the charge of bitterness easily. I make it because I have seen this exact pattern far too often and I know for certain that it is incredibly unhealthy-- both for the church itself and for you. What action you will take next (I suggest several possibilities) is up to you, but I hope you will not allow your bitterness to fester. It will be deadly to everyone if you do.

One sign that you might be sliding into bitterness is the way you keep leaping to conclusions. As others have pointed out, it is extremely unlikely that your priest is actually making $120K in addition to housing and benefits. Unless you or the Episcopalians have some VERY wealthy members or a massive endowment, the membership of the two churches just wouldn't support that, even if (as you suggest) 90% of the budget was going to her salary. It is FAR more likely that you are conflating some categories and that $120K at the very least includes housing and benefits, and/or that the Lutheran $40K is half her salary, which means the TEC is now only paying $40K.

It also seems you are leaping to conclusions re the books. You and the priest have the exact same goal-- to be sure and cover the cost of books for those who can't afford it. Your plan is probably a bit easier and more comfortable for folks. But there's no evidence you ever suggested it. Your just mad that she didn't think of it herself.

This all seems, from my experience, to be a very very unhealthy pattern that doesn't end well.

--------------------

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

There is no way 90% of the budget goes to the priests salary. The diocesan assessment alone is more than 10% and that's before you factor in the cost of keeping the building open and in good enough repair. My total compensation package is around 40% of the budget. What I take home in salary plus utilities totals about 22%.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016