homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Scottish Independence and the Monarchy

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Scottish Independence and the Monarchy
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IF the Scots vote for independence from the UK, and IF they chose to retain some form of monarchy is Elizabeth II still the queen of Scotland? If she isn't, who is the rightful sovereign.

Are there any heirs from the Stuart line who might be?

Could any descendents of Charles II's illegitimate children qualify? I believe Prince William is descended through the Spencer line from one of Charles II's children.

I also understand that the flamboyant Duchess of Alba is a possible contender?

What are the chances that the Scots would retain any sort of monarchy?

Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are bound to retain the monarchy at first, for the simple reason, not to frighten the horses. To add republicanism to the yes campaign would sink it.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anything would burnish Independence in my eyes, it would be the prospect of getting rid of the whole pointless clamjamfrie.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Queen would remain Elizabeth I, Queen of Scots, in Scotland - that's not up for discussion next Thursday.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a Jacobite heir to the throne (actually several, depending on who you talk to), but it's irrelevant as Liz will still be Queen of Scots after independence.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, no question. She is undoubtedly their Queen as much as ours and AIUI all other things being equal would, if the 1707 Act/ Treaty of Union had not happened, even now be reigning as Elizabeth I of Scots.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I assume that the title of Scotland, would be the "Kingdom of Scotland."

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure Salmond and the SNP would make a big thing about being the "Kingdom of Scotland" and repealing the Treaty of Union.

And the traditional form address of the Queen of Scots was "Her Grace", not "Her Majesty"

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
I assume that the title of Scotland, would be the "Kingdom of Scotland."

You'd think, but that's not what the draft constitution says.

According to the explanatory notes:

quote:
Section 5 simply provides that the name of the State will be Scotland. This will be the formal name of the State when it participates in international organisations and signs international treaties.

It is commonly thought that States may have an everyday name, as well as a somewhat different formal name. For many States that is the case with formal names such as the Kingdom of Belgium, the Federal Republic of Germany, the Hellenic Republic, for Greece, or the Grand- Duchy of Luxembourg. But this is not a requirement. The formal name can be the same as the everyday name, such as in Article 4 of the Irish Constitution, which provides that: “The name of the State is...Ireland.”

Scotland, as an entity and as a people, is widely recognised across the world and the Scottish Government believes that it is appropriate and straightforward that the name by which our State will choose to call itself reflects that existing recognition – Scotland.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, I have seen proposals to rename the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Assembly to Lord Chancellor of Scotland, as the Scots LC presided over the Parliament of Scotland pre 1707.

So perhaps the SNP is just catering to tender republican consciouses.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The heir through the Stuart line would be Duke Franz of Bavaria.

If they choose to follow the line of Charles II's illegitimate children, then you can choose from one of the following dukes: Richmond, St Albans, Grafton or Buccleuch.

Buccleuch would be the obvious choice because he's actually a Scot.

But there is no reason for the Scots to ditch the Queen since she is also a legitimate heir and the direct line died out with a cardinal back in the early 19th century.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

And the traditional form address of the Queen of Scots was "Her Grace", not "Her Majesty"

As was the traditional form of address for Kings and Queens of England. "Your Majesty" made gradual inroads beginning with Henry VIII, but was only really set in stone by James VI & I.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
cf Macaulay's marvellously stirring poem The Armada:

quote:
With his white hair, unbonneted, the stout old sheriff comes;
Behind him march the halberdiers; before him sound the drums;
His yeomen round the market cross make clear an ample space;
For there behoves him to set up the standard of Her Grace.

Written first half of C19 but Macaulay knew what he was doing.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016