homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Too many bishops? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Too many bishops?
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a uniform system in the UCCan. [Biased]

Clergy (and everyone else) are paid out of congregational funds. There is a minimum pay scale that is not generous, and individual congregations can and do decide to pay over and above that.

The pension and insurance plans are centrally administered and required of all employees.

Legally the United Church is a bunch of individual employers flying in close formation.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
No Prophet, please don't over-generalise from the situation in your diocese to what happens everywhere in the ACC.

I'd like to see how many dioceses pay centrally and how many pay congregationally. Does central pay exist beyond eastern Canada or Ontario?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The idea of CofE parishes becoming self supporting doesn't work with the continued desire/insistence of a CofE church in every community. Until the church institutional gets away from that idea any chance of self support would be dragged down by the crippling costs of maintaining too many buildings.

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
No Prophet, please don't over-generalise from the situation in your diocese to what happens everywhere in the ACC.

I'd like to see how many dioceses pay centrally and how many pay congregationally. Does central pay exist beyond eastern Canada or Ontario?
Haven't a clue, which is why I didn't try to suggest a general pattern. I would comment, however, that Ottawa (and certainly not Ottawa 30-35 years ago) is not a notoriously innovative diocese and is highly unlikely to have moved to a system of central pay without there being a goodly number of others going ahead.

Augustine the Aleut probably knows, but he's on pilgrimage in Spain at the moment.

I believe Toronto and Rupertsland, for two, use central pay systems, but how they work I do not know.

John

[ 30. September 2014, 20:28: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iamchristianhearmeroar:
The idea of CofE parishes becoming self supporting doesn't work with the continued desire/insistence of a CofE church in every community. Until the church institutional gets away from that idea any chance of self support would be dragged down by the crippling costs of maintaining too many buildings.

Possible solutions

1. Change "insistence" to "possibility." Accept that some buildings must close even if there is no alternative use as a community space (another solution btw)

2. Merge resources with other believers: met in one building

3. Move from the (possibly unbiblical idea) of church as building and institution towards church as fellowship and community. If you aren't visible by what you do and are then no matter of splendid building will ever promote the Kingdom of God.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Darllenwr:
Exclamation Mark, I am uneasy about your suggestion that parishes should be self-funding, if by that you mean what I think you mean - that parishes should pay their minister themselves. I know this is the Baptist way, and I have seen what can be the outcome more than once. I have seen Baptist congregations starve their minister out of office by refusing to pay him. In either case, the Minister in question had started to preach a (perfectly Biblical) line of thought that his congregation didn't want to hear. When the Ministers refused to stop preaching that particular line, the congregation stopped paying the stipend and the Minister had to depart. Both of the congregations in question are now moribund.

At least the way that the Church of England operates means that this particular tactic cannot be used. Were this not the case, my own Vicar would have been forced out of office in the last 18 months for precisely the same reason - preaching a line that we didn't want to hear. That the line in question is the truth is neither here nor there. After all, why spoil a good story with truth?

I agree it's a danger. I've seen it too but in those kind of circumstances there's also an element of shaking the dust off one's feet as a priest and moving on. There are churches in BUGB known to be toxic for ministers - I suppose the same is true in the CofE.

In the CofE/similar set ups the danger is that all the challenge flies over the heads of the congregation who just won't listen to anything combative because they can't do anything to stop it. It just goes under the surface instead and becomes a life draining set of attitudes: it's actually no different really. The Methodists have to wait 4 years or so for a change and nothing happens in the meantime.

But, this approach avoids the rot of complacency which affects many denominations who think that there will always be a pot of Gold elsewhere. This approach also brings responsibility down to the local level - again many denominations seem somehow anxious to avoid this for some reason.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
... but I'm not entirely convinced that Anglicans automatically assume that everyone in the country is a Christian unless they have consciously opted out or else are members of another faith community.

Not every but many. The installation service for new incumbents implies it in the sense of a calling to the (note not "a") cure of souls for the parish.
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly - but show me anyone - Anglicans or otherwise - who believe the 'possibly unbiblical idea' that the the church 'is a building and institution rather than a fellowship and community.'

Everyone but everyone believes in the church as a fellowship and community.

Where are these people who don't?

Introduce me to them. Where are they?

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The parish where I work is self-supporting.

The Archdeacon refused to find us a PP when the last one left - and he was only half-time, shared with a chaplaincy.

We were told we had to find our own and the stipulations on that made it perfectly clear they wanted us to fail: we were not allowed to advertise, either locally or nationally; it had to be someone under national retirement age; they had to be in receipt of, or entitled to, a CofE pension; they must already PTO in the diocese; they could only be appointed as part-time. Notwithstanding all of that we found our house-fot-duty priest, and the Archdeacon made it clear he was very unhappy with the situation.

The Parsonages Board undertook a survey of the house, had a dilapidations report written and then refused to fund two-thirds of the external work and all of the internal. So the parish carried out the works recommended in full at our own expense, partly through members of the congregation with the practical skills undertaking the work themselves, partly with people who were having work done on their homes adding in something to do with the Rectory.

Since our PinC has deferred his pension the parish makes his contributions to the CofE scheme - all of them. The parish, NOT the diocese, pays the Council Tax, contribution towards heat & light, etc, etc, etc. This priest is entirely funded by the Parish.

The response from the diocese?

1. They still insist that all fee income from weddings and funerals is sent to the diocese.
2. They have upped our parish quota by double the average amount for the diocese.

What do we get from the diocese? Precisely nothing beyond the one visit by the Archdeacon for the Licensing - and their insistence that for any building work (we are trying to get an annexe built) we use one of the very expensive, and not very good, diocesan-approved architects despite the fact that we have 3 on the electoral roll who would do the work for free.

We are not a rich parish but we have a large number of parishioners who see it as a point of honour to meet our quota in full; patience is now stretched so thin that this is unlikely to continue for many (possibly any) more years.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
... but I'm not entirely convinced that Anglicans automatically assume that everyone in the country is a Christian unless they have consciously opted out or else are members of another faith community.

Not every but many. The installation service for new incumbents implies it in the sense of a calling to the (note not "a") cure of souls for the parish.
AIUI "the cure of souls" although still currently used is archaic language, for care of souls, and in an induction or licensing service is a reminder that the minister has a responsibility towards all the souls in the parish, not just those who happen to be part of the congregation.

Rightly understood this should be missional as well as pastoral, and is not based on an assumption that the 'souls' are all Christian. It is part of the 'spiritualities' of the ministry into which someone is inducted. The bishop (or someone on the bishop's behalf) shares that aspect of the ministry, the archdeacon (or someone on the archdeacon's behalf commits the 'temporalities' into the new minister's care (use of the vicarage/rectory, and a share of responsibility for the church building and churchyard).

Although I am aware that some CofE clergy have well overstepped the mark in relation to ecumenical colleagues with regard what they think is implied by having "the cure of souls" it would be as linguistically odd IMHO to speak about "a cure of souls" as it would be to speak about "a preaching of the Gospel", or to pray for the minister to be diligent in "a study of [God's] Holy Word" (rather than "the preaching/ study…" etc.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Lord, l'organist, what diocese are you in? I've heard similar stories in my time but that one shows dedication way beyond usual.

Thank goodness for a decent archdeacon here!

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A diocese that's recently been given permission for a FOURTH archdeacon when past evidence shows that the addition of a third made a fairly precarious administrative situation worse.

Still, when some of us questioned it we were reassured that the ratio of parishes to Archdeacons for us is still 1:91, while London (for example) is 1:69 - but then we have under 400 clergy to London's nearly 700 (total number f/t, p/t and NSM) and fully 25% of our clergy are described as 'self-supporting'.

The parish is anxious as to what happens when our present chap leaves: we were lucky last time but if the same restrictions apply next time we may not be so lucky.

In the meantime, this morning a request was received for an EGM to discuss not paying our full quota - and the motion (signed by 3 ex-Wardens) is likely to be well-supported.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
L'Organist, dare I ask what your parish has/hasn't done to the diocese?! Or is this treatment entirely without cause?

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like the diocese wants to cut back on the number of priests it has so that it can increase the number of archdeacons...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

posted by iamchristianhearmeroar
quote:
L'Organist, dare I ask what your parish has/hasn't done to the diocese?! Or is this treatment entirely without cause?
I don't know about the situation pre-2001 but since then? Well, you decide which if these is likely to have upset the Archdeacon/Diocesan Office
  • quota always met in full and paid on time
  • quinquennial report recommendations vis-a-vis the fabric always acted on
  • number on electoral roll have shown an increase - despite an increase in the number of second homes in the parish
  • number of children attending Sunday School good (may be skewed by Church secondary school but its the parish that raises that concern, not the diocese
  • average Sunday attendance (all services) 45-50% of electoral roll,
  • attendance roughly 7.5% of the village population
  • confirmation candidates every year - adults as well as children (see note on Sunday School)
  • parish giving to charity worth roughly 30% of quota amount
  • all administrative returns, etc, completed on time
  • in the wider community: we run a lunch club (no age restriction); minibus to-from local town, hospital, supermarkets, etc 5 days a week; mother & toddler group; free babysitting for couples to attend baptism preparation; free practice facilities for village children learning an instrument; regular concerts from 15th century instrumental groups to jazz
  • village (i.e. non-churchgoers) always involved in special services at Harvest, Christmas, Remembrance, Easter, Rogation, Plough Sunday
  • churchyard well-kept - received a Green Award!
  • we maintain parish links with communities in India, Malawi, Romania, PNG and Uganda

I could go on...

The only thing that may have upset the AD is that many of the laity are likely to question things like how the quota is set, query diocesan attitudes to women in ministry (we're ahead of the diocese there), the same vis-a-vis SSM. But none of that should make any difference when it comes to the diocese doing something for the parish over and above holding its hand out like Oliver Twist.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by l'Organist:

quote:
In the meantime, this morning a request was received for an EGM to discuss not paying our full quota - and the motion (signed by 3 ex-Wardens) is likely to be well-supported.

The term full quota can cover a variety of sins. If you are paying the £65K or so which is the stipend for a F/T priest then, frankly, you should announce that you are withholding a years parish share to pay for the repairs to the vicarage, and so forth, forthwith. If you are paying the going rate for a House for Duty which is about £30K you should consider some kind of withdrawal of funds until the Diocese starts playing nicely. If you are paying much less than £30K then the picture is a little more complicated, whatever may have been agreed at the annual Deanery Treasurer's meeting.

An awful lot of parishes think that because they fall into the third of those categories they are automatically entitled to an incumbent. The real world doesn't work like that. But if you fall into one of the former categories then one wonders what the devil the Diocese is playing at.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
[QUOTE]
1. Rightly understood this should be missional as well as pastoral, and is not based on an assumption that the 'souls' are all Christian. It is part of the 'spiritualities' of the ministry into which someone is inducted. The bishop (or someone on the bishop's behalf) shares that aspect of the ministry, the archdeacon (or someone on the archdeacon's behalf commits the 'temporalities' into the new minister's care (use of the vicarage/rectory, and a share of responsibility for the church building and churchyard).

2. Although I am aware that some CofE clergy have well overstepped the mark in relation to ecumenical colleagues with regard what they think is implied by having "the cure of souls" it would be as linguistically odd IMHO to speak about "a cure of souls" as it would be to speak about "a preaching of the Gospel", or to pray for the minister to be diligent in "a study of [God's] Holy Word" (rather than "the preaching/ study…" etc.

Thanks for your reply.

1. Agreed - its missional and the responsibility for the parish (part of the Kingdom) rests with all who own the name of Christ not just the CofE

2. For some read most IME. I take your point as regards the wording but that was accompanied in the most recent case by off the cuff comments by the Bishop and Archdeacon emphasising the CofE's church's unique and singular role.

It was highly embarrassing and annoying as representatives from all the local churches had been invited to attend and one (EM himself) was to welcome the new incumbent on behalf of the local churches.

It was funny too: the Anglican church in question is the smallest by far of all the local fellowships and seems to be in a state of isolationist free fall. The congregation of the Baptist church is 5 times that of the CofE. Even the Brethren get more!

[ 01. October 2014, 18:49: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Where are these people who don't? Introduce me to them. Where are they?

Visit the New Jerusalem or between wood and water and I'll do just that!
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
The parish where I work is self-supporting.

The Archdeacon refused to find us a PP when the last one left - and he was only half-time, shared with a chaplaincy.

We were told we had to find our own and the stipulations on that made it perfectly clear they wanted us to fail: we were not allowed to advertise, either locally or nationally; it had to be someone under national retirement age; they had to be in receipt of, or entitled to, a CofE pension; they must already PTO in the diocese; they could only be appointed as part-time. Notwithstanding all of that we found our house-fot-duty priest, and the Archdeacon made it clear he was very unhappy with the situation.

The Parsonages Board undertook a survey of the house, had a dilapidations report written and then refused to fund two-thirds of the external work and all of the internal. So the parish carried out the works recommended in full at our own expense, partly through members of the congregation with the practical skills undertaking the work themselves, partly with people who were having work done on their homes adding in something to do with the Rectory.

Since our PinC has deferred his pension the parish makes his contributions to the CofE scheme - all of them. The parish, NOT the diocese, pays the Council Tax, contribution towards heat & light, etc, etc, etc. This priest is entirely funded by the Parish.

The response from the diocese?

1. They still insist that all fee income from weddings and funerals is sent to the diocese.
2. They have upped our parish quota by double the average amount for the diocese.

What do we get from the diocese? Precisely nothing beyond the one visit by the Archdeacon for the Licensing - and their insistence that for any building work (we are trying to get an annexe built) we use one of the very expensive, and not very good, diocesan-approved architects despite the fact that we have 3 on the electoral roll who would do the work for free.

We are not a rich parish but we have a large number of parishioners who see it as a point of honour to meet our quota in full; patience is now stretched so thin that this is unlikely to continue for many (possibly any) more years.

I think that's the shape of things to come. Great.

Consider declaring UDI from the Diocese

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoever they are between Wood and Water, I bet if you scratched below the veneer you'd find that they had some concept of the church as a community.

I can't think of any Christians from any tradition who don't. They might not see it in the way you see it, ExclamationMark but I'd be very surprised if they had no concept of the church as a community at all.

I've got a lot of time for bolshie Baptists but there are occasions when I think they overstate their case.

Just sayin' ...

But perhaps I'm not looking hard enough for the kind of people you're talking about - or don't come across them because they're so anti-community that they don't actually leave their homes ...

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
...that was accompanied in the most recent case by off the cuff comments by the Bishop and Archdeacon emphasising the CofE's church's unique and singular role.

But rightly or wrongly, the CofE does have a unique and singular role. Any CofE incumbent who thinks that that can be done with no reference to other churches is a bloody fool, but when all is said and done the other churches are in a given place because people in that place think they ught to be there, but the CofE is there because omnipresence is an important part of its ecclesiology. The CofE could I suppose change its mind about that, but that unique place is enshrined in law, too, with specific statutory and common law duties to the parishioners, notably about marriage and burial.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new 'superdiocese of West Yorkshire and the Dales is the first of what will become the pattern for the CofE of the future. I am sure the long term plan is to reduce the number of dioceses and therefore, in the long term, the number of diocesan bishops. The structure of the new diocese won't be clear before 2016 but I'm guessing that some paid administrative posts will be reduced, especially those involving lay people and at the same time the reliance on lay people will increase. My fear is that these new super-diocesan bishops may become more powerful in ways that are not good for the Church.

Nick Baines has a tough job and if he wasn't doing it I'm not sure who else would be able to take it on. Which doesn't necessarily mean he'll be successful.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I can see that having fewer bishops could have the implication that the less there are the more 'power' is concentrated into a small number of individuals.

I'd not thought of it that way, but it is a scary prospect - and one reminiscent of the situation that used to prevail across the restorationist 'new churches' where the 'apostles' were effectively bishops without the croziers and mitre ...

L'Organist's trials with his diocese sound bad enough as they stand ... could the situation get any worse?

I've been involved with restorationist and 'new church', Baptist and Anglican settings and can see pros and cons with all these systems - although the latter two are far less invasive and full-on.

I suspect the average Anglican in the pews, though, doesn't have a great deal of knowledge or involvement in what goes on at a diocesan level - and the same applies with the average BU Baptist - they won't have that much interest, idea or involvement with what goes on at a 'Union' level - either nationally or within the regional associations.

I s'pose the key question isn't whether there are too few or too many bishops - and I don't care what anyone says, all churches have 'bishops' - it's just that they don't all call them that - but what they actually do ...

do

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Sounds like the diocese wants to cut back on the number of priests it has so that it can increase the number of archdeacons...

Our Diocese has cut back and cut back the number of parish priests, but at the same time created new posts for priests without a parish or parishes, to work across the Diocese. It must be very difficult for the remaining priests, working extremely hard and having to take on extra churches, to observe these Diocesan priests doubling and tripling up at the cathedral at the weekends, no matter how hard they may be working in their offices and meetings across the Diocese on the other days of the week.

Our parish share is one of the largest in the Diocese, and yet we seem to be getting the least amount of paid clergy for it. Perhaps there's something I'm missing in how the formulae are worked out, but I do find it puzzling.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Madness. The parish ministry is everything (well, OK, chaplaincies too). Anything else is basically only valid if it supports it.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:

1. Any CofE incumbent who thinks that that can be done with no reference to other churches is a bloody fool,

2...but the CofE is there because omnipresence is an important part of its ecclesiology. The CofE could I suppose change its mind about that, but that unique place is enshrined in law, too, with specific statutory and common law duties to the parishioners, notably about marriage and burial.

1. Well, there's a lot of them around then and it does not appear to be getting any better. I guess it's a question of the same number of churches chasing a dwindling number of people.

2. It could indeed - why the exclusive duties to marriages and funerals? It seems an anachronism in today's world.

[code]

[ 14. October 2014, 08:37: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

It might be an anachronism, but that's the way that it is at the moment and it is not within the sole power of the CofE to change it. It might not be where you want the CofE to be but it is where it is. (Applies to the CinW too, by the way: IIRC the disestablishment legislation did originally remove the marriage right/ obligation but it was never enacted. Burial rights in Wales were a huge bone of contention: Nonconformists wanted to retain the right to be buried in the parish churchyard but to have the right to have the service conducted in their own form by their own ministers.)

[ 14. October 2014, 11:03: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

Magersfontein Lugg
Shipmate
# 18240

- Posted      Profile for Magersfontein Lugg   Email Magersfontein Lugg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there are too many bishops in the Church of England, and they are expensive - some of the expenses paid out to them are very high.

One of the problems is they seem to trip over each other, or over the feet of archdeacons. Its not clear who does what and it seems to vary from diocese to diocese.

One of the troubles I think in the C of E is that Bishops are seen as managers, and because they're nice chaps they work hard at producing initiatives, mission plans, schemes etc which just give parishes and clergy a lot more work, and seem to produce very little.

If only we had fewer and if those we had spent time on leadership in prayer and preaching I suspect the church would be more vibrant and vision giving.

Posts: 104 | From: Bottle Street | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magersfontein Lugg:
. . . One of the problems is they seem to trip over each other, or over the feet of archdeacons. Its not clear who does what and it seems to vary from diocese to diocese.

One of the troubles I think in the C of E is that Bishops are seen as managers, and because they're nice chaps they work hard at producing initiatives, mission plans, schemes etc which just give parishes and clergy a lot more work, and seem to produce very little.

If only we had fewer and if those we had spent time on leadership in prayer and preaching I suspect the church would be more vibrant and vision giving.

Magers etc. is getting at something I was thinking: What do we need bishops to DO? You can't really answer the question "How many do we need?" until you answer that. Earlier in the thread I cited R.F. Capon's idea that the church needs more bishops and fewer priests (and more deacons). IIRC his idea included local bishops being in charge of a congregation of their own and supervision of a small number of neighboring parishes. A bishop would thus be less of a Big Deal than I gather they are in the CofE (or TEC).

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016