homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Midterm musings

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Midterm musings
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been a topic about the upcoming midterm elections in the US. I hope you won't mind if this Dutchy tries to open one [Smile]

Normally, Republicans will keep control of the House. The fight for the Senate seems to be much closer, but I think the GOP will also barely win there. There's no doubt that this will make President Obama's job harder in his final two years than it already was. I admit that I'm not entirely up-to-date about all the Governor's races etc.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there are always gems like this:
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/02/gop-wedding-dress-campaign-ads

Perhaps they really do want to lose?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Brenda Clough: Well, there are always gems like this:
Hah, I hadn't seen this one. TBH, I've seen dafter ads than this. I don't think they'll have a negative effect on the GOP's standing though.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since both parties have a lock on a certain percentage of the voters, i.e. those for whom party affiliation is an article of more-or-less religious faith, they only need to concentrate on a) shoring up the "base" (who tend towards baseness in all things political) and b) trying to get a few more swing votes.

The linked ad won't move a lot of college-age votes, but it may help to keep the '50s-wannabe women on the right side.

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are too many of these ham-handed blunders to conveniently list, but here is another amusing one: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/10/01/busted-republicans-are-people-too-ad-used-stock-photos-instead-of-real-gop-people/

If you enrage enough voters, it's going to be hard to win. And the categories the GOP have contrived to infuriate is quite large. All colored persons, all Latinos, all women...

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Brenda Clough: There are too many of these ham-handed blunders to conveniently list, but here is another amusing one:
Yes, I'd heard about this one.

quote:
Brenda Clough: And the categories the GOP have contrived to infuriate is quite large. All colored persons, all Latinos, all women...
That's true, and these groups will definitely have a big influence again in the future. But I'm afraid not in these elections. The key in midterm elections is turnout, and unfortunately coloured people, Latinos ... don't have a great record on that one.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

If you enrage enough voters, it's going to be hard to win. And the categories the GOP have contrived to infuriate is quite large. All colored persons, all Latinos, all women...

Just a quick interjection here: aren't Latinos generally included in 'colored persons'? If by 'colored persons' you mean 'black people' alone, it's generally preferable just to say so. If you're in the USA, I believe 'African Americans' is also more widely accepted than 'colored persons'.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I don't think of Latinos as colored or black, but what do I know? I have spent years describing myself as an exotic Oriental beauty, and only recently have learned this is not PC.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

(I'm sorry to have used the word 'coloured' also. I realize that this can be seen as offensive.)

Back to the midterms, these are Nate Silver's forecast for the Senate. Most likely outcome: 52R, 48D (including some I's)? I think it's pretty much in line with what other pundits say. Or will there be a surprise?

--------------------

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watching US elections over the years makes me glad I live in a parlimentrary nation. At least we can have a government fall on a Non cofidence motion, or a failed money bill
and we en up with an election.
The American system seems confusing at least , at most it seems immensly impratical.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

Just a quick interjection here: aren't Latinos generally included in 'colored persons'? If by 'colored persons' you mean 'black people' alone, it's generally preferable just to say so. If you're in the USA, I believe 'African Americans' is also more widely accepted than 'colored persons'.
AIUI, sociologists etc. like to consider Latinos as coloured, but Latinos themselves have different opinions - some consider themselves to be coloured, others white - which makes compiling stats on them rather difficult. (I have searched but do not have the Google-fu to find the article from The Economist that discussed this.)

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it necessary to assign negative identifiers to large groups of people? Many "latinos" are married to people from outside their presumed identity-group, just (now) many "blacks/coloureds" have significant relationships with people of all sorts of ethnic origin or skin colour.

The desperate demand to apply identifiers leads to blaming Sikhs in the US legally for the actions of some Muslims in other countries, or the rather confused statements about "How can you be American? You look Chinese". And you can hardly say that Bobby Jindal is in the same crowd as Barack Obama, but they get lumped together by many sources as...(fill in derogatory comment)...

What is it about the Land of the Free that people can't be free of stigmatisation?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

(For this thread I was more interested in knowing more about the US midterm elections than in a discussion about the names we give to groups of people.)

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

Sorry. As you were

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems more likely than not that the Democrats will lose control of the Senate in the Mid term elections. However the money from both sides is just starting to pour in on both sides and things are close enough that it's possible that either side may shoot itself in the foot. Certainly Obama has failed so far to mobilize the Democrats to support their congressional candidates.

There are a lot of problems in the US system. One is the over-representation of people in emptier states because of the predefine nature of states. However it does put a lot of pressure to force a two way division of power. I'm not seeing that parliamentary systems do much better when there's three or more parties vying for control.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
... However it does put a lot of pressure to force a two way division of power. ...

I can see no reason, either theoretical or practical, why that should be a good thing.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I've read a political commentary in a Dutch newspaper that a Republican victory in both the House and the Senate could actually be a good thing for Democrats in 2016. If Republican policies are really out of touch with public opinion, this could be a good way to expose them. I'm not sure if this isn't wishful thinking though.

Meanwhile, the needle seems to make a slight movement back towards the Democrats. Their chances of losing the Senate have diminished from above 60% to 56%.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't think of Latinos as colored or black, but what do I know? I have spent years describing myself as an exotic Oriental beauty, and only recently have learned this is not PC.

I am massively shocked to see the word 'colored' used so casually, to be honest. It is hugely offensive.

Latino people are classed as people of colo(u)r, the usual term now.

And uh no, using 'oriental' to describe people is massively offensive. I still can't believe that UK supermarkets use the term to describe mostly Anglo-Chinese food...

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently learned that "oriental", is a term of racial abuse. I'm curious how the word acquired this taint.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

If anyone wants to say something about the use of certain terms to describe a group, can you please call the other person to Hell (including me if you want to), open another thread, or whatever?

I'm genuinely interested in the politics of the USA. This thread hasn't generated much response yet, but I still hope.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
If anyone wants to say something about the use of certain terms to describe a group, can you please call the other person to Hell (including me if you want to), open another thread, or whatever?

Yes. Please do. This is way off topic.

However, LeRoc, it would be easier to host if you would let us do that ourselves.

Gwai,
Purgatory Host

[ 08. October 2014, 16:25: Message edited by: Gwai ]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Gwai: Yes. Please do. This is way off topic.

However, LeRoc, it would be easier to host if you would let us do that ourselves.

Thank you, and I apologize.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016