homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Operation Christmas Child (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Operation Christmas Child
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
seekingsister: So I admit to scratching my head at the idea of sending someone a box of items for Christmas but finding it repellent to include some explanation of what Christmas is or what it means.
I don't know what texts OCC puts in our boxes. There is a difference between writing "We are sending you this box because we celebrate that Jesus was born on Christmas Day, and this inspires us to share some of our stuff with people around the world" and "Say the sinner's prayer". I wouldn't have a problem with the first version.
Here's the booklet. [Opens PDF]

I'd have no problem with what you're describing - Christians sharing the love of Christ with others at Christmas by sharing gifts to help others. That's what OCC started out wanting to do. This, however ...! [Eek!] Jack Chick would be so proud. OTH, if they don't bother to translate it, it's pointless!

It's worth noting that some of the local aid organisations working in countries where Christains are in the minority concentrate on charity work, but don't do overt preaching or conversation attempts.

Tubbs

[ 24. October 2014, 11:34: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Tubbs: Here's the booklet. [Opens PDF]
Ah. I wouldn't support a charity that would put this in their Christmas boxes.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Tubbs: Here's the booklet. [Opens PDF]
Ah. I wouldn't support a charity that would put this in their Christmas boxes.
Charity shouldn't come with strings. Let alone fire and brimestone.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
Here's the booklet. [Opens PDF]

OK - having seen it I don't agree with sending that around either.

But I think the other side of "I'm sending you a box because of Christ's love" without explaining who Christ is and why his birthday is such a big deal would seem lacking to me as well.

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think charity without strings is a fine idea, but maybe a little bit too fine for most practical purposes. As Seekinsister says, don't the recipients have a natural curiosity about where things are coming from? I've heard all my life about American aid in the form of food or wells, being intercepted by the local tyrant with, "A gift from Mobutosese-whoever," printed on the trucks. It goes with the territory, so if someone occasionally realizes that a gift comes from Christians I don't see that as a bad thing. These boxes don't drop out of the sky onto individual houses. Don't the recipients usually go to the local Christian mission to pick things like this up? Wouldn't the parents have the option of keeping their children at home?

Do hospitals and orphanages around the world need to hide the fact that they are Christian based from the surrounding community? I appreciate the idea, but I guess I don't know where the line should be drawn. Christ wanted us to feed the poor and to spread the gospel so doing it at the same time doesn't strike me as a bad thing, whether it's a Salvation Army soup kitchen or this.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not about the recipient knowing or not knowing it comes from a Christian organisation; it's about that Christian organisation giving the distinct impression that it only gives these gifts as a cynical cover for proselytism.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would appear that the UK operation remains somewhat distinct from the US one.

For the UK OCC they state that each shoebox is an unconditional gift and that the booklet is a) optional and distributed with not in the shoebox and b) is not the same booklet that Tubbs has linked to (which is presumably the US version??).

Now, the UK booklet does still contain an element of PSA (sin must be punished, Jesus took the punishment) and it does end with an example prayer of commitment. But it's a long way from the other one, and majors on grace, love etc.

All of which means my twitches about OCC from a UK perspective are at least a little reduced (the above found out whilst checking I wouldn't look a complete tool if I discretely took concerns to the powers that be). Obviously with one's cynical head on, all the bits about "no strings" and so on could be disregarded, as the degree to which there are really no strings, implicit or explicit, will depend on delivery on the ground. But you don't get to know that without going and observing, I guess. And there will still be stuff in the UK operation that not everyone would be happy with anyway (the element of PSA, the fact that whilst the gift might be free of strings it is still used as an opportunity to get the gospel in, the nature of the optional booklet and optional follow-on course* and so on) but it all sounds a lot less alarming than Mr Franklin Graham and the US arm.

*Although the fact that there is follow-up for anyone who's interested strikes me as a good thing. It's not just "Here's Jesus, say the prayer, ace you're in!" but an acknowledgement that some further explanation, encouragement, support, teaching etc. is a good idea. Doubtless we could quibble on the content, mind!

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That’s essentially what OCC is. You don’t get the OCC present unless you accept the literature and sit through the Gospel presentation. Which is often in English.

Do you know that that's the case with OCC? I haven't been able to find any place that says that. In the US OCC implies they don't engage in those sorts of tactics. But again, Franklin doesn't exactly inspire trust...

quote:
I can’t support a charity headed up by someone who uses hate speech to talk about others and propagates a message that I disagree with. And, maybe if OCC gets enough push back on this, it might have an impact on both the way they work and encourage Graham to STFU.

Can't argue with that. Although my personal experience of similar large evangelical organizations headed by loud-mouthed buffoons is that:
1. If said buffoon is the founder, there's no getting him out or shutting him up. For him, it's all about the platform, and once you get a taste of that nectar, there's no stopping
2. What actually happens on the grassroots level is often much better than the founder would make it appear. The actual boots-on-ground staff can be much more thoughtful and careful and respectful in their work than the founder. (Whether that is the case with OCC, again, I'm finding it hard to find any data whatsoever)

quote:
That doesn’t excuse me from helping the needy. It just means that I need to find another way to do it.

Good point.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
It's not about the recipient knowing or not knowing it comes from a Christian organisation; it's about that Christian organisation giving the distinct impression that it only gives these gifts as a cynical cover for proselytism.

You may be right. I suppose some might hope that the recipients are smart enough to spot the cynicism, take the gift and forget the message!

There are Christian charities that avoid evangelising, though. Christian Aid comes to mind. But avoiding a religious element can create problems of its own. I read somewhere that when Christian Aid has sent non-believing staff abroad there's sometimes been dismay and confusion when recipients have expected these workers from Christian Aid to lead or participate in Christian worship and they've declined to do so. I don't know how Christian Aid has resolved this issue.

As I suggested above, it would probably be simpler just to support a secular charity like Oxfam - although I notice that churches seem to prefer religious charities when it comes to sending stuff to poor people abroad. When supporting cures for cancer or heart disease there doesn't seem to be the same urge to include an evangelistic element....

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
As I suggested above, it would probably be simpler just to support a secular charity like Oxfam - although I notice that churches seem to prefer religious charities when it comes to sending stuff to poor people abroad. When supporting cures for cancer or heart disease there doesn't seem to be the same urge to include an evangelistic element....

But what about people who - gasp! - think that the best gift to give a child is the knowledge of Christ's love for them and the possibility of a relationship with him?

I can't tell if some people on this thread are totally opposed to proselytizing period, or just to children, or just alongside charity.

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm opposed to using charity as a cover for worming my way into a community to proselytise children, knowing that children are the easiest to convert because they're the least critical thinkers.

If the Mormons or JWs or whatever bunch turned up at the kids' school and handed them all a prezzie, but slipped their propaganda into it, I'd be absolutely bloody livid. I think parents in developing countries deserve the same respect I'd demand.

[ 24. October 2014, 15:14: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SvitlanaV2: I read somewhere that when Christian Aid has sent non-believing staff abroad there's sometimes been dismay and confusion when recipients have expected these workers from Christian Aid to lead or participate in Christian worship and they've declined to do so.
Having worked together with them often, I know quite a number of Christian Aid staff, both Christians and non-Christians. Both kinds would probably get into a laughing fit if you'd ask them to lead a service.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
If the Mormons or JWs or whatever bunch turned up at the kids' school and handed them all a prezzie, but slipped their propaganda into it, I'd be absolutely bloody livid. I think parents in developing countries deserve the same respect I'd demand.

Maybe because you don't have much else of import to worry about?

Sorry to be harsh, but I spend a lot of time in developing countries - for work and family reasons - and people will gladly take aid from the Catholics, Muslims, Mormons or whoever, listen to a spiel, ignore it, and go about their lives. They don't feel violated by it.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Let me try to put into words a bit better what my problem is in combining charity with proselysation (is that the right word?)

First, there is the problem with bribing people into the Kingdom by giving them material things, even if these are small things. I don't think we're supposed to do that. The way I read the Gospels, it's not what Jesus seems to want from us.

Second, whenever you do charity, give aid, or involve in development cooperation, there is always the power imbalance to take into account. To put it bluntly: they are poor and you are giving something to them. To me the only way to overcome this is to engage in real partnership. One-sided proselytasion (I'll get this word right one day) doesn't fit into this.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

quote:
First, there is the problem with bribing people into the Kingdom by giving them material things, even if these are small things. I don't think we're supposed to do that. The way I read the Gospels, it's not what Jesus seems to want from us.

I seem to recall a miracle...something about bread and fish...and another with wine...
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
quote:

Maybe because you don't have much else of import to worry about?

Sorry to be harsh, but I spend a lot of time in developing countries - for work and family reasons - and people will gladly take aid from the Catholics, Muslims, Mormons or whoever, listen to a spiel, ignore it, and go about their lives. They don't feel violated by it.

Listening to a spiel is one thing. Having material thrust at one's children is something else. I'd not like it, so I won't do it to others.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

I lack detailed knwoeldge of OCC.

Are the children and/or their parents who receive these boxes aware that Christian promotional material is included?

If the answer is yes - then I have a hard time being concerned about this, even though I don't agree with the content of the tracts (even the UK version). I don't like the idea of a kid with no Christian family or church network being told to say the Sinner's Prayer randomly.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
seekingsister: I seem to recall a miracle...something about bread and fish...and another with wine...
In the first case, bread and fish was distributed to people who were already listening to Jesus. They didn't go there on the promise of being fed and oh yeah, there's also Someone telling us things. In the second case, Jesus didn't tell people that it was Him who gave people the wine.

Bribing people into the Kingdom by giving them material things? Really??

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I see it, everyone is trying to convince everyone else of something or other. From a young age many Western children are surrounded by ideas and views that contradict what their parents believe. The parents are expected to be tolerant whatever the outcome - which in many cases is increasing religious indifference, not conversion to Mormonism, or whatever.

Should children in faraway lands be deliberately protected from outside influences when Western children are not?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
SvitlanaV2: Should children in faraway lands be deliberately protected from outside influences when Western children are not?
Who's saying anything about protecting anyone from outside influences?

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

Karl: Liberal Backslider said this:
quote:

Listening to a spiel is one thing. Having material thrust at one's children is something else. I'd not like it, so I won't do it to others.

The implication is that children being given material that contradicts their parents' beliefs is unacceptable. But I don't know how most children in modern Britain would avoid being given material that challenged their or their parents' Christian faith.

Maybe the difference is in who provides the material. Is it okay to be given magazines and videos by your peers, but not by your teacher? From an official perspective, yes. But your peers might be far more influential when it comes to your developing morality and your world view than your teacher is.

I suppose it might also be true that a leaflet left in a goodie box given by a rich Western visitor is likely to have more heft than a 'spiel' heard in passing. But maybe not. I don't think the difference is necessarily between spoken and written forms of communication. In many cultures oral transmission is still valued. And a large part of communication doesn't involve words at all.

BTW, how many of these children actually end up trying to convert to Christianity? Is this a problem that's been highlighted in local communities? And where are the charities then, if this happens? Do they mediate between parents and children?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
SvitlanaV2: The implication is that children being given material that contradicts their parents' beliefs is unacceptable.
Sigh. I don't believe giving material to children that contradicts their parents' beliefs is unacceptable in all cases. Neither I think does Karl.

quote:
SvitlanaV2: Is it okay to be given magazines and videos by your peers, but not by your teacher? From an official perspective, yes. But your peers might be far more influential when it comes to your developing morality and your world view than your teacher is.
I agree that this kind of material shouldn't be given to children by their teacher (except when the teacher is of an explicitly Christian school the parents agreed to send their children to). My objections aren't about how effective this would be though, they would be about what the role of a teacher is.

quote:
SvitlanaV2: I suppose it might also be true that a leaflet left in a goodie box given by a rich Western visitor is likely to have more heft than a 'spiel' heard in passing.
It isn't about what has more 'heft'.

[ 24. October 2014, 18:30: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Viewing any charity that comes with a prayer or pamphlet or (gasp) sermon as a cynical, underhanded, scheme -- seems kind of cynical in itself to me. Can't it be -- here is a material gift and, also, here is a spiritual gift alongside it? Should we only worry that they are poor in material ways and not about the spiritual poverty? That's like saying that man should actually live by bread alone. We always have a grace before the local food pantry meals and no one has ever seemed to mind although some people talk through it.

We're supposed to be fishers of men and if we use bait in order to get them into the boat, I don't see that as the same thing as using steak knives to sell time shares, but rather as giving a child a sweet to get him to sit still for a polio shot. Hearing about Jesus is supposed to be a good, life saving thing, isn't it?

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Twilight: Should we only worry that they are poor in material ways and not about the spiritual poverty?
The paternalism, it hurts.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

It’s very difficult to know exactly what happens as accounts vary from site to site. But some did say that you had to sit through the presentation and accept the leaflet in order to get the shoebox. There must be some truth in that as all the other UK sites doing shoebox appeals made a point of saying that they didn’t do this. And Samaritan’s Purse don’t seem to be being entirely candid.

There was also some confusion about who paid for what. I did find references to the fact that OCC charged the local agencies to receive the gifts. Given that the churches giving the gifts paid for delivery, if that's true it's a [Eek!] . They are effectively charging twice.

The UK branch of OCC is a part of Samaritan’s Purse. The same Samaritan’s Purse that’s operates in USA. The one that’s headed up by Franklyn Graham. That Samaritan’s Purse. The only reason that OCC in the UK operates differently to the one in the USA, downplays their Christianity and keeps Graham locked in a cupboard is that they’ve had push back here. People are uneasy about presents being given alongside presentations and leaflets. And Graham is a complete liability. Samaritan’s Purse has said that they’d prefer all the bits of OCC operated in the same way. And that’s not the way the UK one operates!

LeRoc is spot on:

quote:
Second, whenever you do charity, give aid, or involve in development cooperation, there is always the power imbalance to take into account. To put it bluntly: they are poor and you are giving something to them. To me the only way to overcome this is to engage in real partnership. One-sided proselytasion (I'll get this word right one day) doesn't fit into this.
It’s an unequal relationship. That’s not a good dynamic.

It’s worth noting that some of the local Christian agencies operating in the places that OCC visit don’t overtly proselytise, they concentrate on charity work. They’re aware of the risks that conversation from one faith to another carry and want people to make a very informed choice. They’re particularly scathing about organisations that target children.

Tubbs

[ 24. October 2014, 19:26: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Sigh. I don't believe giving material to children that contradicts their parents' beliefs is unacceptable in all cases. Neither I think does Karl.

As I said above, I think the safest thing for you and many others to do would be to avoid religious charities altogether. Because any religious charity that associates itself with giving to the poor runs the risk of associating the gospel with giving gifts, even if it tries hard to avoid mentioning Christianity directly. Such an association may have undesirable evangelistic implications.

[ 24. October 2014, 19:24: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
SvitlanaV2: As I said above, I think the safest thing for you and many others to do would be to avoid religious charities altogether.
I have worked for religious charities for years. As in: I was their employee, I received salary from them, I helped to formulate and execute their policies. I have nothing against religious charities in principle.

quote:
SvitlanaV2: Because any religious charity that associates itself with giving to the poor runs the risk of associating the gospel with giving gifts, even if it tries hard to avoid mentioning Christianity directly.
Exactly. Whenever you engage in aid, charity or development cooperation (I prefer the latter term), the power imbalance is always there. There's no way to completely avoid it, it's an illusion to think that you can.

But the question is: what do you do with that? Do you try actively to seek ways to reduce this imbalance as much as you can, even if you know you can't succeed completely? Or do you try to use this power imbalance to get someone to believe what you want them to believe?

[ 24. October 2014, 19:31: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

It might be wise to allow people from the receiving communities to decide whether or not they want religious leaflets included in the packages. Presumably if the parents of the 'shoebox children' spoke with one voice they could discourage OCC from including Christian leaflets. (It might then make more sense for the parcels not to be given at Christmas, but at a less 'religious' time of year.)

Some charities decide of their own accord to move quietly away from their religious connotations, which may involve a change of name. I presume this partly depends on the sources of their funding; if evangelical churches are still important donors then it makes little sense to downplay the Christian angle. I wonder if Christian Aid is likely to change its name at some point.

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
SvitlanaV2: It might be wise to allow people from the receiving communities to decide whether or not they want religious leaflets included in the packages.
This is something I agree with. And for me, it wouldn't be the only I'd like to discuss with the communities.

quote:
SvitlanaV2: I wonder if Christian Aid is likely to change its name at some point.
I have some problems with the second part of the name, not with the first.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
quote:

As I said above, I think the safest thing for you and many others to do would be to avoid religious charities altogether. Because any religious charity that associates itself with giving to the poor runs the risk of associating the gospel with giving gifts, even if it tries hard to avoid mentioning Christianity directly. Such an association may have undesirable evangelistic implications.
I don't think anyone has said that at all. If a charity is operating aboard and someone asks why, then there's no problem with them sharing their faith. What people are objecting to is people using aid as conversion bait in the way that OCC and others are doing. Particularly when the audience targeted is young.

Tubbs

[ 24. October 2014, 20:02: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
If a charity is operating aboard and someone asks why, then there's no problem with them sharing their faith. What people are objecting to is people using aid as conversion bait in the way that OCC and others are doing. Particularly when the audience targeted is young.

But both of these things could have the same consequences: children getting to hear about Christianity and being 'led astray' by foreigners. If the parents disapprove of Christianity they won't really care whether their children are evangelised by a piece of paper or by a Christian who answers a child's direct questions. Indeed, the latter is probably worse, because it would involve personal interaction, which is a far more effective form of evangelism and probably always has been.
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
SvitlanaV2: But both of these things could have the same consequences: children getting to hear about Christianity and being 'led astray' by foreigners. If the parents disapprove of Christianity they won't really care whether their children are evangelised by a piece of paper or by a Christian who answers a child's direct questions. Indeed, the latter is probably worse, because it would involve personal interaction, which is a far more effective form of evangelism and probably always has been.
Again, more effective = worse? That's not what this is about.

I don't always have a problem if a church founds a school in a developing country. (In fact, I have helped religious organisations found schools.) I guess it depends on how it's done. Of course, at least they should be clear that this is a Christian school.

But even in this case, parents don't always have a choice. What if they are the only school around? This gives them power. I personally would be very careful about how to use this power.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a matter of curiosity, at the receiving end, are the boxes given out by foreign missionaries, e.g. from the donor country or are they given to local churches to distribute? Does anyone know? If the latter, then one should let them decide whether they put leaflets with the gifts or not, and how the leaflets express Christian basics.

By the way, who is Franklyn Graham? I don't think he's a heard-of person here, yet alone a controversial one.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Exactly. Whenever you engage in aid, charity or development cooperation (I prefer the latter term), the power imbalance is always there. There's no way to completely avoid it, it's an illusion to think that you can.

But the question is: what do you do with that? Do you try actively to seek ways to reduce this imbalance as much as you can, even if you know you can't succeed completely? Or do you try to use this power imbalance to get someone to believe what you want them to believe?

spot on.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

By the way, who is Franklyn Graham? I don't think he's a heard-of person here, yet alone a controversial one.

I'll be arriving on the next plane, then.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
quote:
Twilight: Should we only worry that they are poor in material ways and not about the spiritual poverty?
The paternalism, it hurts.
All right then. You think my belief that faith in Christ is the way to eternal life and my wanting that for other people is "paternalism." Then why are you interested in Christian charity at all? In fact, isn't any desire to send food or medicine to other countries paternalism? Can't you leave them alone to take care of themselves?
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enoch:
quote:
Ever heard of Billy Graham, legendary revival leader and friend of U.S. presidents? Franklin is Billy Graham's son.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Twilight: All right then. You think my belief that faith in Christ is the way to eternal life and my wanting that for other people is "paternalism."
And you don't understand what I'm saying.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Enoch:
quote:
Ever heard of Billy Graham, legendary revival leader and friend of U.S. presidents? Franklin is Billy Graham's son.
In genetics only. This is one of those cases where the apple really does fall far from the tree. The fact that Franklin was given the family mantle in lieu of his far more thoughtful and talented sister Anne is all the evidence anyone needs of the evils of sexism.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Billy Graham was very famous here. I for one, have never until now heard of either Franklyn or Anne Graham.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Billy Graham was very famous here. I for one, have never until now heard of either Franklyn or Anne Graham.

Too bad about Anne-- she's a magnificent preacher. But probably worth the loss if it facilitates blissful ignorance of Franklin's intemperate rants.

--------------------

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

Anne Graham Lotz writes books declaring that we are in the End Times as evidenced by our decadent morals and things like Katrina and 9/11. She thinks we're being punished. In a television interview she said:
quote:

In light of recent events .. terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in body our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. the Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

I heard this speech paraphrased by a local, preacher and thought WTH? First of all Dr. Spock was not particularly permissive, he just thought it was better to explain things to children than to whip them with belts, but I knew he didn't have a child who committed suicide. He does have a grandson who killed himself while having a psychotic episode due to schizophrenia. She was fairly gloating over the thought of the young man's death as well as O'Hare's murder.
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Enoch:
quote:
In genetics only. This is one of those cases where the apple really does fall far from the tree. The fact that Franklin was given the family mantle in lieu of his far more thoughtful and talented sister Anne is all the evidence anyone needs of the evils of sexism.
Anne's blog where she explains why she is against gay marriage. I actually think I like Franklin better. At least he sticks to his fundamentalist script all the way. Anne tries to sneak around it when it comes to her own desire to preach. As a Southern Baptist she says women shouldn't be pastors but it's okay for her to preach so long as it's in a giant stadium and not in a church.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

The Graham children would be more famous in the UK if they came over here to do some evangelism, as their dad did. That would draw more attention than talking about the End Times. The daily hustle has to go on until Jesus gets back here, End Times or not!

As for Westerners offering evangelism alongside material benefits to the developing world, I think that by now the evangelism has probably served its purpose. The Global South is already on track to become the centre of worldwide Christianity. Perhaps the OCC should be sending its offensive tracts to Wolverhampton and Antwerp instead!

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Anne's blog where she explains why she is against gay marriage. I actually think I like Franklin better. At least he sticks to his fundamentalist script all the way. Anne tries to sneak around it when it comes to her own desire to preach. As a Southern Baptist she says women shouldn't be pastors but it's okay for her to preach so long as it's in a giant stadium and not in a church.

Good point. Yes, they are both prone to making the sort of awful statements in the name of Christ that make one want to bury their head and hide from the shame of it all. With Franklin it's a constant-- any time anything is in the news he feels the need to pop his head up and produce some ill-adviced, theologically problematic, ignorant, homophobic, right-wing blather. With Anne is less frequent, and I have heard her give some lovely sermons from time to time. But as you say, maybe that just makes her rhetorical sins all the more subversive. At least with Franklin we can all see what we're getting.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:

Good point. Yes, they are both prone to making the sort of awful statements in the name of Christ that make one want to bury their head and hide from the shame of it all. With Franklin it's a constant-- any time anything is in the news he feels the need to pop his head up and produce some ill-adviced, theologically problematic, ignorant, homophobic, right-wing blather. With Anne is less frequent, and I have heard her give some lovely sermons from time to time. But as you say, maybe that just makes her rhetorical sins all the more subversive. At least with Franklin we can all see what we're getting.
Neither of them would be of much interest if they had a different dad.

Tubbs

[ 26. October 2014, 12:27: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Graham children would be more famous in the UK if they came over here to do some evangelism, as their dad did. That would draw more attention than talking about the End Times. The daily hustle has to go on until Jesus gets back here, End Times or not!

As for Westerners offering evangelism alongside material benefits to the developing world, I think that by now the evangelism has probably served its purpose. The Global South is already on track to become the centre of worldwide Christianity. Perhaps the OCC should be sending its offensive tracts to Wolverhampton and Antwerp instead!

OCCs original focus was Eastern Europe post-1989, specifically Rumania which was probably in more trouble than other countries. I don't think the need for evangelism has lessened there, nor the need to relief the dull lives of millions of children.

There are far worse evils than dogmatic and offensive tracts. Just think what they get used for in places where everyday necessities are missing!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

I agree with Tubbs about the young Grahams. I really wasn't crazy about Billy and some of his doings with the Presidents, either.

I just wouldn't give up a charity that I thought was doing some good because of something said by one of the charity's leaders. For all I know there are people on the business end of Doctors Without Borders, Oxfam, cancer research, whatever, who have views with which I'm not in agreement. I'm much more interested in how much of the contribution reaches the intended purpose compared to admin costs, etc. The things you can research on Charity Navigator. Of course this little OCC is not intended for such great things, so all the more reason not to inspect everyone up the chain for flaws.

ETA: What Sioni said.

[ 26. October 2014, 14:44: Message edited by: Twilight ]

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
OCCs original focus was Eastern Europe post-1989, specifically Rumania which was probably in more trouble than other countries. I don't think the need for evangelism has lessened there, nor the need to relief the dull lives of millions of children.

Yes, the British shoebox appeals seem to focus on Eastern Europe quite a bit, and on Romania particularly.

I'd assumed, though, that Romania was a country with a largely Christian heritage. A quick visit to Wiki tells me that 99.5% of Romanians identify as Christians, which appears to be one of the highest percentage rates in the world! This doesn't mean that they're all believers, of course (and the figure is probably inaccurate), but neither does it suggest that the need for evangelism there is distinctively high. It would surely be higher in the UK or Belgium, with 59.3% and 64.1% respectively.

Most Romanians are Eastern Orthodox, according to Wiki. Maybe foreign evangelists like the OCC folk have difficulties in recognising this as a 'sound' form of Christianity.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone with a Romanian partner, I can certainly confirm that it is a very religious country. Even during Communist times, religion still featured heavily.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016