homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Myers Briggs for congregations? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Myers Briggs for congregations?
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bishop of Manchester is quoted in today's Times on a survey that was done using MBT on a Christmas carol service congregation last year. Apparently the survey shoed that roughly 70% of the congregation were 'guardian' types - that is resistant to change - and that the religious quest scoring was surprisingly low, so of course he went on to say this could explain innate conservatism (as he sees it) in congregations.

Your thoughts?

More to the point, is there much value using for such a survey a service which by its very nature was bound to include a much higher proportion of non-regular churchgoers?

FWIW, I think the bishop is using this to have a subtle dig at congregations - not, as he says, because of issues such as SSM but more to do with liturgical choices.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably by guardian type you meant guardian temperament?

The late, lamented, ken would be licking his lips at this point!

[ 25. October 2014, 09:11: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seeing that Myers-Briggs only confirms to people what they think they are like and has nothing to do with what they are really like I find this rather irrelevant.

Plus it was done at a Christmas Carol service, which is traditional, so that this particular service would attract those who see themselves as traditional, or lovers of the traditional, all I have to say is, "Move along, nothing to see here."

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'll give it a bit of a spin. If you want to take Myers Briggs seriously (and not everyone does) then it's important to take its recommended methodological approach seriously. That includes a long questionnaire, an initial disclosure of type and a one-one review with a qualified trainer to look at any matters of clarification over meaning and analysis. It also includes an emphasis that typing indicates preferences rather than matters of personal identity (e.g. the statement "I prefer extraversion" is a more accurate summary than "I am an extravert"). Any use of it for pigeon-holing people is a misuse.

There is a lot of misapplication of MB. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

[ 25. October 2014, 09:21: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly my sentiments, Barnabas62.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite so.

I would have thought that all of this could have been stated without any recourse to Myers-Briggs. Isn't this why we get such a good turnout to Christmas carol services?

Yes, mentioning M-B when Ken was around would be like waving a red rag at a bull! To be honest, it does little for me either.

I used to have a boss who was deeply into psychometric testing of every kind, so I (and all my colleagues) were regularly typed. Some of those tests were actually very useful. Belbin's for example (relating to team-working) was helpful to me. I don't really know why M-B never seemed convincing. Maybe it's because of its roots in Jungian psychology, which few people believe in these days, though I am aware it does have some correlation with more scientifically-based cognitive psychology.

Oh well. Just put me in whatever category says MBTI is bollocks.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't buy completely into M-B, but it did give me some insights.

One was in the area of private prayer. I had heard that you should set aside a time every day for prayer and Bible reading. Whenever I tried that, I was completely unable to concentrate. Then I came across a book that discussed appropriate worship styles for the different types. My type (INFP) does best praying at odd moments during the day. I had actually noticed this about myself, but I still tried to follow the set-aside-time approach. It was a relief to abandon it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it possible to discern an MBTI profile that relates to a particular congregation because different types have different worship styles so choose what sort of church to worship in (at least in cities where there is choice).

As INTJ, I am drawn to quiet low masses or a well-ordered solemn mass. I loathe happy clappy to such an extend that I'd prefer not to go to church at all if there was no other option available.

The church I 'belong to' is Guardian reading but of the 'P' type - always exploring options, never coming to a decision. It irritates me considerably but is 'god for me.'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you do MB and have people focus on it seriously when they have gathered for an entirely different reason?

I get rather different answers when I try MB, depending on such things as whether I am thinking about my role on the job or my behaviors & interests off the job, and also on my mood at the time. It's a snapshot of a moment, not an analysis of permanent personality. Personalities evolve.

As someone said, people come to carol services because they are looking for some traditional Christmas. Do lots of new Christmas songs and people will leave disappointed. They want hark the herald angels and silent night. I have atheist friends who want a carol service on Christmas eve.

(Question - will the Christmas eve phenomenon continue another generation? Or is it a relic of the 50s mostly intact families who mostly went to church? Do 30-somethings look for a carol service, or just 60-somethings?)

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are a few studies, not focused exclusively on the results of Myers Briggs tests, that show how churchgoers and the clergy of various denominations differ psychologically from the wider population.

I think it's useful that this kind of research goes on. It's just one of the tools that churches can use to reflect on the challenges that they face.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am interested in MB, and use it a little with leaders mostly so I can understand and relate to them. I also understand that a congregation develop a group personality as do other cultures, but how would one type a congregation as a whole?

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
There are a few studies, not focused exclusively on the results of Myers Briggs tests, that show how churchgoers and the clergy of various denominations differ psychologically from the wider population.

And often, how clergy differ from their congregations. Explaining any number of conflicts.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Presumably by guardian type you meant guardian temperament?

The late, lamented, ken would be licking his lips at this point!

I never met him, but in so many ways, how I miss Ken.

Of course to anyone in the UK 'Guardian Type' means the sort of person who reads the Guardian. I suspect that of all Keirsey's types, his Guardians are least likely to read the Guardian. Kearsey's Guardians read the Times or the Telegraph. It's Keirsey's Idealists who read the Guardian.

I too don't take Myers-Briggs totally seriously. It's a useful tool only so far as one doesn't regard it as an authoritative explanation for anything. However, I think the story about the Bishop of Manchester does suggest something else, different from the point it's supposed to be making. This is that:-

a. clergy tend not to be like a lot of the people in their congregations, and

b. some sorts of people who are quite numerous in congregations and among the population at large, are much less likely than other sorts of people to be found among the clergy.

Looking at the Keirsey temperaments, how many clergy do you know who are 'Guardians' in that sense rather than 'Guardian readers'?

If churches are predisposed to see spirituality in terms of how strongly people exhibit 'religious quest', whatever that means, and providing for it, perhaps they are not providing the sort of church life that feeds, energises or engages quite large swathes of people.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am an INFJ which is rare in the general population but not in the church. I'm currently between churches, but I'm not sure I've ever been to an actual church that's very INFJ-heavy. SCM on the other hand, is FULL of us, or ENFJs/ISFJs.

I don't take MBTI very seriously - I take it about as seriously as what Hogwarts House I'm in. It gives some insights into character but I wouldn't base business (or indeed church) decisions on it. I do find it interesting comparing enneagram type with MBTI type - my enneagram is the Loyalist (forget which number that is, I think it's 9?) which seems to not be very common for an INFJ. I must say that as someone who just felt very odd/on the fringes her whole life, being an INFJ makes a lot of sense, and not just for flattering reasons.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Myers Briggs for congregations?

No, never.

Myers Briggs is pernicious bollocks.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am having the same reaction as many others on this thread ... just seeing the title made me miss ken and the reaction he would undoubtedly have had.

[Votive]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find MB helpful for giving me names for aspects of myself. Fine, it just gives names to things I already think about myself, but before they were named I didn't have any way to think about them. I don't think of myself as having to be restricted by an MB type, or that I'm wholly one way and not another on any of the four axes. But it gives me a framework to think about some things.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I find MB helpful for giving me names for aspects of myself. Fine, it just gives names to things I already think about myself, but before they were named I didn't have any way to think about them. I don't think of myself as having to be restricted by an MB type, or that I'm wholly one way and not another on any of the four axes. But it gives me a framework to think about some things.

Exactly this. The point is to create awareness about yourself, and about others. As much as anything it's supposed to make you conscious that there are a heck of a lot of other people in the world who don't operate in the same way that you do.

Which is why it's good in leadership and management contexts. A good leader has to be aware that they can't just expect everyone to be clones of themselves (nor would it be beneficial if they were).

It seems to me that church leadership would sometimes benefit from a bit of insight along those lines.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:

Exactly this x2. Is it fair to say that being able to describe something (our own nature / character in this case) is pretty much a necessary step on the path to understanding that thing?

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:

No, never.

Agreed. Seeing as God doesn't categorise me - why should anyone else? I've always refused to do it - and others of its ilk.

It's basis in Jungian psychology (based on an atheistic worldview) doesn't help either.

Bilge

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jung an atheist? I've seen him called many things, but never that. In fact, he used to say that he knew that God exists.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Jung an atheist? I've seen him called many things, but never that. In fact, he used to say that he knew that God exists.

he used to say that but denied it later.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:

Citation please.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Jung said he didn't believe that in God because he knew that God existed and said that a knowledge through a relationship meant that he no longer needed to believe because he knew.

Some took the I don't believe in God thing out of context and took it to mean Jung to have turned Atheist.

As for a citation, the site I have found which says this has a quote from Jung dated 1965, pretty good for someone who died in '61.

Anyone got a decent source on this?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

One of the most famous is the TV interview, where I think he says, I don't believe, I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ25Ai__FYU

But Jung has been criticized fiercely in psychology and psychotherapy precisely because he brought spiritual and religious concepts and images in. It also led in part to his split with Freud, who hated all this 'occult' stuff, as he called it.

Of course, Jung was open to many different kinds of religious belief and imagery as being significant, and probably, archetypal.

To call him an atheist is laughable.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Related to this is his famous idea that the loss of religion has made humans sick:

“The gods have become diseases; Zeus no longer rules Olympus but rather the solar plexus, and produces curious specimens for the doctor’s consulting room, or disorders the brains of politicians and journalists who unwittingly let loose psychic epidemics on the world”

Commentary on the Secret of the Golden Flower.

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, never.

Agreed. Seeing as God doesn't categorise me - why should anyone else? I've always refused to do it - and others of its ilk.

It's basis in Jungian psychology (based on an atheistic worldview) doesn't help either.

Bilge

God also doesn't brush His teeth, so why should you?

And it seems pretty arrogant to say that something is nonsense just because it was invented by an atheist. Lots of things you find useful will be based on an atheistic worldview.

Like I've already said, I don't take it hugely seriously or base decisions on it, but MBTI is very useful for insight into your own personality.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The research base for it is pretty crap, there is a fair bit in common with a skilled cold reading.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

Yes. Like cold reading M-B tells you what you think about yourself. Both have their uses, M-B is often misused, but it is far from the bollocks or bilge it has been called upthread.

But the statistics are both bollocks and bilge. Taking a sample from a traditional service and then complaining that the people their like traditional stuff is not so much a misuse of Myers-Briggs, but the statistics are so flawed as to be completely useless.

But then 9 out of every 8 people misunderstand statistics, don't they.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this is not an entirely serious question, but does anyone know whether people who think Myers Briggs is nonsense, of whom I am one, tend to be concentrated in any particular personality type or whether we are spread equally across then all ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet they are 'T' - thinkers rather than feelers.

And J - because once their minds are made up, they don't entertain any new evidence and are not persuaded by other people.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
... my enneagram is the Loyalist ...

I sometimes wonder what Shipmates look like but I had never quite envisaged you as looking like
this - or even this....

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
... my enneagram is the Loyalist ...

I sometimes wonder what Shipmates look like but I had never quite envisaged you as looking like
this - or even this....

[Big Grin]

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MB isn't nonsense, but it is pretty limited in what it can tell us. Leo's hero, Ken Leech, used to call it "horoscopes for the middle class".

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS. From my point of view ( INFJ since you ask) carol services aren't traditional at all. They are often a sentimental church service for those who want to know nothing of the commitment and challenge of faith. A cop out all too often.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, never.

Bilge

God also doesn't brush His teeth, so why should you?

And it seems pretty arrogant to say that something is nonsense just because it was invented by an atheist. Lots of things you find useful will be based on an atheistic worldview.

Like I've already said, I don't take it hugely seriously or base decisions on it, but MBTI is very useful for insight into your own personality.

God doesn't brush his teeth but it's not a key element in my salvation whether I do or not.

It's rather different with categorising people (aka judging). Jesus had a few things to say about that.

I didn't say it was nonsense because it had atheistic roots - I said (it) "..doesn't help:" its roots don't determine its validity, its expression and application does.

As for basing decisions on it, well I'm glad you and I agree there. But, there are quite a few organisations (including theological colleges) who do use for such purposes.

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's rather different with categorising people (aka judging). Jesus had a few things to say about that.

No, these are not synonyms. It's entirely true that people frequently treat them as synyonms, but they are absolute not.

I categorise people as male and female. This does not mean that I judge people on the grounds that one of these categories is 'better' than the other.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what personality type responds with "it depends" to most of the questions on the test?

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Bloody awkward.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
So what personality type responds with "it depends" to most of the questions on the test?

P definitely P. The fourth letters is either a p for perceiver or j for judge. This is in strict Myers Briggs which dimension of the previous two you extrovert (with Kiersey it is a separate dimension which is why he is confused over the MB nomenclature). Someone who makes clear choices will tend to extrovert making decisions and someone who is more tentative will tend to extrovert collecting information. So if you end up always with "depends" then you are showing clear indication of being a "p".

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Personally, I have always been a fervernt believer in Myers-Briggs since someone drew my attention to the fact that I have the same personality type as Avon from Blake's 7. Never mind the data, a naked appeal to my vanity is all you need. Brains, but no heart. Talk or scream, Travis. The choice is yours. Ahem, where was I.

Of course church congregations are conservative. They like what they've been getting. That's why they turn up on a Sunday morning. If they wanted something else, they'd be going somewhere else. It's why vicars get the woe unto Illium bit when the move the notices, or some such. Double this and add some when it comes to singing "Once in Royal David's City" and the like with all the hallowed childhood experiences that go with it. If you want to get them thinking out of the box have their child get divorced or come out, or whatever, in which case they'll start making intuitive leaps like a frog on happy pills.

Otherwise, what ken said.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should add that the fact that some people have difficulty giving clear answers as part of the model is also the reason why the test is only provisional. You need to talk with someone knowledgeable about the types, so you can question your personality type such as "I know it says I am an introvert, but really I am never happier than when I am in a crowd but it has to be a certain type of crowd. So I feel as if I am an extrovert?"

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

"It depends" answers also help illustrate that preferences are not strong in one direction, but somewhere near the middle. In the end, you have to pick something, but if small differences in the way a question is worded tend to change which side of a particular scale you're on you ought to end up with a score that's near the middle.

Conversely, if you say "it depends" but keep on picking the same side of the line, you'll end up with a strong score in that direction. But that's accurate: when push comes to shove and you have to choose, that's what you prefer, and this is all about preference.

Not only do I consistently come out as INFJ, but I consistently come out as very strongly 'N' and fairly weakly 'F', so not far from being described as INTJ instead. The thought-feeling scale being near the middle is interesting because many people initially perceive me as very "thinking", very cerebral. But in fact I do ultimately tend to prefer that a decision feels right, rather than just knowing intellectually it is right, and all sorts of things point to how I value my emotions over my intellect even though people see me as intellectual.

And the same thing happens in the Enneagram personality system, incidentally. I sit near the border between type 4 and type 5, but in the end type 4 is a better description of my drivers, strengths and weaknesses.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

ADDENDUM: Heck, if you want to see that I'm quite feeling-driven, you only need see what happens on the Ship when I get going. In Purgatory or Dead Horses it can get me plaudits. In Hell you can just watch me explode. It's both an asset and a weakness.

And really, the main benefit of these kinds of personality descriptors is more self-awareness of those assets AND weaknesses. Not least so that I'm also conscious of why other people might clash with me in some way. People who are strongly 'S' can drive me up the wall, but it's not because they're tying to do so.

[ 27. October 2014, 11:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
orfeo: "It depends" answers also help illustrate that preferences are not strong in one direction, but somewhere near the middle.
I disagree. 'It depends' doesn't mean that you don't have strong preferences. It means that they depend on the circumstances. That doesn't make them weaker.

For example, I think one of the Myers Briggs questions is "Do you use reason or feeling to take decisions?" For some decisions, I very strongly use reason. For other decisions, I very strongly use feeling. So, my answer would be 'it depends'. That doesn't make my preference weaker.

When someone takes circumstances into account in forming his/her preferences, this doesn't mean that his/her preferences are weak.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
orfeo: "It depends" answers also help illustrate that preferences are not strong in one direction, but somewhere near the middle.
I disagree. 'It depends' doesn't mean that you don't have strong preferences. It means that they depend on the circumstances. That doesn't make them weaker.

For example, I think one of the Myers Briggs questions is "Do you use reason or feeling to take decisions?" For some decisions, I very strongly use reason. For other decisions, I very strongly use feeling. So, my answer would be 'it depends'. That doesn't make my preference weaker.

When someone takes circumstances into account in forming his/her preferences, this doesn't mean that his/her preferences are weak.

This.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

And I disagree. The whole point is that you won't consistently behave in the same way. Saying that you'll consistently behave the same way in the same circumstances is answering a more specific question that isn't the one being asked. The question is what is your overall preferred method of dealing with things.

I said "not strong in one direction". Your response says "that doesn't mean my preferences aren't strong", which is missing out the second half of the phrase.

[ 27. October 2014, 11:50: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
orfeo: I said "not strong in one direction". Your response says "that doesn't mean my preferences aren't strong", which is missing out the second half of the phrase.
Maybe. I still don't think my preferences are 'somewhere near the middle' though.

When I decide with which company I'll buy my next flight ticket, my preference is strongly towards reason. When I decide what I'll eat for dinner tonight, my preference is strongly towards feeling.

I guess you could average them out and say 'Between reason and feeling, your preference is somewhere in the middle', but I don't think this average means a lot.

Perhaps my preference between reason and feeling isn't some kind of bell curve with a big bulge near the middle.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Perhaps my preference between reason and feeling isn't some kind of bell curve with a big bulge near the middle.

And yet, the fact that the average is near the middle is a perfectly accurate description of you saying "it depends", is it not? It does depend. You have extremely clear ideas of WHAT it depends on, rather than it being some kind of random roll-the-dice exercise, but it is entirely consistent with what I originally said about a score near the middle.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
orfeo: And yet, the fact that the average is near the middle is a perfectly accurate description of you saying "it depends", is it not? It does depend.
In your original post, you didn't say 'the average is near the middle', you said 'the preference is near the middle'. There's a difference here.

Suppose that exactly half of the Australian has a strong preference for Coca Cola, and that exactly half of the population prefers Pepsi. Yes, you could say 'the average is near the middle'. But would you say 'the preference is near the middle?'. No-one's preference is near the middle (whatever that would be). They all have a strong preference towards one side.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016